Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: Ready brek porridge: the healthiest cereal  (Read 1293 times)

Offline puntingking

I saw a recent health documentary on TV about healthy supermarket foods. The documentary named that the ready brek breakfast porridge cereal is the healthiest cereal that supermarkets sell in the UK.
So I started buying it on the back of watching that documentary and after reading the box I can see why as it says it contains many important vitamins and minerals that the body needs to function such as vitamin b12, vitamin D, folic acid, calcium and other ones.
Also, ready brek porridge has no sugar. The sugar content comes from the milk when added to the porridge.

What your favourite breakfast cereals? And anyone on here who regularly eat the ready brek porridge one?  :hi:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:59:00 am by puntingking »

Online Blackpool Rock

But isn't Ready Brek basically just Porridge  :unknown:

If so then what's in or not in Ready Brek that's different to any other standard porridge oats  :unknown:

I've always thought that brands like Ready Brek / Quaker oats / Scott's porridge oats are basically 4 times the price for the same thing as you can buy non branded  :unknown:

I do eat porridge a couple of times a week with a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it and add a bit of different flavour, A 1Kg bag of "Simply" Wholegrain rolled oats  from Lidl is only 75p  :thumbsup:

Online Strawberry

• Service Provider

If so then what's in or not in Ready Brek that's different to any other standard porridge oats  :unknown:

I've always thought that brands like Ready Brek / Quaker oats / Scott's porridge oats are basically 4 times the price for the same thing as you can buy non branded  :unknown:

I do eat porridge a couple of times a week with a teaspoon of honey to sweeten it and add a bit of different flavour, A 1Kg bag of "Simply" Wholegrain rolled oats  from Lidl is only 75p  :thumbsup:

Yes good old porridge oats.

I make a savoury mix oats, egg whites, a whole egg, variety of chopped tomatoes, spinach, flaxseed, peppers, onion, chilli sauce. Scramble, cook in microwave.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 08:18:20 am by Strawberry »

Offline davidgood

Yes good old porridge oats.

I make a savoury mix oats, egg whites, a whole egg, variety of chopped tomatoes, spinach, flaxseed, peppers, onion, chilli sauce. Scramble, cook in microwave.

Is that for breakfast or another meal later in the day?

I have just finished my bowl of cheap supermarket porridge, sexed up with cinamon and blueberries.

Regards,

davidgood

Online Strawberry

• Service Provider
Is that for breakfast or another meal later in the day?

I have just finished my bowl of cheap supermarket porridge, sexed up with cinamon and blueberries.

Regards,

davidgood

Breakfast.

Offline Markus

I like two papaya and weetabix in the morning  :hi:

Offline Paris69

Breakfast.
Porridge every day of the year.
Agave Nectar to sweeten

Sometimes also have a James Hunt breakfast too.......as he was quoted as saying
 'Sex - The breakfast of champions' ....
Banned reason: Idiot fantasist
Banned by: daviemac

Offline puntingking

There is porridge and there is porridge. Quaker oats and other brands are not healthier than ready brek. They have more sugar content and less vitamins in their oats than ready brek oats.
Ready brek porridge oats are also not the healthiest oats either but they are the healthiest you can buy in any UK supermarkets according to the documentary I watched.

Offline puntingking

Although ready brek is still really good for you still. If you have ready brek every day or even a few times a week you won't go far wrong.  ;) :thumbsup:

Online Blackpool Rock

There is porridge and there is porridge. Quaker oats and other brands are not healthier than ready brek. They have more sugar content and less vitamins in their oats than ready brek oats.
Ready brek porridge oats are also not the healthiest oats either but they are the healthiest you can buy in any UK supermarkets according to the documentary I watched.
Yeah sorry I was really lumping Ready Brek in with Quaker etc as all being expensive branded items and as you elude to some of them have bad things added such as sugar etc.
What I was asking or trying to compare was how Ready Brek was any different or better than my Basics Lidl porridge oats or whether it's just a more expensive way of selling the same thing in a fancy box with advertising etc  :unknown:

I have previously heard that rolled oats are better than non rolled oats but not sure why as the rolling is just squashing it under an industrial roller, in any case the Lidl ones are rolled

Online timsussex

porridge is 'orrible stuff - tarting it up with goodies is putting lipstick on a pig

while it may explain why the first minster is so miserable but how come the Scots are so unhealthy ?

Offline Paris69

porridge is 'orrible stuff - tarting it up with goodies is putting lipstick on a pig

while it may explain why the first minster is so miserable but how come the Scots are so unhealthy ?

