I appreciate I already asked this question two years ago for Christmas 2011 which I never went through with.https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?topic=5219.25
But that time it largely came to be a discussion about the money side of it and whether the expense can be justified. So forgetting the money subject totally this time.
I appreciate it is also one of those stupid ideas and thus stupid questions I sometimes make, but I will explain my thought processes on it to explain why I am contemplating this.
At work today everyone is going around asking who is attending the works Christmas party because they are booking a large external venue in town for it so need attendance numbers now. The way my company is split up there are about 200 people who work there in my department but we are split into teams of 20.
On my team of 20 everyone is going bar me. And they are all putting pressure on me to go when to be honest I am not to keen to go.
The reason why is all 19 others in my team are in a relationship. And many of them are interwork dating (meaning dating others in the 200 department) but everyone is bringing their OH.
I am worried if I go I will either be feeling like a 5th wheel and the sad social reject trying to chat to people while they are there with their partners and me alone. Or the other flipside just sitting by myself in a corner somewhere wishing I was dead from the embarrassment while everyone else is having fun with their OH and thinking he is over there by himself what a social reject.
So today at work I started thinking of this again. And my reasons.
1. So I will not then be the only person by themselves there in my team.
2. The girl I was thinking of booking to bring is one who I have seen before and who can talk something like 500 words per minute (It was the girl I booked the overnight with). She could probably chat for an hour about stamps or trees if you gave her the chance. So it will look like I am a great fun conversationalist to everyone looking outside in when its really her controlling every conversation.
3. To be honest I am getting the strong feeling many I work with - while friendly - are thinking I am a bit of a social lepper and wish to do a (sort of) two finger salute by proving them (sort of) wrong. (Even though they are kind of right, but its not something I want to be thought of by the people I work with hence why contemplating this)
4. And finally to be honest I am just hoping it may impress so people will think christ how did Anth get a girl like her to come with him.
The downsides I was thinking.
1. Someone may know her from booking her themselves - Argument to that, as they are not single themselves they will keep very quiet themselves
2. Something slips out in conversation that we clearly have not known each other for long - However I get the feeling people wouldn't believe I could even book WGs even if it did so it would be like a double bluff. They'd probably jump to a conclusion we have just met.
3. The girl gets drunk and makes an embarrassment. - To be honest even if it was not paid for this would be a worry anyway. And apparently in previous years parties other peoples OH's have done this. But I was also thinking it could be part of her story she is tea total.
4. People will think she is too out of my league. But people I doubt would jump to he has booked a WG to go with him, or really would they?
There is possibly other things I may be missing. Or a bigger picture I may be overlooking. But I was just wanting peoples thoughts.
And I guess in the above scenario what would you do. As in would anyone go alone in the above situation and risk everything going pear shaped and being thought of as a saddo number 1 by everyone you work with if everything goes wrong and I end up sitting in a corner by myself the entire night?
There are probably other draw backs I am missing, hence why asking the question.