Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Grumpy old men - So what's pissed you off today?  (Read 54841 times)

Offline Blackpool Rock

Called into my local Asda. Only wanted (literally) 4 items, but they were bulky so I took one of the smaller type trolleys.

At the checkouts,  the queues were enormous,  even for the trolley  self check outs. However, the basket self check out lane was totally empty  so I nipped in there.  Had just scanned my 4th and final item when some sour-faced jobsworth assistant leans over the barrier and tells me I'm not supposed to use trolleys in that line.

"Sorry, but I've only got 4 items, and this lane is  empty".

"Well, you mustn't.  Health and Safety you know".

"Okay, so kindly explain to me what is unsafe or unhealthy about my bringing a small trolley into an empty self-checkout lane".

"Just  don't  do it again !"
If I hadn't have paid then i'd have been tempted to ditch the stuff and walk out but it then depends how long it's going to take you to go elsewhere and get the stuff instead

I had a similar thing over 20 years ago before Safeway was bought by Morrisons, some lazy bitch was sat at an 8 items or less checkout with nobody to serve so I went up with a trolly and about 15 items and asked before I unloaded if it was OK seeing as there was nobody to serve.
She just said "No; it's 8 items or less" to which I replied "What even though you're sat there doing nothing" and she replied "Yeah"  :diablo:

In contrast i've been in other similar situations and it's not been a problem, I understand there are rules for various reasons but a common sense approach is also needed and using H&S constantly is just BS  :thumbsdown:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:53:27 am by Blackpool Rock »

Offline PilotMan

The experience at my local Tesco is completely the opposite, it honestly seems like they have trained all their staff just to be over polite and say yes to everything.

A few examples;

I took something back for a refund, I couldn't find the receipt. The help desk patiently checked back through weeks of my club card history, found the item and gave me a refund. No fuss, no drama.

I took an elderly relative in to do some shopping and left him to it (he likes to wander around by himself). When he got to the self serve checkout out he was having problems with the price of items (his mistake) and couldn't get his card to work. I watched from a distance and the staff were just amazing in helping him. There always seems to be a member of staff at the self service check outs to help people.

If something isn't on the shelf, any member of staff will help you and go look "out back" to see if there's more stock.

Offline timsussex

Can I also commend Tesco
My local Tesco employs 2 guys to collect Trolleys from the car park both are what we used to call "a bit slow in the head".
They are both happy cheerful guys and have been doing the job in all weathers for many years 

Offline PilotMan

Can I also commend Tesco
My local Tesco employs 2 guys to collect Trolleys from the car park both are what we used to call "a bit slow in the head".
They are both happy cheerful guys and have been doing the job in all weathers for many years

Exactly the same at my local Tesco too, cheery happy fellas.

Offline Private Parts

Exactly the same at my local Tesco too, cheery happy fellas.

These guys are brilliant. And they will reach the top of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs (self actualisation) long before I will, and others too! :hi:

Offline Harry Monk

I don’t understand why people park half on the pavement , it seems more so recently.

They often block the pavement which if you have a pushchair , mobility scooter or are just unsteady on your feet , makes passing either impossible or difficult.

Not sure why someone would do it when the road is wide enough, it doesn’t help traffic to pass as there’s not enough room and if anything must increase the chance of your mirror being hit if someone does try to squeeze through.

I saw a delivery driver do it in a town once and politely pointed out to him that if he’ d just parked on the road that would be best as what he achieved was blocking both path and road.

Is it just me ?

Offline catweazle

I don’t understand why people park half on the pavement , it seems more so recently.

They often block the pavement which if you have a pushchair , mobility scooter or are just unsteady on your feet , makes passing either impossible or difficult.

Not sure why someone would do it when the road is wide enough, it doesn’t help traffic to pass as there’s not enough room and if anything must increase the chance of your mirror being hit if someone does try to squeeze through.

I saw a delivery driver do it in a town once and politely pointed out to him that if he’ d just parked on the road that would be best as what he achieved was blocking both path and road.

Is it just me ?
No, not just you!  Round here  there's a mix of town houses, semis, detached and flats. Every property has at least one allocated parking space. For the flats, there's a large car park behind the building,  with numbered bays and several marked for visitors .

Despite this, there's always a row of cars parked half on the pavement in front of the flats.

I can only surmise that they're  too lazy to walk the extra 100 steps or so from  the car park to the front door of the building,  so park out the front instead.

Offline PilotMan

In the town near to me, the high street is just two lanes and has double yellow lines along the full length for good reason. The pavement is very high, so most car drivers won't mount the pavement. If someone parks on the double yellow it causes a real back log. There's ample cheap (30p) parking in the car parks behind both sides of the High Street, and there's always space available, so there's no need to park on the High Street - Selfish Fuckers  :angry:

Parking and parking spaces are a really integral part of all new building planning applications now, as are requirements for access to public transport connections.

