Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 2023-24 Football season  (Read 48063 times)

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

A chaotic game at Villa Park last night and a point for the Villa in our quest for a change to dip our beaks in the Champions League money trough.

If I take off my claret and blue tinted glasses then what I saw was two sides with genuine quality going forward who were both undone by two very poor defensive displays. It must have been an enjoyable game for the neutral to watch, not so much for fans of either side though, it have easily finished 6-6!

Online mr.bluesky

A chaotic game at Villa Park last night and a point for the Villa in our quest for a change to dip our beaks in the Champions League money trough.

If I take off my claret and blue tinted glasses then what I saw was two sides with genuine quality going forward who were both undone by two very poor defensive displays. It must have been an enjoyable game for the neutral to watch, not so much for fans of either side though, it have easily finished 6-6!

An entertaining game to watch as a neutral which had two of the freakiest goals I've seen this season with Liverpool's opening goal and Villa's late equalizer. Tom Hanks seemed happy.

Online Thephoenix

It was an exciting game to watch albeit a disappointing last few minutes for me.
Good attacking teams and both evenly matched.
Taking account of both  team's league positions I think it was the extra desire and spirit that helped Villa earn a well earned draw.

Online Thephoenix

Theatre of dreams, or theatre of streams?

I believe it's the 4th highest waterfall in UK.

Suggestions in the press that Man U. could play at Wembley if it's decided to rebuild Old Trafford.

I don't that would affect ticket sales too much would it?  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 02:10:48 pm by Thephoenix »

Online mr.bluesky

Theatre of dreams, or theatre of streams?

I believe it's the 4th highest waterfall in UK.

Suggestions in the press that Man U. could play at Wembley if it's decided to rebuild Old Trafford.

I don't that would affect ticket sales too much would it?  :rolleyes:

No of course not ,not far to travel for all those Wankchester Utd fans down south.
I've been to Old Trafford a few times ( for Rugby League I hasten to add ) and it's looking a tired old stadium now. In fact the Superleague are talking about moving the Rugby league Grand Final away from there possibly to Man City's Etihad stadium.

Online Blackpool Rock

Man City play their game in hand tonight away at Spurs and if they win it they look set to win the league for the 4th year in a row which I don't believe has been done before in the English top flight  :unknown:

A draw would see them going into the last games on Sunday level on points with Arsenal who would technically be on top with a goal difference of 3 more than City, that would probably be the best scenario for the neutrals to keep the finish as tight as possible especially if one or both teams take a while to get a lead on Sunday or only obtain a slim 1 goal advantage

Sunday's games see Arsenal at home to Everton and Man City at home to West Ham

Edit - It's just been on the sports news how many Spurs fans want their team to lose tonight  :scare:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 06:33:47 pm by Blackpool Rock »

Offline willie loman

No of course not ,not far to travel for all those Wankchester Utd fans down south.
I've been to Old Trafford a few times ( for Rugby League I hasten to add ) and it's looking a tired old stadium now. In fact the Superleague are talking about moving the Rugby league Grand Final away from there possibly to Man City's Etihad stadium.

you will find that top clubs like celtic and man united , have a global brand, and have supporters all over the world, other clubs have cottoned on to this, and are trying to develop their brand.

Offline webpunter

Edit - It's just been on the sports news how many Spurs fans want their team to lose tonight  :scare:

Given where Spurs are with european footy for next season they need to think of the bigger picture

Plyd   GD      Pts
4      Aston Villa          37    +20        68
5      Spurs                 36    +12        63
6      Newcastle           36    +22        57
7      Chelsea              36    +12        57
8      Man Utd              36    -4        54

Villa are home & dry in the final CL spot
I found this for what happens for european qualification which sums it up succintly
-------------------
External Link/Members Only

