Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Finance & Investments  (Read 3577 times)

Offline Malvolio

Not most people, but most people over the age of 45.

If you're in that age group, you would have started full-time work in the nineties or earlier, when they were still commonplace in the private sector.   Bear in mind I'm referring to a deferred pension, rather than one you're still accruing benefits in.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 11:44:41 pm by Malvolio »

Offline RandomGuy99

If you're in that age group, you would have started full-time work in the nineties or earlier, when they were still commonplace in the private sector.   Bear in mind I'm referring to a deferred pension, rather than one you're still accruing benefits in.
Most people won't have stayed in the same job for 25+ years and their new job will most likely not have a final salary pension.  People are generally expected to have around 4 occupational pension pots by the time they retire.  Some will have more. 

Offline Blackpool Rock

Perhaps in larger organisations however even then I worked for a company which has a massive American parent company and by the late 80's they had ditched the old defined benefits pension for a defined contribution one

I was very young at the time, can't remember if we had a choice or whether we were conned and railroaded to switch but it was said that the company had worked out the defined benefit pension was "Unaffordable"

Offline windowlicker

Open DB schemes have been in decline in the private sector, falling from an estimated 11% of schemes in 2012 to 4% in 2023 (see Figure One). The 199 remaining open schemes had 1,217,076 members, 446,332 of whom were still actively contributing, and an estimated £165 billion in assets.26 Mar 2024

Offline PilotMan

If you're in that age group, you would have  started full-time work in the nineties or earlier, when they were still commonplace in the private sector.   Bear in mind I'm referring to a deferred pension, rather than one you're still accruing benefits in.

Yep, that's me. My first job was with a Government organisation, they never offered me such a scheme.

Offline RandomGuy99

Yep, that's me. My first job was with a Government organisation, they never offered me such a scheme.
Civil Service pensions do have some good contributions from the employer though

External Link/Members Only

Offline PilotMan

You've got me thinking, I'm going to check to see if there was some sort of scheme running.

I was 16 when I got my first job, thinking about pensions wouldn't have been on top of my action list, whereas getting a motorbike was  :D

Offline Pillowtalk

Check these contribution rates - add employer and employee contributions rates together and you get about 1/3 of payroll costs, with the employer paying the lions share.

Offline RandomGuy99

You've got me thinking, I'm going to check to see if there was some sort of scheme running.

I was 16 when I got my first job, thinking about pensions wouldn't have been on top of my action list, whereas getting a motorbike was  :D
See External Link/Members Only