Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Family thrown off flight due to peanut allergy  (Read 838 times)

Offline Blackpool Rock

This was just on the news about a family who were thrown off a flight before take off, apparently the daughter has a nut allergy and the parents went to the front row and asked people not to eat nuts and to pass the message back which they did after the crew wouldn't make the announcement, the Turkish pilot wasn't happy and had them removed.
There then appears to be 2 different stories about how things were handled and whether or not the dad got irate with the cabin crew but I guess we will never know the exact events surrounding what happened

I've been on a flight where a message has been given out saying they wouldn't be selling nuts, it did piss someone off sat in the next row who chuntered a bit but I guess it's not the end of the world whereas nut allergies can easily be fatal.

I am slightly conflated about this though as i'd expect (If they had pre warned the airline) that no meals would contain nuts however at the end of the day what's the issue with other people eating nuts  :unknown:
The TV news article and the attached article state that someone else eating a nut on the flight could trigger the allergy however that seems extreme so i've Googled it and can't find any evidence that this is possible.
Happy to be corrected but what i've found says the problem is with a protein in nuts and it's not airborne or carried by the odour of nuts, cooking or grinding them etc can be an issue but not just someone eating a pack of them
I can see there may also be a theoretical issue if for instance someone eats nuts and has nut oil / residue on their hand and touches hand holds / seats etc transferring the allergen onto a surface however surely the same is true of all the previous flights until the last time every surface was 100% fully cleaned which lets face it probably never happens  :unknown:

Personally if I had a severe food allergy i'd be exceptionally wary of eating anything outside of my own home that I hadn't prepared myself from the base ingredients so I knew exactly what was in it and these things are often hidden in foods and you'd never suspect they were in there

I do have sympathy for anyone with a food allergy however is it overkill to stop everyone else from eating nuts on a plane when I don't actually think there is a direct danger to them  :unknown:

External Link/Members Only.

External Link/Members Only

Offline Squire Haggard

It looks like there could be a risk if someone was eating them on a plane.

''If you're allergic to peanuts, simply picking up their scent won't cause an allergic reaction. But there is a catch: If the air you sniff contains peanut dust, it might.1

Luckily, and contrary to popular belief, small peanut particles like this are not typically airborne.2 However, they can make their way into a whiff in certain circumstances.''

Offline radioman33

The pilot ordered the family to get off maybe because they were kicking off telling others to stop eating nuts around us and could see a row starting is how I’m seeing it.

Offline Munter84

It strikes me as an indemnity thing, and even putting the family's safety first although they may not appreciate it. If the peanut allergy is so severe that even airborne molecules will trigger it, this flight is not the right one for them. Asking other passengers to refrain from opening packets and to pass the message on is completely inadequate as a precaution (putting my health and safety hat on for a minute!). The airline is also opening themselves up to a lawsuit or massive reputational damage should the worst happen - "kid dies on [airline]" is terrible PR - so pissing the family off by refusing them is the lesser of two evils.

Just in principle I think it's unreasonable to outsource your medical or dietary issues to other people. Take responsibility. What's next, a vegan who is so upset at the sight of meat that they "need" the rest of the flight to only order veggie food? A teetotaler who insists no alcohol be served? Somebody who forgot ear plugs and an eye mask and tells everyone else to sit in silence so they can sleep? Bugger off!

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
What's next, a vegan who is so upset at the sight of meat that they "need" the rest of the flight to only order veggie food? A teetotaler who insists no alcohol be served? Somebody who forgot ear plugs and an eye mask and tells everyone else to sit in silence so they can sleep? Bugger off!
A nut allergy is not something people choose and is something that can kill, nobody is going to die in any of the other circumstances you describe. Not forgetting in the report they mentioned another person who had died on a flight due to the same sort of allergy.

As the pilot couldn't guarantee an allergen free environment the safest thig to do was remove them from the flight.