... whether sixth place qualifies for the Europa Conference League or Europa League depends on the outcome of the FA Cup final between Man Utd and Manchester City.
If Man City lift the FA Cup on Saturday 25 May, the place in the Europa League group stages that the FA Cup winners earn is transferred to the highest-placed league spot without qualifying for a UEFA competition.
As the UEL is of a higher rank than the UECL, sixth place in the Premier League will qualify for the Europa League, with the Europa Conference League spot moving down a place to seventh.
Should Man Utd triumph at Wembley and finish fifth or sixth in the Premier League, they will qualify for the Europa League, while the other team finishing in the top six will join them in that competition, with the club in seventh going into the Europa Conference League.
But if Man Utd beat Man City in the FA Cup final and finish seventh or eighth in the Premier League, only the side in fifth will join United in the Europa League, with the team finishing sixth playing in the Europa Conference League next season

-------------------

I'm pretty sure that City will grant the Spurs fans their wishes
Spurs have Sheffield final day of the season - away & the outcome is far from predictable with a last Prem hurrah in front of home fans ?
I reck Chelsea have the highest chance of catching Spurs
Easier matches & they are in good form
Better for Spurs to be in the Europa than the Conference 
If Wankchester win the FA Cup [unlikely but you never now] & Spurs lose both matches with Chelsea & Newcastle winning both Spurs could miss out on europe
A big hit financially even missing out on the Europa stuff
The dominos falling this way are unlikely
& you can rest assured that Postecoglu & Levy will be trying for at least a point

Had it made no difference with Europa guaranteed [even a drop to the conference] then deffo throw the match to ensure that Arsenal dont win the Prem
Drip out injury news over the past few days & field a weakened team
Just to fuck the Arsenal fans off & see Arteta throw his toys outta the pram  :lol:

Offline webpunter

you will find that top clubs like celtic and man united , have a global brand, and have supporters all over the world, other clubs have cottoned on to this, and are trying to develop their brand.

you need to look up the word oxymoron  ;)

Offline willie loman

you would think that the english would get behind man united, their only contribution to global football, but it seems not to be the case.

Offline willie loman

its possible you may find a country in the world that doesnt have a celtic supporters club, but there arent many.

Offline webpunter

you would think that the english would get behind man united, their only contribution to global football, but it seems not to be the case.

this evidences how little you know about footy  :rolleyes:
only  :lol:
just cause people in the far east & indian subcontinent find it easier to buy knocked off wankchester shirts this doesnt count as global
get behind wankchester  :lol: for the vast majority of neutral fans its the complete opposite
i like to see prem teams do well in europe, with one exception
pretty sure that i'm not alone

Online timsussex

just cause people in the far east & indian subcontinent find it easier to buy knocked off wankchester shirts this doesnt count as global
get behind wankchester  :lol: for the vast majority of neutral fans its the complete opposite

even I would support ManUre against a cheating italian side

Offline willie loman

drivel even by your standards, man united are the only english team with a global profile, like real madrid , celtic etc, the fact that you arent happy about that is irrelevant.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 07:26:39 am by daviemac »

Online mr.bluesky

Ederson the Man City goalkeeper throwing a strop after being substituted.
ffs grow up you prick.

Online myothernameis

Currently Tottenham 0 - 1 Manchester City, and around 10 mins to go, and if it remains like this.  Then come Sun, its going to be on the edge, and think in real terms Man City have to win, as a draw is no good, due to Arsenal having the better goal difference

Online mr.bluesky

Happy to see my boys Partick Thistle into the semi final playoff for the Scottish Premiership. Raith Rovers on Tuesday, c'mon the Jags!

Looks like your boys have got it all to do in the 2nd leg ulstersubbie  :unknown:

Online mr.bluesky

Currently Tottenham 0 - 1 Manchester City, and around 10 mins to go, and if it remains like this.  Then come Sun, its going to be on the edge, and think in real terms Man City have to win, as a draw is no good, due to Arsenal having the better goal difference

Man City have West Ham in their last game of the season. Remember the last time Man City played a London team on the last day of the season  (QPR) needing a result to win the league.  Will we have another Aguero moment 🤔
« Last Edit: May 14, 2024, 09:48:42 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

The league table and match report from October 2022, Gerrard was sacked immediately after this game and Unai Emery was appointed a couple of days later and his first game was in early November when we beat that lot from Salford.

