Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Brothel Candles - an illuminating history  (Read 1632 times)

Offline tynetunnel

The below was stolen taken from an article I read. I hope my fellow punters find it as interesting as I did

Brothel Candles

Brothel candles, also known as match candles, serve as a fascinating artifact from the history of human social customs and the shadowy world of the sex trade in earlier times. This antique box of match candles provides a tangible connection to a bygone era, where they played a crucial role in the operations of brothels. Their primary function was not just to provide light but to measure time in an environment where time was directly equated with money.

Historical Context of Brothel Candles

In the dimly lit corridors of brothels, particularly during the 18th and 19th centuries, brothel candles were a common tool. Women working in these establishments used these candles to time the sessions with their clients. A man would pay for a session, and in return, a candle would be lit. The burning of the candle marked the duration of the client's stay; once the candle extinguished, the session was over. Each candle was crafted to last approximately 7 minutes, a predefined duration that was understood by both parties.

This method of timekeeping was not only practical but also necessary. In an age before the widespread availability of mechanical clocks and other timekeeping devices, brothel candles offered a simple and effective way to manage time discreetly. They enabled brothel workers to maintain a schedule and ensure fairness both to themselves and their clients, by preventing disputes over the length of a session.

Societal Implications

The use of brothel candles also reflects the societal attitudes of the times. Brothels were both marginalized and integral parts of society, providing not only sexual services but also a space where men could engage in activities seen as inappropriate or unacceptable in other parts of society. The very existence of such candles is a testament to the regulated and business-like nature of brothels, which operated with their own sets of rules and norms within the broader societal framework.

Moreover, these candles highlight the precarious position of women in brothels. While they provided a means to ensure fairness, they also underscored the transactional nature of the interactions within brothels. Women's time and services were commodified, measured by the minute, emphasizing the economic dynamics that underpinned their interactions with clients.

The Artifact Itself

An antique box of brothel candles is a collector's item today, valued not just for its age but for the story it tells about human history. Typically, these candles were small, allowing them to burn down quickly. The box itself would likely be plain or discreetly decorated, reflecting the functional and clandestine nature of its contents. Collecting such items offers a glimpse into the less-discussed aspects of social and economic history, revealing how deeply commercial and personal relationships were intertwined in such environments.

Brothel Candles in Modern Times

Today, brothel candles are often found in museums or private collections. They serve as educational tools, helping to illuminate the daily lives of those who lived in eras far removed from our own. For historians and enthusiasts of antiques, these candles provide a direct link to the past, serving as a physical representation of historical practices and social conditions.

The study and display of such artifacts also encourage discussions about the evolution of societal norms and the history of sex work. In modern times, where the dialogue around sex work involves themes of legality, morality, and human rights, understanding the historical context of such practices can inform current debates and policies.

Conclusion

Brothel candles, as mundane as they may seem at first glance, are steeped in history and rich with stories from the past. They remind us of the complexity of human relationships and the ways in which societies manage, regulate, and commodify human interactions. As artifacts, they challenge us to think about the past not just in terms of major events and figures, but also in terms of everyday objects and the ordinary lives of people.

#HistoryOfSexWork #BrothelCandles #AntiqueCollectibles #TimekeepingHistory #SocialHistory #MuseumFinds #HistoricalArtifacts #19thCenturyHistory #EconomicHistory #WomenInHistory

Hidden Image/Members Only

Offline Andywb

Thanks for sharing the interesting information.  It's interesting that they lasted only 7 minutes - that's a short session unless they were lit in succession which would be awkward mid punt.

Online mr.bluesky

Thanks for sharing the interesting information.  It's interesting that they lasted only 7 minutes - that's a short session unless they were lit in succession which would be awkward mid punt.

If they only lasted 7 minutes what would I do for the other 6 minutes  :rolleyes:

Offline Jonestown

It's interesting that they lasted only 7 minutes - that's a short session unless they were lit in succession which would be awkward mid punt.

