I do know what you mean and like I said I don't know the solution, even if the police did respond immediately by the time they arrive the gangs will be long gone.
But once again my point was in response to - "On some of my travels around Europe I have seen, what can best be described as, a two tier policing system. Local misdeameanours, parking tickets, domestic arguments, shop lifting etc are dealt with by the "City Police" whilst more serious crimes are dealt with by another branch."
We already have that with different departments within the police and I did ask the OP what others he would like to see. 
Apologies then as it sounded like you were referencing the typical shoplifting problem that has existed for years whereas I am talking about the relatively new phenonemon of mass looting/shoplifting.
There's loads of different branches within our police forces already? What others do you want? 
They start from the normal 'beat bobby' going up through traffic, major crime, anti terrorist, diplomatic protection and everything in between. Northumbria even have Dedicated Liaison officers for sex workers.
It's a sad fact of life, just as they can't catch every speeder they can't catch every shoplifter, that's why shops have their own security.
I disagree that our current policiing is already divided up into branches which serve the community.
Traffic police is essentially "motorway" police. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of their time is spent on motorways, not really influencing issues in local neighbourhoods.
Major crime, anti terrorist, diplomatic.....none of which help to impact low level community crime.
If we bring more police in all under the same banner then they will just get pulled in the same direction as the existing police force. I think it was on this forum that someone coined the phrase describing the police as "paramilitary social workers".
There are no "beat bobbys" around my way and haven't been for years.
Current policing isn't working and so yes, perhaps a pseudo police force that works in conjunction with other departments could be a solution.