Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Things you think are over rated  (Read 5786 times)

Online mr.bluesky

Taylor Swift, what's the big deal with her  :unknown:

Online timsussex

decent bod, pretty face, rich, untill recently had a penchant for English men - whats not to like ?  :rolleyes:

Offline PepeMAGA

Music wise? Probably one of the few that are still consistently putting out songs and that's enough, spreads over a long timeline. But I'm not a fan of her music

Online WARSZAWA16

Cruises. Sorry, just don't get it at all.  :unknown:

Online mr.bluesky

decent bod, pretty face, rich, untill recently had a penchant for English men - whats not to like ?  :rolleyes:

I nominated her some time ago on the women you should fancy but don't.  I don't know why but I just don't fancy her in the slightest and think her music is overrated 🤷

Online mr.bluesky

Likewise, especially those cruises that go to cold places to see penguins and polar bears. Who wants to go on a cruise where its bloody cold  :unknown:

Offline Thephoenix

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

I think Taylor Swift is supremely talented and makes some fantastic music.

As for cruises, I bloody love them! I’m off on a Caribbean cruise later this year, it will be the 8th that I’ve done, I’ve never quite understood why some people dislike them so much.

Offline Blackpool Rock

As for cruises, I bloody love them! I’m off on a Caribbean cruise later this year, it will be the 8th that I’ve done, I’ve never quite understood why some people dislike them so much.
I'd honestly rather stay at home than go on a cruise  :thumbsdown:

I know there are different types / levels but i've known people who have gone on them and come back saying how great it was getting dressed up for evening dinner etc.
Personally I can't stand anything formal so the thought of having to go out and buy or hire a dinner suit with bow tie etc just has no interest

Floating incubators  :hi:

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 28
The comedy of James Acaster. Once I figured out his act which is basically a man who is a bit nerdy acting like Bertie big bollocks and delivering jokes in a dry slightly autistic way I realised just how one dimensional it is. Compared to Stewart Lee who is overrated but occasionally brilliant at doing the reverse or Ricky Gervais who has impeccable timing and a natural style of delivery.

Most films made in the last decade and TV series like Killing Eve and doctor who. Patronising garbage for anyone over the age of 12.

The preoccupation with segregation. We know there are great female authors always has been. Doesn't need a section in Waterstones.

The unfunny, unwitty films of Jordan Peele.

McDonald's coffee - gnats piss.
Starbucks coffee - gnats piss and underextracted.
Why is it so difficult to do decent coffee?

Vindaloo - heat but not much flavour. Happy to admit maybe I just had bad ones

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Marvel movies. If you're 14 then ok otherwise WTF? :scare:

Star Wars. Never really got the excitement.

Chunky thighs and big fat asses.

Amazon Prime Video

FPS video games-I get motion sickness

New Years Eve. Unless you're doing something REALLY memorable then I'd rather go to bed early
Agree with most of these except chunky thighs and fat arses on women. Fucking love them.

Disagree on prime video unlike Netflix they have old films that are rare and cult, not necessarily good like British sex comedies, giallo, Japanese gangster films etc.

Offline catweazle

I know there are different types / levels but i've known people who have gone on them and come back saying how great it was getting dressed up for evening dinner etc.
Personally I can't stand anything formal so the thought of having to go out and buy or hire a dinner suit with bow tie etc just has no interest

Our American cousins,  with their egalitarian outlook, have all but killed formal dressing on cruises.

As for the oft-quoted 'floating petri dish' comments, the hygiene on cruise ships is way better than in most resort  hotels.  The issue is when someone falls ill, ( usually through poor personal hygiene- not washing hands after  the toilet) it can spread quickly because of the 'captive audience ' nature of the vessel.

A friend had taken in excess of 25 cruises. He said to me once " I'm  staying in a luxury hotel, with a wide choice of restaurants  and bars, great entertainment.....and tomorrow my hotel is somewhere  different!"
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 10:19:13 am by catweazle »

Offline sir wanksalot

I am an afficianado, inherited my love of the genre from my father but I appreciate it's not for everybody. I also enjoy classical music, again for a lot of people it's an acquired taste. Personally I can't stand rap, hip hop and other associated noise.