Maybe's one or two more factors impacting on the health of the Jocks, possibly? 
Banned reason: Idiot fantasist

Offline Followyourdick

Agree, I don’t like it either.
Weetabix, shreddies, shredded wheat, low in salt and sugar, high in fibre.
Some breakfast cereals are very high in both sugar and salt and I avoid them.

Online Blackpool Rock

I've always thought Weetabix was a bit like porridge or certainly if you like / don't like one then you will / won't like the other.
As for Shredded wheat it's like eating cardboard  :vomit:

Online george r

weetabix but with hot milk and sugar , its shit with cold milk..

Offline FLYING BLUE

If I remember right, Ready-Brek was Rolled Oats that had been pre-cooked, pre-gelatinized, then dried, meaning that they could very quickly be reconstituted for breakfast in a hurry. 15 mins for porridge, 2 mins for RB - tasted bugger all like real porridge as I recall :(

Offline Followyourdick

I cut sugar out a while ago also from tea and it’s surprising how quickly you don’t miss it.

Offline puntingking

I've always thought Weetabix was a bit like porridge or certainly if you like / don't like one then you will / won't like the other.
As for Shredded wheat it's like eating cardboard  :vomit:

Weterbex is still healthy for you I guess. It's just not as good for you as porridge but it's still good for you compared to other cereals.
Its still rich in fibre and vitamin b12 and you get your calcium from the milk so it's still plenty of goodness for a breakfast.

Offline puntingking

Especially in the winter. Who wants cold cereal in British winters, not me!   :thumbsdown:

Offline puntingking

If I remember right, Ready-Brek was Rolled Oats that had been pre-cooked, pre-gelatinized, then dried, meaning that they could very quickly be reconstituted for breakfast in a hurry. 15 mins for porridge, 2 mins for RB - tasted bugger all like real porridge as I recall :(

It takes 2 mins to cook in the microwave then you ready to eat a bowl of hot porridge  :drinks:

Offline WARSZAWA16

Haven't had cereal or porridge for breakfast for many years as I don't really like a lot of milk. Have 2 slices of toast for breakfast - 1 with Marmite and one with jam.   

Online mr.bluesky

Perhaps it's the deep fried Mars Bars washed down with Irn Bru  :unknown:

Offline Yankee21

Offline David1970

Breakfast is porridge with small amount of honey, very health, nutritional and taste great, also strong coffee to kick start me in the morning. Never feel hungry until lunch time.
When abroad like a continental breakfast, light and taste.

Online willie loman

middle class scots eat porridge, as do the middle class in england, its the only food that went on the first ascent of everest, and the last,

Offline Lou2019

• Service Provider
I saw a recent health documentary on TV about healthy supermarket foods. The documentary named that the ready brek breakfast porridge cereal is the healthiest cereal that supermarkets sell in the UK.
So I started buying it on the back of watching that documentary and after reading the box I can see why as it says it contains many important vitamins and minerals that the body needs to function such as vitamin b12, vitamin D, folic acid, calcium and other ones.
Also, ready brek porridge has no sugar. The sugar content comes from the milk when added to the porridge.

What your favourite breakfast cereals? And anyone on here who regularly eat the ready brek porridge one?  :hi:

half a dozen cups of coffee and a banana  :thumbsup:

Offline lamboman

2 double espressos enough to get you through any day.
Banned reason: Shit stirrer and blocking moderator's PMs

Offline DrGFreeman

Ive run two marathons, in both cases fuelled by a big bowl of porridge and 2x bananas
when I ran berlin I took the oats with me to be sure I had some
great stuff

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

I have porridge made with Quaker Oats in the morning. I prefer them to Scot’s Oats and I’ve tried Aldi, Lidl and Sainsbury’s own brand porridge oats and IMHO they’re not a patch on Quaker Oats. I like the slow release energy that they give so I don’t feel hungry by 11am, I can last until lunchtime without snacking or grazing.

I’d rather have a fry up though, but I don’t have time and my waistline doesn’t approve!

Online scutty brown

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:22:21 pm by scutty brown »

Offline David1970

2 double espressos enough to get you through any day.

Breakfast is for wimps

Hidden Image/Members Only

Next year you will be a millionaire 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 07:20:34 pm by David1970 »

Online timsussex

Samuel Johnson, in his Dictionary of the English Language, set forth his definition. of the word oats: "A grain, which in England is generally given. to horses, but in Scotland supports the people."

Offline David1970

Samuel Johnson, in his Dictionary of the English Language, set forth his definition. of the word oats: "A grain, which in England is generally given. to horses, but in Scotland supports the people."

Oats the food of thoroughbreds, not ignorant historic figures who don’t understand nutrition.

