Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 2023-24 Football season  (Read 48591 times)

Offline willie loman

It wouldn't anger me as a Scot, England can have those two slimy c**ts all day long. More importantly however is the laughable idea that those two knobs actually know anything about the beautiful game, do you remember David Mellor the so called Chelsea fan. He presented a phone in footy show back in the day, it was pure comedy listening to the privileged w***er discussing the game with hardened lifelong working class supporters. The man didn't have a clue, he never stood on a terrace in his life in the cold and rain.

i would disagree, mellor was quite entertaining about football, personally i cant be arsed with workerism, which is gradually dying out thank fuck.

Online stampjones

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna has been mentioned but why would he leave them after getting them promoted  :unknown:
Because the chances are that however good a job ge does they’ll be straight back down this time next year whereas brighton probably wont

Offline webpunter

So on the subject of VAR it will be in operation in the Championship play off final between Leeds and Southampton  despite it not being used in any of the Championship league matches. Where's the logic in that  :unknown:
Either use it for every game or not at all.

It is a showcase match
IIRC the championship voted to decline VAR, on the basis of cost
Leeds have had a few lucky decisions with VAR not being used
However on balance over the season IMO Leeds would have come out with more points had VAR been used
Think it favours the teams lower down the league
If not for goals allowed / disallowed then deffo for sending off tackles agricultural football
All part of the Championship, deal with it

As for next w/e VAR an irrelevance, Leeds are shite at playoffs
And as has been mentioned Leeds stupendous form evaporated after the international break  :dash:
See how our teams fare next season

Offline webpunter

Because the chances are that however good a job ge does they’ll be straight back down this time next year whereas brighton probably wont

Yep
And add in doubling tripling maybe more what he gets paid
Ipswich have pulled off an amazing achievement back to back promotions
Despite the premiership riches on offer i see Ipswich having to budget similar to Luton
Reap the rewards from one season in the prem & parachute payments
If he can get a 3 to 4 year contract at Brighton on more dosh it must be tempting
Next season the view will be like he's performing an admirable job on limited resources & thats about it
More depends on his set up where are his family living kids in school etc

A quick look on google & he's on 25k a week + bonuses
External Link/Members Only
A £4m release clause
No issue for Brighton, how much money have they made from player & manager transfers
Did anyone mention Chelsea ? [as the main benefactor]

Mckenna & his agent can play the smart game dont dismiss a new club & see how much Ipswich offer him
They'll be mindful of 2025-26 in the championship

Think of it like you get offered a new job to double triple quadruple what you get paid
& if the wheels come orf there's a substantial payoff 

The last time a newly promoted club went bonkers on player signings look how far that got them
IMO he should seize the opportunity
The other tractor boys sacked their manager after what most people would consider a decent performance to make the playoffs

Online mr.bluesky

The other tractor boys sacked their manager after what most people would consider a decent performance to make the playoffs

Norwich are supposedly interested in Sky Blues manager and former Norwich player Mark Robins to be their next manager but then again Robins seems to be linked with every managers job going after what he has achieved at Coventry.  He has unfinished business here so he's not going anywhere at the moment. Ipswich have done remarkable with back to back promotions but like you say will do well to last more than a season back in the top flight. Those cheating East Midlands inbreds will probably start the season with a points deduction  so will also go back down. Of the two play off teams Leeds or Southampton I'd say Leeds are better equipped to stay in the Premier league if they get promoted.

Offline Blackpool Rock

So it's the last day of the Prem and theoretically 2 teams can still win it however the odds are stacked towards Man City again as they can guarantee it with a win however a draw or a loss for them and a win for Arsenal will see the Gunners lift the title for the 1st time in about 20 years, am I right in thinking the last time they won was the "Invincible" year  :unknown:

While I think City will win it and make history as the 1st club to win the title 4 years in a row (English Prem not Scottish where teams can go on 10 year runs, that sounds interesting but let's keep the thread about football  :rolleyes:) i've said for a few seasons that it would be good to see the Arse win the league as it's been so long now and it's good to have some fresh blood at the top  :unknown:

So i'm wondering where other neutrals stand on the winner head Vs heart  :unknown:
My head says City but my heart says Arsenal  :drinks:

Online mr.bluesky

As a neutral I'd prefer Man City to win it and make it four in a row just to rub it in the face of their cross City rivals. However if they are found guilty of breaking the FFP rules their achievement will be forever tarnished.  I've never liked Arsenal since the days of dodgy George Graham in charge of them and moaning Arsene Wenger but all credit due to Arteta for what he has achieved there.
Talking of " invincibles" hats off to Bayer Leverkusen who completed their league season yesterday with a win over Augsburg meaning they became the first team in Bundesliga history to go unbeaten throughout the season. A remarkable achievement  that even the mighty Bayern Munich have never achieved. They are also in the final of the German Cup and Europa League so could do a treble. No wonder Xabi Alonso is in demand as a manager.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 09:31:32 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Bangman

I Hate Arsenal and I Hate City. But I'd rather Arsenal win it then City. Can't have them winning it 4 times in a row, it's just boring.
Let's see if City and Everton Lose today.