I have tried to force myself to like it as I liked the visual of me slouching on my sofa listening to a jazz vinyl with the windows open in my Manhattan apartment  :cool:

The classic Jazz I actually love. It's the riff and improvs that I can't listen to.

Offline sir wanksalot

I'm not a massive foodie and it seems a lot of people rave about the buffets and dinners whilst I'm just thinking.......meh

I also don't like the idea of HAVING to be in one place (albeit a massive place) for a set number of days and then only having a set number of hours to sightsee when you get to land.

I get it's a floating hotel but when I am on holiday I actually want to get away from my hotel-I just use it to sleep in

Offline sir wanksalot

Agree with most of these except chunky thighs and fat arses on women. Fucking love them.

Disagree on prime video unlike Netflix they have old films that are rare and cult, not necessarily good like British sex comedies, giallo, Japanese gangster films etc.

Maybe Prime Video doesn't present itself that well. I find it very difficult to find anything new and of interest. I know they have some classic films (Witness to the Prosecution has been lingering in my watchlist for months) but a lot of their movies, docs and series remain unchanged even after several months.

With Netflix, I can leave it a week and I'll find a handful of great docs or series to watch.

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

Regarding cruises, you don’t have to dress up for a formal evening, it’s entirely optional. There are usually plenty of other restaurants to pick from.

The modern cruise ships are literally floating resorts with a wide choice of entertainment, bars and restaurants. There’s something for everyone. It’s also a good way of trying a new country for the first time; it’s better to spend a few hours somewhere and decide that it’s not for you than rocking up for a fortnight’s holiday and discovering that you don’t like the place. Stopping on a cruise in Croatia made me want to go back, which I did. Stopping at a couple of Italian ports made me not want to go back and I had thought about holidaying in the area.

Offline PilotMan

Have you been on one?

My grandparents were always going on them and I just didn't get it. They went on a few Soviet cruise ships during the cold war era, I can remember going with my parents to drop them off at Tilbury docks. One of them was the MS Mikhail Lermontov, which sank whilst on duty in New Zealand, not while they were on it thankfully. I also remember frequently going to Southampton to either collect them or drop them off, the ships were always full of pensioners.

So that was my impression, it's a floating hotel for pensioners.

I get to my late twenties and I'm running a business that's in a trading relationship with a global Japanese firm. They held an annual conference (a free holiday in reality) as a sign of gratitude for trading partners. After enjoying a number of "free holidays" they announce that the next annual trip is a cruise around the Caribbean, my heart sank. I was in two minds whether to go, but to not go would be a sign of disrespect.

It was an unusual vessel, the Wind Star, it's a very sophisticated sailing boat. It turned out awesome, we visited lots of small islands and were able to go to places that normal giant cruise ships couldn't. The ship was hired exclusively, so there was only our party of circa 100 + crew on board.

Spin the clock forward a few more years and it's another cruise. This time it's from New York to Bermuda on the MV Horizon, which is a monster compared to the Wind Star and a totally different experience, it was like being inside a huge floating 5 star hotel. I didn't enjoy it as much as we only had two stops, Hamilton and St. George's. The amount of food consumed by passengers was mind boggling, there's always a buffet in action somewhere. Some of the American passengers were so fat that they couldn't walk around, they had those electric buggies.

I would consider a cruise again, but it's not at the top of my bucket list.

Offline 8MillionDollarMan

I nominated her some time ago on the women you should fancy but don't.  I don't know why but I just don't fancy her in the slightest and think her music is overrated 🤷

I don't fancy her in the slightest either,music is ok if a bit moany.

Offline myothernameis

TV quiz shows with celebrity guests, just dont find them funny, and the latest one, is Rob Beckett Smash TV

I prefer TV quiz shows, with members of the public, and they can be more funnier than celebrities

Offline chrishornx

TV quiz shows with celebrity guests, just dont find them funny, and the latest one, is Rob Beckett Smash TV

I prefer TV quiz shows, with members of the public, and they can be more funnier than celebrities

Gogglebox is far better than celebrity Gogglebox

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Gogglebox is far better than celebrity Gogglebox
Any of those are vastly overrated for me, I can't get my head around how anybody can enjoy watching someone else watching television.

