Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Little Richard - dead.  (Read 610 times)

Offline winkywanky

Sad news today  :(.

One of the original founders of Rock & Roll. He led a very eclectic life, without recourse to Google and just off the top of my head he was outrageously camp, naughty, an amazing performer and singer, gay, a preacher, straight again, got married, you name it.

I suppose the ultimate measure of the man is that SEVENTY years after his first appearance as that singer, his songs and his persona still come across as very naughty and dangerously subversive. How fucking cool is that?  :cool:

Offline Fuzzyduck

Fine words, WW. He inspired so many.

Online Colston36

Sad news today  :(.

One of the original founders of Rock & Roll. He led a very eclectic life, without recourse to Google and just off the top of my head he was outrageously camp, naughty, an amazing performer and singer, gay, a preacher, straight again, got married, you name it.

I suppose the ultimate measure of the man is that SEVENTY years after his first appearance as that singer, his songs and his persona still come across as very naughty and dangerously subversive. How fucking cool is that?  :cool:

I recall seeing him in The Girl Can't Help It in 1956. I only have to type that to see him playing, one foot on the keyboard and hear the song in my head. The big Rock stars then were supposed to be Bill Haley & the Comets. He was about 3,000 times better. Also outrageous and extremely funny. If he coulnd't make you dance you were dead - and now he is. Sad.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 02:40:16 am by Colston36 »

Offline Blackpool Rock

I think his stuff just epitomises peoples idea of 1950's America, post WW2 was boom time in America and the start of youth culture along with many outrageous things such as the way cars looked and then along came rock and roll  :drinks:

Interestingly a lot of his songs were very short, my favourite was always long tall sally which is barely over 2 minutes long  :hi:

External Link/Members Only

Offline Corus Boy

Heaven will be rocking tonight!

Offline joe diddley

Saw him 48 years ago. He was one of the greatest in my opinion. Got pretty much all of his 50s recordings. My favorite of his singles (from 1957) is 'Can't Believe You Wanna Leave' (what power!) b/w 'Keep-A-Knockin'' (which features his own rawer stage band, the Upsetters rather the more polished Specialty house band as found on most of his recordings of the time).

Offline joe diddley

Interestingly a lot of his songs were very short, my favourite was always long tall sally which is barely over 2 minutes long  :hi:

Almost all songs were less than three minutes then. I don't think LR's were exceptional for the time. Always good, mind you, to provide links to his songs!  :drinks:

Offline george r

before my time but he got to a good age for his lifestyle..

Offline NIK

One of the all time greats!  :dance:

Offline NIK

With Little Richard’s passing this leaves virtually only Jerry Lee & one half of the Everly Brothers of the original rock n roll greats.
The other half of the Everlys, Elvis, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Bill Hayley, Carl Perkins, Eddie Cochran, Buddy Holly, Gene Vincent, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, Lloyd Price, Larry Williams & I believe most of if not all of the Coasters are now all gone.
Makes you think.

Offline winkywanky

Their names and their work lives on. They started something special, they'll never be forgotten  :cool:.

Offline NIK

Their names and their work lives on. They started something special, they'll never be forgotten  :cool:.

Yes.
Unlike X Factor and Britain’s Got Talent crap.

Offline winkywanky

Yes, utter shite for the me-me-me generation.

Online lostandfound

I'm not convinced. Talent shows, Youtube, Spotify, they're key parts of a new musical ecosystem.

Covid will shake up society and the economy. Will we see another wave of musical innovation post Covid, as happened post WW2?

Let me rephrase that - we will see a wave of musical innovation post Covid, just as happened after WW2.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:29:44 pm by lostandfound »

Offline winkywanky

I'm not convinced. Talent shows, Youtube, Spotify, they're key parts of a new musical ecosystem.

Covid will shake up society and the economy. Will we see another wave of musical innovation post Covid, as happened post WW2?

Well for me the (current) new musical ecosystem is pretty shit, and I hear very little that I like coming out of it.

