Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Hiatal hernia  (Read 362 times)

Offline HighlyMotivated

Anyone ever dealt with one of these before? Just got diagnosed with a 3cm sliding HH which has been giving me hell the last few weeks - mainly heartburn that is difficult to control.

Apparently my options are lifetime on PPI medication which has potentially harmful long term consequences- osteoporosis, gastric cancer, dementia, poor vitamin absorption. Probably preferable to long-term consequences of stomach acid cooking my esophagus, mind.

My other option is surgery which involves pulling the stomach out of the esophagus and then wrapping the top of the stomach around the esophagus to stop acid rising up. Sounds barbaric, but apparently this is how it's done (although most of these surgeries fail within 10 years and have to be redone)

So, I'm rather depressed about this at the minute because as well as being unable to eat large portions I also have to stay away from coffee, garlic, lemon, onion, red meat, chocolate, tomato, fizzy drinks, alcohol, spicy food and more. Not to mention my libido is non existent. Is life even worth living like this?

I am slim and otherwise healthy, so there's not much else I can do lifestyle wise to help myself, beyond cutting out the basic pleasures of so many foods. It's very frustrating.

Anyway, apologies for the longish post, just wondering whether anyone has any experience or advice with this sort of thing. Thanks

Offline Dogbreath

It’s very common, PPI drugs  are incredibly safe and the side-effects are largely theoretical. I/d take the PPIs and eat what you like !

Offline PepeMAGA

I take PPIs every day, I have no ill effects though I know someone else that takes them at a higher dose and has magnesium deficiency.
No issues at 20mg a day.

Offline Thephoenix

Anyone ever dealt with one of these before? Just got diagnosed with a 3cm sliding HH which has been giving me hell the last few weeks - mainly heartburn that is difficult to control.

Apparently my options are lifetime on PPI medication which has potentially harmful long term consequences- osteoporosis, gastric cancer, dementia, poor vitamin absorption. Probably preferable to long-term consequences of stomach acid cooking my esophagus, mind.

My other option is surgery which involves pulling the stomach out of the esophagus and then wrapping the top of the stomach around the esophagus to stop acid rising up. Sounds barbaric, but apparently this is how it's done (although most of these surgeries fail within 10 years and have to be redone)

So, I'm rather depressed about this at the minute because as well as being unable to eat large portions I also have to stay away from coffee, garlic, lemon, onion, red meat, chocolate, tomato, fizzy drinks, alcohol, spicy food and more. Not to mention my libido is non existent. Is life even worth living like this?

I am slim and otherwise healthy, so there's not much else I can do lifestyle wise to help myself, beyond cutting out the basic pleasures of so many foods. It's very frustrating.

Anyway, apologies for the longish post, just wondering whether anyone has any experience or advice with this sort of thing. Thanks

I've suffered with reflux for about 20 years so you have my sympathy.
My symptoms were not so much heartburn (oesophagus), more so the intense burning in my throat and mouth when lying down, referred to as 'silent reflux' or LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux).

I've tried every PPI available to no avail.
Gaviscon Advanced is helpful but doesn't completely stop the symptoms. (Must be Gaviscon Advanced.)
It's expensive so worth getting it on prescription.
It can help to put a layer on top of your food and gives some protection to your oesophagus.

There is a lot of good advice about diet and lifestyle online.

Avoid heavy meals in the evening and try raising the head of your bed with some bricks.

I had the laparoscopic nissen fundoplication about 7 years ago which fixed the sliding hiatus hernia.
It helped for a while but now my symptoms have returned and are worse than before surgery.
The surgery can be very successful in easing heartburn symptoms but unfortunately not so good with LPR.
A lot depends on the skill and experience of the surgeon, and it's common to leave hospital on the same day or following day.
You then follow the post op dietary guidelines of mainly liquid or soft food for about a month.

Unfortunately my surgery didn't go to plan, and I had to return to hospital for further tests and observation.
The young surgeon confided in me later it was his "first operation and he was quite worried about me".
Not what you normally hope to hear.

I've now been referred by  my ENT consultant back to Gastroenterology.
I'm hoping I won't need further surgery but that may be the only option.

Offline 8MillionDollarMan

It’s very common, PPI drugs  are incredibly safe and the side-effects are largely theoretical. I/d take the PPIs and eat what you like !

That is terrible ill informed advice.

Offline 8MillionDollarMan

I've suffered with reflux for about 20 years so you have my sympathy.
My symptoms were not so much heartburn (oesophagus), more so the intense burning in my throat and mouth when lying down, referred to as 'silent reflux' or LPR (laryngopharyngeal reflux).

I've tried every PPI available to no avail.

I didn't have a Hernia but was on every PPI there is to treat chronic reflux none of which worked either.
In desperation I went to see a dietician and after making alterations to my diet it's now pretty much completely gone.I didn't find changing my diet difficult even though I thought it would be.
Not one of the many doctors I met suggested the problem might be my diet which I find incredible.

Offline scutty brown

Where did that list of side effects come from? Sounds like someone is badly overexaggerating.
As already said, PPI drugs are incredibly safe.

from External Link/Members Only
Side effects from PPIs are rare. You may have a headache, diarrhea, constipation, nausea, or itching. Ask your provider about possible concerns with long-term use, such as infections and bone fractures.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 08:33:04 am by scutty brown »

Offline WASA38

I was frequently doubled over in agony after eating , usually after particularly tasty meals .Consequence of a diagnosed severe hiatus hernia.

Was prescribed 20 mg omeprazole daily. I take this each morning and, touch wood, have had no further episodes for over a year despite my fondness for spicy and occasionally quite acidic foods.

I take most of the contra-indication warnings on medications with a pinch of salt (or even chilli powder!).

Offline HighlyMotivated

Thanks for the replies all, some encouraging words and stories. Will see how it goes with PPI rather than rushing into ideas of surgery which appears to be only a temporary fix.

Forgot to ask- those who lift or go to the gym, how has your hiatal hernia impacted this? I'm told to take it easy, which I guess makes sense, but how easy? The concern is too much intra abdominal pressure could worsen the hernia.

Where did that list of side effects come from? Sounds like someone is badly overexaggerating.
As already said, PPI drugs are incredibly safe.

from External Link/Members Only

Those are short term side effects that come with basically every medication, the warnings of long term PPI potential side effects like polyps, osteoporosis etc are easily searchable online, and will be mentioned to you by any gastroenterologist. As I said though, the alternative risk posed by GERD is far greater.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 01:41:55 pm by HighlyMotivated »

Offline Omadon2001

I took have read about PPI's causing dementia etc with long term use.

I have tried Lansoprazole, Omeprazole and Esomeprazole but each one causes me to have Parathesia - tingling in my hands/legs/feet.

The above tablets are quite cheap, cost wise, for the NHS to prescribe.

Last year I visited my GP with chest pains and was prescribed Nizatidine. It belongs to a different class to of drugs to PPI's. There's no reports of long term health issues but it costs the NHS upwards of 15 times more than omeprazole to prescribe so they may be reluctant to give it to slot of people

Offline Thephoenix

I have tried Lansoprazole, Omeprazole and Esomeprazole but each one causes me to have Parathesia - tingling in my hands/legs/feet.

Last year I visited my GP with chest pains and was prescribed Nizatidine. It belongs to a different class to of drugs to PPI's. There's no reports of long term health issues but it costs the NHS upwards of 15 times more than omeprazole to prescribe so they may be reluctant to give it to slot of people

.. error
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:42:24 am by Thephoenix »

Offline Omadon2001

.. error

May I add that they thought my chest pains were caused by acid reflux and slot people should be a lot of people