Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: 2023-24 Football season  (Read 49953 times)

Online silverspoon

Absolutely nothing wrong with VAR,Offside is factual,goal line technology is factual,then we bring in humans who are not trained to the highest level to understand the game and these so called Refs give the desecions ,Since webb was brought in to oversee the whole of PGMOL has become a right shit show,time for the Premier League to look at the real problem

Online mr.bluesky

Absolutely nothing wrong with VAR,Offside is factual,goal line technology is factual,then we bring in humans who are not trained to the highest level to understand the game and these so called Refs give the desecions ,Since webb was brought in to oversee the whole of PGMOL has become a right shit show,time for the Premier League to look at the real problem

There's nothing wrong with VAR apart from the people who review it. In Rugby League and Union it is current referees who review it , I'm not sure this is the case in football. Judging by the decisions I would say not.

Offline threechilliman

There's nothing wrong with VAR apart from the people who review it. In Rugby League and Union it is current referees who review it , I'm not sure this is the case in football. Judging by the decisions I would say not.

You do have to wonder why VAR is such a big deal in football when in all other sports where technology is used it doesn't seem to cause the same drama.

Online WARSZAWA16

You never see Anhtony Gordon and Claire Balding in the same room.

Hidden Image/Members Only

Online mr.bluesky

You do have to wonder why VAR is such a big deal in football when in all other sports where technology is used it doesn't seem to cause the same drama.

I do watch a lot of Rugby league and it seems every try scored goes to the video ref before its awarded, its almost as if refs are too scared to back their own judgement . With many replays from almost every angle it can take an age to make a final judgement but more often than not they do reach the correct decisions unlike VAR in football. 

Offline timsussex

I do watch a lot of Rugby league and it seems every try scored goes to the video ref before its awarded, its almost as if refs are too scared to back their own judgement . With many replays from almost every angle it can take an age to make a final judgement but more often than not they do reach the correct decisions unlike VAR in football.

Its certainly true in cricket where every stumping/run out is sent upstairs unless the batsman walks 

Online mr.bluesky

Leeds running riot in the play offs, webpunter will be a happy bunny. The canaries looking sick as parrots  :D
« Last Edit: May 16, 2024, 09:32:39 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline jackdaw

In percentage terms doesn’t football VAR result in a lot more correct decisions than wrong ones?

It just doesn’t seem that way because TV pundits, reporters and managers have a vested interest in moaning about the duff decisions.

It’s pretty accurate, I think. The main problem seems to the additional accuracy isn’t maybe substantial enough to offset how long it takes for people actually at the match.

Offline stampjones

It’s not factual. They go down to a single pixel it seems when trying to determine the offside but we never see how they determine which frame to use - ie when the ball is played forward. We dont know the accuracy of that side of things but I’d be pretty confident that at least a few decisions they’ve made on var have been inside the inherent margin of error built into the system. They should only overturn decision where its at least a couple of inches wrong imo. No-one in the bad old days was ever moaning that a goal should have been disallowed because the strikers hair had blown slightly across an imaginary line

Offline Thephoenix

I think VAR for offside has spoilt the game.
The Linesman is almost redundant. He never raises his flag for offside.
Play continues, goals are scored, players and fans celebrate, then the games grinds to a halt.

Before VAR if the Linesman judged the attacking player to be  level he wouldn't raise his flag.
Now there's no such thing as being level.

It shouldn't matter if his big toe was a minute fraction in front.

If this level of minutiae is deemed necessary, then change the rules from:

'Any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponent's goal line'

To:  'All of the head, body or feet etc.........

It would result in more goals being allowed.

Just my thoughts!

Offline Malvolio

Let's think why the offside law was introduced in the first place - to stop players goalhanging.

With that in mind, I like the thought of painting a line across the pitch 30 yards out from each goal, and adding a law that states you can't be offside if the ball was played within that line.

Would need some trialling in lower leagues to see how tactics would change, but would save an awful lot of dicking around.

