Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: The Florey, Reading - Walk-in GUM clinic (NHS)  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Cunning Punt

Despite punting for a few years now, I'm ashamed to say that I did not start getting tested for STIs until relatively recently.
I guess it is a mixture of laziness and complacency, bearing in mind that I never really had any symptoms, I don't do bareback with anybody and occasionally have OWO/CIM.

However, it's best to be safe than sorry, all round.

Tests
There are some real scare stories elsewhere on here.
Firstly, that they scrape the inside of your mouth for a sample.
Secondly - and more disturbingly - that a swab is inserted into your Jap's Eye.

Neither of these are involved in the standard tests for basic STIs that I had, which involved:
- Urine sample. You go to a toilet to fill a tube, making sure you get the initial burst. NB Don't go for a piss at least 2 hours before the test because signs of gonorrhea can be temporarily washed away.
- Blood test
- Collecting saliva at the back of your mouth using a long cotton wool bud.

These test you for:
- Gonorrhea
- Clamydia
- HIV
- Syphillis

I guess whether they test for anything else depends on any symptoms - and people being honest about them.

Results take 10-14 days to be done, usually by text, though up to you. If clear, it says all results are clear and that's from RBH health advisers.

Personally, I abstain from sex for 2 weeks before tests, to allow any symptoms to show up, though it can longer in theory, for a STI to be detectable.
Plus, I also abstain from sex until I get my results.
It may be a month without sex, but I prefer to be cautious. Each to their own.
They say - obviously - you shouldn't have unprotected sex while you are waiting for tests and, bearing in mind STIs can be passed through unprotected oral, that 's worth taking into consideration.

If you have sex with "sex workers", as the staff describe then, then they will give you a double Hepatitis injection - Hepatitis B because you go with sex workers and Hepatitis A if you go down on them, according to one doctor I saw. You need to get these done again after a month, yet again after another month, and a final dose a year after the first. They will then test to see if the vaccine has been accepted by your body.

Staff:
Generally friendly and non judgmental, though they are fairly busy, so they can seem fairly brusque at times. One nurse was practically throwing free condoms at me.
Others don't, but it's the sort of place, if you ask them, I'm sure they will give some to you.
Reception staff are brusque but fine.

Reading's NHS GUM clinic is run by the Royal Berks Hospital at 21a Craven Road. Entrance is on the other side of this road from the main entrance to the RBH, but not right opposite so fairly discreet. There aren't many people walking up and down and it's a bit out of the way.
It's based in the same centre as family planning and breast screening, so not just people going there to get STI tests.
There is paid-for parking at the main part of the Royal Berks, but there is free on-street parking in Erleigh Road round the corner, for 2 hours, which should be long enough.

There is a TV on and some, rather uninteresting magazines (no Razzle, I'm afraid!). I do find it funny seeing other people all there purely because they have sex and thinking about who they've been shagging (I know, but it fills the time).
There are occasionally a couple of nice girls (is it wrong to chat up a girl at a GUM clinic?) but we all keep ourselves to ourselves.

Procedure:
The Florey is open 6 days a week, 7am-7pm Mon-Fri and 9.30-11.30am Saturday.
There is the odd hour when it's only for certain groups, but check with the website.
You can make an appointment, though it is a walk-in service. You usually wait no more than 1hr, though Mondays are very busy.
(Probably all those teenagers shitting themselves after their weekend drunken antics! :D)
Even Saturday was not too all that busy, but the doctor was very rushed and did not take saliva swab, though did have a good check of my genitalia.

When you go in to reception, you fill out a form, giving your contact details, any symptoms and brief 'yes' and 'no' about recent sexual history.

Privacy:
Because I am single and am not very good at subterfuge, I give them my real name, address and phone number, but you may wish to consider the following precautions particularly if you have a partner. They need details to contact you and get money from the Government.
- Give them your first name and age (makes it easier and age can be relevant) but not your surname
- A false address (there are false ones suggested on the internet). They text, rather than write to you, if you select this, but it might be a case of being safer than sorry if you don't want the missus picking up a letter from the RBH on the doorstep.
- Your punting phone number.

Would I return?
Well, yes, because I punt with 'sex workers' and it's the responsible thing to do. If you haven't got yourself tested so far, I urge you to do so.

Link:
External Link/Members Only
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 09:45:20 pm by Cunning Punt »

Zowieberg

Thanks Buddy, Very useful info

Offline berksboy

Having been there all that OP says is right .And some of the girls you see there are hot as !

