Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Indian Moon mission  (Read 1780 times)

Offline Blackpool Rock

India becomes only the 4th nation to successfully "Soft land" on the moon  :drinks:

This comes days after the Russian mission to land in the same area near the South pole failed  :sarcastic:

External Link/Members Only

Offline RadioKid

Does this mean the UK can stop sending Aid to India now?

Offline Corus Boy

Errrrr...

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), which distributes aid, sent India £33.4 million in aid cash in 2022/23. But the FCDO's annual report, published this week, reveals that the total is set to rise to £57 million in 2024/25.

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Nothing to do with it.

Nobody should need reminding about the rules.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:14:00 pm by daviemac »

Offline RandomGuy99

An amazing achievement. Well done India.

And supposedly at a budget price, which I'm not 100% convinced of, but it's their money so I don't care.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 02:40:09 pm by RandomGuy99 »

Offline lewisjones23

Without getting too political

The UK sends out aid to various countries to try and increase or maintain its influence on a global scale

Personally speaking, I think countries should concenrate their resources on lower level problems than trying to reach the moon, effectively just a vanity project

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
Without getting too political

The UK sends out aid to various countries to try and increase or maintain its influence on a global scale

Personally speaking, I think countries should concenrate their resources on lower level problems than trying to reach the moon, effectively just a vanity project
Yet again why the UK send out aid or how other countries use their resources has nothing to do with the subject of this thread.

The place to discuss politics is here - https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?topic=339931.0 - and only on that thread.

No more warnings.

Offline mr.bluesky

I mentioned this on July 15th on the " grumpy old men what pisses you off today thread"  :angry:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 04:03:56 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Blackpool Rock

Always worth reading a thread to the end before posting  :unknown:

Offline badsin

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 04:12:41 pm by badsin »

Offline standardpostage

Mooning used to be popular at one time !

Not so much nowadays.

Offline scutty brown

So the Indians have achieved what the Russians currently can't.
Another poke in the eye for Putin

strangely enough the guy in charge of the Russian attempt was taken ill yesterday and rushed to hospital..............

Offline Blackpool Rock

strangely enough the guy in charge of the Russian attempt was taken ill yesterday and rushed to hospital..............
Well the space craft didn't make a soft landing and I doubt his fall out of the hospital window will either  :hi:

Offline StingRay

Well the space craft didn't make a soft landing and I doubt his fall out of the hospital window will either  :hi:

Niet, newcomer will get him!

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator

Regardless of anything else it's a massive achievement and who knows what good it will do for their industrial credibility.

Offline StingRay

Newcomer will get him first!  :hi:

Offline timsussex

Regardless of anything else it's a massive achievement and who knows what good it will do for their industrial credibility.

Hope so; some of my pension SIPP is invested in India shares (via a managed fund) Its up 30% in 2 years   :D

Offline JontyR

And for all the talk about trying to get kids involved with Science and Engineering this will blow the doors off in comparison to any other activity.

Offline maxQ

You can believe that India is ahead of Russia in Space or Aerospace tech, if you want, but its just not true

IMO right now it ranks as

US
Russia
ESA/China
India
The rest

Things are getting very interesting in space exploration, so expect change in the next decade

Offline RedKettle

You can believe that India is ahead of Russia in Space or Aerospace tech, if you want, but its just not true

IMO right now it ranks as

US
Russia
ESA/China
India
The rest

Things are getting very interesting in space exploration, so expect change in the next decade

His statement was a simple fact that is correct, whatever your opinion on a different question.

Offline Jonestown

How long before the conspiracy theorists step up to claim it's a hoax shot on a Bollywood back lot and on location in the Indian Himalayan Region ?

Offline RedKettle

How long before the conspiracy theorists step up to claim it's a hoax shot on a Bollywood back lot and on location in the Indian Himalayan Region ?
Are you sure it was not!!??

:D :D

Offline badsin

If three other countries have Landed in the moon, since the USA first laned in 1969, have the found anything the yanks left behind.....moon buggy etc?