Offline timsussex

Agreed its a different level entirely to vegans etc but isnt it unreasonable to book a ticket expecting the rest of the plane to comply ?  Especially on a holiday flight were the odd passenger (after a few bevvies) may not be sympathetic
Also if the flight before had served peanuts could there be residue ?  turn around times can be tight

on the other hand if you do have a kid with an allergy what do you do ?

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
Agreed its a different level entirely to vegans etc but isnt it unreasonable to book a ticket expecting the rest of the plane to comply ?  Especially on a holiday flight were the odd passenger (after a few bevvies) may not be sympathetic
Also if the flight before had served peanuts could there be residue ?  turn around times can be tight

on the other hand if you do have a kid with an allergy what do you do ?
They were saying in the report I saw that if you have a nut allergy you should make it known when booking and remind the airline at every stage. They also said, unlike this Turkish one, the popular airlines that are most used in the UK will do something about it including not having nuts onboard and making an announcement asking people not to eat nuts.

Online RadioKid

I would have though most common allergens would be restricted on public flights.

If not for empathy, but for liability reasons. Especially milk, eggs, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans.

Offline Blackpool Rock

I would have though most common allergens would be restricted on public flights.

If not for empathy, but for liability reasons. Especially milk, eggs, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans.
I've never heard these announcements on any public transport including the London Underground when I used to visit customers in London fairly regularly.
Wonder how these people cope with using basically any shared space and let's face it on the underground you can be packed in like sardines whereas on a plane you have your own seat and space etc

Why does there appear to be such a distinction when it comes to air transport  :unknown:

Online mr.bluesky

I've never heard these announcements on any public transport including the London Underground when I used to visit customers in London fairly regularly.
Wonder how these people cope with using basically any shared space and let's face it on the underground you can be packed in like sardines whereas on a plane you have your own seat and space etc

Why does there appear to be such a distinction when it comes to air transport  :unknown:

The problem with aircraft is the air inside the cabin is re circulated and although only 10% to 50% is filtered it might not be enough for very fine airborne particles. It seems a bit extreme to expect passengers to refrain from eating nuts although to be honest it's about the only food on a flight that actually has any taste

Offline David1970

“ Due to the insistent behaviour of the passenger to others on board that they should not consume nuts, the captain decided it would be safest if the family did not travel on our flight.
When this was explained to the passenger, he exhibited aggressive behaviour towards our crew members, and tried to gain access to the cockpit.”

They were lucky the cops weren’t called and they were arrested.

Offline 8MillionDollarMan

As the pilot couldn't guarantee an allergen free environment the safest thig to do was remove them from the flight.

Exactly and you could have all sorts of idiots asking for certain foods to be banned on a flight otherwise.
Unfortunate for the person involved although the parents should'nt have gone around the plane asking.

Online RandomGuy99

Won't the better thing for the child to wear a facemask so they can be 100% sure of not inhaling peanut oil in the air and maybe gloves to protect their skin if they got to the loo

Online willie loman

Exactly and you could have all sorts of idiots asking for certain foods to be banned on a flight otherwise.
Unfortunate for the person involved although the parents should'nt have gone around the plane asking.

yes thats a real problem eh? idiots going round the plane asking for foods to be banned.

Online willie loman

little doubt in my mind that the captain was being a tosser, no doubt that the family were irritating , but throwing them off the flight,,,,

Online threechilliman

They were saying in the report I saw that if you have a nut allergy you should make it known when booking and remind the airline at every stage. They also said, unlike this Turkish one, the popular airlines that are most used in the UK will do something about it including not having nuts onboard and making an announcement asking people not to eat nuts.
Correct. I was on a flight once where they made an announcement about a passenger with a nut allergy and we were asked not to open any packets of nuts we might have with us.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
little doubt in my mind that the captain was being a tosser, no doubt that the family were irritating , but throwing them off the flight,,,,
The family would've been putting their daughter's life at risk by staying on the plane if the airline weren't willing to try to ensure it was a safe environment. It should have all been sorted before they even got on.

