Felt the need to comment but would be torn apart for saying this on social media.
Don’t like him much. The rape allegations have to be dealt with properly and if proven who should go to prison.
The part I’m slightly uncomfortable with in the Dispatches show is some of the coercive control allegations when he’s been working as a presenter, which appear to have been consensual sexual relationships but later regretted by those who had sex with him. I worked overseas in an 18-30 type holiday resort, where I had sex on a regular basis with girls who were on holiday and who probably wouldn’t have done so I’d met them in Birmingham on a Saturday night. I was in a position where I got free drinks and free entry to clubs and I, like many others, enjoyed the celebrity style status that came with the job. There were most likely girls that went home to their boyfriends and regretted sleeping with the lad they met on holiday, but it was always consensual and we always said goodbye on good terms.
That was over 20 years ago and I look back fondly at my few years of promiscuity, but equally I imagine there are girls that I had sex with that look back and think it wasn’t their best decision to shag me after drinking too much on holiday. Again I must say that it was always consensual and often I was pissed as well, I generally remember everything when drinking. I’m always been level headed and in control of my behaviour with or without alcohol.
I also slept with some fatties and mingers in that time which I don’t regret, but I do question my decision making. I remember these fondly despite some flabby flashbacks, and from memory they enjoyed it more than I did so do they take advantage of me on those occasions?
Anyway, felt I needed to write this down as the show made me think about those years and my own decisions, and question whether I’d been coercive or taken advantage, but I can’t say that I honestly believe I did either of these things. But 20 years later would those women I met look back at the one night stand on the beach with regret, or blame me for leading a bar crawl or booze cruise and then shagging them on the balcony a few hours later.
I guess the same could be said for bouncers, DJ’s and barman all over the world. Some jobs get you more sex, but does that does that mean that you’re taking advantage of the opportunity to attract more women and therefore have more sec, or does that mean that you’re taking advantage of the woman?
I’ve had a few beers so wanted to share my thoughts.