Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Dual SIM Vs punting phone  (Read 1940 times)

Offline Analist

My mobile has two SIM slots. If I put a PAYG card in the second slot and use it to only make or receive calls, is that anonymous or does it extract profile information from thephone? I'm thinking this could be an alternative to the hassle of carrying around two phones.

Offline onelasttime

Initially a dual sim phone sounds like a good idea, but you still get both sets of messages on your phone. So, if you have a partner that has access to your phone, the messages are there - unless you delete all of the punting calls/texts

I use to use one for work and personal use - I kept on ringing people from the wrong sim!

Offline dianno

The dual sim only changes the route the data goes out of the phone to the internet when mobile. So there is only one installation of Facebook, that can see both numbers if you let it. There is only one install of WhatsApp, there is only one install of Kik. It's not the simplest of solutions to the punting phone. That solution is still ... buy a punting phone

Offline texmex

Or use some virtual number app
I use cloud sim, every month I change the number.

Whenever I am not using it, just delete the app. Messgaes sent from Cloud SIM are only visible within the cloud sim app (you still have to clear call log for outgoing calls). You can set incoming calls to ring only if the app is open. Facebook etc have no visibility to that number. App can be uninstalled when you do not need it, re-installed and restore previous purchases (and number) when you need it.

I find it more elegant now a days than punting phone as I do not have to care about being able to explain it. I am app junkie so just having another app on phone - even if discovered, will not lead to questions  :D .... just have to make sure I delete all messages and call logs from within the app as well :cool:

Offline hornypnter

personally recommend buy a cheap punting phone, saves lots of problems.

Offline sub_marine

personally recommend buy a cheap punting phone, saves lots of problems.

second that, cheap Nokia 215 from ebay , £15, wouldnt think twice about ditching it if I had to

Never called my own phone or anything to do with civvy life from it, so even if I had to drop it out the house window, and the other half found it in the garden, completely deniable

NotThePrimeMinister

Have you read this?
https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?topic=196088.msg2031047#msg2031047

A dual sim sounds like a bad idea to me. I think phones mix together texts and calls from both apps in the logs, so it's easier to forget to delete your traces. Also, what if you fat finger the wrong button and you call or text from your private number?

Apps like Hushed or Cloudsim are better for me. YMMV.
They're better because no one will realise you have this app on your phone, whereas hiding or explaining a second phone is trickier.
The main downside is that you cannot buy credit anonimously (you can with hushed if you pay via bitcoin) as you need a payment card or credit on your apple / Google account (which you top up with a card in your name).

Offline texmex

The main downside is that you cannot buy credit anonimously

Yeah, but still easier to justify rather than a punting phone. Just make sure you use one of kosher cloud-sim numbers to post some stuff to sell on gumtree or fleabay  :cool: ...... deleting messages, call records, disabling notifications, basic hygiene is the key

If your bill faces more scrutiny than that ... you probably should not risk punting. For me, my apple-id purchases just result in an email to me which no one else has access to. Credit card statements all online and i use my ccard enough that couple of pounds a month for apple store would not raise any eyebrows even if spotted

Offline tonyvgf

Don't take the risk. Seperate Sim Card and phone :thumbsup:

Offline RayGuy

I have a dual sim phone (Lenovo P2 Android) with 2 SIM slots, one with my "main" number, one a punting PAYG  sim. So 2 physical cards and numbers. You can disable either card completely or set which sends calls or messages by default.
So far so good but as has been pointed out human error can come in i.e you forget to switch over from or turn off the second SIM and call or text someone from it by mistake (or the other way round).
I have an app called Parallel Spaces installed and runs a second separate version of WhatsApp linked to my punting number in the space it creates.
There are 2 major issues which mean I would't recommend to others unless not having second phone is a high priority. Punting contact numbers are stored on the PAYG SIM but to make the second Parallel Spaces version of WhatsApp work need to be visible in my contacts so could in theory be seen by anyone going through my phone. Also can download automatically to some cars via BT
Images sent to me via the second WA are stored in a folder in the phone by default and again accessible to someone going through the phone  - need to delete them manually or risk that.

NotThePrimeMinister

If your bill faces more scrutiny than that ... you probably should not risk punting.

True. If your credit card bill gets scrutinised so much, how do you justify the cash withdrawals? :)
I was thinking more that I don't like the fact that the app provider has my real name and stores texts and logs in the cloud. I know the risk is tiny, and arguably bumping into someone I know on my way to a WG is a greater risk, but the idea that after a data hack or whatever it could be made public that Mr such and such used number xyz to contact prossies doesn't fill me with joy. Like I said, tiny risk and one I can live with.

Offline Analist

Many thanks for all the helpful advice.
I don't have Facebook or WhatsApp on my phone, but it's linked to my Gmail account.
My main concern is not someone else looking at my phone and finding incriminating stuff but staying anonymous to a WG. If I use a second SIM and do not link to Gmail, I guess I'm safe unless anyone can advise otherwise.