Online Trenlover

tin of sardines for breakfast

1 tin with bones contains untold nutrients

Offline fredhiggins

Real porridge oats over Ready Brek as RB is too pre-processed and releases its sugar too quickly. Porridge oats (the larger the better - try Mornflake or Flahavan's jumbo oats) take longer to digest so are better for you. Fuller for longer, lower blood sugar spikes etc . Ready Brek is too digestible.

I eat raw porridge oats with greek yoghurt and  a trace of honey or golden syrup every day.

Online Blackpool Rock

tin of sardines for breakfast

1 tin with bones contains untold nutrients
Had Sardines on toast a couple of days ago with a splash of vinegar; Worcester sauce and chilli sauce, very nice for my tea but I couldn't consider it for breakfast.
It's a very fishy fish and I can still taste it now.

As for the bones and various other innards or "Fish bits" as I call them the cat goes ape shit for them  :drinks:

Offline CoolTiger

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 10

What a glowing post (pun intended)

Offline paper7

Shredded Wheat - yuk, you might as well eat straw. (Covered in cow pats for flavour!)

Offline NelsonH

I reckon I've eaten about thirty thousand Shredded Wheats.

Every one on here has written "porridge" but on the Scots packet it's "porage".  Why?

Offline fredhiggins

Every one on here has written "porridge" but on the Scots packet it's "porage".  Why?
External Link/Members Only

Offline Xtro

Real porridge oats over Ready Brek as RB is too pre-processed and releases its sugar too quickly. Porridge oats (the larger the better - try Mornflake or Flahavan's jumbo oats) take longer to digest so are better for you. Fuller for longer, lower blood sugar spikes etc . Ready Brek is too digestible.

I eat raw porridge oats with greek yoghurt and  a trace of honey or golden syrup every day.

You got the right idea and well explained too.   :thumbsup:

Explained here - External Link/Members Only

Go easy on those Shredded Wheats! (See video).

« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:29:48 am by Xtro »

Online Blackpool Rock

Just looked on the net and 450g of Ready Brek is selling at £2.00 in Sainsbury though you can probably get it slightly cheaper elsewhere.

Compare that to 1Kg in Lidl for 75p for basically the same thing and Ready Brek looks to be an over priced big brand

44p/100g compared to 7.5p/100g so RB is about 6 times the price  :scare:

Online lostandfound

Had Sardines on toast a couple of days ago with a splash of vinegar; Worcester sauce and chilli sauce, very nice for my tea but I couldn't consider it for breakfast.
It's a very fishy fish and I can still taste it now.

As for the bones and various other innards or "Fish bits" as I call them the cat goes ape shit for them  :drinks:

I struggle with the taste of "fishy fish". I have no problem with the like of haddock, prawns, salmon & Tuna (and Cod - but it's often really bland), and I read how good fish such as sardines and mackerel and herring are, but can't bring myself to eat them.

Offline puntingking

You got the right idea and well explained too.   :thumbsup:

Explained here - External Link/Members Only

Go easy on those Shredded Wheats! (See video).

Ready brek is still great for those added vitamins such as b12, d and folic acid so I will still be eating a bowl every morning still  :hi:

Offline puntingking

Just looked on the net and 450g of Ready Brek is selling at £2.00 in Sainsbury though you can probably get it slightly cheaper elsewhere.

Compare that to 1Kg in Lidl for 75p for basically the same thing and Ready Brek looks to be an over priced big brand

44p/100g compared to 7.5p/100g so RB is about 6 times the price  :scare:

Sometimes tesco sell it for £1,50 for tesco club card users.

Offline Romeo Sensini

I like my porridge on a weekend with honey. Just recently, a couple of times a week, I've started doing the breakfast in a jar thing, prepped the night before: - approx 40g of oats, soak in a bit of milk, stir in a few seeds. Then fill up with plain yoghurt, some honey and then some frozen berries. Pop the lid on and leave it in the fridge. Bloody lovely. You can mix it up with other things, just experiment.

Offline puntingking

I like my porridge on a weekend with honey. Just recently, a couple of times a week, I've started doing the breakfast in a jar thing, prepped the night before: - approx 40g of oats, soak in a bit of milk, stir in a few seeds. Then fill up with plain yoghurt, some honey and then some frozen berries. Pop the lid on and leave it in the fridge. Bloody lovely. You can mix it up with other things, just experiment.

Sounds great and my mouth is watering.  :thumbsup:

Online Strawberry

• Service Provider
Ready brek is still great for those added vitamins such as b12, d and folic acid so I will still be eating a bowl every morning still  :hi:

So is food and an excess of said vitamins doesn't usually bring benefits.

Corn flakes with added....... because it wouldn't be worth eating them otherwise.

Offline Malvolio

Bacon and fried egg sandwich is the best breakfast - only a weekend treat for me though.