Prime example for me, is the whiney, flaky voices I hear, singing whiney and snowflaky songs. I hate it. And it seems to be a choice between that and the current disruptive and socially-aggressive black music which largely stems from gang culture influences.

I'm dearly hoping that Covid will spawn some genuinely new and radical stuff but I'm not holding my breath. It'll probably just be more whiney shit about how everyone wants to slit their wrists and we're all little flowers just blowing on the wind of fate.

God I sound old  :lol:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 05:31:16 pm by winkywanky »

Online lostandfound

Well for me the (current) new musical ecosystem is pretty shit, and I hear very little that I like coming out of it.

Prime example for me, is the whiney, flaky voices I hear, singing whiney and snowflaky songs. I hate it. And it seems to be a choice between that and the current disruptive and socially-aggressive black music which largely stems from gang culture influences.

I'm dearly hoping that Covid will spawn some genuinely new and radical stuff but I'm not holding my breath. It'll probably just be more whiney shit about how everyone wants to slit their wrists and we're all little flowers just blowing on the wind of fate.

Well, I will shock you, I listen to Arianna Grande on my runs. What a voice that girl has - a fantastic instrument. And fantastic production - which is half the fun of pop music.

Although I think you may be on to something with a slitting wrists song about little flowers blowing on the wind. Though it does sound a bit sixties.

Offline winkywanky

Well, I will shock you, I listen to Arianna Grande on my runs. What a voice that girl has - a fantastic instrument. And fantastic production - which is half the fun of pop music.

Although I think you may be on to something with a slitting wrists song about little flowers blowing on the wind. Though it does sound a bit sixties.

Very different from the 60s, that was Flower-Power and free love.

There is some good stuff about.

But the penchant for endless navel-gazing by so many artists now does my head in  :dash:

Offline Davey Dykes

Was just reading an Obituary on him and this was included.

His sexuality was no simple thing. As he revealed in his candid autobiography, The Life and Times of Little Richard (1984, as told to Charles White), he fancied men and women, but most of all he fancied himself.

Quite apt I thought.

He made some fantastic records over the years, most of them way before I was born.

RIP

Offline Blackpool Rock

While I agree with you we also need to bear in mind the older generations have disapproved of the "current music" and sub cultures since the 1950's Teddy boys went around fighting and carrying razors etc.
50 years on the gangs are still there in a different form with a different tune.
Inbetween that we have had gangs of mods and rocker tearing chunks out of each other and who wanted to walk past a pissed up mob of glue sniffing punks back in the late 70's / early 80's

As for how good the music was, well we all have individual preferences but i'd say the majority of music in any era was probably shit and best left forgotten however we still remember the best ones as they were the shining gems in an otherwise dull pool of shit.

Lockdown has given me a bit more time to kill and i've gone through a few of my old CD's dragging out some Bob Dylan amongst other stuff, I was wondering whether kids these days would even know who he was let alone any of his songs.
What is classed as protest music these days  :unknown:

Offline Xtro

R.I.P.L.R.   :cry:

I think that was to do with how much would actually fit onto the vinyl discs.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 08:18:35 pm by Xtro »

Offline Xtro

I find that watching the music videos can help one appreciate the new vibes.

Halsey - You should be sad - External Link/Members Only

Kygo, Zara Larsson, Tyga - Like It Is - External Link/Members Only

Tones and I - Dance Monkey - External Link/Members Only   This is my favourite!!

Enjoy, you old git!   ;)   :D

Offline winkywanky

While I agree with you we also need to bear in mind the older generations have disapproved of the "current music" and sub cultures since the 1950's Teddy boys went around fighting and carrying razors etc.
50 years on the gangs are still there in a different form with a different tune.
Inbetween that we have had gangs of mods and rocker tearing chunks out of each other and who wanted to walk past a pissed up mob of glue sniffing punks back in the late 70's / early 80's

As for how good the music was, well we all have individual preferences but i'd say the majority of music in any era was probably shit and best left forgotten however we still remember the best ones as they were the shining gems in an otherwise dull pool of shit.

