Author Topic: Dublin Preclearance for transit to third country  (Read 1087 times)

Offline The High Sparrow

I am wondering if i can tap into the collective wisdom/knowledge of the hive mind. if anyone with knowledge or experience please share with me

I'm planning a trip from London Heathrow to Cancun, with a stopover in Dublin and then another one in DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth). I'm wondering if I can go through the Preclearance process in Dublin, even though I'm heading to Mexico. The reason I'm asking is because I've got a pretty tight connection time in DFW, only 75 minutes between flights. Using Preclearance in Dublin could really help me make that connection. Also, does anyone know if my checked bags will be automatically sent on to Cancun?

thanks for any help given

Offline lillythesavage

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Banned
  • Posts: 2,666
  • Likes: 36
  •  
  • Reviews: 17
As far as I am aware, pre-clearance is only for entry to the USA, and only on pre arranged flights that normally go through Shannon airport.

Not heard of it being available in Dublin, or for other destinations, or on a single case basis, just flights that have this arranged, the New York flight from LCY being one, they have to refuel in Shannon as the plane is to heavy with a full fuel load, and pre-clearance is done while the passengers have to alight while refuelling.

Google, other search engines are available :D, may give you more answers.
Banned reason: Undesirable, previously banned, still attacking members, discussing UKP with SP, toxic personality, it’s a no from me!,
Banned by: Iloveoral

Offline timsussex

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,364
  • Likes: 103
  •  
  • Reviews: 36
never done it so I dont know but I imagine pre clearance applies to whole plane - otherwise they would need to separate you at DFW which defeats the point of the arrival being treated as a domestic one
In general transit in USA is counted as entry you will need an ESTA
ask on the headforpoints forum someone there will have personal experience

Offline FLYING BLUE

You will still need to gain official entrance into the USA despite the fact you are 'in transit'

Aer Lingus have many flights to the USA from Dublin with pre-clearance taken care of in Dublin so when you arrive in the USA, there's no need to go via US Customs - you will need to go via DUB from a local UK airport though.

Whilst Aer Lingus also flies direct to several North American cities from Manchester, there is NO pre-clearance there

75 minutes connection time is no problem at DFW providing you land on schedule - the AL flight to DFW will gate at a Domestic terminal as opposed to the International terminal. From there, it's straightforward (assuming you have bought a through tix to CUN)

Let me know if you need any help :hi:
FB
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 08:51:01 pm by FLYING BLUE »

Offline Bonker

You should be able to breeze through. Dubliners love the pope.

Offline Malvolio

I'd suggest you look for a route that doesn't involve changing planes in the USA.

Offline The High Sparrow

I'd suggest you look for a route that doesn't involve changing planes in the USA.

unfortunately, I don't have much manoeuvring room in terms of dates. and the cheapest routes which will get me there at the right date will transit through USAotherwise i am paying 400-500 sterling more

Offline The High Sparrow

You will still need to gain official entrance into the USA despite the fact you are 'in transit'

Aer Lingus have many flights to the USA from Dublin with pre-clearance taken care of in Dublin so when you arrive in the USA, there's no need to go via US Customs - you will need to go via DUB from a local UK airport though.

Whilst Aer Lingus also flies direct to several North American cities from Manchester, there is NO pre-clearance there

75 minutes connection time is no problem at DFW providing you land on schedule - the AL flight to DFW will gate at a Domestic terminal as opposed to the International terminal. From there, it's straightforward (assuming you have bought a through tix to CUN)

Let me know if you need any help :hi:
FB

Thanks FB.

will my luggage be tagged through to CUN form DUB?

Offline chrishornx

I am wondering if i can tap into the collective wisdom/knowledge of the hive mind. if anyone with knowledge or experience please share with me

I'm planning a trip from London Heathrow to Cancun, with a stopover in Dublin and then another one in DFW (Dallas/Fort Worth). I'm wondering if I can go through the Preclearance process in Dublin, even though I'm heading to Mexico. The reason I'm asking is because I've got a pretty tight connection time in DFW, only 75 minutes between flights. Using Preclearance in Dublin could really help me make that connection. Also, does anyone know if my checked bags will be automatically sent on to Cancun?

thanks for any help given

you are flying with 2 stops which is cumbersome to start with. A nonstop or one stop Heathrow to Cancun flight would save as much time as you may get as a benefit of going through US customs in Dublin.

I am pretty sure that you will still have to clear customs in DFW before checking in to your flight to Cancun which may even be a different carrier and in a different terminal. I don't think Are Lingus fly to DFW so you will need to check that the pre-clearance facility exists for whatever airline you are using as I don't believe it is available for all Dublin to US carriers If using different airlines you will most probably have to take your baggage at DFW and check in with the new carrier so 75 minutes is very tight.

Why fly through Dublin and DFW then you can do a one flight trip to Cancun and save  a lot of time ?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 10:14:44 am by chrishornx »

Offline FLYING BLUE

Thanks FB.

will my luggage be tagged through to CUN form DUB?

Your luggage will be tagged all the way through :hi:

Also, even if you're not flying with Aer Lingus from DUB, the American carriers all use the DUB pre-clearance
« Last Edit: September 19, 2023, 10:21:31 am by FLYING BLUE »

Offline The High Sparrow

you are flying with 2 stops which is cumbersome to start with. A nonstop or one stop Heathrow to Cancun flight would save as much time as you may get as a benefit of going through US customs in Dublin.

I am pretty sure that you will still have to clear customs in DFW before checking in to your flight to Cancun which may even be a different carrier and in a different terminal. I don't think Are Lingus fly to DFW so you will need to check that the pre-clearance facility exists for whatever airline you are using as I don't believe it is available for all Dublin to US carriers If using different airlines you will most probably have to take your baggage at DFW and check in with the new carrier so 75 minutes is very tight.

Why fly through Dublin and DFW then you can do a one flight trip to Cancun and save  a lot of time ?

I don't mind the travelling and time. i am more concerned about the costs. i am looking at everything so i may yet get a more direct flight.

Offline The High Sparrow

Your luggage will be tagged all the way through :hi:

Also, even if you're not flying with Aer Lingus from DUB, the American carriers all use the DUB pre-clearance

Thanks FB