Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Why is it difficult to walk away from a punt: Psychology 101  (Read 3300 times)

Offline peter purves

There are obviously a number of differing reasons:

1. Fear of creating offence (English cultural trait)
2. Shy personality (individual)
3. Thinking with the other 'head' (biology/individual)

Then there is

4. Due to taking so many steps to complete a punt (or behaviour) it then becomes hard to pull out (excuse the pun by changing the behaviour and or attitude that justifies the completion of a particular action ie the  punt).

Reference: Milgram, Obedience experiment 1964.

Thus with regard to 4, as long as a person see his steps as separate as opposed to one integrated action he should be able to walk away from a punt.

There ends today's Psychology lecture

I wonder how many of us have been caught in 4 without even knowing it??
Banned reason: Can't / won't take advice.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline momochan

I suppose if you have travelled far and spent money on fares , you might think fuck it since i am here might as well go for it.

Offline peter purves

I suppose if you have travelled far and spent money on fares , you might think fuck it since i am here might as well go for it.

That is point 4 in a nutshell  :dash:

Offline wolfiesmith69

An old punting pal i know always used to say "ah well i am here now" & go through with it
Banned reason: Blatant tout, posting multiple reviews and starting a thread to advertise his reviews.

Offline smartieshouse

At least its easier to have a fall back position these days.

Back in the day of selecting girls from the back of The Sport the girl was often your only choice, otherwise it was back home for a wank of Whitehouse Readers Digest - my fav mag of the 90's!!:-)

inxs950

Ive never walked but maybe should have twice. The above is true though. You seem to psych yourself up esp if youve never met the girl and hope that the punt might improve.

Arley Hall

All 4 reasons would probably apply in my case. Also, I think it's easier to walk if you are a very service-orientated punter. She promised service x on the phone and now, it seems, she won't deliver it. The problem for me is that I have no particular agenda service-wise so the only reason I would be walking is that I don't like the look of the girl. That's harder to explain/justify to the girl - especially if she's otherwise quite pleasant. Also there's the feeling that she may try harder to give a good service to compensate for shortcomings in the looks department - so why not give it a go?

Now that I'm a member of UKP another factor comes into play. I'm thinking to myself: "Well at least, if it all goes pear-shaped, I can write a negative report on there and enhance my credibility as a reviewer!"

JV547845

When it comes to walking before you've seen the girl, because of tardiness or shit comms, there's your own experience too, and their reputation. 

I've been kept waiting a number of times, on which the punts were all totally worth it.  Sometimes I've been late too.  If only I could remember the times I've been kept waiting and it was shit... 

It's always a gut instinct call, and down to chance, so you need to do your homework.

Offline AnthG

I think there is a 5 and 6  that the OP didn't cover.

5. The opportunity doesn't present itself to say anything to leave.

6. Not knowing what to say.

In my punting career I have had one punt where the girl really was not in anyway what I wanted to the extent that I didn't want to go through with the punt with her and was thus in that room wanting to leave.

But that was it. I was in the room. She was all making small talk for things to get started and I was in my own mind, it racing a million milles a minute, thinking "what do I say to get out of it, should I say this, or that or what, how do I initiate this". It was a massive flight or fight response type thing and I froze.

In the end I couldn't think of anything and went through with the punt...And hated it.
Banned reason: To much drama, account closed
Banned by: Iloveoral

Offline Turtle Z

Perhaps, which is why you have to have the, "Oh, I've left my wallet in the car" story ready. I have a variation on this, which is hopefully more credible. You present your own opportunity to leave.

Offline smiths

Then there is

4. Due to taking so many steps to complete a punt (or behaviour) it then becomes hard to pull out (excuse the pun by changing the behaviour and or attitude that justifies the completion of a particular action ie the  punt).

Thus with regard to 4, as long as a person see his steps as separate as opposed to one integrated action he should be able to walk away from a punt.

I don't find it hard to walk from a punt nowadays, in fact its easy and I do so quickly to ensure I get to the safety asap, then ring my plan B option, usually a regular. None of your 4 are relevant to me now.

Offline Turtle Z

I don't find it hard to walk from a punt nowadays, in fact its easy and I do so quickly to ensure I get to the safety asap, then ring my plan B option, usually a regular. None of your 4 are relevant to me now.

