Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Punting smartphone - need some help and advice  (Read 4953 times)

Offline mcardle464

I have two unregistered phones - a bog-standard nokia, and a more recent smartphone (for dating and SA). 

The smartphone is on Vodafone PAYG network.  I never gave them any details and kept it topped up with vouchers for cash.

At some point I think they must have upgraded the MyVodafone app - anyway the phone no longer connects or receives txts, although it does seem to operate on my home wifi.

I had an hours chat today with vodafone idiots to try to sort this out but they couldn't seem to wrap their tiny heads around the fact that it was unregistered and kept asking me for "security details" like name and D.O.B.  I got a bit exasperated after a while and asked for a PAC code to change networks, but they claimed they couldn't give me one without security details.  Which of course I am not going to give them.

Can I just stick another sim in it - I'm sure it's unlocked?  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Cupid Stuntz

Just put a different sim in and see. If it works bingo. If not then it isn't unlocked. It would probably help sort your problem if you went into a Vodaphone shop and spoke face to face with a real person.

Online Billy no mates

Just put a different sim in and see. If it works bingo. If not then it isn't unlocked. It would probably help sort your problem if you went into a Vodaphone shop and spoke face to face with a real person.

Are there any real people in those vodafone shops, or is it all salesmen, that have no interest unless youre there to buy/sign up for something.

Offline george r

get a sim from asda for 50 pence, 10 free texts and tens mins of talk plus some data also .us the free stuff in the first 30 days.

Offline jackdaw

Know naff all about technical details, but have just taken a SIM card out and put in a different one in a couple of unlocked smartphones without noticing any problems.

Why would it be a problem if it was “locked”? Never  needed to use one, but where I live, you can hardly move once in city centre without seeing some shop or stall holder offering to unlock phones.

Offline Cupid Stuntz

Are there any real people in those vodafone shops, or is it all salesmen, that have no interest unless youre there to buy/sign up for something.

There's a dude in my local one who is very helpful. Goddammit I'm a customer! I do understand what you mean though but their after sales face to face is ok. Forget trying to do it on the dog n bone. At least they speak fluent English in the shop!

Offline Avg_Joe

if it's not unlocked, i can dig out the details of the place is used to unlock mine, it was an automated type of service, cost about a fiver for my old nokia to be unlocked.

For SIMS i just grab the 50p payg ones form asda, they come with i think 5 minutes and 10 texts before you top them up, no registration, and top up with vouchers, only down side is they are only valid for a certain period before you have to use them and then you have to use them once evry 3 months or something like that
Banned reason: White knight.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline hungrypunt

Ive been using my samsung now with the "secure folder" by knox instea of 2 phones,
get a hushed 2nd number or similar on it, then 2 whatsapps, kik, insta, snapchat etc etc.

I dont have a seperate punt phone anymore

Online RogerBoner

Text Me - Free Texting & Calls – Android Apps on Google Play External Link/Members Only

TextMe is similar to Hushed. You get an authentic looking number that you can call from and receive to. You get free credits by watching adverts or downloading and then uninstalling apps. So there is no longer the need for a punting phone.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 07:28:23 pm by RogerBoner »

Offline Gordon Bennett

Dunno if this is relevant or helpful but I accidently  discovered recently that Whatsapp works in your Smartphone over WiFi even without a SIM in the phone. I suspect you may have to have the SIM in for the initial instal and setup but after that, you can take the SIM out and retain full functionality of Whatsapp, including voice calls to contacts with whatsapp on their phone.

JV547845

Has your PAYG credit just expired at the end of the monthly block?  Just switch the SIMs and test it

Offline mcardle464

Thanks to everybody for all your suggestions and advice.  Can't be bothered fiddling with the phone any more today but I will get it sorted out soon. :hi:

Offline Bassman

A lot of smart phones are automatically unlocked now after your contract expires.

I discovered this after calling my provider to unlock my last 2 phones. I needed to just reset and swap sims.

Offline mcardle464

OK,  I've worked out what is going on.

1)  The smart phone is unlocked.  It seems to have space for 3 sims.

2.  Vodafone cancelled and recycled my phone no because I didn't use it for a while.  I dunno how much credit there was on it, not much but they still stiffed me.

So currently I am without a phone no for this.  I've got a giffgaff sim but it doesn't have a phone number.  Should it?

I had a look in ASDA today - saw 50 p sims but they had no credit (and all were out of date on the package!).  I notice that all these deals seem to insist that you top up every month or lose the credit.  That's not much good for a punting phone!

Offline pamplona

OK,  I've worked out what is going on.