Online willie loman

The family would've been putting their daughter's life at risk by staying on the plane if the airline weren't willing to try to ensure it was a safe environment. It should have all been sorted before they even got on.

while that is true, i was speculating about the captains behaviour.

Offline Watts.E.Dunn

Well as at sea the captains word is law as much as the pax might not like it!.

However if this child is "that" sensitive to peanuts then the parents should not take her into such a confined space, and quite some time for a hospital to be found, land and then a trip in an ambulance which may take quite some time!

Noted re the recylced air tho must jets have a bleed from the engines so that as best I rember the cabin Air is replenshed with other nice and not nice things in circulation!

Don't know the latest thing in Peanut alergy treatment, but it may be that the paitent can't be  de-sentised that much if at all.. Tho they should have an Epi-pen handy at al times thats the one where one you inject into yourself!

Anyway some hope exists a new treatment  is around:)

Online willie loman

Well as at sea the captains word is law as much as the pax might not like it!.

However if this child is "that" sensitive to peanuts then the parents should not take her into such a confined space, and quite some time for a hospital to be found, land and then a trip in an ambulance which may take quite some time!

Noted re the recylced air tho must jets have a bleed from the engines so that as best I rember the cabin Air is replenshed with other nice and not nice things in circulation!

Don't know the latest thing in Peanut alergy treatment, but it may be that the paitent can't be  de-sentised that much if at all.. Tho they should have an Epi-pen handy at al times thats the one where one you inject into yourself!

Anyway some hope exists a new treatment  is around:)

i agree, if your child has issues, you have to accept it, and behave accordingly.

You've got a mind? :lol: Can you not read?
The guy was abusive to crew and tried to get into the cockpit that 100% gets you thrown off a flight.

yes thats a real problem eh? idiots going round the plane asking for foods to be banned.

In this case which is what the post is about then yes it is.

Online willie loman

In this case which is what the post is about then yes it is.

apart from nuts allergy i have never heard of anyone asking for foods to be banned, maybe you can help me with this?

Online willie loman

You've got a mind? :lol: Can you not read?
The guy was abusive to crew and tried to get into the cockpit that 100% gets you thrown off a flight.

Feel free to believe that, i have my doubts.

Offline David1970

Feel free to believe that, i have my doubts.

Please read Willie

“ Due to the insistent behaviour of the passenger to others on board that they should not consume nuts, the captain decided it would be safest if the family did not travel on our flight.
When this was explained to the passenger, he exhibited aggressive behaviour towards our crew members, and tried to gain access to the cockpit.”

Offline Doc Holliday

As has been mentioned, the cabin crew, if notified, will normally make an announcement that there is a passenger on board etc and asking passengers to refrain etc. This may also include them not selling nuts/nut products during the flight. This is common policy ... except when it isn't.

In this case when asked, the staff member refused to make the announcement claiming the policy had changed. That was not this family's normal experience and was the trigger. They then overacted and were (probably) quite rightly removed from the plane.

The issue here is differing airline policies with no standard across them all. This is complicated further by individual staff deciding not to follow the protocol. It would be interesting to know if the policy for this airline has changed or whether the catalyst for what happened was a member of staff refusing to adhere to it?

Nut allergy itself is a complex story. Tiny amounts for some sufferers can trigger a response, but this is not the case for everyone.

apart from nuts allergy i have never heard of anyone asking for foods to be banned, maybe you can help me with this?

Have you ever heard of sarcasm?And if I could get cheese banned by having a word with the Captain I would.

Online willie loman

Please read Willie
it doesnt change my view, no doubt the family were a pain in the arse, but the airlines excuse is just pr rubbish.

Online willie loman

Have you ever heard of sarcasm?And if I could get cheese banned by having a word with the Captain I would.

that was not your original position, and you know that .