Offline jackdaw

I’ve never been on a cruise..but loads of mates have, and talking to them can see the attraction.

First up, there’s no requirement on the great majority of them to get “dressed up” if you don’t want to. Usually there’s a wide range of eating options, and on most of the reputable ones the food is top notch.

But the main attraction..I suspect..is that it’s a good way to see a number of different countries quickly and in comfort, and if you find a couple you really like you can go back later to sped more time.

I’ll certainly try one sometime soon, as I get older and lazier, and the trekking/rambling holidays I usually do become less attractive to me.

Offline threechilliman

I’ve never been on a cruise..but loads of mates have, and talking to them can see the attraction.

First up, there’s no requirement on the great majority of them to get “dressed up” if you don’t want to. Usually there’s a wide range of eating options, and on most of the reputable ones the food is top notch.

But the main attraction..I suspect..is that it’s a good way to see a number of different countries quickly and in comfort, and if you find a couple you really like you can go back later to sped more time.

I’ll certainly try one sometime soon, as I get older and lazier, and the trekking/rambling holidays I usually do become less attractive to me.

I do one every couple of years as they make a nice change from other types of holiday. What you've said above is spot on and you can make the holiday as busy or relaxing as you want. I'd avoid any with several days at sea which is very dull, much better a new port each day.

Online mr.bluesky

Basketball- a sport played by 7ft tall blokes  who take it in turns to run up the court and score a basket until one team opens up a lead and wins .

American wrestling,  they have a cheek to put it on a sports channel when it's actually poorly choreographed pantomime.

Offline I like natural boobs

Knicker sniffing. There must be I'm market for it with all the women selling used underwear but it's never appealed to me.

Offline Ghost89

Basketball- a sport played by 7ft tall blokes  who take it in turns to run up the court and score a basket until one team opens up a lead and wins .

American wrestling,  they have a cheek to put it on a sports channel when it's actually poorly choreographed pantomime.

I’d have to partly disagree there with American wrestling being badly choreographed. If they were doing it for real there would obviously be so many injuries. It takes real skill to avoid the potential damage they could inflict on each other. I know injuries can and do occur but it’s only the same as in a movie.

Online mr.bluesky

I’d have to partly disagree there with American wrestling being badly choreographed. If they were doing it for real there would obviously be so many injuries. It takes real skill to avoid the potential damage they could inflict on each other. I know injuries can and do occur but it’s only the same as in a movie.

True ,but when you watch a bout you can see a mile off whats about to happen next. There is no doubt times when things can go wrong and a wrestler can get injured but at the end of the day all the moves are choreographed in advance and the outcome is pre determined. You wouldn't pay to watch a football match if all the moves were choreographed before hand and the result pre determined. Wrestling is not a sport it is like a pantomime with a goodie and a baddie. How many ex wrestlers go into movies because let's be honest they already have some acting ability
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 11:54:47 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Ghost89

True ,but when you watch a bout you can see a mile off whats about to happen next. There is no doubt times when things can go wrong and a wrestler can get injured but at the end of the day all the moves are choreographed in advance and the outcome is pre determined. You wouldn't pay to watch a football match if all the moves were choreographed before hand and the result pre determined. Wrestling is not a sport it is like a pantomime with a goodie and a baddie.

I wouldn’t pay to watch football. They’re a set of over paid over privileged self obsessed ponces. I’d  sooner watch the acting in WWE than the acting footballers do when the get fouled! At least the reason is logical when a wrestler is rolling around! But yes it’s not a sport and is pure pantomime.