Offline timsussex

After a dodgy start (relying on VAR to cancel a Toney goal) the Toon - Isak in particular - are all over Brentford 3-0 and only Joelinton knows why it isnt 4

Offline willie loman

i put my money on man city at the beginning of the season, thats the beauty of a league that is always won by the same team, already banked the win on celtic.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 04:55:44 pm by willie loman »

Offline timsussex

Couple of late 1st half goals for WH and Arsenal suddenly raise a slight hope for the Citeh haters
« Last Edit: May 19, 2024, 05:11:41 pm by timsussex »

Offline ulstersubbie

Talking of " invincibles" hats off to Bayer Leverkusen who completed their league season yesterday with a win over Augsburg meaning they became the first team in Bundesliga history to go unbeaten throughout the season. A remarkable achievement  that even the mighty Bayern Munich have never achieved. They are also in the final of the German Cup and Europa League so could do a treble. No wonder Xabi Alonso is in demand as a manager.

Incredible story isn't it for Leverkusen. Wonder how long before Alonso gets snapped up by one of the big boys of European football.

Online mr.bluesky

Incredible story isn't it for Leverkusen. Wonder how long before Alonso gets snapped up by one of the big boys of European football.

All credit to him for staying with Leverkusen next season despite being linked to the managers job at Liverpool and Bayern Munich 👏

Online stampjones

Not a chelski fan by any means but quite impressive that they’ve managed to sneak into P6 given how shit they’ve been. How much did they spend over the summer per point?

Offline webpunter

i put my money on man city at the beginning of the season, thats the beauty of a league that is always won by the same team, already banked the win on celtic.

the leagues are just sooo similar  :rolleyes:
the excitement building through the season
who is gonna win ?  :unknown: *
i reck the scootish prem edges it, it must be the plastic pitches making the difference  :hi:

* wait a minute the gooners could have won it, they had several opportunites
- against newcastle: there wasnt an elbow by Guimares in the build up  :rolleyes:, the ball absolutely didnt go out & there wasnt a push in the box  :D
- not turning up against The Viller at home last month
- Son missing to level it against Citeh, i have it that a great save by Ortega to an average shot [which should have been buried]

Dont forget to install some blackout blinds
You go from SAD to extended daylight, sleep deprivation must be already kicking in
Not sure which is worse for you, get yourself some therapy
Its all about caring & sharing on here  ;)

Offline myothernameis

After a dodgy start (relying on VAR to cancel a Toney goal) the Toon - Isak in particular - are all over Brentford 3-0 and only Joelinton knows why it isnt 4

Let the bidding begin for Ivan Toney, which team is he going to be playing for in the 24/25 season

Offline webpunter

Let the bidding begin for Ivan Toney, which team is he going to be playing for in the 24/25 season

Before then hopefully he'll make the euros ahead of Watkins
Heaven forbid should Arry get injured & overall play
Brentford will be hoping he makes the trip, doesnt get injured & delivers stellar performances
Ramping up the price

A couple of months ago i would have earmarked Arsenal as the destination however Havertz has shrugged off his Bamford styley & is now performing
If Chelsea sign him they could kick on after a very decent end to the campaign
They lack an out & out striker, Jackson is WIP
And for Toney shifting from one west london club to another isnt the biggest upheaval 
Spurs would benefit for sure with him in the team however is Levy gonna pay top whack, transfer & wages ? me thinks not

Offline Blackpool Rock

Not a chelski fan by any means but quite impressive that they’ve managed to sneak into P6 given how shit they’ve been. How much did they spend over the summer per point?
Yes it makes them look half way credible with 5 straight wins at the end but is it papering over the cracks  :unknown:

Top top 3 were probably as expected but Liverpool who were top not so long ago finished 9 points adrift, as I previously posted Villa are probably this seasons best performers Vs expectation and Spurs in 5th is probably about right post Arry

Newcastle 7th which i'm sure Davie will say is in line with the long term plan and let's not forget they had a major injury list crisis for quite a while plus the European distraction to deal with at the same time