Seven minutes, that's strange, the Paul Coelho book about sex is called Eleven Minutes, because as I understood it, the average sexual act of intercourse takes 11 minutes. Someones being shortchanged.

Offline Bonker

Nowadays, if you bought 2 candles - some scammers would light them at the same time.

Offline Blackpool Rock

Seven minutes, that's strange, the Paul Coelho book about sex is called Eleven Minutes, because as I understood it, the average sexual act of intercourse takes 11 minutes. Someones being shortchanged.
You do realise these are Romanian with fast burning wicks  :unknown:  :rolleyes:  :hi:

Offline standardpostage

Good story, interesting  :thumbsup:

I suppose you could also use an hour glass / sand timer, when they were invented  :unknown:

Online RandomGuy99

So that's 5 minutes to get into the place and sort out the paperwork.  5 minutes to undress and have a wash. Leaving 1 minute for the sex. Sounds about right.

Online scutty brown

Wash?
The modern obsession with cleanliness hadn't arrived by then.
No mains water, no electricity, no understanding of hygiene, along with mainly manual jobs meant there was little interest in keeping clean

Offline rebelscum

So candle watcher was the olden days equivalent of clock watcher then?  :D

Offline advent2016

The below was stolen taken from an article I read. I hope my fellow punters find it as interesting as I did

Can you link the original article?

Online FLYING BLUE

Very interesting Sunday morning read :hi:

Offline rocket88

The Cosmopolitan in Manchester should invest in some of these candles so punters can actually see what is going on!
I think some the SPs would be only too pleased about the seven minute duration 😁

Online scutty brown

I hate to ruin a good story but it's all bunkum

External Link/Members Only
No, the so-called "brothel candles" shown in the pictures have nothing to do with brothels. Invented in France in the 1830s, the allumettes-bougies (candle-matches) or bougies-allumettes were actually a type of matches shaped like a small candle, with a wick tipped with phosphorus. An alternative to wooden matches, the wood was replaced by a mixture of wax, stearine or paraffine. They would not have been suitable to time sexual activities (or very short ones...), as they only lasted 1 or 2 minutes, not seven (Payen, 1867)! This was long enough, however, to melt the wax used to seal letters (Le Temps, 16 January 1835). People complained that smokers threw away flaming candle-matches carelessly, occasionally burning passerbys (Le Siècle, 14 October 1868).
From Maigne and Brandely (1878):

Candle matches are much more convenient to use than other white phosphorus matches. When ignited by friction and immediately set straight, they instantly give a beautiful light, which lasts one or two minutes, that is to say four or eight times longer than that of wooden matches. They are coloured and flavoured as usual.

Candle-matches were invented in Paris by Adelaïde Merckel (sometimes written Merkel) in the mid-1830s. She and her husband Etienne Georges were inventors who set up the successful Merkel factory of matches and lighters (someone should write about female French industrialists of the 18th-19th century!). A worker of the Merkel factory, Jean-Baptiste Roche, moved to Marseille in 1841 to create his own company, Roche & Cie (the name is seen on the "brothel candles" images). Roche's business was also successful: not only he improved the technical design of the Merkel matchboxes (using rubber), making them safer and easier to use, but he added his own twist (Péligot, 1868):

They illustrated these boxes with chromolithographs, often more saucy than funny, portraits, photographs, etc., and in order to disseminate their products, sacrificed to the public taste. In a word, in order to propagate their products, they have sacrificed to the more or less pure taste of the public. One must regret the use of these means, which only increase the price of the product without serious compensation; but one cannot ignore the fact that they have been very effective.

Roche also put in the matchboxes some "fairly eccentric poems", which may have been slightly risqué. This is possibly the reason why people on the internet claim that candle-matches were used in brothels.

Jean-Baptiste Roche died in December 1848 in a tragic accident: as he was experimenting with a new phosphorus paste (Sicard et al., 1867), the mixture took fire and he was burned alive, "expiring in excrutiating pain" (Le Constitutionnel, 29 December 1848). Such accidents were common in matches factories: Adélaïde Merkel's factory had burned in 1843. She sued her insurance company, who had refused to pay her claiming that it did not know that she was manufacturing matches, and she won!