1)  The smart phone is unlocked.  It seems to have space for 3 sims.

2.  Vodafone cancelled and recycled my phone no because I didn't use it for a while.  I dunno how much credit there was on it, not much but they still stiffed me.

So currently I am without a phone no for this.  I've got a giffgaff sim but it doesn't have a phone number.  Should it?

I had a look in ASDA today - saw 50 p sims but they had no credit (and all were out of date on the package!).  I notice that all these deals seem to insist that you top up every month or lose the credit.  That's not much good for a punting phone!

Register your giff gaff sim and use a false name if you want. Giff Gaff will then give you an option to keep your old number or allocate you a new one. Job done.

Offline mcardle464

looks like I'd better get another sim with a new number.  I'm thinking either 1p mobile or 3 as either seem cheap for payg.

Offline Avg_Joe

ASDA should have valid ones, ask them, or try a different store, once you get a valid on that doesn't require a phone call to them to register it, it will come with about 5 mins free and 10 texts, that lasts for 30 days from first use, and then it'll need a top up via voucher, the voucher lasts a while after purchase before use, once in the phone you need to make one call or text charge to it every 3 months i think it is, so call the speaking clock if you have to, or your local take out and hang up!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 04:11:52 pm by Avg_Joe »
Banned reason: White knight.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline threechilliman

Use your bog standard nokia for punting is my advice.

Offline mcardle464

I agree, for normal punting, but I've got all this SA and dating stuff on the smartphone, and also, I want a non-traceable phone in case, as has happened, I meet a lunatic, and she turns psycho.

Online ollielon

Text Me - Free Texting & Calls – Android Apps on Google Play External Link/Members Only

TextMe is similar to Hushed. You get an authentic looking number that you can call from and receive to. You get free credits by watching adverts or downloading and then uninstalling apps. So there is no longer the need for a punting phone.

I find that TextMe does not allow me to contact certain number in the UK ?! is that also the case for other people using it and do you know why this is the case ? special numbers ? etc.

Offline bash_eer

I have been using 3 PAYG go sims you can top up with a little as 5 quid and as long as you use one over six months the credit keeps rolling on. I have an old Nokia which does the job for contacting WG's long battery and small.

I signed up to TextMe yesterday and seems to be ok plus I was able to sign up to whatsapp using the number so could be the end of a separate putting phone

Offline mattmugwump

I have been using 3 PAYG go sims you can top up with a little as 5 quid and as long as you use one over six months the credit keeps rolling on. I have an old Nokia which does the job for contacting WG's long battery and small.

I signed up to TextMe yesterday and seems to be ok plus I was able to sign up to whatsapp using the number so could be the end of a separate putting phone

I would still prefer to use a totally separate device as my smart phone tracks all my movements/locations etc. and sends me lovely maps and reviews of where I have been in the last month... explaining away the local supermarket is fine but trying to explain why I was in a random location for an hour when I was supposed to be "at home" isn't so easy!

Offline aquilla

I would still prefer to use a totally separate device as my smart phone tracks all my movements/locations etc. and sends me lovely maps and reviews of where I have been in the last month... explaining away the local supermarket is fine but trying to explain why I was in a random location for an hour when I was supposed to be "at home" isn't so easy!

I turn off location before going punting.
Nothing is tracked then

Online RogerBoner

I find that TextMe does not allow me to contact certain number in the UK ?! is that also the case for other people using it and do you know why this is the case ? special numbers ? etc.
I had issues with receiving calls from WGs whose phones thought that the TextMe numbers were premium numbers in disguise. Now I would use a burner phone. During lockdown my burner number was cancelled because I hadn't made a call in six months. Lycamobile sent me a free sim which I topped up anonymously by buying credit from PayPal's website. There seem to be a lot of scam top up sites but PayPal is safe.

Offline disco

use hushed - same phone 'secret' number. Been doing that for years, works wonders

Offline asiansurfer

I used to use Hushed until recently. The calling is currently down and its hit and miss. I found Devyce last month which is cheaper and offers unlimited calling and messaging. Plus I have stuck the number in WhatsApp For Business so have 2 WhatsApps on my phone.

Online Watts.E.Dunn

Old secondhand Nokia one that you found in a drawer at work, or in the street, or a mate left in your car one night?, as inconspicious as possible and ERASE all the detials right after the punt!!

Offline Richthescouser

Is anyone else finding that TextMe no longer shows a free number, everything seems to need a subscription?

Online ollielon

Is anyone else finding that TextMe no longer shows a free number, everything seems to need a subscription?