Man Utd the last of the chasing pack in 8th which must be their worst finishing position for about 30 years and they actually have a goal difference of -1
Next weekend sees them in the cup final against the team that were described to me by a Utd fan at work about 12 years ago as "The noisy neighbours" which is either a great opportunity to upset Pep's apple cart or potentially taxi time for Ten Hag  :unknown:

Then again just winning the FA cup doesn't make him safe as Louis Van Gaal won it back in 2016 and Utd sacked him 2 or 3 days later and they had finished higher than this season

Online alftupper

Before then hopefully he'll make the euros ahead of Watkins
Heaven forbid should Arry get injured

You don't follow German football do you. Kane missed the last Bayern game due to a back injury.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Newcastle 7th which i'm sure Davie will say is in line with the long term plan and let's not forget they had a major injury list crisis for quite a while plus the European distraction to deal with at the same time
I'm happy with 7th considering the injuries we've had this season, we have broken a few records on the way as well, first time in the club's history we've scored in every home league game this season, first time we've finished above Man U and I think we've scored a record number of goals. Just need Man city to win the cup now.

Away form and defence going from one of the best to leaking goals for fun have been major issues for us as well.

I just hope we can keep hold of our best players and don't have to sell to comply with FFP, I think we have our eye on a couple of defenders available on a free so that should help.

It's taking time but we are slowly improving things off the field after the state the FCB left the club in, we've dumped his £5m a year deal with Castore for a £40m one with Adidas and got better deals with other sponsors. It's very much a case of catch-up on others but we're getting there.

£10m spent on the training facilities up to now and we're taking over the 1,000 capacity Whitley Park next door for the under 21's to play at when the Northumberland FA move out.

Offline Private Parts

Oh!!! And then the Villa let it slip,
Bad old days remembered.
 :thumbsdown:

Offline Thephoenix

Offline Stevelondon

Man City to win the FA cup so we (The Toon) get into Europe. We need that.
We need to keep the players together too because if we lose the likes of Bruno/Isak. We are simply moving backwards.

I heard we were off to Australia as soon as the Brentford game finished. A game against Spurs down under.
No rest then  :D

Online mr.bluesky

We need to keep the players together too because if we lose the likes of Bruno/Isak. We are simply moving backwards.

I heard we were off to Australia as soon as the Brentford game finished. A game against Spurs down under.

This is why the big clubs wanted FA cup replays stopped so they wouldn't be tired when they jet to the other side of the world to play in end of season tournaments and friendlies.  :angry:

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24

Spurs and an A-League All Star team so two games. Gordon hasn't travelled because of the achilles injury.

Offline jackdaw

I'm happy with 7th considering the injuries we've had this season, we have broken a few records on the way as well, first time in the club's history we've scored in every home league game this season, first time we've finished above Man U and I think we've scored a record number of goals. Just need Man city to win the cup now.

Away form and defence going from one of the best to leaking goals for fun have been major issues for us as well.

I just hope we can keep hold of our best players and don't have to sell to comply with FFP, I think we have our eye on a couple of defenders available on a free so that should help.

It's taking time but we are slowly improving things off the field after the state the FCB left the club in, we've dumped his £5m a year deal with Castore for a £40m one with Adidas and got better deals with other sponsors. It's very much a case of catch-up on others but we're getting there.

£10m spent on the training facilities up to now and we're taking over the 1,000 capacity Whitley Park next door for the under 21's to play at when the Northumberland FA move out.

The FFP rules border on the farcical. I think everyone has stopped pretending that it’s about “fair play” (nobody believes they allow Brentford etc, to compete on level terms with Man U, etc).

So official spiel now is often that their purpose is to stop clubs going bust. But if Newcastle or Man City spent much, much more there would be no chance of them going bust.

To a cynic it appears that main purpose is to stop teams like Newcastle breaking through to super elite level.

Offline timsussex

Spurs and an A-League All Star team so two games. Gordon hasn't travelled because of the achilles injury.

and the 2 games are on Wed and Friday - but I suppose it will be good practice if they get into Europe and have to play Thursday and Saturday

Offline WARSZAWA16

« Last Edit: May 20, 2024, 04:55:42 pm by WARSZAWA16 »

Online alftupper

The FFP rules border on the farcical. I think everyone has stopped pretending that it’s about “fair play” (nobody believes they allow Brentford etc, to compete on level terms with Man U, etc).

So official spiel now is often that their purpose is to stop clubs going bust. But if Newcastle or Man City spent much, much more there would be no chance of them going bust.

To a cynic it appears that main purpose is to stop teams like Newcastle breaking through to super elite level.

We don't have FFP in the Premier League, we never have, FFP is for teams in UEFA competitions. We have PSR, profit and sustainability rules. There is a clue in the name.