Most councils will refuse planning unless your application includes a specified ratio of parking spaces per household size and many insist that you include bicycle parking as well as EV charging. This often applies to refurbs and conversions of existing building. Caveats are often allowed if you are within X walking distance to a train station or major bus route.

That means that on street residential parking is being reduced and hopefully enforced more.

Offline timsussex

As you say parking spaces for both residential and retail are part of planning regs except
1) planning depts accept any old guff from developers - near me they converted a garage to a room and then 6 months doubled the size of the small cottage. The developers claimed 2 parking spaces  but neither are actually easily usable so 3 cars (!) are parked outside
2) A small shop in our village applied for change of retail type but was refused because of insufficient parking - yet the same council has happily expanded primary schools where there is already no parking for parents to pick up  their 5 year olds and chaos reigns at 3 o'clock 

Offline PilotMan

As you say parking spaces for both residential and retail are part of planning regs except
1) planning depts accept any old guff from developers - near me they converted a garage to a room and then 6 months doubled the size of the small cottage. The developers claimed 2 parking spaces  but neither are actually easily usable so 3 cars (!) are parked outside
2) A small shop in our village applied for change of retail type but was refused because of insufficient parking - yet the same council has happily expanded primary schools where there is already no parking for parents to pick up  their 5 year olds and chaos reigns at 3 o'clock

Yeah, the problem with all councils is the lack of manpower in planning to check, approve and enforce applications and developments.

On the positive side, if you are a developer and you get all the "boxes ticked", your plans have a high chance of going through.

Offline Private Parts

Yeah, the problem with all councils is the lack of manpower in planning to check, approve and enforce applications and developments.

On the positive side, if you are a developer and you get all the "boxes ticked", your plans have a high chance of going through.

Years ago that’s where NCP got the big break!
 “” don’t worry mr Mayor well look after that for you, save you the trouble!
Oh and here’s 10% of the revenue so Mrs Mayor can have a spaghetti Bol at Luigi’s “”

Along with estate agents and bookies crooks the lot.

Apols if any of you are parking magnates.
 :hi:

Offline Harry Monk

But what is the logic/thinking behind parking half on half off ?

I challenging a bloke when he blocked the path and his solution was for me to walk in the road  :dash:

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
But what is the logic/thinking behind parking half on half off ?

I challenging a bloke when he blocked the path and his solution was for me to walk in the road  :dash:
Some places tell you to.

Hidden Image/Members Only

Offline David1970

It’s illegal to park on pavements in Scotland with a few exceptions.

External Link/Members Only

Offline Harry Monk

Some places tell you to.

I wouldn’t have an issue if signs encouraged you to do so as it appears in this case some guidance is given and also seems to ensure the path is clear.
My concern is for anyone on a mobility scooter,pushing a pushchair (plus dog plus older siblings) or someone who is visually impaired.

I just don’t see what a driver gains by mounting the pavement

Offline Derrick101

It seems strange that it is OK to park on a pavement, but it is illegal to drive on a pavement unless it is to gain lawful access to a property
( i.e. over a dropped kerb).
Surely, you have to drive on the pavement to park on it  :unknown:

Offline timsussex

Article in Times by Claudia Winkleman that now she is getting older she finds platforms wierdly sexy Shoes like these

Now while I much prefer a girl in stilettos that's not why I'm grumpy

The shoes pictured are £975 ! who the hell spends a grand on a pair of shoes ?   esp ugly things like those!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 06:49:05 pm by timsussex »

Offline Private Parts

The shoes pictured are £975 ! who the hell spends a grand on a pair of shoes ?   esp ugly things like those!
« Last Edit: Today at 06:49:05 pm by timsussex »

Claudia winkleman .
My Trickers come in around that. But that’s mates rates, :hi:

Offline sir wanksalot

Is it just me ?

"....when the road is wide enough....." is the key. The problem is that judgement is required from the driver and well....you know how some people are in society these days!

Where I live, there are plenty of narrow streets in highly populated streets. If a car parked on the road on one side and a did likewise on the other side then that road would be blocked.

Offline badsin

Halfords.
Just one on checkout, close to 20 in the queue  :scare:

And why do they need my email address  :dash:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2024, 12:01:45 pm by badsin »

Offline standardpostage

Halfords.
Just one on checkout, close to 20 in the queue  :scare:

And why do they need my email address  :dash:
Email address is for advertising & junk mail. You don't have to give it.
Only one check out in my local Halfords also.
Minimum staff saves on staff wages.