Offline timsussex

Toon fans have bemoaned their bad luck with injuries and have a very important game on Sunday 19th which may decide whether they have European Football next season

Three days later they play Spurs on 22nd and A1 all stars XI on 24th in AUSTRALIA - which Trippier has pointed out is not a jaunt "like Benidorm" then then fly back and any players selected (and not injured since selection on Tuesday) link up with their national sides for the European championships and the Copa America

Southgate is not amused and the FA are looking to ban such post season games

Its all about £££££s of course

Online mr.bluesky

Exactly that. The big clubs moan about the amount of games they have to play so ask for FA cup replays to be banned depriving smaller clubs of a much needed cash lifeline then the first thing they do is fuck off to the other side of the world to play pre season friendlies and tournaments. Newcastle off to Japan for a pre season tournament but to be fair they they are not the only team to do this .
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 05:42:28 am by mr.bluesky »

Online Blackpool Rock

Let's think why the offside law was introduced in the first place - to stop players goalhanging.

With that in mind, I like the thought of painting a line across the pitch 30 yards out from each goal, and adding a law that states you can't be offside if the ball was played within that line.

Would need some trialling in lower leagues to see how tactics would change, but would save an awful lot of dicking around.
I've said for ages now they should just scrap the offside rule, if an attacking side want to leave a couple of players up in the box then so be it and it's up to the defending side to leave a few players back to deal with it  :unknown:

The rule just seems over complicated like a player being in an offside position but not interfering with play etc, I don't remember any of that shit when I was a kid so has it changed at some point as you were either onside or offside  :unknown:

Offline timsussex

Interesting thought on the offside rule
Times have changed since it was introduced - in particular keepers play a lot further up the pitch andact as a sweeper
Would teams just boot it up to a quick/hostile forward or would it mean a couple of defenders staying back and making more room for a skilful midfielder ?

Might be worth a trial at some of these pre season miniTournaments

Online Blackpool Rock

Interesting thought on the offside rule
Times have changed since it was introduced - in particular keepers play a lot further up the pitch andact as a sweeper
Would teams just boot it up to a quick/hostile forward or would it mean a couple of defenders staying back and making more room for a skilful midfielder ?

I've always said that we could use the Mickey Mouse cup to trial changes like this

Offline chrishornx

which proposal?

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Toon fans have bemoaned their bad luck with injuries and have a very important game on Sunday 19th which may decide whether they have European Football next season

Three days later they play Spurs on 22nd and A1 all stars XI on 24th in AUSTRALIA - which Trippier has pointed out is not a jaunt "like Benidorm" then then fly back and any players selected (and not injured since selection on Tuesday) link up with their national sides for the European championships and the Copa America

Southgate is not amused and the FA are looking to ban such post season games

Its all about £££££s of course
Of course it's all about the money, what choice have we got but to try and increase revenue, like the trip to the USA pre this season where they had meet and greets with fans and this year's pre season trip to Japan it's all about building the global brand.

I sometimes wonder if the English FA would prefer a league a bit like Scotland where a select few challenge at the top and the rest make up the numbers and keep swapping places with championship sides, they bring rules out that you can only spend what you earn then talk about stopping you earning.   :unknown:

As an aside I was suppressed Anthony Gordon didn't get booked for diving the way he backheeled Amrabat's studs in the penalty area.   :crazy:

Hidden Image/Members Only

Offline radioman33

Leeds running riot in the play offs, webpunter will be a happy bunny. The canaries looking sick as parrots  :D

Leeds played like they did before the international break,early goal helped from the free kick.
VAR,I think will be scrapped as it’s too long to wait after a goal scored ruins the game.

Offline Private Parts

Leeds played like they did before the international break,early goal helped from the free kick.
VAR,I think will be scrapped as it’s too long to wait after a goal scored ruins the game.
Radioman you are right. VAR has ruined the game, the spirit of the game and the enjoyment.
Sadly money talks👎

Online mr.bluesky

Radioman you are right. VAR has ruined the game, the spirit of the game and the enjoyment.
Sadly money talks👎

I recently read that the Swedish FA have voted against introducing VAR in their league matches so hats off to them  :hi:

Online southcoastpunter

The rule just seems over complicated like a player being in an offside position but not interfering with play etc, I don't remember any of that shit when I was a kid so has it changed at some point as you were either onside or offside  :unknown:

was it Brian Clough who said: if a player ain't interfering with play, what the heck is he doing on the field?

and ...yes Leeds looked fantastic yesterday. Assuming we do the business tonight V West Brom, we (Southampton) will have to stop them playing their game, like we did a couple of weeks ago!

Offline StingRay

Sadly money talks👎

Agreed, it wasn't broken so didn't need a fix, now it's fucked!

One of the worst examples I can think of was when a player, was it bamford?, pointed to where he wanted the ball played to and his arm was deemed offside, so ridiculous!