There you go, then you have seasoned punters who really don't give a fuck about causing offence and don't need an excuse to walk. I think it's a problem more common with inexperienced punters.

Offline smiths

In my punting career I have had one punt where the girl really was not in anyway what I wanted to the extent that I didn't want to go through with the punt with her and was thus in that room wanting to leave.

But that was it. I was in the room. She was all making small talk for things to get started and I was in my own mind, it racing a million milles a minute, thinking "what do I say to get out of it, should I say this, or that or what, how do I initiate this". It was a massive flight or fight response type thing and I froze.

In the end I couldn't think of anything and went through with the punt...And hated it.

Your 5 and 6 don't apply to me either nowadays, I just walk if I am not 100% happy with the WG, I always have the opportunity to walk at any time. I don't need to say anything, its the WG who has said something that has put me off punting with her or her general miserable look and/or attitude, or I don't fancy the real her in comparison to her pics.

Offline smiths

There you go, then you have seasoned punters who really don't give a fuck about causing offence and don't need an excuse to walk. I think it's a problem more common with inexperienced punters.

It took me years of not walking to get to this point though, in the days before the net finding an alternative the same day wasn't as easy as it is today for me, so I mainly stayed whatever, nowadays I always have a plan B if plan A goes tits up and as I have a zero tolerance policy now I have walked many times in the last few years. Everything has to be perfect or as near as for me to stay, sure I have even then punted and paid a very small number of bad or poor WGs, but mainly my negatives are bad comms or the WG being a liar/bad attitude/not looking like her pics so I walked costing me nothing except travel costs and her wasting my time.

I most certainly don't give a fuck about causing offence, its the WG who is at fault for being a liar, having a bad attitude or whatever which has led me to walk. My advice to punters who may want to walk but don't is grow a backbone and realise why should you pay and go through with a punt you don't really want to. I have had verbal abuse from WGs on occasion as I was leaving and I thought one was going to hit me but she didn't, so making a quick getaway is my goal, once safe I smile and think yep that was a good decision, then ring my plan B.

Offline Turtle Z

I most certainly don't give a fuck about causing offence, its the WG who is at fault for being a liar, having a bad attitude or whatever which has led me to walk. My advice to punters who may want to walk but don't is grow a backbone and realise why should you pay and go through with a punt you don't really want to.

Sound advice!  :drinks:

Offline Billy no mates

It took me years of not walking to get to this point though, in the days before the net finding an alternative the same day wasn't as easy as it is today for me, so I mainly stayed whatever, nowadays I always have a plan B if plan A goes tits up and as I have a zero tolerance policy now I have walked many times in the last few years. Everything has to be perfect or as near as for me to stay, sure I have even then punted and paid a very small number of bad or poor WGs, but mainly my negatives are bad comms or the WG being a liar/bad attitude/not looking like her pics so I walked costing me nothing except travel costs and her wasting my time.

I most certainly don't give a fuck about causing offence, its the WG who is at fault for being a liar, having a bad attitude or whatever which has led me to walk. My advice to punters who may want to walk but don't is grow a backbone and realise why should you pay and go through with a punt you don't really want to. I have had verbal abuse from WGs on occasion as I was leaving and I thought one was going to hit me but she didn't, so making a quick getaway is my goal, once safe I smile and think yep that was a good decision, then ring my plan B.

I agree with this, wether its my beligerence because of my age, or just ease of arranging another punt if I want, I have found over the last couple of years it far easier to walk.

JV547845

Everything has to be perfect or as near as for me to stay,

How do you still manage your expectations?  Or go through with any punt at all?  I just go in with the attitude that I'll be cool and have fun, but try to listen to my spidey sense at the same time

justfornow

It's much easier after you do it once.
Always be prepared to walk if you're booking a girl that's unknown to you.

For any average guy it's a rare and very specific thing to walk out on a woman you were about pay to fuck :D
You left your wallet in the car or she's not what you expected say anything you want and go.
When I walked the first time it was wg that asked me if I was ok. I think she could tell I was displeased by my face. I told her she's not what I expected and I left.

You're paying a lot of money. She should look as advertised or as close as possible and she should offer what she says she offers. That's it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:59:43 am by justfornow »

Offline smiths

I agree with this, wether its my beligerence because of my age, or just ease of arranging another punt if I want, I have found over the last couple of years it far easier to walk.