Offline Punterperson1971

Email address is for advertising & junk mail. You don't have to give it.
Only one check out in my local Halfords also.
Minimum staff saves on staff wages.
Think the majority of stores now run on minimum staff to save money because not many shops are busy enough to justify loads of staff as people are buying more online nowadays that and rent & rates are sky high

Offline Harry Monk

Think the majority of stores now run on minimum staff to save money because not many shops are busy enough to justify loads of staff as people are buying more online nowadays that and rent & rates are sky high

I believe this is the reality of the new retail experience.
I went to John Lewis recently and couldn't find anyone in the section I was looking. Used to be a decent few about and a manager strolling around as well. Think they've cut the staff to save money and let the image of great customer service go...same across the board no doubt, sweat the asset !

Offline David1970

I deal with some retail companies through work and a lot of them are struggling to get staff. One manger told me that a branch had arranged 17 interview through the job center and only one person turned up for the interviews, and he was an Australian.
Its too easy on benefits, they keep getting money as long as they apply for jobs.

Offline timsussex

about 50 years ago my village had 2 "corner shops" and 2 grocers - there are none now.
Now I accept that 4 shops where you could buy milk in a village of a couple thousand people was overkill but slowly each one closed
The last holdout used to regularly get complaints comparing his prices to the local (4 miles away) Tesco.
When someone complained that an an item was 10p more than Tesco his two most regular responses were
1) I'm not selling cornflakes (or whatever) I'm selling service
2) Yes Madam but I'm 10p cheaper than Harrods

Shops need to realise their USP compared to online is service and if you lose that battle then you lose the war

Offline PilotMan

I deal with some retail companies through work and a lot of them are struggling to get staff. One manger told me that a branch had arranged 17 interview through the job center and only one person turned up for the interviews, and he was an Australian.
Its too easy on benefits, they keep getting money as long as they apply for jobs.

I know many businesses, especially in hospitality, are struggling to get and retain staff. We have a manpower crisis in the UK.

I have had a number of clients tell me that they cannot get staff to come in to their place of work, they insist on remote working. If the business pushes it they just leave and are able to find work fairly easily elsewhere.

Offline Harry Monk

Working in retail isn't fun, I had a very short stint at it.

It's poorly paid and long hours, gone are the days of double time on Sundays.

Also customers talk to you like shit so why would you get into the industry?

If you can work remotely possibly in a better climate and have flexy hours I'd have loved that.

Offline MrMatrix

about 50 years ago my village had 2 "corner shops" and 2 grocers - there are none now.
Now I accept that 4 shops where you could buy milk in a village of a couple thousand people was overkill but slowly each one closed
The last holdout used to regularly get complaints comparing his prices to the local (4 miles away) Tesco.
When someone complained that an an item was 10p more than Tesco his two most regular responses were
1) I'm not selling cornflakes (or whatever) I'm selling service
2) Yes Madam but I'm 10p cheaper than Harrods

Shops need to realise their USP compared to online is service and if you lose that battle then you lose the war
+1 :hi:

Offline RandomGuy99

Was watching The Dam Busters today and found they've redubbed the soundtrack to make the name of Guy Gibson's black dog be Trigger not Nigger. Now I understand the sensitivities around this, but why edit history?

Offline Blackpool Rock

Popped to the supermarket earlier as I managed to forget a couple of items yesterday, only 2 manned checkouts open both with a couple of people at them.
All old duffers so i'm not expecting them to be that quick but the old bloke and woman in front of me took a fucking age to unload the stuff out of the trolley onto the belt, the woman seemed to be taking it out of the trolley and the bloke was then basically picking random items up and putting them back down  :wacko:
In the meantime items were being scanned through and he's still pissing about doing basically fuck all  :dash:
Eventually he realises they can start packing so slowly moves down to the packing area where he proceeds to just look at what's been scanned through without making any attempt to actually pack anything  :diablo:

I then look round and a couple of fat ugly fuckers were shuffling round wearing face masks but only over their mouths and not their noses  :dash:

Offline Thephoenix

Popped to the supermarket earlier as I managed to forget a couple of items yesterday, only 2 manned checkouts open both with a couple of people at them.
All old duffers so i'm not expecting them to be that quick but the old bloke and woman in front of me took a fucking age to unload the stuff out of the trolley onto the belt, the woman seemed to be taking it out of the trolley and the bloke was then basically picking random items up and putting them back down  :wacko:
In the meantime items were being scanned through and he's still pissing about doing basically fuck all  :dash:
Eventually he realises they can start packing so slowly moves down to the packing area where he proceeds to just look at what's been scanned through without making any attempt to actually pack anything  :diablo:

I then look round and a couple of fat ugly fuckers were shuffling round wearing face masks but only over their mouths and not their noses  :dash:

Have you never thought about anger management Rocky? :D
What about some transcendental meditation?