NotThePrimeMinister

Well, as has been pointed out, the main risk is human error: you might click on the wrong button and text a WG from your private number, or text a private contact from your punting sim.

The punting number may not be linked to Gmail explicitly, but, to be honest, I don't know enough about tech to rule out the possibility that Google might still somehow associate it to you. Lots off possibilities : eg if call logs and texts are backed up to Google drive or to some other cloud, if Google backs up your settings to its servers (do these settings include your other number? Not sure) etc.

Offline MassageBloke

I was given an old phone (someone’s cast off), and a free sim with PAYG (cash) works fine. There are a few other old mobiles and chargers in a box in my shed, so it's never likely to be spotted either!!
Banned reason: Self confessed non punter.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline texmex

Everyone has their own unique situation. For me justifying a second phone and sim is next to impossible if ever caught. Dual sim is out of question as iPhone does not support it.
That makes virtual number ideal for me which I can very easily hide. Between various games, tools, online storage, work related, banking apps etc etc I have more than 100 apps on my phone and I keep trying new apps.

I can understand that for some people justifying second phone might be lot easier rather than a strange app.

NotThePrimeMinister

While I wouldn't use a dual sim phone for texting and calling, it could be used to access the Internet through a prepaid sim card, not linked to your name. Especially because this site does not work with VPNs.

Basically you'd enable the data connection from the second sim when you want to do punting-related Internet browsing, and switch it back to your other sim when done.

Offline magnetico

1 single heavy finger click and you may text your WG from your personal number by mistake  :scare:

Offline Beesting888

I'd not really given this much thought but after reading this I went straight out and bought a PAYG phone. The only thing was I went to a small shop and the guy trying to be helpful started quizzing me on what I wanted to use the phone for so he could help me pick the most suitable. I told him I wanted it for calls and texts, nothing else. I'd already told him I'd got a work phone so he conversationally asked why I couldn't use that and I babbled that I couldn't make personal calls on it. He said that's a bit odd given that a commercial contract normally had unlimited calls and texts. I thought he was going to follow up with "So you want a burner for booking prossies or dealing drugs?" He didn't but I wouldn't have been surprised if he was thinking it. Anyway to spare my blushes I wish I'd thought up a plausible reason before I went in.

Anyways thanks for the advice. :P

Offline pumps

Dual sims are fine if nobody else has access to your phone, I prefer it as theres no second phone lying around and I can easily switch off the second sim in the software.

Also nobody ever need know its a dual sim phone.

I have one of the latest samsung dual sims, all the SMS from both sims get coupled together.

The phone does allow me to have more than one install of messaging apps (and certain other apps), for example I have two whatsapp installs for either sim cards.

Offline paper7

I'd not really given this much thought but after reading this I went straight out and bought a PAYG phone. The only thing was I went to a small shop and the guy trying to be helpful started quizzing me on what I wanted to use the phone for so he could help me pick the most suitable. I told him I wanted it for calls and texts, nothing else. I'd already told him I'd got a work phone so he conversationally asked why I couldn't use that and I babbled that I couldn't make personal calls on it. He said that's a bit odd given that a commercial contract normally had unlimited calls and texts. I thought he was going to follow up with "So you want a burner for booking prossies or dealing drugs?" He didn't but I wouldn't have been surprised if he was thinking it. Anyway to spare my blushes I wish I'd thought up a plausible reason before I went in.

I think you can always get round that by saying 'any private calls on a works phone are taxable'

NotThePrimeMinister

Beesting, you could say you need it to make and take calls when abroad and don't care about data access

JamesFD

I have one of the latest samsung dual sims, all the SMS from both sims get coupled together.

The phone does allow me to have more than one install of messaging apps (and certain other apps), for example I have two whatsapp installs for either sim cards.
Could you say which phone that is & does it do it using the stock Samsung software or have you had to install an app to do it?

Offline pumps

Could you say which phone that is & does it do it using the stock Samsung software or have you had to install an app to do it?

Samsung note 8, stock software... did it straight out of the box.

I assume all their owner flagship dual sim phones do the same thing.

Offline 1969rja

EE has a phone for 79p plus £10 top up so its better to just get a phone for punting and its small enough to hid

Offline Dweeby

This is something I struggle with.

If I used a second phone, where would I keep it? If found, how would I explain it? If I had one, would I be comfortable not deleting all the messages (even if password protected)? To be of any use when I'm active it'd need to be on my person, and I often send texts descretely (when with others). I think it'd create more problems than it solved.

I don't think there is a risk free way of doing it. I punt rarely, and I use my normal phone and number, deleting like crazy after any messages. My phone has fingerprint security, and I turn off 'homescreen' notifications, and mute notification volume. I've never had a w/g call me, and never had them text me days later. But, I know it's far from risk free.