Online southcoastpunter

One of the worst examples I can think of was when a player, was it bamford?, pointed to where he wanted the ball played to and his arm was deemed offside, so ridiculous!

thats not a VAR issue as such , its the off-side rule guidelines issue. (which i understand has now been amended to "the forward most part of the body that can play the ball" so not the hand or arm. but it does raise the issue of "at what exact point does the shoulder become the arm?)

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
The FCB has lost his appeal so can't sell the new Newcastle strip in his shite direct shops.   :yahoo:

Online Blackpool Rock

The FCB has lost his appeal so can't sell the new Newcastle strip in his shite direct shops.   :yahoo:
But would any true NUFC fans have actually bought it from there anyway  :unknown:

Should have let him stock loads of them so he lost money when they were unsold  :lol:

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
But would any true NUFC fans have actually bought it from there anyway  :unknown:

Should have let him stock loads of them so he lost money when they were unsold  :lol:
I think there's plenty of people that would buy off him, there's plenty of people in the shop I sometimes go past.

It's going to go to trial at some stage but the appeal judges said it it would be far more detrimental to Newcastle if they granted his injunction than it would be for shite direct to miss out on a season or two of kit sales.

Newcastle have a good deal with Adidas and with J D Sports as the sole outlet coipled with them taking the club shop back 'in house' it adds up to a vast increase in revenue compared to the deal the have now with Castore.

Online mr.bluesky

Commiserations ulstersubbie.  Raith Rovers winning the Scottish championship play off semi final on penalties.  I thought with the Jags scoring from their first 3 pens they had it in the bag but Rovers kept their nerve. They'll be celebrating in the streets of Kirkcaldy tonight. I know how gutted you must feel loosing a play off match on a penalty shoot out. Hopefully both our teams will be pushing for promotion again next season 🙏
southcoastpunter will be a happy chappie after Saints impressive win over the baggies. So a Leeds v Southampton final a week Sunday at Wembley.  Two teams who were relegated last season ,one will return to the land of milk and honey
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 10:45:23 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline ulstersubbie

Commiserations ulstersubbie.  Raith Rovers winning the Scottish Premiership play off semi final on penalties.  I thought with the Jags scoring from their first 3 pens they had it in the bag but Rovers kept their nerve. They'll be celebrating in the streets of Kirkcaldy tonight. I know how gutted you must feel loosing a play off match on a penalty shoot out. Hopefully both our teams will be pushing for promotion again next season 🙏
southcoastpunter will be a happy chappie after Saints impressive win over the baggies. So a Leeds v Southampton final a week Sunday at Wembley.  Two teams who were relegated last season ,one will return to the land of milk and honey

Thanks mate, I am disappointed but I think Raith Rovers will probably do alright in the Premiership next season, if they get there. Proud of the mighty Jags, tremendous effort and onto next season!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 10:47:59 pm by ulstersubbie »

Online mr.bluesky

Thanks mate, I am disappointed but I think Raith Rovers will probably do alright in the Premiership next season, if they get there. Proud of the mighty Jags, tremendous effort and onto next season!

Have to say I'm not a fan of football played on these plastic pitches. Understand the need to have them in Scotland knowing the weather you tend to have up there but it doesn't seem right.

Offline toon972

Maybe interesting fact, the nearest premier league club to Newcastle is Burnley. With them being relegated it could be Man C next. Not unless Webbies team can do the business.  ;)

Offline timsussex

Isnt it remarkable how often people look back on the past with such affection and forget the errors of the past.

Simpler times when there werent 25 cameras at every game so that everything was just a mater of opinion so we could all believe we were right

Yes VAR makes mistakes (just as any system that relies on humans) but I believe it has reduced mistakes  in every sport that uses it.