Tonight we qualified for the Champions League which is an astonishing turnaround.

When we are good we are unplayable as both Man City and Arsenal discovered in successive games at Villa Park in December, oddly enough we have been pretty inconsistent since then. When we are bad we are really bad as Newcastle discovered home and away and Spurs found to their liking at Villa Park.

Emery has a no excuse approach, we have had as many injuries to key squad members as anyone else but he doesn’t use that as an excuse. We will finish fourth because we deserve to and to see the Villa in that competition for the first time since 1982/1983 is fantastic!

It feels a bit weird to be celebrating finishing fourth but such is modern football.

UTV

Online timsussex

Congrats to Villa

So 2 years running a team outside of the much hyped 6 has made the CL  - lets hope they have a better time than the Toon who  found the CL a big step up so perhaps the Europa league and conference do serve a purpose after all as a stepping stone

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
When we are bad we are really bad as Newcastle discovered home and away and Spurs found to their liking at Villa Park.
I nearly put a bet on Tonali scoring first at St James'  :D

Well done on 4th, hope you get a better draw than we did. 

Online timsussex

I nearly put a bet on Tonali scoring first at St James'  :D

We  now know Tonali may well have put one on

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
We  now know Tonali may well have put one on
He bet on a few Newcastle games, that's what he told the FA about in what they described as an 'unprecedented level of cooperation'. They were for us to win though.

Online timsussex

He bet on a few Newcastle games, that's what he told the FA about in what they described as an 'unprecedented level of cooperation'. They were for us to win though.

Never mind the co-operation but at least betting on your team to win really isnt that bad
Toney allegedly bet against Brentford when he knew (although it hadnt been released) that he was injured and couldnt play

IIRC Kevin Keegan was asked about a goal where there was a question whether Cole had got a touch on a goal bound shot. He was certain that Cole did get a touch just before the ball crossed the line.
But then said with a smile that the whole team has a bet on Cole winning the Golden Boot

Times have changed

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
Never mind the co-operation but at least betting on your team to win really isnt that bad
Toney allegedly bet against Brentford when he knew (although it hadnt been released) that he was injured and couldnt play

IIRC Kevin Keegan was asked about a goal where there was a question whether Cole had got a touch on a goal bound shot. He was certain that Cole did get a touch just before the ball crossed the line.
But then said with a smile that the whole team has a bet on Cole winning the Golden Boot

Times have changed
I think that's why the FA were lenient with Tonali, the bets were for his team to win and the fact they couldn't prove it without him admitting it.

Offline webpunter

drivel even by your standards, man united are the only english team with a global profile, like real madrid , celtic etc, the fact that you arent happy about that is irrelevant.

Please try & improve your posting skills
I mean technically, the content is always - as you reference - drivel

There you go again another oxymoron
As you missed my previous post this is using words & phrases in the same sentence that contradict each other
Hence global profile * & celtic

The only people interested in scootish footy are ..... err scootish people
Most english footy fans dont even bother to watch the old firm match let alone anything else
I've paid more interest in watching Wrexham rather than the effective two club league playing on some plastic pitches

* one caveat - everyone [globally] knows that scootish footy's global profile is utter shite
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 07:29:24 am by daviemac »

Offline webpunter

The league table and match report from October 2022, Gerrard was sacked immediately after this game and Unai Emery was appointed a couple of days later and his first game was in early November when we beat that lot from Salford.

Tonight we qualified for the Champions League which is an astonishing turnaround.

When we are good we are unplayable as both Man City and Arsenal discovered in successive games at Villa Park in December, oddly enough we have been pretty inconsistent since then. When we are bad we are really bad as Newcastle discovered home and away and Spurs found to their liking at Villa Park.

Emery has a no excuse approach, we have had as many injuries to key squad members as anyone else but he doesn’t use that as an excuse. We will finish fourth because we deserve to and to see the Villa in that competition for the first time since 1982/1983 is fantastic!