As has been mentioned, the cabin crew, if notified, will normally make an announcement that there is a passenger on board etc and asking passengers to refrain etc. This may also include them not selling nuts/nut products during the flight. This is common policy ... except when it isn't.

In this case when asked, the staff member refused to make the announcement claiming the policy had changed. That was not this family's normal experience and was the trigger. They then overacted and were (probably) quite rightly removed from the plane.

The issue here is differing airline policies with no standard across them all. This is complicated further by individual staff deciding not to follow the protocol. It would be interesting to know if the policy for this airline has changed or whether the catalyst for what happened was a member of staff refusing to adhere to it?

Nut allergy itself is a complex story. Tiny amounts for some sufferers can trigger a response, but this is not the case for everyone.

Why doesn't it surprise me the bloke works for the BBC,regardless he should have checked the rules.
Taking a cheap flight to Turkey is not a recipe for people acting corrrectly on planes,entitled is the word.

Online willie loman

am not sure i understand , what has sarcasm got to do with this ? no one has an issue with food consumption, except when it comes to nuts, i again ask you to clarify.

Offline george r

Correct. I was on a flight once where they made an announcement about a passenger with a nut allergy and we were asked not to open any packets of nuts we might have with us.

I was on one years ago and they asked the same and also said none would be sold on the flight

Offline Doc Holliday

Digging into this a bit more it seems Sun Express policy is not to make announcements. It seems also that Turkish owned airlines have something of a reputation with regard to dealing with nut allergy passengers

Offline timsussex

1) its a clickbait headline - they were thrown off for their (allegedly) belligerent attitude
2) every airline has a set of rules, waiting until you are on the plane is too late - what if the previous seat occupant was a peanut muncher ?
3) as always positive action for anyone challenged by normal life means a diminution of rights for everyone else; not being able to eat peanuts for a couple of hours to save a life is a pretty small sacrifice but nervertheless is one so should passengers be asked/warned ? should they be offered alternative flights?
4) If they asked for no peanuts to be given out (as many short haul flights do with drinks) should the airline (if informed on booking) have an alternative ? Or if nuts are so dangerous should they be sold anyway ?

Offline Watts.E.Dunn

Offline juzz

A member of my family has a serious peanut allergy. On the whole, airlines have improved in the past 25 years. Over the years, some ways of handling it that we have experienced it have included:

1. Suggesting that the sufferer sit in the toilet while they served nuts (British Airways, late 90's)

2. Sitting the passenger in a separate row from other passengers (can't remember the carrier, long time ago, and what the fuck is that meant to achieve other than the joy of not having people in neighbouring seats?)

3. An announcement saying there would be no nuts served and asking passengers not to consume their own nuts (Japan Airlines, very professional, two occasions and Virgin on a couple of occasions too).

4. When mentioned to crew that we had raised the issue during booking, being told that they hadn't got the message and that they would be serving nuts regardless (Lufthansa, pre-Covid). We suggested that they removed us from the aircraft, get our luggage off and give us a refund. The cabin stewardess said no, so we insisted she informed the captain. She eventually did, no nuts were served and an apology was sent from the flight deck for the lack of understanding.

I think when issues arise is down to poor staff training, or that training not sinking in. FFS, which flight staff want the risk of anaphylaxis at 30,000 feet?

Funnily, I remember a guy on a Virgin flight, complaining loudly to the stewardess that he wanted nuts 'and let the fucker die'. The hostess was brilliant - she simply replied 'I am sure they think the same of you sir'.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 01:31:48 am by juzz »

Offline catweazle

I've been on numerous flights in my  lifetime. Its only in the last few years that I have seen aggressive behaviour  by passengers, and those individuals  being removed from the aircraft- most recently  flying to Mexico  earlier this month.  Seems airlines will no longer tolerate what is in their eyes, poor behaviour.

Online mr.bluesky

I've been on numerous flights in my  lifetime. Its only in the last few years that I have seen aggressive behaviour  by passengers, and those individuals  being removed from the aircraft- most recently  flying to Mexico  earlier this month.  Seems airlines will no longer tolerate what is in their eyes, poor behaviour.