We cant really complain when VAR doesnt change decisions ( like 2 ManU players bringing down Gordon) as the refs decision would have stood anyway

ESPN has some interesting figures External Link/Members Only

Lets look (as we have several fans here) at Newcastle VAR interference this season

Game: Brentford (H; Sept. 16)
Incident: Penalty cancelled, no handball by Bryan Mbeumo, 81 minutes - AGAINST

Game: Crystal Palace (H; Oct. 21)
Incident: Jacob Murphy goal allowed after incorrect offside in the buildup against Kieran Trippier, 4 minutes - FOR

Game: Fulham (H; Dec. 16)
Incident: Raúl Jiménez sent off for serious foul play on Sean Longstaff, 22 minutes - FOR

Game: Luton (H; Feb. 3)
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Carlton Morris) after Dan Burn foul on Chiedozie Ogbene ruled to be inside the area, 55 minutes - AGAINST

Game: Bournemouth (H; Feb. 17)
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Anthony Gordon) for a foul by Adam Smith on Fabian Schär, 53 minutes - FOR

Game: West Ham (H; March 30)
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Alexander Isak) for a foul by Kalvin Phillips on Anthony Gordon, 74 minutes - FOR

Game: Everton (H; April 2)
Incident: Dan Burn goal disallowed for offside against Alexander Isak, 58 minutes - AGAINST
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Dominic Calvert-Lewin) for a foul by Paul Dummett on Ashley Young, 84 minutes - AGAINST

Game: Brentford (H; Sept. 16)
Incident: Penalty cancelled, no handball by Bryan Mbeumo, 81 minutes - AGAINST

Game: Crystal Palace (H; Oct. 21)
Incident: Jacob Murphy goal allowed after incorrect offside in the buildup against Kieran Trippier, 4 minutes - FOR

Game: Fulham (H; Dec. 16)
Incident: Raúl Jiménez sent off for serious foul play on Sean Longstaff, 22 minutes - FOR

Game: Luton (H; Feb. 3)
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Carlton Morris) after Dan Burn foul on Chiedozie Ogbene ruled to be inside the area, 55 minutes - AGAINST

Game: Bournemouth (H; Feb. 17)
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Anthony Gordon) for a foul by Adam Smith on Fabian Schär, 53 minutes - FOR

Game: West Ham (H; March 30)
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Alexander Isak) for a foul by Kalvin Phillips on Anthony Gordon, 74 minutes - FOR

Game: Everton (H; April 2)
Incident: Dan Burn goal disallowed for offside against Alexander Isak, 58 minutes - AGAINST
Incident: Penalty awarded (scored by Dominic Calvert-Lewin) for a foul by Paul Dummett on Ashley Young, 84 minutes - AGAINST

Game: Fulham (A; April 6)
Incident: Fabian Schär goal disallowed for a foul in the buildup by Dan Burn on Calvin Bassey, 75 minutes - AGAINST

Game: Sheffield United (H; April 27)
Incident: Penalty cancelled, no foul by Alex Murphy on Jayden Bogle, 90 minutes - FOR

so thats 18 times VAR changed a decision and in this case it was even 9 each way.
So come on Toon fans how many did it get wrong ?  and don't say 9  :rolleyes:

Online southcoastpunter

yes a great atmosphere at St Marys this evening and a good second half. i just hope we can do to Leeds next week what we did a couple of weeks ago.

Online mr.bluesky

yes a great atmosphere at St Marys this evening and a good second half. i just hope we can do to Leeds next week what we did a couple of weeks ago.

I see that arsehole Rishi Sunak was at the game last night, supposedly a lifelong Saints fan, no doubt he will be blagging himself a free ticket to Wembley for the final. I'm only surprised he's not a Wankchester Utd fan ( or perhaps he was when they were winning things)  :unknown:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 05:44:29 am by mr.bluesky »

Online Blackpool Rock

I see that arsehole Rishi Sunak was at the game last night, supposedly a lifelong Saints fan, no doubt he will be blagging himself a free ticket to Wembley for the final. I'm only surprised he's not a Wankchester Utd fan ( or perhaps he was when they were winning things)  :unknown:
Ah yes and of course we have Prince William who for some reason became a Villa fan and I believe David "Just call me Dave" Cameron claimed to be a West Ham fan though he probably just wanted to curry favour with the royals and got mixed up as the shirts were the same colour  :sarcastic:

I'm guessing they just want to try and be seen as men of the people but they'd probably be better off not claiming to support a club side but say they support the National side though no doubt that would anger the Scots and Welsh and they can hardly not fall in line behind England  :unknown:

Didn't DC once get quizzed about his support of West Ham by a reporter and he couldn't actually say who they had played or were going to play or any of the players  :D

Offline willie loman

Bob marley was a celtic fan, and took part in a training session when he was in glasgow, Dixie Deans who told the story said he could play a bit, but his hair could have done with a good wash.