Yes just happened to me too .. only free number for US and Canada now .. their subscription is kind of messy to understand as well ... might just continue with it to finish my outstanding credit balance and then find an alternative ...

Offline JimmySW

Yes just happened to me too .. only free number for US and Canada now .. their subscription is kind of messy to understand as well ... might just continue with it to finish my outstanding credit balance and then find an alternative ...

Another number works for me External Link/Members Only

Online ollielon

Another number works for me External Link/Members Only

Yes did a bit of digging yesterday ... TextMe is £20/year to keep the UK number and then 100 credit for £1.99 which is not to bad ... Hushed seemed slightly better with £29.99/year but then around 1,000 text available in the package .. Another number was £4.99/month + PAYG which makes it quite more expensive ... I will probably switch to Hushed ... TextMe had some issue with some UK numbers as well ...

Offline Bigwilts

I’ve just checked it out as my last number was deleted a while ago
Add number has given me a choice of UK numbers and allowed me to keep it straight away, but deleting that one and adding again wants me to pick a subscription option

It might be a matter of leaving it empty for a while between numbers or being charged subscriptions for regular changes swaps.  If they have changed so that I can’t get another then there’s no real loss for me as all my credit was free

Offline Captainhowdy666

I have an old galaxy s7 as a back up, stashed in a drawer and only on when I’m alone and ready for a punt, SIM card and phone are pin locked with random numbers.
Deliberately smashed the screen protector so it looks like an old trash phone.
Only issue I have is for some reason libara texts fail to come through on Voda payg.
Googled it and it’s a common problem.

Offline asiansurfer

I use Devyce guys. Turn off the notifications and you have a second 07 number on your phone. Also downloaded WhatsApp for Business so have 2 whatsapps also now. Cant argue with 4.99 a month unlimited SMS and Calls! (External Link/Members Only)

Offline Richthescouser

Add number has given me a choice of UK numbers and allowed me to keep it straight away, but deleting that one and adding again wants me to pick a subscription option

It might be a matter of leaving it empty for a while between numbers or being charged subscriptions for regular changes swaps.  If they have changed so that I can’t get another then there’s no real loss for me as all my credit was free

I’ve found there’s no free option using an iPhone, but the same account on an android phone gives the option of a free UK number.

Online ollielon

Thanks this trick worked for me ...

My previous free UK number expired .. so had to click on it and delete it (i.e. burn it)

Once I did I was able to get a new number in UK for free ..

I guess they tried to make you purchase subscription to keep your previous number but if you dont mind loosing it .. and burn it .. you can get another free UK number

Cheers ! saved me £20 .. :-)

Offline Bond

Yes did a bit of digging yesterday ... TextMe is £20/year to keep the UK number and then 100 credit for £1.99 which is not to bad ... Hushed seemed slightly better with £29.99/year but then around 1,000 text available in the package .. Another number was £4.99/month + PAYG which makes it quite more expensive ... I will probably switch to Hushed ... TextMe had some issue with some UK numbers as well ...

CloudSIM is another option you could consider.

Offline neweewee

Not much to add, but just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation of WhatsApp Business. It means I can use my Another Number and my proper number, on the same phone, without people asking me why I don’t use WhatsApp!

Offline Bigwilts

My latest attempt has been successful again.
The other day after I created and deleted the system didn’t want to give me a free number, if i didn’t subscribe the number in the ‘basket’ with a 15 minute countdown would disappear

I’ve gone back today and it still wanted me to add a subscription, but I clicked ‘more options’, still didn’t pick a subscription and the free number has stayed.

I think they are allowing free UK numbers but making it appear harder to get them

Online ollielon

Found this deal recently with Hushed - UK number for life - 6000 SMS / 1000 minutes for £19, make sure you use the UK offer rather than US/CA.

External Link/Members Only
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 03:48:42 pm by ollielon »

Offline Yakata

I appreciate this doesn't quite fit with the original message but a word of advice. If you're using an app like text me or hushed on your smartphone, bear in mind that when you download or use it, it'll show up in your google 'my activity' for that Google account that your phone is registered on.

This isn't really an issue if your Google account of your phone is different to any of your other smart devices, but if you e.g. share a chrome browser, or one / several android tablets / phones (not sure about apple) that are registered to the same Google account, then anyone using those other smart devices could view the Google 'my activity' on whatever they're using and see that you've downloaded / used text me or whatever.

It won't show any messages you've sent. It just shows that you've used it and when which could arouse suspicions if your Mrs or whoever caught sight of the fact you'd been using a second phone number app.