It feels a bit weird to be celebrating finishing fourth but such is modern football.

UTV

Under Gerrard it was relegation material
What a turnaround and an astounding performance
Give the so called big clubs a wake up call  :thumbsup:
Just as well Up The Viller are the major shareholders in Hawkeye [allegedly]  ;)

Offline ulstersubbie

Looks like your boys have got it all to do in the 2nd leg ulstersubbie  :unknown:

Yes, unfortunately it looks that way. Raith Rovers have been a bit of a bogey team for us in recent times, but we'll see what happens.

Offline webpunter

Times have changed

Indeed they have
Supposedly the nasty five footer [a put in golfing parlance] Wise used to have bets against LeTissier on pens
In off the post counted double
& the card schools that existed on team executive coaches to & from matches, before the era of private jet travel
I mention executive as tables, perfect for cards

Online Blackpool Rock

Man City have West Ham in their last game of the season. Remember the last time Man City played a London team on the last day of the season  (QPR) needing a result to win the league.  Will we have another Aguero moment 🤔
I remember the season Blackburn won the Prem and in the lead up to the last game where they were playing Liverpool, Fergie was in full on shite spouting mode about how Liverpool would throw the game just to stop Utd winning the league etc, how or why nobody took the cunt to court for all the false allegations he made is beyond me as a gagging order would have done everyone a favour  :rolleyes:

Anyway Liverpool won the game 2-1 and a certain West Ham drew 1-1 with Utd after Andy Cole missed a sitter late on so perhaps West Ham playing a Manchester club can once again foil their plan  :unknown:  :drinks:

Offline webpunter

I remember the season Blackburn won the Prem and in the lead up to the last game where they were playing Liverpool, Fergie was in full on shite spouting mode about how Liverpool would throw the game just to stop Utd winning the league etc, how or why nobody took the cunt to court for all the false allegations he made is beyond me as a gagging order would have done everyone a favour  :rolleyes:

Anyway Liverpool won the game 2-1 and a certain West Ham drew 1-1 with Utd after Andy Cole missed a sitter late on so perhaps West Ham playing a Manchester club can once again foil their plan  :unknown:  :drinks:

The Hammers did this in 1992

BEATEN by a relegated team who had nothing at stake except East End pride, Alex Ferguson grudgingly conceded West Ham's effort had been "almost obscene".
And as Manchester United's grumpy manager watched the elusive Holy Grail slip from his grasp yet again, Leeds duly slipped through the catflap and burgled the title Fergie craved.

Mid week under the lights @ Upton Park a difficult ground for teams to visit, some atmosphere 
Tho a big difference away rather than at home, the manager leaving & has anyone mentioned the beach ...

Fergie chucking his toys outta the pram, quelle surprise  :rolleyes:

Offline nwluvit

« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 03:32:58 pm by nwluvit »

Offline nwluvit

Congrats to Villa

So 2 years running a team outside of the much hyped 6 has made the CL  - lets hope they have a better time than the Toon who  found the CL a big step up so perhaps the Europa league and conference do serve a purpose after all as a stepping stone

The Toon were done in Paris with that penalty-yes it was a too big step up, but what a ride. Hopefully we can beat Man U and Brentford and seal Europa League for next season
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 03:33:25 pm by nwluvit »

Online mr.bluesky

« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 04:10:35 pm by mr.bluesky »

Online lostandfound

It is striking to me how much Utd are disliked considering they last won the title eleven years ago when Fergie stopped coaching them.

I assume Liverpool were hated during and for a while after their period of dominance?

And City, despite their deep pockets and current dominance don't seem to be disliked nearly as much.

Online mr.bluesky

Just watching the Wankchester Utd v Newcastle game, jeezus it looks like Wayne Rooney has spent all his time since his Birmingham City sacking eating pies, the bloody size of him. He was always chunky in his playing days but he is Mr. Blobby size now. Newcastle should have had a penalty in the first half even Mr Blobby said so.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 09:02:39 pm by mr.bluesky »

Online mr.bluesky

It is striking to me how much Utd are disliked considering they last won the title eleven years ago when Fergie stopped coaching them.