Offline RedKettle

If three other countries have Landed in the moon, since the USA first laned in 1969, have the found anything the yanks left behind.....moon buggy etc?

The moon is pretty big!  And India have just landed in an area never landed on before.

Offline mills_and_bhuna

A packet of cream crackers and a slice of Wensleydale.
I have my suspicions on who left that

Offline catweazle

Detritus left behind is regularly picked up on camera  from orbiting craft.   Additionally   one of tha Apollo missions placed mirrors flat on the surface, which are then used to bounce  laser beams off, to give highly accurate distance measurements.

Offline PepeMAGA

Had there been any kind of claims of land ownership made on the moon? Moonbases aside, some may want to mine it

Offline mr.bluesky

Had there been any kind of claims of land ownership made on the moon? Moonbases aside, some may want to mine it

That will be only a matter of time before that happens.  China are talking about putting another man on the moon, so you can bet China USA and Russia will be making claims over mining rights in the future.

Offline JontyR

That will be only a matter of time before that happens.  China are talking about putting another man on the moon, so you can bet China USA and Russia will be making claims over mining rights in the future.
Well India getting to the South Pole is critical in this regard (and we saw Russia's interest). The first thing they'll be wanting to mine is water which they reckon could be available in that region. Not only for potential drinking but for the ability to split it for fuel and oxygen its worth maybe more than its weight in gold considering the cost to get it there otherwise

Offline PepeMAGA

Well India getting to the South Pole is critical in this regard (and we saw Russia's interest). The first thing they'll be wanting to mine is water which they reckon could be available in that region. Not only for potential drinking but for the ability to split it for fuel and oxygen its worth maybe more than its weight in gold considering the cost to get it there otherwise
Weird that there's water there in any substantial amount.

Offline mr.bluesky

They reckon it's in the bottom of some of the deep craters where sunlight isn't able to get to it.

Offline maxQ

AFAIK countries can't clam ownership of the Moon or other Planets, but nothing stops private people or companies claiming ownership, IMO you own something if you can sell it, there was some dude selling land on the Moon a while back, but this only works as a joke, you send him £100 and he gives you the "deeds" to a million acres of the Moon, a nice joke present for Christmas. in the end, all power flows from the barrel of a gun

Offline mr.bluesky

AFAIK countries can't clam ownership of the Moon or other Planets, but nothing stops private people or companies claiming ownership, IMO you own something if you can sell it, there was some dude selling land on the Moon a while back, but this only works as a joke, you send him £100 and he gives you the "deeds" to a million acres of the Moon, a nice joke present for Christmas. in the end, all power flows from the barrel of a gun

£100 for fake deeds of the moon  :scare: that's an expensive impractical present.

Offline JontyR

There's a school of thought which suggests that most of our water came from comets etc.

Offline mr.bluesky

There's a school of thought which suggests that most of our water came from comets etc.

True, and they say the moon formed after a large celestial  body about the size of Mars collided with the earth so any water present at that time may have transferred to the rocks which went on to form the moon
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 11:37:36 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Marmalade

There’s some impressive footage here though you may want to scroll forward to the highlights.
I wonder where the cameras are?

Internationally it was described as an exceptionally smooth landing. I imagine there must be pretty impressive tech to slow it down sufficiently to do that.

Offline mr.bluesky

Internationally it was described as an exceptionally smooth landing. I imagine there must be pretty impressive tech to slow it down sufficiently to do that.