Offline Blackpool Rock

Have you never thought about anger management Rocky? :D
What about some transcendental meditation?
Trans fucking what  :mad:  :D

Offline Harry Monk

Offline mr.bluesky

Article in Times by Claudia Winkleman that now she is getting older she finds platforms wierdly sexy Shoes like these

The same women who would spend a grand on a handbag.

Offline mr.bluesky

Almost as bad as the person who doesn't put the " next customer " divider on the conveyor belt after they have loaded all their items so you have to reach across to get it which is always just out of reach  :dash:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 09:35:36 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Jonestown

The same women who would spend a grand on a handbag.

A grand doesn’t get you much in the way of statement handbags these days, you need a budget of two to five times that to get in the major league.

Offline mr.bluesky

A grand doesn’t get you much in the way of statement handbags these days, you need a budget of two to five times that to get in the major league.

I'll have to take your word on that  :D

Offline PilotMan

You beat me to it

Offline timsussex

A painting set to be sold for £1500 was then re-assigned to be the work of Caravaggio and sold for £36million
Now don't get me wrong its a good painting but isnt there something wrong that the same painting suddenly becomes so much more valuable.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 12:48:15 am by timsussex »

Offline webpunter

A painting set to be sold for £1500 was then re-assigned to be the work of Caravaggio and sold for £36million
Now don't get me wrong its a good painting but isnt there something wrong that the same painting suddenly becomes so much more valuable.

Imagine taking a 'punt' on it & buying it for £1,500

IMO people who buy these paintings are having a rich man's cock measuring contest

How interesting  :rolleyes:

One of the few times that something being re-assigned works out well

Offline Blackpool Rock

Yes exactly it's a manufactured value of "Worth" which has been hyped up over the years (perhaps centuries) by a few influential people in the art world
Effectively it started out as a Ponzi scheme  :unknown:

I'm sure there was a program on a few years ago about a bloke who was a really good painter and could mimic the style of a lot of these old painters and create new paintings using old canvas etc then pass them off as unknown works of art worth Millions

Offline Private Parts

Blackpool rock-
“ Yes exactly it's a manufactured value of "Worth" which has been hyped up over the years (perhaps centuries) by a few influential people in the art world
Effectively it started out as a Ponzi scheme”

Exactly the same as the manufactured prima Donnas at Man U Man C et al.

Like Billy Bunter’s waist line inflated

Offline lostandfound

Stuff is worth what people will pay for it. If there are collectors who will pay £36 million then that's what it's worth. Economic utility and all that.

How much do McCartney's hand written lyrics sell for? I could write some words on paper that would look just the same.

Offline Jonestown

Stuff is worth what people will pay for it. If there are collectors who will pay £36 million then that's what it's worth. Economic utility and all that.

These high value painting and works of art aren't being bought to hang on walls, they are kept in bank vaults and used to underwrite deals,  international and often criminal.

Offline akauya

When at the cinema, you're sitting down comfortably enjoying the film then late comers walk right up to you without saying anything and expect you to move/give them room to get past. Would it hurt to say excuse please?

Offline ulstersubbie

When at the cinema, you're sitting down comfortably enjoying the film then late comers walk right up to you without saying anything and expect you to move/give them room to get past. Would it hurt to say excuse please?

Not only that, but noisy eaters chomping away on popcorn or other snacks.

Offline mr.bluesky

Not only at the cinema but at football and Rugby matches.  :angry: some people just have no manners

Offline sir wanksalot

Almost as bad as the person who doesn't put the " next customer " divider on the conveyor belt after they have loaded all their items so you have to reach across to get it which is always just out of reach  :dash:

Or the ones who reach over and grab a divider and start plonking their items on the conveyor whilst you still have half a trolly to unpack. That's a declaration of war!

Offline akauya

Not only that, but noisy eaters chomping away on popcorn or other snacks.

OMG - I hate that! I wish we could ban popcorn and other shit snacks. I find that so annoying! Oh and people looking at their fucking mobile phones in the middle of a film. I have had words with people when they get their phones out. If they're not interested in the film why don't they leave?

I'm officially a grumpy old bastard now  :D
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 02:42:30 pm by akauya »

Offline PilotMan

Here's a cinema conundrum (well Everyman cinema).

They bring food to you, the film starts, the lights go down, can't see a f&*king thing :angry:, turn on mobile phone to see what's what, invoke the ire of fellow patrons  :unknown: - eat food in the dark.

Get outside in the light and you look like Sir Les Patterson  :vomit: