Sugar Baby?
Masaj
Shemales

Author Topic: The difference between caffeine free and decaffeinated?  (Read 544 times)

Offline puntingking

Hi all, I am trying to avoid and to limit my caffeine consumption as I am sensitive to caffeine and for my medication that I am now on making me sensitive to caffeine related foods and drinks.
So my question is, as I am a big tea and coffee drinker, what is the difference between caffeine free drinks and decaffeinated drinks?

Some teas for example states that they are caffeine free and some states that they are decaf teas?

Thanks for those who can answer this question.

Pk.  :drinks:

Offline Doc Holliday

If something says 'de-' it means it has had something removed to varying levels, but may still contain traces. If something says 'free of' it mean something which has never had that ingredient in the first place.

Not sure how that works with 'caffeine free' with coffee/tea though which is naturally present?

« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 09:52:59 am by Doc Holliday »

Offline WASA38

If something says 'de-' it means it has had something removed to varying levels, but may still contain traces. If something says 'free of' it mean something which has never had that ingredient in the first place.

Not sure how that works with 'caffeine free' with coffee/tea though which is naturally present?

This is informative : External Link/Members Only

The term 'tea' is applied to beverages other than the conventional type from Camellia sinensis. I cannot imagine that the latter could ever be caffeine-free. To me the idea of a decaffeinated tea is abhorrent.

Offline puntingking

OK. Thanks. So I saw these herbal tea bags in my local health stores and it says on the box that they are naturally caffeine free, so my guess would be 0mg of caffeine content per a mug then? The reason I ask is that decaf tea bags would have some caffeine content left over in tea bags so I want to be sure that I want to have no caffeine in the tea bags so I don't consume any.  :hi:

I will give them a quick email anyway just to be sure as I'm sure the company that supplies the tea would be able to answer my question.

Offline King Darius

Hi all, I am trying to avoid and to limit my caffeine consumption as I am sensitive to caffeine and for my medication that I am now on making me sensitive to caffeine related foods and drinks.
So my question is, as I am a big tea and coffee drinker, what is the difference between caffeine free drinks and decaffeinated drinks?

Some teas for example states that they are caffeine free and some states that they are decaf teas?

As doc holliday stated decaffeinated drinks contain traces of caffeine.

I've had to implement a similar regimen due to a medication I'm taking. Aside from limiting chocolate, I had to quit tea/coffee (sucks). Resorted to decaf Yorkshire tea, and while they're the best decaf teas out there IMO, I began getting occasional headaches. Stopped drinking them.... turns out the process to decaffeinate involves methylene chloride (used in nail varnishes and paint strippers!) Mad.

Now, I'm on Twinings Lemon & Ginger as it is naturally caffeine free. Love the stuff. I'd advise to try 'em (there's loads of different flavours – and they don't involve artificial chemical processes). Caffeine free drinks like these seem much healthier and more natural.
Banned reason: Continuing argumentative posts
Banned by: daviemac

Offline Blackpool Rock

I've had to implement a similar regimen due to a medication I'm taking. Aside from limiting chocolate, I had to quit tea/coffee (sucks). Resorted to decaf Yorkshire tea, and while they're the best decaf teas out there IMO, I began getting occasional headaches. Stopped drinking them.... turns out the process to decaffeinate involves methylene chloride (used in nail varnishes and paint strippers!) Mad.

Now, I'm on Twinings Lemon & Ginger as it is naturally caffeine free. Love the stuff. I'd advise to try 'em (there's loads of different flavours – and they don't involve artificial chemical processes). Caffeine free drinks like these seem much healthier and more natural.
I believe that headaches are a common side effect of caffeine withdrawal so it may have been that rather than any chemicals used to remove the caffeine which caused them

Offline King Darius

I believe that headaches are a common side effect of caffeine withdrawal so it may have been that rather than any chemicals used to remove the caffeine which caused them

Maybe BR, but a few in my family shared the Yorkshire decafs and gave up within a week for similar reasons (blinding headaches)... and they never quit drinking normal teas. They only had decaf Yorkshires in the evening because they didn't want to be stimulated at night. That's why I'm rather dubious about decaf stuff now – it's just not natural.