Offline The0neAnd0nly

- The Sopranos
- NFL (especially in recent years when it's been shoved down our throats in the UK)
- Black Friday

Just my opinion before you attack!!  :lol:

Online mr.bluesky

- The Sopranos
- NFL (especially in recent years when it's been shoved down our throats in the UK)
- Black Friday

I agree about NFL, games that last about 3 hours or more but only have about 10. minutes of any action. To me it just looks like a bunch of guys in crash helmets and padding running into one another.
I'm sure it has quite a lot of followers in this country but you are right about it being constantly rammed down our throat's. It even has its own dedicated channel on Sky ffs  :dash:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 06:49:30 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline leighdelamere

Who are the Smyths Mr bluesky, surely you mean the mighty Smiths arguably the finest band to have emerged from Manchester (actually Salford).

There is a Smiths tribute band called The Smyths - maybe that's who he meant, surely not the original!

Online mr.bluesky

I wouldn’t pay to watch football. They’re a set of over paid over privileged self obsessed ponces. I’d  sooner watch the acting in WWE than the acting footballers do when the get fouled! At least the reason is logical when a wrestler is rolling around! But yes it’s not a sport and is pure pantomime.

Your right about modern day footballers :thumbsup: that's why I much prefer watching Rugby nowdays. Your modern day footballer wouldn't last 2 minutes on a Rugby pitch. Probably have to go off with a dislocated Alice band  :sarcastic: I'm surprised more  footballers don't go into acting when they've finished playing after all they've had years of practice play acting on the pitch.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 06:52:45 am by mr.bluesky »

Online mr.bluesky

There is a Smiths tribute band called The Smyths - maybe that's who he meant, surely not the original!

:D both. A Smiths song came on the radio in my car the other day called "there is a light that never goes out" which contains the line " if a ten ton truck kills both of us to die by your side well the pleasure , the privilege is mine.I thought that's a cheerful tune, just the thing to cheer me up as I was driving along the motorway surrounded by ten ton trucks   :scare:
Add that to his song about girlfriend in a coma, and "I was happy but I'm miserable now". I bet he's a right laugh on a night out at the pub. :sarcastic:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2024, 07:06:34 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Blackpool Rock

- The Sopranos
- Black Friday

Never quite saw the attraction of NFL but it's also on quite late so i'm normally asleep by then anyway
Black Friday is just crap they couldn't sell so try to generate mass interest and a bunch of morons then fight each other to buy it, i'm not prepared to climb over someone else just to get something whether I want it or not.

Can't remember whether I saw trailers for The Sopranos or perhaps just a few bits channel surfing but I remember thinking what a load of shit until I woke up one day and it was in the middle of an episode. I couldn't be bothered turning the TV off but there was something funny that happened and I sort of got hooked, must have been series or "Season" 2 or 3

Offline Blackpool Rock

Avocado  :vomit:

Fucking vile stuff and seems to have been popular now for at least 20 or 25 years, I was hoping it was just a passing Fad but apparently not, seemingly always on menus that I look at and think "Hmmm fuck all here that I want"

Online mr.bluesky

Never quite saw the attraction of NFL but it's also on quite late so i'm normally asleep by then anyway

If your not you'll soon will be  :D

Offline berksboy

Avocado  :vomit:

Fucking vile stuff and seems to have been popular now for at least 20 or 25 years, I was hoping it was just a passing Fad but apparently not, seemingly always on menus that I look at and think "Hmmm fuck all here that I want"

In Mexico its called testicle fruit  :drinks:

Offline berksboy

Your right about modern day footballers :thumbsup: that's why I much prefer watching Rugby nowdays. Your modern day footballer wouldn't last 2 minutes on a Rugby pitch. Probably have to go off with a dislocated Alice band  :sarcastic: I'm surprised more  footballers don't go into acting when they've finished playing after all they've had years of practice play acting on the pitch.

Back in the 70s plays like Allan Clarke took professional pride in riding a hard tackle , nows days they go down at the slightese touch sometimes before  ! Its a game for professional cheats.

Offline sir wanksalot

- The Sopranos
- Black Friday

1000% agree about Sopranos. I decided to binge watch it a few months ago as it was regularly coming out in all these polls as one of the best TV series ever made.

I gave it every chance. I invested time watching 3 seasons of it. It was pretty crap. One dimensional characters. Not enough action considering the source material and more of a focus on Tony seeing the shrink.