I am glad to hear this and if more punters walked when they weren't happy they would be getting better punts of course. The concept of punting with someone anyway who I didn't want to is an alien one to me now.

Offline smiths

How do you still manage your expectations?  Or go through with any punt at all?  I just go in with the attitude that I'll be cool and have fun, but try to listen to my spidey sense at the same time

I go on my gut feeling which is more often right than not, not foolproof but it has served me well over the years. Unlike you with a newbie WG to me I go in suspicious and ready to walk, its for her to show me she is good and many do, some don't. As soon as its punt on I relax and have fun, if I didn't I certainly wouldn't still be punting.

I also have UKP which helps and punters I know who give my recs which greatly help and are always appreciated, but sometimes I am prepared to take a risk in search of a gem.

Offline Horizontal pleasures

If you paid and THEN decide to walk that is tough.

If there are other people in the flat (especially men) you may be outnumbered.

Ben4454

I think it also has something to do with emotional investment. The more we emotionally invest in a event the more we are likely to go through with it. You have searched adultwork, you have done the research and done steps in order for this meet to take place. When you get there that emotional investment you have inputted can be enough to tip the scales. Although this is a tiny one i think not wanting to cause offence is one of the biggest factors. Laziness to find another punt after inputting so much energy is also a factor.

In psychological principles when we publically commit to a verbal contract we are most likely to go through with it in order for our actions to be in calibration with our thoughts. The Chinese used these principles to attempt to brainwash American prisoners of war. They would have them write essays on why Communism was superior. Eventually the American soldiers actually began thinking that Communism was superior. Psychologists have found out that if these commitments are made 'public' then these committments are more likely to be gone through with.

It could be like buying a new car. You go through the emotional investment of selecting new car. You travel 200 miles to it. You have entered into a contract with the other person. You find out the price has increased by £50. You think fuck it i have come this far and buy it anyway.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 12:15:16 pm by Ben4454 »

Offline EL1M1N8OR

Then there is

Think the psychology used, is the same as what politicians use meeeting people in person.  The commitment and consistency principle.

Offline smiths

If there are other people in the flat (especially men) you may be outnumbered.

Yes that's a real pain but I have and would still walk now as I wouldn't be able to or want to punt with a bad WG, I just want to leave asap. Its rare I don't hear men in a premises who shouldn't be their as the WG was supposed to be an Indie after I have paid, I usually hear them straight away and walk.

Fortunately there are less than 6 punts I can recall in the last few years where I have paid and then walked, I have punted and not had a good punt as well a few times, but in the main its been walking without having paid anything to the WG.

Offline smiths

I think it also has something to do with emotional investment. The more we emotionally invest in a event the more we are likely to go through with it. You have searched adultwork, you have done the research and done steps in order for this meet to take place. When you get there that emotional investment you have inputted can be enough to tip the scales. Although this is a tiny one i think not wanting to cause offence is one of the biggest factors. Laziness to find another punt after inputting so much energy is also a factor.

In psychological principles when we publically commit to a verbal contract we are most likely to go through with it in order for our actions to be in calibration with our thoughts. The Chinese used these principles to attempt to brainwash American prisoners of war. They would have them write essays on why Communism was superior. Eventually the American soldiers actually began thinking that Communism was superior. Psychologists have found out that if these commitments are made 'public' then these committments are more likely to be gone through with.

It could be like buying a new car. You go through the emotional investment of selecting new car. You travel 200 miles to it. You have entered into a contract with the other person. You find out the price has increased by £50. You think fuck it i have come this far and buy it anyway.

With me I am not 100% with 1 specific WG or I don't bother punting so my investment is to punt on the day but it can be with my plan B if I walk from plan A. For ME this makes it much easier to walk as I know a good punt awaits with the regular.