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

Ah yes and of course we have Prince William who for some reason became a Villa fan and I believe David "Just call me Dave" Cameron claimed to be a West Ham fan though he probably just wanted to curry favour with the royals and got mixed up as the shirts were the same colour  :sarcastic:

I'm guessing they just want to try and be seen as men of the people but they'd probably be better off not claiming to support a club side but say they support the National side though no doubt that would anger the Scots and Welsh and they can hardly not fall in line behind England  :unknown:

Didn't DC once get quizzed about his support of West Ham by a reporter and he couldn't actually say who they had played or were going to play or any of the players  :D

Cameron is a Villa fan, but I use that term loosely. His uncle Sir William Dugdale was Villa chairman from 1975 to 1982, and I think it was during the 2010 general election campaign that a reporter asked him about his football allegiance and he said West Ham and then quickly corrected himself.

I don’t really care about these politicians associating themselves with a particular club. Years ago it never happened and I think if she could have banned football back in the 1980’s then Maggie would have. Now that football is Uber cool and a valuable asset to the UK economy politicians are jumping on the bandwagon.

Its great that Prince William is a Villa fan and fair play to him he does go to games which is more than can be said for “Call me Dave”.

Online southcoastpunter

I see that Rishi Sunak was at the game last night, supposedly a lifelong Saints fan,

he's been at a number of games this season. He was born in Southampton!

Online mr.bluesky

he's been at a number of games this season. He was born in Southampton!

Yes the commentator did mention that, that's why I thought he'd be a Wankchester utd fan

Online mr.bluesky

Cameron is a Villa fan, but I use that term loosely. His uncle Sir William Dugdale was Villa chairman from 1975 to 1982, and I think it was during the 2010 general election campaign that a reporter asked him about his football allegiance and he said West Ham and then quickly corrected himself.

I don’t really care about these politicians associating themselves with a particular club. Years ago it never happened and I think if she could have banned football back in the 1980’s then Maggie would have. Now that football is Uber cool and a valuable asset to the UK economy politicians are jumping on the bandwagon.

Its great that Prince William is a Villa fan and fair play to him he does go to games which is more than can be said for “Call me Dave”.

Not forgetting Tom Hanks is a Villa fan and was seen at their recent home game

Offline ulstersubbie

It wouldn't anger me as a Scot, England can have those two slimy c**ts all day long. More importantly however is the laughable idea that those two knobs actually know anything about the beautiful game, do you remember David Mellor the so called Chelsea fan. He presented a phone in footy show back in the day, it was pure comedy listening to the privileged w***er discussing the game with hardened lifelong working class supporters. The man didn't have a clue, he never stood on a terrace in his life in the cold and rain.

Online southcoastpunter

It wouldn't anger me as a Scot, England can have those two slimy c**ts all day long. More importantly however is the laughable idea that those two knobs actually know anything about the beautiful game, do you remember David Mellor the so called Chelsea fan. He presented a phone in footy show back in the day, it was pure comedy listening to the privileged w***er discussing the game with hardened lifelong working class supporters. The man didn't have a clue, he never stood on a terrace in his life in the cold and rain.

i thought this was about football not about politics - oh sorry yes, you are being a typical old fashioned football fan - can't say anything without being rude and disrespectful to someone else!

Offline ulstersubbie

i thought this was about football not about politics - oh sorry yes, you are being a typical old fashioned football fan - can't say anything without being rude and disrespectful to someone else!

I'm not being disrespectful or political but merely expressing my opinion. Blackpool suggested in his post that Scots might take offence, I being a Scot disagreed. I don't care for the two individuals Blackpool referred to in his post either, least of all their views on football.

Online southcoastpunter

I'm not being disrespectful

so calling someone a "slimy c**ts", or "a knob", or  "a privileged w***er" isn't being disrespectful? You obviously have very different standards to me!

Online Blackpool Rock

Yes the commentator did mention that, that's why I thought he'd be a Wankchester utd fan
:lol:

Online mr.bluesky

So on the subject of VAR it will be in operation in the Championship play off final between Leeds and Southampton  despite it not being used in any of the Championship league matches. Where's the logic in that  :unknown:
Either use it for every game or not at all.

Online WARSZAWA16

Online mr.bluesky

De Zerbi to leave Brighton:
External Link/Members Only

He's certainly had Brighton punching above their weight since he's been there. 6th last season and a comfortable mid table position this season. Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna has been mentioned but why would he leave them after getting them promoted  :unknown:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2024, 05:00:02 pm by mr.bluesky »