Unlike the Russian Luna-25 vehicle  :D
I'm surprised Russia didn't try and sabotage India's attempt to land a rover on the moon. :unknown:
I bet the project leaders of the Russian attempt have already "accidentally" started to fall out of tall building windows  :scare:
If not a word of advice " don't take any internal flights for the rest of your days "  :scare:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 12:00:50 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline scutty brown

Unlike the Russian Luna-25 vehicle  :D
I'm surprised Russia didn't try and sabotage India's attempt to land a rover on the moon. :unknown:
I bet the project leaders of the Russian attempt have already "accidentally" started to fall out of tall building windows  :scare:
If not a word of advice " don't take any internal flights for the rest of your days "  :scare:

The lead scientist was taken to hospital the day after the crash

Offline PepeMAGA

Yeah I mean you get icy comets etc, but seems odd it collecting at the pole of a non with no atmosphere... To me anyway

Offline Blackpool Rock

Yeah I mean you get icy comets etc, but seems odd it collecting at the pole of a non with no atmosphere... To me anyway
The moon used to have an atmosphere

Offline timsussex

the idea is that they hit everywhere but the moon doesnt have enough gravity to keep an atmosphere so any water 'boiled off' into space whereas at the bottom of crevices hidden from the sun at the pole there MAY still be ice.

Not sure what the chances are but I reckon slim, however finding water would be a game changer so worth the gamble

Offline PepeMAGA

the idea is that they hit everywhere but the moon doesnt have enough gravity to keep an atmosphere so any water 'boiled off' into space whereas at the bottom of crevices hidden from the sun at the pole there MAY still be ice.

Not sure what the chances are but I reckon slim, however finding water would be a game changer so worth the gamble
Ah fair enough.

Offline RadioKid

Nothing to do with it.

Nobody should need reminding about the rules.

Apologies. I'm aware that this is a key talking point due to the abject poverty across most of India and the controversial nature of many Indian vanity projects, so thought it wass relavent - but I'll stick to any other threads you have recommended. Thanks

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
Apologies. I'm aware that this is a key talking point due to the abject poverty across most of India and the controversial nature of many Indian vanity projects, so thought it wass relavent - but I'll stick to any other threads you have recommended. Thanks
You just can't help yourself can you, despite being told that political statements have no place on this thread you have raised new points you want to make.

Offline bestofthebest

It is very naive to bring the topic of UK aid (which India never asked for) with space endeavours. Successful space launches increases the profile of ISRO. ISRO has launched 239 foreign satellites of 28 countries so far (as of April 2023). So it knows how to make money too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 09:27:53 pm by bestofthebest »

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
It is very naive to bring the topic of UK aid (which India never asked for) with space endeavours. Successful space launches increases the profile of ISRO. ISRO has launched 239 foreign satellites of 28 countries so far (as of April 2023). So it knows how to make money too.
I would say it's more than naive of you to continue the political theme when a moderator has made it perfectly clear such discussions are only allowed on the dedicated politics thread.

Offline Roger111

Well done to all people involved.

Offline myothernameis

Well done to all people involved.

Next mission, lets head to the sun  :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

Offline mr.bluesky

Next mission, lets head to the sun  :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

They already have.
They have launched another rocket on Saturday carrying Aditya-L1 a satellite which will orbit and study the sun. It will be positioned at a distance called lagrange point 1 an area that lies between the earth and the sun where the gravitational pull of both cancell each other out. The main mission function is to observe the Suns upper atmosphere, solar wind particles and the Suns magnetic field.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 06:34:12 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Marmalade

They already have.
They have launched another rocket on Saturday carrying Aditya-L1 a satellite which will orbit and study the sun. It will be positioned at a distance called lagrange point 1 an area that lies between the earth and the sun where the gravitational pull of both cancell each other out. The main mission function is to observe the Suns upper atmosphere, solar wind particles and the Suns magnetic field.

Good luck to them. It sounds pretty technical but it seems like it’s pushing boundaries on several fronts. Big solar flares, one of the things it may help to predict, can cause massive damage on earth. But it’s like tsunami prediction: will governments take appropriate safety measures given the knowledge?

Lagrange points are exploited in science fiction but the maths (on bigger scales) look enticing. The James Webb Telescope uses one as well. Maybe they could be used for space colonisation.

I love this stuff that pushes the frontiers of knowledge. Cool.