Lockdown has given me a bit more time to kill and i've gone through a few of my old CD's dragging out some Bob Dylan amongst other stuff, I was wondering whether kids these days would even know who he was let alone any of his songs.
What is classed as protest music these days
  :unknown:

Of course, hence my comment about I must be getting old... :cry:

You're right, every period has its rebels and rabble-rousers. And I personally enjoyed punk, it was my era and I was in a couple of bands. I never did the glue sniffing though, I was Mr. Boring  :rolleyes:.

Well I did mention whiney, and you had to go and mention Bob Dylan. Although not whiney in the sense in which I meant it, purely his rather nasal tone  :D I have a lot of respect for Dylan but my God, I detest his voice  :scare:. Great songwriter, but I have to say I prefer many of his (great) songs sung by other people :blush:.

Offline Xtro

... And now Betty Wright has passed away.   :cry:

Offline winkywanky

Not that familiar with her stuff, but quite young!  :(

Offline Blackpool Rock

... And now Betty Wright has passed away.   :cry:
Never heard of her but a quick Google tells me it's not my music style so that's probably why.

In terms of pop stars dying and dying young obviously there have been quite a lot over the years due to fast living and drugs etc but some either weren't as bad as their image or just got lucky.
I previously heard someone saying they couldn't believe the Rolling Stones weren't all dead and that must have been 20 years ago  :scare:

Offline NIK

Never heard of her but a quick Google tells me it's not my music style so that's probably why.

In terms of pop stars dying and dying young obviously there have been quite a lot over the years due to fast living and drugs etc but some either weren't as bad as their image or just got lucky.
I previously heard someone saying they couldn't believe the Rolling Stones weren't all dead and that must have been 20 years ago  :scare:

I think for at least two thirds of his life Jagger has been a fitness fanatic rather than a bad boy.
However Richards and Wood are phenomenal as they are both still around having drank, smoked and drugged for England.

Online hendrix

A true pioneer.

Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" was written when John Bonham started playing the drum intro to "Keep a Knocking" at rehearsals and Page came in with that riff..

Offline winkywanky

Very true.

in 1000 yrs' time it'll just be the cockroaches and Keith Richards & Mick Jagger left.

And knowing Jagger's sex drive, I feel sorry for Keith  :D

Offline winkywanky

A true pioneer.

Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" was written when John Bonham started playing the drum intro to "Keep a Knocking" at rehearsals and Page came in with that riff..

Holy Jesus I never knew that! I play drums and like most drummers of a certain age I'm a BIG fan of Bonham.

Here:

Thanks hendrix  :hi:

(I love the irony that Bonham is probably the most sampled drummer in the world, yet in effect he stole that. That would make him smile, because he loved the early rockers so much  :cool:)

Offline Blackpool Rock

I think for at least two thirds of his life Jagger has been a fitness fanatic rather than a bad boy.
However Richards and Wood are phenomenal as they are both still around having drank, smoked and drugged for England.
I had heard that Jagger liked to keep fit, ironically he had a heart problem last year requiring an op but they are still doing live gigs and he was on stage a couple of years ago running around like a youngster, not bad for a guy in his mid 70's

Online hendrix

Holy Jesus I never knew that! I play drums and like most drummers of a certain age I'm a BIG fan of Bonham.

Here:

Thanks hendrix  :hi:

(I love the irony that Bonham is probably the most sampled drummer in the world, yet in effect he stole that. That would make him smile, because he loved the early rockers so much  :cool:)

Indeed   :) a lot of the hard rock drummers that followed Bonham completely missed his big band/rock and roll/swing influences imo. Hence, sounding much more leaden for my tastes. Bonham understood groove.

Offline winkywanky

Indeed   :) a lot of the hard rock drummers that followed Bonham completely missed his big band/rock and roll/swing influences imo. Hence, sounding much more leaden for my tastes. Bonham understood groove.

When you look at Zeppelin there's Blues, Hard Rock, Country and Jazz, all in there  :cool:.