Such a shame!

Banned reason: Continuing argumentative posts

Offline puntingking

Thanks.  :hi:
I may give these lemon and ginger ones ago.

Offline RedKettle

Maybe BR, but a few in my family shared the Yorkshire decafs and gave up within a week for similar reasons (blinding headaches)... and they never quit drinking normal teas. They only had decaf Yorkshires in the evening because they didn't want to be stimulated at night. That's why I'm rather dubious about decaf stuff now – it's just not natural.

Such a shame!

I use the Tetley decaf teabags which I find really good - I was very anti decaf tea but with these I cannot tell the difference.  However I am aware that they are not free of caffeine - but i was just trying to cut down.

I do get headaches if I withdraw from caffeine.

Offline LLPunting

Welcome to the wonderful world of hot water infusions.  Like UKP you will have to do your research but there are plenty of "tasty" hot drinks that can be "natural", "organic" and "never had caffeine in".  One of my all time favourites: External Link/Members Only  *Not an ad just the most immediate link that popped in search.  You can get probably get it cheaper elsewhere and in bulk.

Offline puntingking

Welcome to the wonderful world of hot water infusions.  Like UKP you will have to do your research but there are plenty of "tasty" hot drinks that can be "natural", "organic" and "never had caffeine in".  One of my all time favourites: External Link/Members Only  *Not an ad just the most immediate link that popped in search.  You can get probably get it cheaper elsewhere and in bulk.

:hi:

Offline Gordon Bennett

I inadvertently bought some decaffeinated PG Tips tea bags once. Because I'm a tight bastard I decided to drink them. To be honest, I'm not sure I could tell much difference. I felt that any difference in taste was tolerable and in the accepted margin of variability due to how long it stewed and how much milk added. I thought they'd taste like pissy dishwater but they most definitely didn't.

Offline winkywanky

Oh man, that's a bit shit, especially if you like your coffee and tea  :(.

Have you chatted to your Doc about how imperative the avoidance of caffeine is? Must it be total, ie zero?

For example, he might say to you a couple of cups of decaf a day might be alright?

(And I'm sure you know, but plenty of other drinks contain a degree caffeine, especially some cold ones like Coke).

Offline puntingking

Oh man, that's a bit shit, especially if you like your coffee and tea  :(.

Have you chatted to your Doc about how imperative the avoidance of caffeine is? Must it be total, ie zero?

For example, he might say to you a couple of cups of decaf a day might be alright?

(And I'm sure you know, but plenty of other drinks contain a degree caffeine, especially some cold ones like Coke).

I have spoken to my doctor already and I can have decaf. But although I can have decaf I can't have have too many decaf cups of cup as they still have some caffeine content left in it.
By law decaf tea bags or anything labelled decaf including decaf coke which you can also get in the UK they may make sure the caffeine content is at least before the 2mg mark. This is a fact I recently found out which was worth knowing.  :hi:

Offline winkywanky

I have spoken to my doctor already and I can have decaf. But although I can have decaf I can't have have too many decaf cups of cup as they still have some caffeine content left in it.
By law decaf tea bags or anything labelled decaf including decaf coke which you can also get in the UK they may make sure the caffeine content is at least before the 2mg mark. This is a fact I recently found out which was worth knowing.  :hi:

Great, sounds like you are on top of this  :thumbsup:

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
This thread is really informative I like roobois redbush, I do drink the Yorkshire Tea Bedtime Brew without any issues.

Offline puntingking

This thread is really informative I like roobois redbush, I do drink the Yorkshire Tea Bedtime Brew without any issues.

I will add that to my list too. Thanks for sharing  :hi: :thumbsup:

Who knows? All these herbal teas I may prefer than my original teas I used to drink that contained caffeine.

Offline Blackpool Rock

Not shaved then  :rolleyes:  :hi:

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 28

I've tried decaff tea from PG Tips, it isn't very nice. Best sticking to fruit teas if you like them. Look out for ingredients such as chicory as it contains caffeine.

