Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Best shaving cream for your face.  (Read 410 times)

Offline standardpostage

Best shaving cream for your face.
Just bought some Wilkinson Sword Coconut Shave Cream.
Great stuff. Highly recommended. 10 out of 10.
£4.50. 175 ml. Cheaper if you shop around.

Offline Steely Dan

An average shave gel provides better lubrication than the best shave cream.

Offline Blackpool Rock

Is there actually anything special about any shave cream / gel, IMO you may as well just use a small amount of liquid soap / hand wash as all you need to do is provide some lubrication for the blade  :unknown:

Offline Ahalfa Carling

I like the "Taylor of Old Bond Street" products.

My favourite is either the Lime Zest or Peppermint "flavour".

OK, not cheap, but lovely stuff.

Offline Jonestown

Is there actually anything special about any shave cream / gel, IMO you may as well just use a small amount of liquid soap / hand wash as all you need to do is provide some lubrication for the blade  :unknown:

Inclined to agree with you, I once had a wet shave at a dockside barber in Istanbul, they used an open disposable razor, Nivea Gel for the shave, followed by a splash of lime aftershave and finished off with Nivea aftershave balm. Another time I mistook my partner's contact lens cleaning solution for shave oil, shaved and didn't even notice the difference, in the long run cleaning lens solution is more expensive than Nivea Gel.

Offline shed

I have used hair conditioner for some time and find it does the job perfectly. Gives a smooth shave all round

Offline Steely Dan

They contain emollients and lubricants that are better than soap and water. Water provided some lubrication, but it is not the best.  They also contain humectants which hydrate the beard/hair (and the skin a bit).  If you shave directly out of a 10 minute hot shower, the beard is fully hydrated so this is not a big deal.  If you are not right out of a shower, wait 5 minutes after you apply the product before you shave. (Sorry if everyone knows this).

Gel is denser than foam, so provides more lubrication per cm2.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 08:01:45 pm by Steely Dan »

Offline standardpostage

An average shave gel provides better lubrication than the best shave cream.
I have used shaving gel before.

But I think that this is better  :unknown:

Online hendrix

I've tried loads at all different price points. My favourite is the Liz Earle cream. Only needs a small amount to lather up and seems to suit my skin.

Offline standardpostage

Iv'e also sometimes used liquid soap, but Wilkinsons stuff appears smoother  :unknown:

Online scutty brown

It's caustic/alkaline to open up and soften the hair protein, makes it easier to cut

Offline Doormatt

Lovely to have one on the wrist with. Great lubricant. :D

Offline standardpostage

I like the "Taylor of Old Bond Street" products.

My favourite is either the Lime Zest or Peppermint "flavour".

OK, not cheap, but lovely stuff.
Just had a quick look. £14.95 + postage. Must be good  :hi:

Offline standardpostage

I've tried loads at all different price points. My favourite is the Liz Earle cream. Only needs a small amount to lather up and seems to suit my skin.
Just had a google £14. Appears good .

Offline standardpostage

I have used hair conditioner for some time and find it does the job perfectly. Gives a smooth shave all round
Yes, also guilty of using wife's hair conditioner  :)

Offline standardpostage

Online PepeMAGA

Harrys I find the best for a close and unirritated shave.
Any kind of shave oil I think is terrible

Online WASA38

Harrys I find the best for a close and unirritated shave.
Any kind of shave oil I think is terrible
-and leaves a disgusting intractable mess round the wash basin !

Online PepeMAGA

Yes, all round a bad idea. I've bought it a couple of times thinking it would be good for traveling, but then I remember why I didn't keep using it

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

I used to use shaving foam until about 10 years ago when I switched to a shaving brush and shaving cream combo which gives the best shave results ever.

The brush helps lift the bristle from the skin and the cream keeps it there. The tubs of cream last for a long time and if a brush and cream are good enough for all of those barbers out there that offer shaving services then they’re good enough for me.

Online Pillowtalk

I used to use shaving foam until about 10 years ago when I switched to a shaving brush and shaving cream combo which gives the best shave results ever.

The brush helps lift the bristle from the skin and the cream keeps it there. The tubs of cream last for a long time and if a brush and cream are good enough for all of those barbers out there that offer shaving services then they’re good enough for me.

Agreed.

Offline standardpostage

:)

Offline standardpostage

I remember buying a shaving brush, "but" the bristles / hair kept falling off, and being left in the sink  :(

That's because I was a cheapskate and bought the cheapest brush available. About £4, I think at the time.

I now realise, good ones are very expensive.

Offline Jonestown

I remember buying a shaving brush, "but" the bristles / hair kept falling off, and being left in the sink  :(

That's because I was a cheapskate and bought the cheapest brush available. About £4, I think at the time.

I now realise, good ones are very expensive.

The best are made from Badger hair, Geo Trumper of Jermyn Street will charge you upto £150 for one.

Offline Punterperson1971

Yes, also guilty of using wife's hair conditioner  :)
I’m also guilty of using your wife’s hair conditioner  :D :D :lol: :lol:
I use Nivea hemp oil for men and their face balm and face moisturiser as well
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 03:29:01 pm by Punterperson1971 »

Offline standardpostage

The best are made from Badger hair, Geo Trumper of Jermyn Street will charge you upto £150 for one.
:thumbsup:

Offline standardpostage

I’m also guilty of using your wife’s hair conditioner  :D :D :lol: :lol:
I use Nivea hemp oil for men and their face balm and face moisturiser as well
:)
 :thumbsup:

Offline binbag

I'm a fan of the badger brush and shaving soap. I have an old brush that I've had for decades. It's still great. I bought a new one a few years ago that I travel with - still badger but it wasn't too dear. It comes with a metal carrying tube which converts to a handle. Excellent! Cant remember the name of it. Sorry.