Possibly my fave album is Physical Grafitti, Down By The Seaside came on in my car yesterday, I nearly cried with the beauty of it. And then you get the brutal bump and grind stomp of In My Time Of Dying.

Stairway to Heaven is just one example containing Bonham's Jazz/Swing style you reference.

Yes, Bonham had the groove, and he had the enormous kick drum that made the girls shake their tush, at pub gigs I used to be very aware that a syncopation of my kick drum would make the girls go all gooey, it was fascinating. But the lead guitarist always got the chicks after all my hard work  :rolleyes:  :cry:.

Offline Fuzzyduck

A true pioneer.

Thanks for this. I had never made the connection. Doh. It gives me something to come back to my mates who are Zep fans and complain about how "everyone rips them off". Everyone borrows from the past. The Beach Boys nicked from Chuck Berry to do Surfin USA and Berry himself nicked from guys like Carl Hogan.

Offline winkywanky

Early Rock & Roll came out of Blues, with added Gospel and Jazz influences. It basically came out of Black music but I think with a very welcome melodic and folk influence from de white folks.

It's truly interracial music. And all the better for it.

Offline winkywanky

But it is fascinating to hear early white bands directly namechecking the very early Blues stuff from decades before, be that with a riff or with a lyric (or as above, a drum beat).

Dazed and confused, down on that killing floor, back door man, and all the rest.

Online hendrix

When you look at Zeppelin there's Blues, Hard Rock, Country and Jazz, all in there  :cool:.

Possibly my fave album is Physical Grafitti, Down By The Seaside came on in my car yesterday, I nearly cried with the beauty of it. And then you get the brutal bump and grind stomp of In My Time Of Dying.

Stairway to Heaven is just one example containing Bonham's Jazz/Swing style you reference.

Yes, Bonham had the groove, and he had the enormous kick drum that made the girls shake their tush, at pub gigs I used to be very aware that a syncopation of my kick drum would make the girls go all gooey, it was fascinating. But the lead guitarist always got the chicks after all my hard work  :rolleyes:  :cry:.

Physical Graffiti is probably my favourite album of all time! I really love the drumming on "In The Light" too, it's just so beautifully "weighted". For such a powerhouse, Bonzo had great dynamics.

Turning this thread into a Bonham/Zep love in  :D

Online hendrix

Thanks for this. I had never made the connection. Doh. It gives me something to come back to my mates who are Zep fans and complain about how "everyone rips them off". Everyone borrows from the past. The Beach Boys nicked from Chuck Berry to do Surfin USA and Berry himself nicked from guys like Carl Hogan.

Absolutely. I mean, ultimately there are 12 notes in Western music, everything is recycled. All genres have a vocabulary of licks and phrases that are essential, every musician borrows from the past.

Offline winkywanky

:cool:  :cool:  :cool:

Yes, all about 'feel' and that's something I learned more as I got older, less is more very often, and that includes volume. You can be more powerful with less volume, you can make it mean more.

Offline Xtro

Early Rock & Roll came out of Blues, with added Gospel and Jazz influences. It basically came out of Black music but I think with a very welcome melodic and folk influence from de white folks.

It's truly interracial music. And all the better for it.

Here's a number of clips from the documentary, Soundbreaking: Stories from the Cutting Edge of Recorded Music.
The Power of Gospel’s Frenzied Rhythm - External Link/Members Only
What Would Happen to the Music Business Without Electricity? - External Link/Members Only
The Elevated Musical Consciousness of The Beach Boys - External Link/Members Only
The Who in the Studio: The Synth is a Member of the Band - External Link/Members Only
Nobody Knew That Boston Wasn't Really a Band At All - External Link/Members Only

It's a great documentary to watch.

Trailer - External Link/Members Only

PBS Site (About) - External Link/Members Only

Offline winkywanky

Once again, Google Analytics supplied by Xtro  :thumbsup:

Offline winkywanky

Seen some of those before.

I have Glyn Johns' book (worked with The Who, Zep and many others  :cool:).

If reincarnation is real, I want to come back in California in the 60s  :cool:.

...what, you mean I can't come back in the past?  :cry: