Andy Burnham is full of plans – and to be fair, some of them are quite brave. Indeed perhaps the main difference between him and Keir Starmer is that he has a certain amount of political courage.
But plans are all very well. I might plan to go to Sainsbury’s with a shopping list that includes Laurent-Perrier Brut Millésimé Vintage 2015 Champagne, Leap Wild MSC Sockeye Smoked Salmon and an Odysea Greek Feast Hamper – but my plans would bite the dust when I discovered that I had only a tenner in my wallet.
Burnham is almost certainly going to find himself in a comparable position.
Then there’s his proposal to rejoin the European Union at some point. As Captain Mainwaring used to say to Corporal Jones when he came up with one of his hare-brained schemes, “I think we’re in the realms of fantasy there, Burnham.”
The idea that any such process would be painless and seamless either from the “within-UK” or the European point of view is for the birds.
If we tried to re-enter the EU, some of the terms would be highly controversial. Schengen, anyone? The single currency?
Brexit – engineered by two liars and charlatans (Johnson and Farage) who hadn’t a clue what its consequences would be – was the biggest British political mistake of my lifetime. But rejoining the EU is out of the question, not least because we would almost certainly be required to sign up for the single currency, a concept to which many Britons are viscerally opposed. The best we can hope for is to negotiate closer trading arrangements while remaining outside the bloc.
Which policies he's espousing are you opposed to?
Reforming social care?
Building more council homes?
Greater public control of water?
Greater public control of energy?
Having closer ties with Europe?
Electoral reform?
I’m in favour of most of the above, just as I’m in favour of motherhood and apple pie. (Although I’m not entirely sure about greater greater public control of utilities. On the surface it seems an unanswerably good thing, but it’s an area I know little about – except that it’s complicated.)
But that “menu” will cost an absolute fortune, as the top part of this post suggests. Where’s the money coming from?