Offline puntingking

I've tried decaff tea from PG Tips, it isn't very nice. Best sticking to fruit teas if you like them. Look out for ingredients such as chicory as it contains caffeine.

:hi:

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
In addition to the above I do use decaff coffee in a variety of forms, I understand decaff coffee contains theobromine another but milder stimulant. Unfortunately some restaurants and pubs will use the excuse 'it's decaff' for a very poor preparation. Caffeine does provide a bitter quality so I sometimes blend the two in my cafetiere or moka pot.

A couple of years ago 4 litres of decaff sugar free coke per day, did leave me feeling very strange.

Offline David1970

A long time ago I used to drink at least 10 strong ups of coffee a day, I decided to give it up for3 months and got blinding headaches but worse were the stomach cramps.

Offline winkywanky

In addition to the above I do use decaff coffee in a variety of forms, I understand decaff coffee contains theobromine another but milder stimulant. Unfortunately some restaurants and pubs will use the excuse 'it's decaff' for a very poor preparation. Caffeine does provide a bitter quality so I sometimes blend the two in my cafetiere or moka pot.

A couple of years ago 4 litres of decaff sugar free coke per day, did leave me feeling very strange.

Do you know how much phosphoric acid is in 4L of Coke?

Probably enough to strip the barnacles off a small ship  :scare:.

I would hope you didn't have such a bad Coke habit for long (excuse the pun), but in general, consuming large amounts of carbonated drinks (especially containing phosphoric acid) is liable to impact on your bone density (osteoporosis).

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider

I would hope you didn't have such a bad Coke habit for long (excuse the pun), but in general, consuming large amounts of carbonated drinks (especially containing phosphoric acid) is liable to impact on your bone density (osteoporosis).

Yes I am aware, I felt so awful I did change.

Now there's a mixture of drinks some sparkling water made using Soda Stream (blast from the past), some 'pop' but not as much as back then.

I actually know quite a bit about osteoporosis and it's causes, but at the time of the excess coke drinking, there was a strong reason driving the need - now thankfully mostly resolved.

Offline winkywanky

Yes I am aware, I felt so awful I did change.

Now there's a mixture of drinks some sparkling water made using Soda Stream (blast from the past), some 'pop' but not as much as back then.

I actually know quite a bit about osteoporosis and it's causes
, but at the time of the excess coke drinking, there was a strong reason driving the need - now thankfully mostly resolved.

Poor diet has to be one of the biggest, so good on you  :thumbsup:

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider

Poor diet has to be one of the biggest, so good on you  :thumbsup:

Low bodyfat excess dieting and training.

Being too fit!

Offline winkywanky

Low bodyfat excess dieting and training.

Being too fit!

Indeed. And I think I see where you're coming from now  ;)

Offline Doc Holliday

External Link/Members Only

Offline Doc Holliday

I'm disappointed they didn't include the barnacle-cleaning hint.

:lol:

The coin cleaning is spectacular.

Offline LLPunting

I LOVE me some red bush but it's so hard to find... wait... "Dear Bic, Braun, RB, please stop..."

Offline winkywanky

Offline LLPunting

Where did the punter ask you to put it?

Offline winkywanky

It would actually make a rather good enema before anal activities.

The caffeine would have your eyes bulging out of their sockets even before anything entered, let alone the cleaning qualities  :P.

Offline BobAJobMan

I'm not a fan of decaffeinated stuff, but love redbush/roobois - after a few goes you'll get used to the taste, but don't add milk, and let it brew for a decent length of time. I add a bit of sugar to mine.

Otherwise, try herbal teas. Peppermint can be nice after a meal, and some of the berry/fruity ones are OK.
Banned reason: Claiming this site condones paedophilia, it doesn't

Offline puntingking

I'm not a fan of decaffeinated stuff, but love redbush/roobois - after a few goes you'll get used to the taste, but don't add milk, and let it brew for a decent length of time. I add a bit of sugar to mine.

Otherwise, try herbal teas. Peppermint can be nice after a meal, and some of the berry/fruity ones are OK.

I recently bought the peppermint tea and I can concur that it is nice to drink. It also has some additional health benefits that originally tea don't have.