1) Most international flights now go through Suvarnabhumi airport ---------- not Don Mueng.
2) Yes, there are plenty of cabs at the airport but you have to queue up, negotiate the fare and explain where in Pattaya you are staying.
3) Newbies often get caught out by the girls with clipboards who ask if you need a taxi ----------- that is a "limousine" service that will cost much more.
1) I was flying in from Phnom Phen after 10 days in Cambodia, Air Asia use Don Muang, but agree that international flights go through Suvarnabhumi.
2) I found the system for getting a cab fairly straight forward, was the same at all airports I passed through in SE Asia.
3) I was a newbie and managed not to get mugged off and book a Limo, I did ask a couple of them what it would cost to get to Pattaya (2k baht inc tolls from Don Muang), but realised that a proer taxi would be cheaper.
Good value for Taxi's in Asia, 2 hour drive for under £40 inc tolls, split with a mate to get to Pattaya. The guy driving was not hanging about though, but slightly mental driving was also a theme to my time in the region.
I'd go back to Thailand tomorrow if I could, but I'd miss Pattaya if I returned as the place just wasn't for me.