Author Topic: Tablets for enlarged prostate  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Omadon2001

I've been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.

I'm taking Tamsulosin but I Finesteride and Dutasteride don't agree with me.

My GP says that there are no more tablets available.

Is anyone taking prostate reducing drugs that are not listed above ?


Online mills_and_bhuna

Are you being tested to rule out anything sinister?
It might be worth investigating dietary solutions.
I've Neen recommended Pumpkin Seed Oil.
Just haven't got around to trying it yet.

Offline Omadon2001

I've had the finger up the bum. I've had a blood test.

I think my only vice (apart from sex) is diet pepsi. Maybe I should cut that out

Online RandomGuy99

I've had the finger up the bum. I've had a blood test.

I think my only vice (apart from sex) is diet pepsi. Maybe I should cut that out
There can be many reasons for an enlarged prostate.

Have you had the result of the blood test?

There's many reasons that can be high too.

You could do more exercise, lose weight.

Offline myothernameis

I've been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.

If you dont mind me asking, how did all of this come about, so were there things that you had noticed over the last few months, that lead up to yourself being tested

Offline scutty brown

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 25,798
  • Likes: 549
  •  
  • Reviews: 126
What's the problem with Tamsulosin? If it's giving you low blood pressure problems take it in the evenings, not the mornings.
It can take a long time to take effect: close to a year with me, and then only really after I started on Beneldopa for other problems, though the specialists think a link is unlikely

Are you taking any other drugs e.g. beta-blockers like Propranolol, or any ED drugs? Together they can cause havoc with blood pressure

Offline Jonestown

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,830
  • Likes: 144
  •  
  • Reviews: 58
OP are you comfortable with Tamsulosin ?

I found it wrecked orgasm / ejaculation and over time caused ED issues (although there may have been other reasons for that), made punting largely a waste of money.

Offline willie loman

OP are you comfortable with Tamsulosin ?

I found it wrecked orgasm / ejaculation and over time caused ED issues (although there may have been other reasons for that), made punting largely a waste of money.

Tamsulosin takes the bite off the orgasm, in my experience, plus it eventually stops being effective, so if you have an enlarged prostate surgery may follow, thats why i tell people, punt while you can.

Offline Omadon2001

OP are you comfortable with Tamsulosin ?

I found it wrecked orgasm / ejaculation and over time caused ED issues (although there may have been other reasons for that), made punting largely a waste of money.

I've been on tamsulosin for years. Without it I can't pee. Only issue I have is a "dry" ejaculation.

Offline Omadon2001

If you dont mind me asking, how did all of this come about, so were there things that you had noticed over the last few months, that lead up to yourself being tested

I'm peeing about 20 times a day and dribbling after urination (wet patches on my trousers). I went to the GP who had his finger up my bum and had a PSA blood test.
I can go for a pee, head out of the house and then have to dash back 10 minutes later.

Offline Jonestown

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,830
  • Likes: 144
  •  
  • Reviews: 58
I'm peeing about 20 times a day and dribbling after urination (wet patches on my trousers). I went to the GP who had his finger up my bum and had a PSA blood test.
I can go for a pee, head out of the house and then have to dash back 10 minutes later.

Have they checked your blood glucose levels for diabetes ?

Offline scutty brown

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 25,798
  • Likes: 549
  •  
  • Reviews: 126
I'm peeing about 20 times a day and dribbling after urination (wet patches on my trousers). I went to the GP who had his finger up my bum and had a PSA blood test.
I can go for a pee, head out of the house and then have to dash back 10 minutes later.

That's the state I was in, but it wasn't continuous - I'd have a couple of bad weeks, then four or five which were less of a problem.
I was prescribed just Tamsulosin, but that took almost a year to have a significant effect.

FWIW - and this is contentious research -there is evidence to suggest that Tamsulosin plus a daily low level dose of tadalafil actually shrinks prostates. That's why Dr Fox sell the daily 2.5 microg doses. Some GPs may not be aware of this, but as I said before it's contentious research

Offline Omadon2001

Have they checked your blood glucose levels for diabetes ?

Yes they have. I'm not diabetic

Offline Xtro

I've been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.

I'm taking Tamsulosin but I Finesteride and Dutasteride don't agree with me.

My GP says that there are no more tablets available.

Is anyone taking prostate reducing drugs that are not listed above ?

I sincerely hope this benefits you - External Link/Members Only

Offline Andywb

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 777
  • Likes: 35
  •  
  • Reviews: 150
I've been diagnosed with an enlarged prostate.

I'm taking Tamsulosin but I Finesteride and Dutasteride don't agree with me.

My GP says that there are no more tablets available.

Is anyone taking prostate reducing drugs that are not listed above ?

The ED drug tadafil can now be prescribed for symptoms of enlarged prostate.  I have daily tadafil prescribed alongside tamsulosin from my GP.  Prescribing rules have changed recently.   I had a review of my medication by the practice pharmacist who recommended I talk to my GP. The GP was not aware of the change in rules before I spoke to him at my appointment. The two drugs together have really reduced my prostate issues.

EDIT- I don't have ED so just to confirm that was not a factor in the GP prescribing both together
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:45:05 pm by Andywb »