The rules may result in stopping teams breaking into the Big 6, but the original intention was to stop teams going bankrupt.

And it isn't some outside force imposing these rules on the clubs, the rules come from the Premier League, which is run by the clubs. Any rule change needs 14 clubs to vote for it to pass, so PSR could be done away with if the clubs wanted.

Offline chrishornx

We don't have FFP in the Premier League, we never have, FFP is for teams in UEFA competitions. We have PSR, profit and sustainability rules. There is a clue in the name.

The rules may result in stopping teams breaking into the Big 6, but the original intention was to stop teams going bankrupt.

And it isn't some outside force imposing these rules on the clubs, the rules come from the Premier League, which is run by the clubs. Any rule change needs 14 clubs to vote for it to pass, so PSR could be done away with if the clubs wanted.

are clubs in the Premier not subject to FFP rules of UEFA ?

Offline JontyR

Whilst there have beenother eras where I came to dislike the dominant team in the country I am not feeling that with City at the moment.

Simply apart from being immensely talented, skillful and incisive they work bloody hard too and I enjoy watching them play. 

Offline timsussex

only if they qualify for Europe

It was suggested that Chelsea in particular couldnt afford to qualify this year - or at least wouldnt if UEFA weren't crooked !

Offline toon972

The first time we have finished in the top eight two seasons running since Sir Bobby Robson.

Offline toon972

Hidden Image/Members Only

I fucked that up by missing the headline off.  :rolleyes:. The headline - The only way of stopping Man C winning the title again next season. I thought it was funny anyway  :D

Offline webpunter

I fucked that up by missing the headline off.  :rolleyes:. The headline - The only way of stopping Man C winning the title again next season. I thought it was funny anyway  :D

Very good  :hi:
& no CL either  :D

Offline webpunter

Whilst there have beenother eras where I came to dislike the dominant team in the country I am not feeling that with City at the moment.

Simply apart from being immensely talented, skillful and incisive they work bloody hard too and I enjoy watching them play.

Moi aussi
The amazon [maybe netflix ?] documentaries are ace
I have it on good authority that Pep can be seen out on his bike going down the shops etc
He is the best manager [by a mile] & comes across really well
The players have taken on board that there is no 'I' in team
As for the 115 charges, PSG Barca & Real must have loads more just that we dont hear about them

I've seen them a good few times & its only when watching the match pitchside rather than on the TV that you realise how good they are
I've sat maybe 6 or 7 rows behind Pep & he goes ballistic if things arent going right
& even when they are however a player needs to up his game he's just the same
Disliking a dominant team me never, i'm mellowing on Wankchester they are amusing

Offline webpunter

Thats good news for England
Hopefully nothing serious
The last thing he needs is a long trip for two exhibition matches

Online alftupper

Only if they are playing in UEFA cup competitions.

And I've mentioned it before on here, UEFA rules aren't even called FFP anymore, it's FSR, Financial Sustainability Rules.

Offline Blackpool Rock

1st time a team has won the title 4 times in a row and the 6th title in 7 seasons as Liverpool stopped them in 19/20, I believe they have won it by only 1 point a few times too so fine margins and grafting to the end rather than being totally dominant and running away with it.
Perhaps this makes it all an even bigger achievement  :unknown:

I would like to see someone else win it and as i've previously posted IMO it would be good to see Arsenal win it again after so long, while I agree and at the moment I don't dislike City there is this thing of all the financial infringements hanging over them like a sword of Damocles and I can't help but think that in 50 years time when it's actually sorted out I will sit there thinking they didn't win on a level playing field  :unknown:

I think the reason why people don't dislike them en masse is that Pep apart from being a great manager also seems like a nice guy and he isn't a Gobshite or in your face plus doesn't seem to overly whinge and whine about everything but just gets his head down and on with the next game
Likewise I don't think they have any objectionable gobby players who act up on the pitch and become Pantomime villains

I did say a couple of years ago that I wasn't aware of the kids jumping on board the Man City winners express however I do have a young relative who lives about 150 miles from Manchester and he's apparently been a City fan for a couple of years now

Offline jackdaw

Only if they are playing in UEFA cup competitions.

And I've mentioned it before on here, UEFA rules aren't even called FFP anymore, it's FSR, Financial Sustainability Rules.

But as all English clubs want to play in UEFA competitions if/when they qualify don’t they effectively end up having to follow both sets of rules?

