OK, so had a 1 hour outcall with Cheryl from Amour lined up for 7:00 tonight. I'd emailed them on Monday and they emailed straight back to say yes, and could I confirm before today at 10:00am.
So on Wednesday afternoon about 4:00, I emailed back and very specifically said I wanted to confirm the booking and also asked for a particular costume. I then got a reply to this which said yeah, no problem, she'll tell her to bring it if she has one.
Now it gets to 7:00 tonight and no show. Then 10 past, so I ring up. I get told she's on her way and if I'm the 7-9 booking. That should have set alarm bells ringing. Anyway, another half hour goes by and still no show, so I email again.
I now get told that because I hadn't confirmed on Thursday morning, they didn't book me in. The lady who I spoke to said she'd been forwarded copies of the email conversation I had with Stacey(?) and there was nothing there to confirm the booking which I obviously disagree with. She then said I'd be best off ringing her tomorrow to sort this out.
So basically...am I in the wrong here? Should I have taken their request very literally and waited till Thursday morning before booking? I'm a reasonable guy, so I'm not going to ring up ranting and raving about it. If I'm in the wrong, I'll happily say so.
Just wondered if I made a rookie error here, or if the mistake is on their part.