But there does still seem to be instances of bad behaviour on aircraft usually due to passengers being half pissed out of their heads before getting on the aircraft . Plenty of stories still appear in the newspapers of this happening. The solution to this is for airports not to serve alcohol at all , surely people can go a few hours without drinking alcohol  :unknown:

Online southcoastpunter

The solution to this is for airports not to serve alcohol at all , surely people can go a few hours without drinking alcohol  :unknown:

like many responses these days that is the wrong solution to a problem. one that effects the 95% of normal well behaved rather than dealing with the 5% (or in this case, probably 1% or less) of trouble makers.

Airlines and airports could deal with this if they really wanted to - make an "trouble makers alliance" where they share details and all carriers/airports refuse to accept booking (including any return leg) from any offender* for say 10 years for 1st time offense and lifetime for repeat offenders! (or something like that)

* more serious offenders like drunks, shouting at/abusing staff or other passengers etc)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2024, 12:13:57 pm by southcoastpunter »

Offline DastardlyDick

Apparently, the airline ask people to notify them at least 48 hours in advance if they have this sort of issue and (allegedly) this lot didn't, just basically kicked off at the aircraft door. The mother is a weather person at the BBC, so there was probably an element of DYKWIA involved.
As with most of these stories, both sides have their version of events - the truth lies somewhere in between.

Offline timsussex

The solution to this is for airports not to serve alcohol at all , surely people can go a few hours without drinking alcohol  :unknown:

Not just airports - no Alcohol allowed courtside at the French Open Tennis - ? will that lead to no champers at Wimbledon ?

Not just airports - no Alcohol allowed courtside at the French Open Tennis - ? will that lead to no champers at Wimbledon ?

Doubt it the French can't handle drink unlike us.

Offline myothernameis

But there does still seem to be instances of bad behaviour on aircraft usually due to passengers being half pissed out of their heads before getting on the aircraft . Plenty of stories still appear in the newspapers of this happening. The solution to this is for airports not to serve alcohol at all , surely people can go a few hours without drinking alcohol  :unknown:

I'v always said this, something need to be done to curb the amount of alcohol that is consumed before flights.   Over the years most of my flights to Italy have departed at around 06:00, and the minute the bars open, its a mad rush.

I seen groups of youths seated with full glasses and empty glasses, and glad I'm not on there flight.  Even when I head to my gate, there youths heading to other gates, and boisterous, and getting told to calm down

So think it kind of double standards, so the airport will willing serve you alcohol drinks, but if your drunk the airlines will refuse you boarding.  Even the law states, you should not be intoxicated, when flying

Offline timsussex

Now I probably drink double the recommended levels but I have never been able to understand the need for a drink at 5 or 6 in the morning.

Yes its double standards just like pubs who are legally required not to sell alcohol to anyone drunk - but who defines drunk ?

I'v always said this, something need to be done to curb the amount of alcohol that is consumed before flights.   Over the years most of my flights to Italy have departed at around 06:00, and the minute the bars open, its a mad rush.

I believe airports are the highest rents in retail so a drink with your food is going to be important for the retailers and the airport.
I'll have an earlyl ivener but I'd never get on a plane pissed,50 year old bladder couldn't take it for a start.

Online southcoastpunter

The airports are not owned by the airlines so their commercial viewpoint is different - airports want to sell as much as they can (within reason) but remember often drink takes a while to fully impact an individual.

But most of all, remember it should be about imo, personal responsibly. I used to have a drink once checked in (one drink) no matter what time of day or night as that was then "the start of the holiday".

But as i suggested earlier, airlines could join together if they wanted to a ban trouble makers from all the airlines who band together. that would significantly reduce the problem. But everyone (including airlines) leave it to someone else to solve the problem or deal with the issues instead of being pro-active!