Author Topic: Shoplifting and the breakdown of policing  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Marmalade

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 12,778
  • Likes: 37
  •  
  • Reviews: 58
These ideas are great for the "traditional" shoplifter who tries to clandestinely nick things from a shop but this new breed of mobs who do not try to hide what they are doing and will break any door to get in or out is another thing entirely

I know what you mean … but I still think something will evolve though I don’t pretend to know what it will be. Shops can’t sustain the type of gang situation you mention and I’ve seen the videos on that too. A lot of shops will simply close or move away.

Airport doors aren’t so breakable but probably rather costly. You’d also need an alternative set as back-up if the first lot were activated, trapping the thugs in between the two doors. At least until police arrive and make an arrest (and that would be an easy-peasy arrest rather than the sort that they currently class as too time-consuming low priority).

Unfortunately police are in melt down just now with their protests over carrying arms. We need to bring back profiling. It may be that some of the gangs are professional thugs, but others are showing behaviour reminiscent of illegal immigrant scenes in Italy a while back. Lawlessness is part-and-parcel of life for some of the countries they hail from.

Offline maxQ


Offline RedKettle

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,195
  • Likes: 82
  •  
  • Reviews: 103
I know what you mean … but I still think something will evolve though I don’t pretend to know what it will be. Shops can’t sustain the type of gang situation you mention and I’ve seen the videos on that too. A lot of shops will simply close or move away.

Airport doors aren’t so breakable but probably rather costly. You’d also need an alternative set as back-up if the first lot were activated, trapping the thugs in between the two doors. At least until police arrive and make an arrest (and that would be an easy-peasy arrest rather than the sort that they currently class as too time-consuming low priority).

Unfortunately police are in melt down just now with their protests over carrying arms. We need to bring back profiling. It may be that some of the gangs are professional thugs, but others are showing behaviour reminiscent of illegal immigrant scenes in Italy a while back. Lawlessness is part-and-parcel of life for some of the countries they hail from.

Police still will not attend many of those arrests. They often do not attend when the thief has been detained and the shop has gathered witnesses. The shop has to then let them go.

Offline Marmalade

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 12,778
  • Likes: 37
  •  
  • Reviews: 58
Police still will not attend many of those arrests. They often do not attend when the thief has been detained and the shop has gathered witnesses. The shop has to then let them go.

They might be more inclined if it were a tickbox stopover. Electronic evidence automated ready to print. While they seem disinclined to do much now, if this becomes a prolonged scandal the policy could well change. Aldi already have photo recognition and exit barriers. The Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 is not exactly fit for purpose.

I'm not claiming to have answers, simply looking in the direction for some possibilities. The alternative is vast numbers of stores closing.

Offline Adoniron

To save themselves money or to keep prices low for you?

How very benevolent of them. What philanthropists they are. We should all be so grateful.

Offline standardpostage

There is no "real" deterrent for shoplifting, only embarrassment (if you are not a professional shoplifter).

Professional shoplifters have no embarrassment, therefore have no deterrent.

I read somewhere that only an extremely small amount of stuff gets nicked via shoplifters,

whereas most of the goods get stolen by staff / delivery / storage and other handlers, even before it gets to the shops. [Obviously I could be wrong].

I think the word shoplifter does not seem to have the same stigma as thief  :unknown:

Offline RedKettle

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,195
  • Likes: 82
  •  
  • Reviews: 103
How very benevolent of them. What philanthropists they are. We should all be so grateful.

You really don’t get retail do you. Or business.

People are incredibly price sensitive and will switch shops over pennies per product. The shops drive costs down ,like the self service tills, to be competitive.

Offline Adoniron

You really don’t get retail do you. Or business.

People are incredibly price sensitive and will switch shops over pennies per product. The shops drive costs down ,like the self service tills, to be competitive.

I go to Aldi. No self service tills. Cheaper than everywhere else.

Offline Marmalade

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 12,778
  • Likes: 37
  •  
  • Reviews: 58
I go to Aldi. No self service tills. Cheaper than everywhere else.

Maybe you have a posh Aldi. The one I went to once has so many automated checkouts that the one fat bird on staff duty was so far away she couldn’t see when someone needed ‘help’.

Open 24h and big range of products. Especially for fans of bulk junk food.
Fill up your station wagon and let the bairns sit inside with the dogs as a treat ;-)

Offline RedKettle

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,195
  • Likes: 82
  •  
  • Reviews: 103
I go to Aldi. No self service tills. Cheaper than everywhere else.

They have a very successful system and they make cost cutting/efficiency almost a religion.  Just to give one small example they changed the set up for the printing of receipts to use less paper - saved perhaps a cm per receipt (I cannot remember the exact numbers but you get the idea) which equated to 100s of thousands of pounds across the chain.

They are now introducing self service tills.

Offline Adoniron

Maybe you have a posh Aldi. The one I went to once has so many automated checkouts that the one fat bird on staff duty was so far away she couldn’t see when someone needed ‘help’.

Open 24h and big range of products. Especially for fans of bulk junk food.
Fill up your station wagon and let the bairns sit inside with the dogs as a treat ;-)

There are no self service tills at the three stores closest to me. In fact I've never been in a store with them.

Offline Marmalade

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 12,778
  • Likes: 37
  •  
  • Reviews: 58
There are no self service tills at the three stores closest to me. In fact I've never been in a store with them.

Different stores, different places.

They no doubt customise according to an area’s demands etc. Like Lidl. Some of their stores are so manly you need a wash afterwards. But there’s one on the outskirts of town that’s beautiful.

Offline standardpostage

They have a very successful system and they make cost cutting/efficiency almost a religion.  Just to give one small example they changed the set up for the printing of receipts to use less paper - saved perhaps a cm per receipt (I cannot remember the exact numbers but you get the idea) which equated to 100s of thousands of pounds across the chain.

They are now introducing self service tills.
There is a LIDL near me.

They always ask "do you want a receipt ?)

Offline RedKettle

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,195
  • Likes: 82
  •  
  • Reviews: 103
There are no self service tills at the three stores closest to me. In fact I've never been in a store with them.

They have just started to implement them so I suspect you will get them within the next 6 months. Unless they are running a trial first in which case may be longer.


Online Watts.E.Dunn

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 2,632
  • Likes: 69
  •  
  • Reviews: 47
I can see the das when theri will be only small Tescos etc the big ones will become delivery depots doing direct to home deliveries where the gear will be paid for up front the mini ones will have very small stocks etc..

Offline radioman33

The co-op have lost 33 million in the first 6 months of this year shop theft.