Thanks. I see it’s listed in the current version of the patients leaflet.
External Link/Members OnlyLast revision (scrolling down) 26/01/2022.
Normal frequency 1 per 50,000
Frequency listed as rate side effect of vaccine: 1 in 10,000
Some early cases:
External Link/Members OnlySo was the patient information leaflet sufficient or are we saying more detailed advance information should have been provided and wasn’t?
It’s a very interesting puzzle and I was looking to see what we have for formal guidance on it.
This perhaps:
"The test of materiality is whether, in the circumstances of the particular case, a reasonable person in the patient's position would be likely to attach significance to the risk, or the doctor is or should reasonably be aware that the particular patient would be likely to attach significance to.
"The assessment of whether a risk is material cannot be reduced to percentages. The significance of a given risk is likely to reflect a variety of factors besides its magnitude"
Which is from:
External Link/Members Only (the box on the right, first page).
Now if we follow that, it would seem to me that a reasonable person would attach rather low significance to the risk given that is exceedingly small and that the risk of covid was exceedingly great. Vaccinations of course were not compulsory.
I think the rule about giving enough info for informed consent would follow similar lines. Without looking the legal case law I suspect comes down similarly to a “reasonable doctor” and “reasonable patient”. I don’t think it can be backdated inasmuch as “if I’d known I was going to be the 1 in 10,000 I wouldn’t have had it”, because nobody would have known that.