I know your car example was just that but I wouldn't travel 200 miles in the first place as I wouldn't anymore to punt, my max being about a 60 mile round trip. I am usually in the WGs area anyway on other business though they wont know this when I punt so that means I don't incur a travel cost I wasn't going to incur anyway, except if I have to pay to park of course. Being pragmatic is a great advantage in punting in my opinion.

mikexxlong

If the pro$$ie has a bad attitude or the situation feels unsafe, it’s a lot easier to walk (providing money hasn’t changed hands) as self-preservation or distain towards the pro$$ie compels you to walk

On the other hand if the pro$$ie doesn’t meet your expectations etc., but they are friendly & welcoming it makes it harder to walk

But as we all know little head can override big head and go through with a punt, even though we know we should have walked
And of course who wants potential confrontation, someone calling you names, timewaster etc.,
and bad feedback if booked via AW and so on, so most will just plough on with the punt regardless.

Offline Johnbean

Number 3 is my Achilles heel. If that guy says stay, I'm like a dog in heat and only regret it afterwards.  :rolleyes:

inxs950

All 4 reasons would probably apply in my case. Also, I think it's easier to walk if you are a very service-orientated punter. She promised service x on the phone and now, it seems, she won't deliver it. The problem for me is that I have no particular agenda service-wise so the only reason I would be walking is that I don't like the look of the girl. That's harder to explain/justify to the girl - especially if she's otherwise quite pleasant. Also there's the feeling that she may try harder to give a good service to compensate for shortcomings in the looks department - so why not give it a go?

Now that I'm a member of UKP another factor comes into play. I'm thinking to myself: "Well at least, if it all goes pear-shaped, I can write a negative report on there and enhance my credibility as a reviewer!"
+1

Offline peter purves

I am not so sure this is true. I think if one is 'assertive' (for want of a better term) in everyday life then one will also be that way during the punting experience and vice versa. So I am guessing that someone like Smiths should also also have a similar attitude with going to restaurants or any other such service providers?

Do you Smiths?

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:42:02 pm by peter purves »

Arley Hall

I think if one is 'assertive' (for want of a better term) in everyday life then one will also be that way during the punting experience and vice versa.

The concept of 'assertiveness' is an interesting one because, if you think about it, everybody is equally assertive - if being assertive simply means doing what suits you. If somebody gives you advice on how to be more 'assertive' and you follow it then you're doing what they told you to do and not what your own gut instinct tells you to do - so that's the opposite of being assertive, isn't it? It's a bit of a paradox!

My own take on it is that if somebody feels strongly enough about something they will naturally be 'assertive' without having to make a special effort. If they're not 'assertive' it's probably because they simply don't feel strongly enough about it, or maybe they can see both sides of the issue and don't feel 100% sure that a particular course of action is right. I personally wouldn't try to override that uncertainty because it's part of who I am. Having said that, if I did try to override it that would also be a valid expression of who I am!

My impression of a lot of so-called assertiveness training is that somebody is trying to get you to care about something that they think is important, but which you don't actually care about that much. Either that or you care about lots of different things which conflict with each other - so you decide to hold back for that reason.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:37:58 pm by Arley Hall »

Offline smiths

I am not so sure this is true. I think if one is 'assertive' (for want of a better term) in everyday life then one will also be that way during the punting experience and vice versa. So I am guessing that someone like Smiths should also also have a similar attitude with going to restaurants or any other such service providers?

Do you Smiths?

I expect good service whoever I am paying and will complain if I don't get it.

Offline GreyDave

:hi: For the lucky ones of us who are near or in Cities which have known areas like London's Soho, Shepard's market and the phone box cards...
walking is easy to learn as the choice is there but the plan book drive/travel punter is throwing a lot into it before actually seeing and being able to make the choice.

Many years ago I ventured into the basement of Miss Whiplash in Earls court.. I had taken day off work travelled up to London made plans ect when I walked down steps I was met by maid and then Miss W came out from backroom "no luv your too young I don't do young en`s " I was quite relived cause when I saw her I wanted to walk  :scare: I wish some of the WG`s would say that to me now (the bit about too young) :cool: :cool: I think I would at the time of found it difficult to walk as Id put so much in to planning like many of us do ..as it happened she made that easy.. she chucked me out ..
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:56:31 pm by GreyDave »

Offline David1970

I have a saying" when in doubt walk out "
I have walked lots of times, it's my money my choice.
Hate bait and switch, or miss leading description, or a bad attitude.

Offline peter purves

The concept of 'assertiveness' is an interesting one because, if you think about it, everybody is equally assertive - if being assertive simply means doing what suits you. If somebody gives you advice on how to be more 'assertive' and you follow it then you're doing what they told you to do and not what your own gut instinct tells you to do - so that's the opposite of being assertive, isn't it? It's a bit of a paradox!