By the 1850s, candle-match manufacture was a thriving business in France, and Marseille was at the centre of it. When Roche & Cie decided to move to new facilities, 89 neighbours protested against it with NIMBY arguments (smell, danger, lower estate prices...) and a study was carried out by an official commission to examine the petition. At that time, the company sold for 400,000 francs of matches per year, and employed 73 people, including 50 children of both sexes from 7 to 13, 8 women, and 7 lithograph workers who were in charge of the illustrations. The commission was worried that the move would hurt those "poor people" (malheureux), but still authorized Roche & Cie to occupy the new premises for ten years, for "services rendered to the working class" (Rousset de Septème et al., 1852). By the mid-1860s, the production became partly mechanized, though women and children remained the main employees (Sicard et al., 1867; Péligot, 1868).

Late-century newspapers show how common were the candle-matches, which were used whenever people needed a little bit of lighting that lasted longer than with regular matches. And people still complained (or feigned to do so...) that they were (Le Petit Courrier de Bar-sur-Seine, 18 January 1887)

illustrated with saucy images that often showed too much cleavage and that one would be afraid to leave in the hands of young girls or children.

Candle-matches, who had become a state monopoly in 1872 like other matches, kept being popular in France at the turn of the century, so much that they attracted counterfeiters and smugglers, not all of them criminals: in 1900, three young French priests from a seminary in Northern France were caught by the customs smuggling 2 kg of Belgian candle-matches (someone bailed them out) (Le Progrès de la Somme, 11 February 1900). It seems that candle-matches went out of fashion after WW1, being replaced by the "Swedish" safety match in the early decades of the 20th century. In any case, for about 100 years, they were a popular and everyday item that people carried in their pockets.

Sources

Le Progrès de la Somme. ‘Flagrant délit de fraude’, 11 February 1900. External Link/Members Only.*

Le Petit Courrier de Bar-sur-Seine. ‘Les allumettes administratives’, 18 January 1887. External Link/Members Only.

Le Constitutionnel. ‘Intérieur’, 29 December 1848. External Link/Members Only.

Le Siècle. ‘Echos’, 14 October 1868. External Link/Members Only.

Le Temps. ‘Mode du temps’, 16 January 1835. External Link/Members Only.

Maigne, W., and A. Brandely. Nouveau manuel complet du fabricant de briquets et d’ allumettes chimiques ou traité général de tous les moyens connus de se procurer du feu et de la lumière. Librairie encyclopédique de Roret, 1878. External Link/Members Only.

Payen, Anselme. Précis de chimie industrielle: à l’usage 1. des écoles d’arts et manufactures et d’arts et métiers, 2. des écoles préparatoires aux professions industrielles, 3. des fabricants et des agriculteurs. Paris: Hachette, 1867. External Link/Members Only.

Peligot, Henri. ‘Note sur l’industrie des allumettes chimiques’. Mémoires de la Société des ingénieurs civils de France, 1868, 105–27. External Link/Members Only

Rousset de Septème, Camoin, and Théodore Dugas. Rapport sur la fabrique de bougies-allumettes de MM. Roche et Cie, par une commission composée de MM. Rousset, Camoin et Dugas, rapporteur. Rapport Général des Travaux des Conseils d’Hygiène et de Salubrité du Département des Bouches-du-Rhône, publié en Septembre 1851, 1852. External Link/Members Only.

Sicard, Roussin, and Vidal. ‘Séance du 5 septembre 1867’. Répertoire des travaux de la Société de statistique d’histoire et d’archéologie de Marseille et de Provence, 5 September 1867, 585–602.