Offline thekman100

Thanks for the post. Very reassuring.

I had the Japs Eye treatment many years ago, only as my cheating bitch of a GF had just contracted Herpes.

It has always put me off getting a check up but I really should now I've read this.

Not majorly keen on the Hep jabs though. Any side effects?

Offline MrMatrix

I've been twice this year. End of January having had a lay off of 4 month from WG's thought any issues would be through by now and HIV takes 2 months to surface and be identifiable at clinic. I note that the text message came through as from " NHS no reply" as it had done previously ( I go for checks regularly twice a year, even though i dont do OWO). However the check I had in May came through as from "SMS" . I believe this stands for "Surrey or Sussex Medical Sevices" as the NHS lost the contract to provide the texting service to those being tested. So when I showed my next WG that I had a recent test she wasn't sure about the SMS, even though it gave same info that all was clear, just as I had in January. Lucky for me I still had Januarys on my mobile.

So I take it that any one getting a reply is getting it from their local county services as rather than the NHS, which every one is use to. Am I right in thinking this?

As CP says its an anonomous process and the staff are very very good and professional. Some bigger locations will also provide a counselling service. They will counsel on relationships, a crisis of conscience say if you are in a sexless relationship with a regular partner and other relavent issues (I'm told there can be a bit of a wait due to limited rescources).

IMO any one indulging in any form of unprotected sex and that includes OWO and DFK should go and get a health check. Just not worth doing otherwise really.  :drinks:

Offline Cunning Punt

Thanks for the post. Very reassuring.
I had the Japs Eye treatment many years ago, only as my cheating bitch of a GF had just contracted Herpes.
It has always put me off getting a check up but I really should now I've read this.
Not majorly keen on the Hep jabs though. Any side effects?

You feel the Hepatitis jabs but wouldn't say they hurt and no side effects for me.

Re Jap's Eye test, as I made clear in the review, the routine tests given were purely for the four conditions, ie syphilis, gonorrhoea, chlamydia and HIV.
They do not include a test for Herpes in these, presumably because it costs money to do the tests, you usually get sores/symptoms and they rely on you to tell them.

Seems taking a swab of a blister is first test for Herpes. Think they only put a swab into your Jap's Eye if you have problems with your urethra, which may or not be caused by an STI.
But I stress that I'm not a doctor. Best check with them.

Offline Cunning Punt

HIV takes 2 months to surface and be identifiable at clinic."

Yes, it can do, which is why one should have regular tests.

So I take it that any one getting a reply is getting it from their local county services as rather than the NHS, which every one is use to. Am I right in thinking this?

No idea. Mine for Reading said RBBH, which stands for Royal Berks and Battle Hospitals, ie the hospital trust itself.

IMO any one indulging in any form of unprotected sex and that includes OWO and DFK should go and get a health check. Just not worth doing otherwise really.  :drinks:

+1

Offline 8a8ylon

Out of interest why is a review being done for a GUM clinic   :cry: :unknown:

If this is a trend starting my next review is my local

Offline Cunning Punt

Out of interest why is a review being done for a GUM clinic   :cry: :unknown:

If this is a trend starting my next review is my local

There's always one...

Use of GUM clinics is directly relevant to our hobby and IMO it lends itself better to a review, as opposed to just posting it on the regional board, because it is precisely that - a review of services. There have been reviews of other GUM clinics on here elsewhere in the country.

While you took exception to it, no-one forced you to read it or to comment. As one can see, some found it useful.

Offline thekman100

For me this has been a very useful 'review'. I rarely go into the 'discussion' section.

Too busy looking for another treat.  :blush:

I thank the OP.

ps ref my swab. It was about 10 years ago and thankfully all clear. I'm actually shocked this was my last test. but until now, I sort of assumed it would happen again.

Offline licky

I note that the text message came through as from " NHS no reply" as it had done previously ( I go for checks regularly twice a year, even though i dont do OWO). However the check I had in May came through as from "SMS" .So I take it that any one getting a reply is getting it from their local county services as rather than the NHS, which every one is use to. Am I right in thinking this?

My January "all clear" text came through from the usual 88020 number.
I thought it a little strange when my recent test from the same hospital came from a standard mobile number rather than the usual 88020, so perhaps the service has changed

Offline royal_male

Really useful. I get tested regularly as well.

Cheers Cunning Punt.

KenniLingus