The way to avoid that being noticed is to ideally use a VPN. Log onto that before you use the text me app and it should not log it on 'my activity' (it doesn't for me at least). If you don't want to use a vpn then make sure you check your my activity after you've used the app and delete the record of it. Check a few times afterwards that it's deleted as it doesn't always disappear.

Offline Yakata

Sorry guys I'll have to rectify a statement I made above. Using a VPN does not stop Google my activity from recording your access of other apps. So if you do share smart devices with the same Google account make sure you delete the record of accessing the 2nd number apps (and also the record that you've installed it) from my activity.

For some reason it doesn't seem to log it straight away so check periodically throughout the day and delete. Also for belts and braces delete your chrome history of the fact you've accessed my activity.

Google are a bunch of sneaky twats I have to say.

Offline Buttons

Generally good advice is not to share devices with others. Win some extra brownie points with your other half and buy her her own iPad, Android tablet etc and make sure devices only use the cloud accounts of their owner.

Offline hungrypunt

Generally good advice is not to share devices with others. Win some extra brownie points with your other half and buy her her own iPad, Android tablet etc and make sure devices only use the cloud accounts of their owner.
100% thus
my wife has all her own sht, even her own amazon account then she cant see the "toys" ive bought for the fun girls

Offline Flipflop

If you had a work phone would you use it as a punting phone?

Offline jonnw16

If you had a work phone would you use it as a punting phone?
No, because there could then be other people who would have access to your call history.

Offline Lou2019

• Service Provider
No, because there could then be other people who would have access to your call history.

I think flip flop being sarcastic  :dash:

Offline miketaylor

Hello folks,

I have discovered something useful lately and think it will help some of us out.

Before this whole covid/wfh arrangement I used to have a spare phone locked in a draw at work with a separate sim card to do all my communications/arrangement. Nowadays, with me working from home, I formatted the spare phone and just kept the sim card in my wallet (and a stupid niddle as I have an Iphone, or maybe it's needed for all smart phones) and alternate when I have a chance to sneak out and do some damages. It's really annoying and looks suspicious when I change sim card on the side of the street and it also means I cannot make a booking at home (I find it too risky). Not to mention that I had to carefully delete all my related messages/phone call history after the deeds are done. Additionally, I don't have a separate apple ID so I had to turn off imessage as I think it's not linked to the sim card and it's still possible to still get messages after I change my sim card back.

Eventually I gave up and started to search for alternatives and a few google searches led me to this app called TextMe. I find it very useful given the following advantages in additional to all the overhead of having a spare sim/phone:
* I can turn off notification on the app for all incoming messages/calls
* I can block my number when I am not using it
* I can disable incoming/outgoing calls whenever I am not actively using it
* It's almost free to use, being almost free is because
   - the fee is 1 credit per text message/1 min phone call but
   - you can watch 15 seconds ads to get free credits
   - you can invite friends to get free credits (not for me as I want to keep it as private as I can)
   - you can buy 100 credits for 1.99 GBP, which is super cheap if you are not using it frequently, which is exactly my case.
   So far I haven't paid anything yet as I am worried about a potentially hard to explain apple store in app purchase charge to explain, not that it's likely but I am trying to mitigate any possible risks wherever I can.
* I block the app from having access to my contact and merging the chat history with my normal text message app, which keeps my two lives totally separated.
* this one might be annoying for some one at first glance, but I think it's useful for me. It does have some ads floating around (you can pay 1 or 2 GBP to have them removed) which makes the user interface confusing the first time you look at it, but it does provide a camouflage for someone accidentally opening the app. I group it with all my small offline gaming apps I had, which I used to play to kill the time in the tube when I had to commute to work so it's hard to be discovered.
* another useful feature, not for me but might be for others, is that you can discard and get a new number very easily. If you ever end up on the wrong side of a irrational SP who wouldn't leave you alone, you can get rid of the number altogether and get a new one with a few clicks. (Don't use this great power for evil though  :drinks: )

Last but not the least, if you are even more paranoid than I am, you can even delete the app after using and download it again when the need comes. Paying 1 GBP can get you 40 credits (or just watch the ads to get free credits) is so far the best/cheapest solution I have found/thought of.

Hope this helps to other punters in this great community and happy hunting.

- Mike

Offline daviemac

• Board Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Been around for years mate, there's mention of it here in a thread from 2017.  https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?topic=172219.msg1830732#msg1830732

Online ppunterr

Has been mentioned before many a time ... but all credit to the OP for the level of detail in terms of the features etc. On the back on that, I may actually give it a try. All this time, I have been using Vyke ... but they keep hiking up the prices.