My own take on it is that if somebody feels strongly enough about something they will naturally be 'assertive' without having to make a special effort. If they're not 'assertive' it's probably because they simply don't feel strongly enough about it, or maybe they can see both sides of the issue and don't feel 100% sure that a particular course of action is right. I personally wouldn't try to override that uncertainty because it's part of who I am. Having said that, if I did try to override it that would also be a valid expression of who I am!

My impression of a lot of so-called assertiveness training is that somebody is trying to get you to care about something that they think is important, but which you don't actually care about that much. Either that or you care about lots of different things which conflict with each other - so you decide to hold back for that reason.

Arley,

This is a very interesting slant on assertiveness but I think assertiveness in the punting situation must mean the punter walking if this is what he actually wants to do rather than go through with a punt that he does not want to do or feels very uncomfortable about.

Arley Hall

Arley,

This is a very interesting slant on assertiveness but I think assertiveness in the punting situation must mean the punter walking if this is what he actually wants to do rather than go through with a punt that he does not want to do or feels very uncomfortable about.

Yes - fair enough. I guess I was just musing about it in a rather general philosophical way - and maybe that's not really appropriate here on a punting board. If somebody 'wants' to walk and they don't, then did they really want to? If they really wanted to, then they would ..... etc etc. I'm in danger of disappearing up my own arse, I know!

Offline fairfield

+100

Sorry, guys i suspect all the assertiveness and clever ideas in the world will be no help if the skanky pro$$ie has already stashed your cash.
Since the WG will know in advance that she is going to deliberately withdraw services / provide shit service then she will also be fully prepared to deny a refund.
I would have walked in almost 50% of my punts if there had been any chance of my money back.
Walking without the money would only have compounded my humiliation.  Why give the WG the extra satisfaction?

Offline Turtle Z

Do you Smiths?

So given that we accept that punters have different ranges of innate assertiveness you rule out punting experience as having any bearing on the issue... Really?

Offline smiths

+100

Sorry, guys i suspect all the assertiveness and clever ideas in the world will be no help if the skanky pro$$ie has already stashed your cash.
Since the WG will know in advance that she is going to deliberately withdraw services / provide shit service then she will also be fully prepared to deny a refund.
I would have walked in almost 50% of my punts if there had been any chance of my money back.
Walking without the money would only have compounded my humiliation.  Why give the WG the extra satisfaction?

The why is because I don't wish to be in the same room let alone punting with such a WG, I want to leave asap and go book my plan B. Unlike you this scenario is rare for me nowadays, if it was almost 50% of my punts I would of stopped punting years ago due to it being a waste of my cash.

Offline fairfield

The why is because I don't wish to be in the same room let alone punting with such a WG, I want to leave asap and go book my plan B. Unlike you this scenario is rare for me nowadays, if it was almost 50% of my punts I would of stopped punting years ago due to it being a waste of my cash.
Isn't punting like being on a roller coaster ride?  The highs and the lows come together?
If you've paid to ride the big dipper, how can you 'walk' just because the cars are at the bottom of the track?

Offline fairfield

Isn't punting like being on a roller coaster ride?  The highs and the lows come together?
If you've paid to ride the big dipper, how can you 'walk' just because the cars are at the bottom of the track?
(srry, just noticed only half my post loaded, - like my punts!)
....but personally have found the punting 'lows' can be as adrenaline pumping as the highs. Walking is just not an option.

ofc in those tender moments before you hand over the cash, the WG whispers in your ear -
 - i'm too tight for sex, or i've had too many punts already and can't bear to look at another man's face today, or i'm gonna turn into a zombie as soon as your kit is off, or i' m gonna repeatedly interrupt your time to check my other bookings, etc etc

then assertiveness or escape tactics are surely not neeeded , walking is just automatic, doing both parties a favour?

vw

Same psychology that stops people walking away from anything they have invested time in

Failing business
Failing relationship
Failing punt

Being honest with yourself requires time and by that point you are past the point of no return and paid already