Online dexpunt

1000% agree about Sopranos. I decided to binge watch it a few months ago as it was regularly coming out in all these polls as one of the best TV series ever made.

I gave it every chance. I invested time watching 3 seasons of it. It was pretty crap. One dimensional characters. Not enough action considering the source material and more of a focus on Tony seeing the shrink.

I would agree with you..........but then we would both be wrong!

Offline catweazle

- Black Friday

Long before the idea crossed the Atlantic,  l was living in Nevada.  On my first Black Friday, a colleague said you really must go to the mall  in the early hours to grab the bargains.

I was dubious, but went out at 2am.  It was bloody freezing!. The streets were  deserted, and I thought I'd been had.  When j got to the mall, the car park was totally full. 

When i eventually got parked, inside,  was like the middle of the day.  In some stores some items were  timed (big screen TVs at 3.30 etc) ans people had literally brought  camp beds and were  sleeping in the aisles  next to the item they wanted, waiting for the release time.

Offline The0neAnd0nly

- The Sopranos
- Black Friday

I should probably explain that there's a direct correlation between things I much prefer over the above 3 which clearly influenced my answers

- The Wire - so much better then The Sopranos. Better characters, storyline, covered this on the films and TV thread before

- NBA - I know someone posted this here but I'm a massive fan of it always have been. I can't watch it as much anymore now though as the 4th quarter lasts 30 minutes instead of 12 due to all the time outs, adverts etc. Similar to NFL in this regard

- Being tortured with pliers and screws forced into my eyes - prefer this over any kind of Bank Holiday/ New Year sale.. but Black Friday is definitely the worse. Shows the worst side of humanity with people trampling over each other just to save a few quid

Offline ulstersubbie

:D both. A Smiths song came on the radio in my car the other day called "there is a light that never goes out" which contains the line " if a ten ton truck kills both of us to die by your side well the pleasure , the privilege is mine.I thought that's a cheerful tune, just the thing to cheer me up as I was driving along the motorway surrounded by ten ton trucks   :scare:
Add that to his song about girlfriend in a coma, and "I was happy but I'm miserable now". I bet he's a right laugh on a night out at the pub. :sarcastic:

A lot of Smiths tunes are ironic, humorous, admittedly very dark at times but lyrically brilliant. For me personally in the decade that was the 80's with bands like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet etc, Morrissey and co were a breath of fresh air and left us with four albums of pure genius. The Queen Is Dead arguably my favourite of the four.

Offline ulstersubbie

I never got The Sopranos either, always fancied Lorraine Bracco who played the shrink.

Offline The0neAnd0nly

I never got The Sopranos either, always fancied Lorraine Bracco who played the shrink.

And also Ray Liottas (RIP) wife in Goodfellas  :thumbsup:

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
True ,but when you watch a bout you can see a mile off whats about to happen next. There is no doubt times when things can go wrong and a wrestler can get injured but at the end of the day all the moves are choreographed in advance and the outcome is pre determined. You wouldn't pay to watch a football match if all the moves were choreographed before hand and the result pre determined. Wrestling is not a sport it is like a pantomime with a goodie and a baddie. How many ex wrestlers go into movies because let's be honest they already have some acting ability
TBH American wrestling showed us how it should be done. There was some fantastic British wrestlers like Adrian Street who is retired, but still alive, who is now known as the man who ended Savile's wrestling career, but he was incredibly skilled and made even more remarkable for being a short bloke. Where it went downhill was people like Big Daddy and Giant Haysticks doing belly flops against each other. Yes, American wrestling is scripted, heavily choreographed and even planned months in adavance, but that doesn't detract from the characters created or even the fact that it is a display of athletic ability like all sports; I think the fact it is fake is a moot point as it is basically theatre.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator

I disagree I think The Sopranos is every bit as good as Breaking Bad which gets regarded as one of the greatest shows. It is best viewed like a soap opera rather than a crime or gangster show. It's remarkable for a few reasons:
*It put HBO on the map along with Sex & the city and Curb in their golden years - before HBO was largely crap TV movies and failed sitcoms.
* James Gandalfini giving a masterclass in acting and spotting the cameo by people who were in Goodfellas like Billly Bats and Spider.
* It was an incredibly violent show with a lot of very strong language which was rare for the time and paved the way for other 18 rated shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire.
* The characters are far from one dimensional. It's easy to take for granted, but as a concept a tough gangster talking to a shrink about his martial problems and relationship with his son is a ground breaking paradox and it's never been done better since; or the concept of these working class Jersey gangsters trying to fit in with high society like Tony's son going to private school or the gangsters trying not to forget their Italian roots.
* The music is from the writer's personal collection and it fits in beautifully. It feels like a labour of love.
* The dialogue is extremely well-written, not necessarily quotable, but has a punchy rhythm to it which I've only seen in a few works since: David Mamet, early The Simpsons, Dennis Potter, early Scorcese / Schrader and possibly Jimmy McGovern.

I do get that looking at it now it's easy to see what the fuss was about. Also it probably went on two seasons too long, but you can apply the same logic to any long-running series from the 90s.

Offline sir wanksalot

I disagree I think The Sopranos is every bit as good as Breaking Bad which gets regarded as one of the greatest shows. It is best viewed like a soap opera rather than a crime or gangster show. It's remarkable for a few reasons:
*It put HBO on the map along with Sex & the city and Curb in their golden years - before HBO was largely crap TV movies and failed sitcoms.
* James Gandalfini giving a masterclass in acting and spotting the cameo by people who were in Goodfellas like Billly Bats and Spider.
* It was an incredibly violent show with a lot of very strong language which was rare for the time and paved the way for other 18 rated shows like Breaking Bad and The Wire.
* The characters are far from one dimensional. It's easy to take for granted, but as a concept a tough gangster talking to a shrink about his martial problems and relationship with his son is a ground breaking paradox and it's never been done better since; or the concept of these working class Jersey gangsters trying to fit in with high society like Tony's son going to private school or the gangsters trying not to forget their Italian roots.
* The music is from the writer's personal collection and it fits in beautifully. It feels like a labour of love.
* The dialogue is extremely well-written, not necessarily quotable, but has a punchy rhythm to it which I've only seen in a few works since: David Mamet, early The Simpsons, Dennis Potter, early Scorcese / Schrader and possibly Jimmy McGovern.

I do get that looking at it now it's easy to see what the fuss was about. Also it probably went on two seasons too long, but you can apply the same logic to any long-running series from the 90s.

I've given it enough of my time to reach a judgement and will respectfully disagree with you.

Two of the best mafia series/films I've ever seen are Gomorrah and Suburra (to a lesser degree). They're both subtitled which puts a lot of people off from watching them though.

Offline Spunky34

• Ban Countdown
  • Reviews: 11
I disagree I think The Sopranos is every bit as good as Breaking Bad which gets regarded as one of the greatest shows.

I should have put Breaking Bad on my “things I think are overrated” comment earlier in the thread.  It’s a perfect example for me - it is so often put at the very top of “Greatest TV show” lists and although I think it’s good, there are many other things I’d put ahead of it.  The final 2 series weren’t a patch on the first 3 and had they left it there (I have a feeling there were significant changes in the production company between series 3 and 4), I would hold it in higher regard.

Couldn’t get into the Sopranos, although I only tried to watch it years and years after it had finished, by which time it felt quite dated to me. 

Offline mikecee

TBH American wrestling showed us how it should be done. There was some fantastic British wrestlers like Adrian Street who is retired, but still alive, who is now known as the man who ended Savile's wrestling career, but he was incredibly skilled and made even more remarkable for being a short bloke. Where it went downhill was people like Big Daddy and Giant Haysticks doing belly flops against each other. Yes, American wrestling is scripted, heavily choreographed and even planned months in adavance, but that doesn't detract from the characters created or even the fact that it is a display of athletic ability like all sports; I think the fact it is fake is a moot point as it is basically theatre.

Adrian Street died in July last year.