No team can afford to qualify for a UEFA  competition but then not be able to compete.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 06:26:46 am by jackdaw »

Offline jackdaw

1st time a team has won the title 4 times in a row and the 6th title in 7 seasons as Liverpool stopped them in 19/20, I believe they have won it by only 1 point a few times too so fine margins and grafting to the end rather than being totally dominant and running away with it.
Perhaps this makes it all an even bigger achievement  :unknown:

I would like to see someone else win it and as i've previously posted IMO it would be good to see Arsenal win it again after so long, while I agree and at the moment I don't dislike City there is this thing of all the financial infringements hanging over them like a sword of Damocles and I can't help but think that in 50 years time when it's actually sorted out I will sit there thinking they didn't win on a level playing field  :unknown:

I think the reason why people don't dislike them en masse is that Pep apart from being a great manager also seems like a nice guy and he isn't a Gobshite or in your face plus doesn't seem to overly whinge and whine about everything but just gets his head down and on with the next game
Likewise I don't think they have any objectionable gobby players who act up on the pitch and become Pantomime villains

I did say a couple of years ago that I wasn't aware of the kids jumping on board the Man City winners express however I do have a young relative who lives about 150 miles from Manchester and he's apparently been a City fan for a couple of years now

I’d have said most kids around 7 to 11 get “imprinted” on football they follow (I know I did), and a fair number pick the most successful team of the day. I’d be surprised if Man C weren’t acquiring a lot of fans in that age range.

Online mr.bluesky

But as all English clubs want to play in UEFA competitions if/when they qualify don’t they effectively end up having to follow both sets of rules?

No team can afford to qualify for a UEFA  competition but then not be able to compete.

I would love to know how a team like Real Madrid get around it with their " all star team" especially as there is talk of Mbappe joining them next season   :unknown: ( I just hope Borrusia Dortmund  beat them in the Champions league final at Wembley)

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

A lot of kids now follow a particular player rather than specific clubs. So if Messi signed for Scunthorpe United then you’d see a load of kids all over the country in Scunthorpe shirts with Messi on the back.

I didn’t really have a choice about which team I supported, my first game was with my dad, my grandad and my brother. I was six years old and at that age it wasn’t so much about following the team it was about doing something with my dad and grandad. I was probably nine or ten when the bug of following your team got me.

These days it’s so expensive for a dad to take his sons to a match that clubs are in danger of losing that local link so the next generation of fans don’t always have that emotional connection with a team and with the influence of social media they follow a specific player rather than a specific team.

Offline jackdaw

I would love to know how a team like Real Madrid get around it with their " all star team" especially as there is talk of Mbappe joining them next season   :unknown: ( I just hope Borrusia Dortmund  beat them in the Champions league final at Wembley)

I wondered at time EUFA of EUFA against Man City why  City lawyers didn’t made it clear that Real Madrid, Barcelona and PSG had all done very similar things to City, and that those other clubs to “should join them in the dock”.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 07:51:34 am by jackdaw »

Offline jackdaw

A lot of kids now follow a particular player rather than specific clubs. So if Messi signed for Scunthorpe United then you’d see a load of kids all over the country in Scunthorpe shirts with Messi on the back.

I didn’t really have a choice about which team I supported, my first game was with my dad, my grandad and my brother. I was six years old and at that age it wasn’t so much about following the team it was about doing something with my dad and grandad. I was probably nine or ten when the bug of following your team got me.

These days it’s so expensive for a dad to take his sons to a match that clubs are in danger of losing that local link so the next generation of fans don’t always have that emotional connection with a team and with the influence of social media they follow a specific player rather than a specific team.

I suspect you’re right. (Not sure how it could be proven for sure. Messi is patently exceptional. But when Harland, say, leaves City for Real Madrid will many people watch City less and Real Madrid more? When Bale left Spurs for Real did many fans switch allegiance?)

I suspect you’re right. (Not sure how it could be proven for sure. Messi is patently exceptional. But when Harland, say, leaves City for Real Madrid will many people watch City less and Real Madrid more? When Bale left Spurs for Real did many fans switch allegiance?)

That’s the point though isn’t it? They’re not fans of a particular team they’re fans of a specific player/brand.

Offline jackdaw

That’s the point though isn’t it? They’re not fans of a particular team they’re fans of a specific player/brand.

I worded it badly.

I actually agree with your point , but was wondering how it could be proven “scientifically”.

Offline jackdaw

Certainly cost of a family following even a second division club week in/week out would put a real strain on most family’s finances.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:01:01 am by jackdaw »

I worded it badly.

I actually agree with your point , but was wondering how it could be proven “scientifically”.

I don’t think that it can be proven, however if you look at the football shirts on sale in your local JD Sports or Sports Direct then you get an idea of how things are going.