My phone can take 2 sims, but IMO that would just complicate things and lull me into a sense of faulse security. I might investigate the apps mentioned.

NotThePrimeMinister

Dweeby, everyone's circumstances are different, but, in the scenario you describe, I can't think of a single advantage of your setup vs the Hushed app. With the app you can use your phone but be sure you are uncontactable once you log out. Call quality might be slightly worse, but I doubt this justifies the risks of using your own phone. Even if a WG doesn't contact you outside of a booking, she might still read your text half a day later and, say, reply to you when you're with family. Plus there's always the risk of the crazy WG or the crazy Sergei who might want to harass you or blackmail you.

Offline magnetico

I use my normal phone and number, deleting like crazy after any messages.
You should do some reading of the numerous threads on the subject of the "punting phone" if you think that it's a good idea.

Offline Dweeby

Hushed app. With the app you can use your phone but be sure you are uncontactable once you log out. Call quality might be slightly worse, but I doubt this justifies the risks of using your own phone.
Thanks, I just installed Hushed, and so far it looks perfect.

Cost me £8.50 for 30 days, I'll see how it goes (and how it shows up on my cc statement!).
Also, in case you're thinking of installing, password protection isn't enabled by default.
The payment gives me a 2nd number, and texts and phone credit.
Its a VOIP system, I think.

NotThePrimeMinister

I think that, if you want to be fully anonymous, so the company behind Hushed doesn't learn your real name, you should set up a separate Google play account with a fake name and a new email address, buy a Google play voucher at Sainsbury Tesco whatever, and use that.

Depending on your circumstances, it might be overkill. At the end of the day, if your credit card statement is subject to so much scrutiny that you need to justify a small expense like this, how do you justify withdrawing all the funds needed for punting?

I suppose the Google play voucher protects you should Hushed ever be hacked and should it be disclosed that John Smith used it to call a number that was traced to a WG, but, realistically, come on...

PS no clue of you can get two separate iTunes accounts on an iPhone like you can get 2 separate Google. Play accounts on the same android

Offline Dweeby

At the end of the day, if your credit card statement is subject to so much scrutiny that you need to justify a small expense like this, how do you justify withdrawing all the funds needed for punting?
Heh, heh. No, I was simply hoping the statement wasn't going to say "Hushed. Second phone number for discrete calls and messages"!

Offline unknownking123

Regarding general PAYG sim cards, how often do you have to make a call/use data so that the operator doesn't cancel it?

NotThePrimeMinister

Heh, heh. No, I was simply hoping the statement wasn't going to say "Hushed. Second phone number for discrete calls and messages"!

My credit card statement only shows "Google play app" and then a transaction code
No reference to the app or the vendor of the app. This is now with my credit card. No clue if this might change in the future and / or with another card.
If you buy Google play vouchers and apply them to your account, your credit card statement will of course show nothing. Google and the app will probably still be able to tie your name to the use of the app, but that seems like an acceptable risk to me.

Offline Pointless

My second phone is the one I use for selling stuff on gumtree, so it's not unusual for it to be lying around the house, as long as I'm religious in deleting texts and call records after a punt I've going out to work OK.

NotThePrimeMinister

My second phone is the one I use for selling stuff on gumtree, so it's not unusual for it to be lying around the house, as long as I'm religious in deleting texts and call records after a punt I've going out to work OK.
The risk is an unexpected text or call from a WG.
In the past I have had two cases of WGs contacting me out of the blue and asking if I wanted to see them again! One even offered a discount!
Or, more banally, it could be that a WG missed your text or left the phone off for a couple of days, so only replied to your text after a few days.

Offline Tricky Dickie

The risk is an unexpected text or call from a WG.
In the past I have had two cases of WGs contacting me out of the blue and asking if I wanted to see them again! One even offered a discount!
Or, more banally, it could be that a WG missed your text or left the phone off for a couple of days, so only replied to your text after a few days.

Well why have your punting phone connected to the phone network when you're not using it to book someone? Just put it in "flight mode". No unexpected texts or calls.

Offline Leisure Suit Larry

I'm fortunate in that I already pay for BT Cloud Phone in my office. They charge me 50p per month for each additional number so I have a separate number that I use via a pc, tablet or phone for calls and texts that I want to keep private. The apps on all these devices require a password and can be muted so I find it a safer bet than a second or dual-sim phone.

Offline delete

a number of years ago I was give a free spare sim when I upgraded my phone at that point I didn't have a second phone so it was easy set it up as a punt phone on my old handset

it was almost like it was meant to be
Banned reason: No reviews in 6 years
Banned by: 90125

Offline DUX

Amusing story. Just say you're going on a stag do, going to a festival etc and you're worried about losing your smartphone. That was my genuine reason a few years ago.