Offline largecock1234567

Have walked a few times using The line of left the money in the car...The one time as she was not the girl in the profile and looked on smack!!.....  she shut the door behind me and when I used the line she shouted "stretch"  :scare: :scare: Big black guy 6ft 6 easy..... came bombing through!!! I thought i was going to get a pasting or killed!! she told him..... He then calmed down as I said look I will go to the bank and get the cash no problem, I then had to drive him to a local shop he knew and pulled the money...(yes I really had the cash in my back pocket). He told me in the car he needs to change the pics on the profile because his girl is inside. we went in the shop he grabbed a can of cider and some comdoms. and we drove back. I then had to go inside with him because I had used the line I forgot the money (prob both knowing not the case) i went back into the room where she started to take my trousers off for oral... :scare: :scare: :vomit: Thought I'm not letting her near him!!! so I said can i just fuck you please..... she could tell I didn't want to be there and shitting myself.... she said.... o just go!!!! I cut my losses and went!!!.
This wasn't a cheap punt quickie for 50 and had 4 reviews in 1 month been on there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 06:40:39 am by largecock1234567 »

Offline smiths

I explained why I walk, I go see a WG who I know will offer a good service instead of staying with some piece of scum who has fucked me over, but as I said unlike yourself me paying and then not being happy with the punt is nowhere near your almost 50% of the time.

Offline Billy no mates

Have walked a few times using The line of left the money in the car...The one time as she was not the girl in the profile and looked on smack!!.....  she shut the door behind me and when I used the line she shouted "stretch"  :scare: :scare: Big black guy 6ft 6 easy..... came bombing through!!! I thought i was going to get a pasting or killed!! she told him..... He then calmed down as I said look I will go to the bank and get the cash no problem, I then had to drive him to a local shop he knew and pulled the money...(yes I really had the cash in my back pocket). He told me in the car he needs to change the pics on the profile because his girl is inside. we went in the shop he grabbed a can of cider and some comdoms. and we drove back. I then had to go inside with him because I had used the line I forgot the money (prob both knowing not the case) i went back into the room where she started to take my trousers off for oral... :scare: :scare: :vomit: Thought I'm not letting her near him!!! so I said can i just fuck you please..... she could tell I didn't want to be there and shitting myself.... she said.... o just go!!!! I cut my losses and went!!!.
This wasn't a cheap punt quickie for 50 and had 4 reviews in 1 month been on there.

Link would be helpful to save others

Offline largecock1234567

I reported the profile when I got home then disappeared.... I would have done it on here also but at the time I wasn't a member. it was about 3 years ago.

bod666

I walked once from a Romanian wg and just said I'd changed my mind. I felt great about it after as I knew I'd saved myself from yet another terrible rom experience. This was at the same hotel where I'd previously had my two all time worst punts (with Romanians) so I knew walking was the best option.

Now I've done it once I'd be quite happy to do it again.

Offline David1970

I find if you cut out the indicators of a bad punt when you search on Adultworks it helps.
I always put in exclude Romanians and add those who dislike bareback in to my search.
Cuts out bait and switch Gypos and those who just tick every thing on the like list.
The most important thing is be prepared to walk, it's your choice your money.

TheNewSeeker

Same as 1 and 2 if you think about it. Plenty of opportunity unless you're too shy.

TheNewSeeker

My advice to punters who may want to walk but don't is grow a backbone and realise why should you pay and go through with a punt you don't really want to. I have had verbal abuse from WGs on occasion as I was leaving and I thought one was going to hit me but she didn't, so making a quick getaway is my goal, once safe I smile and think yep that was a good decision, then ring my plan B.

Sound advice. Only with experience you know what you really want from a punt and get that strong feeling you're just not going to get it. Learn to walk chaps; just like punting is easier after your first one you'll find walking easier too.

Offline SamLP

I find giving a reason makes it easier to walk. Been in many situations where the WG lied about services or was faced with a B&S. I just question them and ask them why they wasted my time when I made all my points clear on the phone. They usually shrug & say sorry, and I tell them I'm leaving. Had it a few times with girls with a bad attitude too.

Having said that there are times when I've let myself down and gone through with a punt when my head was telling me to leave. Either I was bursting for release, had fancied the girl and wanted to fuck her regardless or had one of those moments where I convinced myself she would come good during the punt which in fact has happened many times, however, the bad have been much more than the good.