Recommended 
Any one here volunteering ?
I've been volunteering for the last 30 years I think. With local communities, charities and other non-profit organisations. It's the most rewarding and satisfying thing I have done and still do to this day. The upsides, apart from helping your local community, is you get to meet people from all walks of life, especially the ones that you wouldn't normally meet as they are outside your own social circle.
My life has been greatly enriched by volunteering. The only downside is that once you get to be known as a "reliable and trustworthy" person and if you have certain skills you are bombarded with requests for help. Couple that if you are a person who can't say "no" when people ask for help you get to have very little time for yourself to wind down. Mrs A had to have a few words with me as I was way too busy out there so I had to cut volunteering down. I'm involved with only two organisations now. I have a few more years before I retire, I might increase my volunteering once I retire because I really enjoy it.
I'm particularly proud of one local non-profit organisation I helped to build from the ground up to become a multi-award winning organisation (of course can't disclose which type of org. etc.) To be recognised nationally by your peers for years of hard work is something amazing (apologies for the boasting.)
I always lived by what my grandfather said to me when I was a kid. You are born with nothing, the only worthy thing given to you is your name. When you die the only thing you take with you is your name. Make sure you make your name proud.
I never really enjoyed my paid work much, so volunteering has kept me sane and, I hope, helped me make my name 'proud.'