I assume Liverpool were hated during and for a while after their period of dominance?

And City, despite their deep pockets and current dominance don't seem to be disliked nearly as much.

I've never disliked Liverpool despite their dominance of football in the past mainly because they've had likeable managers and players. With Wankchester a lot of people dislike them because of the arrogance of their fans and " we are the biggest club team in the world " bollocks. The're not even the biggest club team in Manchester now. :D
Fergie although very successful disliked mainly because of him pointing at his watch from the sidelines and generally just being an annoying git when on the very few occasions he didn't get his way from referees
« Last Edit: May 15, 2024, 09:21:43 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline chrishornx

The Toon were done in Paris with that penalty-yes it was a too big step up, but what a ride. Hopefully we can beat Man U and Brentford and seal Europa League for next season

doesn't look likely.

but can they still qualify by beating Brentford?

Offline Stevelondon

Man U victory and to be honest. The Toon finishing the season poorly and I can’t see them winning their last game to be honest.
So no Europe and deservedly so…….. sadly.

I’m hoping Villa (as a neutral) will have better luck than we did in the European top tier.

Online mr.bluesky

doesn't look likely.

but can they still qualify by beating Brentford?

Newcastle would need to beat Brentford and hope Chelsea loose, they would both finish on the same points but Newcastle have a superior goal difference.

Offline chrishornx

Newcastle would need to beat Brentford and hope Chelsea loose, they would both finish on the same points but Newcastle have a superior goal difference.

yep thanks I had worked that bit out, I was wondering if Newcastle can qualify if they finish seventh?

Offline webpunter

yep thanks I had worked that bit out, I was wondering if Newcastle can qualify if they finish seventh?

May i refer you to post #3757
Depends on who wins the FA Cup

Offline chrishornx

May i refer you to post #3757
Depends on who wins the FA Cup

you could have just said 'yes'  :cool:

Offline webpunter

you could have just said 'yes'  :cool:

I wasnt sure, all a bit complicated with different scenarios
Hence why i shared the link adding the relevant section
Isnt it better that you know why the answer is yes ?  ;)

Offline chrishornx

Isnt it better that you know why the answer is yes ?  ;)

not really when the reason might be United pipping them

Offline webpunter

not really when the reason might be United pipping them

Fair enuf
Heaven forbid Wankchester getting into europe
Tho only the conference is possible presuming that they dont win the FA Cup
Newcastle only have to match Wankchester's result on Sunday given the GD

Wankchester's last european excursion didnt end too well  :lol: :yahoo:

Hidden Image/Members Only

Online Blackpool Rock

I've never disliked Liverpool despite their dominance of football in the past mainly because they've had likeable managers and players. With Wankchester a lot of people dislike them because of the arrogance of their fans and " we are the biggest club team in the world " bollocks. The're not even the biggest club team in Manchester now. :D
Fergie although very successful disliked mainly because of him pointing at his watch from the sidelines and generally just being an annoying git when on the very few occasions he didn't get his way from referees
I think this summary is spot on, it wasn't so much the success of the club but the totally "In your face" attitude of the fans who suddenly popped out of the woodwork buoyed by the antics of their Gobshite manager  :thumbsdown:

Online Blackpool Rock

Wolves have triggered a vote for the PL to scrap VAR, needs 14 of the 20 clubs to agree.

I was all in favour of it and saying we needed something 25 years ago however it's had 5 years now to iron out any teething problems but i'm unconvinced that the final decisions are now actually any better than before we had it however it just seems to slow the game down with nobody knowing WTF is going on  :thumbsdown:

The trial should be concluded and it's now time to scrap VAR  :drinks:

Offline JontyR

If folks want to scrap VAR then fine. But there needs to be a consensus that TV won't continue to analyze and reanalyze decisions ad infinutm...as it was that that lead us to have this system in the first place.