Smith, Paul. ‘L’ancienne manufacture d’allumettes d’Aubervilliers’. In Situ. Revue des patrimoines, no. 26 (6 July 2015). External Link/Members Only

NOT brothel candles
Posted on February 26, 2023by The Fake History Hunter
These tiny candles in small boxes with pictures of pretty ladies on them, are regularly mentioned on social media with the claim that they are brothel timers.
A prostitute would light one, the hanky panky would commence and the customer’s time would be up once the candle burned out, which generally was 7 minutes.

But the whole story is nonsense.

The candles are real but there is no contemporary evidence at all for them being used as naughty time timers, which of course doesn’t mean they were never used for this purpose, but no evidence means we shouldn’t claim it as truth.
It also doesn’t make a lot of sense, we’re talking about the Victorian era here, not the middle ages.
There were clocks and watches everywhere, some quite cheap.
You could also use am hourglass, even cheaper.
Also 7 minutes is quite a specific and peculiar time for such an activity, some may consider it too short, others too long, why 7 minutes?
What they really are is “bougies de poche” (pocket candles), tiny wax candles in a sort of matchbox that you would light and place in the little hole in the box so you would have a temporary light for when you didn’t have an oil or gas lamp nearby.
Some had a phosphorus dipped tip so they could be lit like a match.
Very handy if you just had to get undressed after coming home from the pub but didn’t want to wake up your spouse.
Also perfect for lighting all the other regular candles or lights in your house!

Interesting enough they were called “bougies de poche anglaises” in the 1867 French book “Le dernier mot de Rocambole”, so in France they knew them as English pocket candles… but the book also says that they only burned for 3 minutes…
I can’t help but wonder if they called the ones that lasted even shorter to take a dig at the English.

Offline tynetunnel

It seems as though I have been spreading fake news, for which I apologise! It was a great story and I believed it. Turns out it’s all a bit of an urban myth, albeit of a historical nature. Thanks for all the input chaps, I hope you enjoyed the read nonetheless

I can’t link as it is one of those bloody irritating things that pops up in a Facebook feed, then when you want to find it again, has permanently vanished into the ether!

Online scutty brown

Actually it presents an interesting insight into employment practices and safety back then.
The Roche factory cited in my second quote was using white phosphorous  (toxic, flammable solid, all-round bad news) and would have had little safety equipment - and the staff described as
"At that time, the company sold for 400,000 francs of matches per year, and employed 73 people, including 50 children of both sexes from 7 to 13, 8 women"

Safety details
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 06:12:33 pm by scutty brown »

Offline Stevelondon

:D

It was an interesting read although nothing to wax lyrical about. In fact before I got to the end it was starting to get on my wick.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 06:35:00 pm by Stevelondon »

Online scutty brown

While on the subject of candles, don't forget this famous ditty

All the nice girls love a candle,
All the nice girls love a wick,
For there's something about a candle
Which reminds them of a prick.
Nice and greasy, slips in easy,
Its a girlies pride and joy,
Its been up our Lady Jane,
And its going up again,
So Ship Ahoy Boys, Ship Ahoy.

Offline Camargue

In the nunnery at night.
First nun: "where's the candle?"  Second nun: "yes, it does."

Offline willie loman

its only comparatively recenty the obsession with lasting a long time, historically men were judged by how often they could do it in a night.

Offline Branny

While on the subject of candles, don't forget this famous ditty

All the nice girls love a candle,
All the nice girls love a wick,
For there's something about a candle
Which reminds them of a prick.
Nice and greasy, slips in easy,
Its a girlies pride and joy,
Its been up our Lady Jane,
And its going up again,
So Ship Ahoy Boys, Ship Ahoy.

Thanks for sharing that, a long forgotten song for me.  :hi:

Offline ZeroCount

its only comparatively recenty the obsession with lasting a long time, historically men were judged by how often they could do it in a night.

Ah, that was me in my youth, no self-control, but given a sexy enough partner I was ready to go again in minutes. I recall one time I pulled a girl way out of my league, and I kept her up all night, must've shagged her about 15 times.

It's good to know that I would've been considered a stud if I'd been born into a different time! Nowadays I've still got no staying power, and I'm usually more of a one-pop guy too.  :D