Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: The real cost of buying decent clobber in Thailand  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Bangers and Gash

Is there much of a financial advantage buying good quality goods in Thailand, considering the current poor exchange rate and add-on bank charges etc? Mainly thinking of non-electrical shit, like: Ray-bans, Loakes, Tommy Hillfinger....

:hi:

Offline sonic999

Buy with cash and barter like your life depended on it! As in China (Silk market and Pearl market) usually 400-500%  over priced. would stay well away from anything electrical, Although heard some great deals on Samsung 7s.

Offline Jerboa

Tailored suit, don't go to the indian tailors they are not tailors but middle men, go direct to a recommended tailor and can get decent suit made to measure. There is still so much fakes and knock off you can buy in LOS, the fake Raybans the street sellers try to make out as being real are crap, but ok for wearing on holiday, Kamagra and other ED meds are cheap, you can buy anything in a Thai pharmacy, or the street sellers do sell legit boxes of kamagra gels, negotiate a good price, 700-900 baht a box, can resell them back in UK. 

Offline Jimmyredcab

Is there much of a financial advantage buying good quality goods in Thailand, considering the current poor exchange rate and add-on bank charges etc? Mainly thinking of non-electrical shit, like: Ray-bans, Loakes, Tommy Hillfinger....

:hi:

First of all ------------ what bank charges.    :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
In Thailand cash is still King .

The exchange rate is down by around 10% from the start of the year, hardly life changing.

I assume you mean copies of the "quality" brands ----------- you get what you pay for, £5 Ray-Bans are obviously poor quality.

Offline Jimmyredcab

Just a note for Newbies.

Don't but any Thai baht in the UK, especially at Heathrow.

The banks at Bangkok airport are open 24 hours, the rate is not very good so just change enough to get to your hotel.

If you are taking sterling make sure the notes are not dirty or torn.

Many exchange booths ask to see your passport. 

Current rate is around 43 baht to the pound.

Offline BobBishi

Just a note for Newbies.

The banks at Bangkok airport are open 24 hours, the rate is not very good so just change enough to get to your hotel.

You say not to buy baht here in London or at the airport - where is the best place to buy it then please? I'm taking a trip to Thailand next month.

Offline Jimmyredcab

You say not to buy baht here in London or at the airport - where is the best place to buy it then please? I'm taking a trip to Thailand next month.

Unless you are going to a remote area you will have no problem changing your sterling, in Pattaya for example there are hundreds of exchange booths, just walk around and compare rates.

Offline DipsyDoodle

I tend to use Travelex online and order my currency about 2-14 days before my trip and collect at Heathrow.  You can also have it delivered to your house but I always found collecting at Heathrow to be easiest.  I say 2-14 days before the trip simply because I watch the exchange rate to see how the currency is trading and "lock in" once I believe I'm at a good rate.

When you order in advance and spend more that £750, you save big versus the walk up rate.  The difference has been as much as £200.

For a nominal fee, you can also guarantee that same exchange rate upon your return to convert the foreign currency you purchased back into Sterling.

Offline adindas

First of all ------------ what bank charges.    :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

The exchange rate is down by around 10% from the start of the year, hardly life changing.

I assume you mean copies of the "quality" brands ----------- you get what you pay for, £5 Ray-Bans are obviously poor quality.

You could get similar quality unbranded item for £1 in pound shops in the UK.

Offline Jimmyredcab

I tend to use Travelex online and order my currency about 2-14 days before my trip and collect at Heathrow. 

Possibly true for dollars or euros ---------------- not sure about Thai baht.    :unknown: :unknown:

Offline Badpup

I've always found the cost of branded goods much the same in Thailand as here...the tax refund at the airport helps a little though.
Tailoring is cheap....I get shirts made in Bangkok most trips.
Also I've bought glasses in Thaland....the cost of the frames is similar to here, but the glazing is much cheaper.

Offline Jimmyredcab

I've always found the cost of branded goods much the same in Thailand as here.

Sometimes more expensive in the big shopping malls ------------- I can buy NIKE trainers cheaper at Sports Direct.  :unknown:

Offline Jerboa

I tend to use Travelex online and order my currency about 2-14 days before my trip and collect at Heathrow.  You can also have it delivered to your house but I always found collecting at Heathrow to be easiest.  I say 2-14 days before the trip simply because I watch the exchange rate to see how the currency is trading and "lock in" once I believe I'm at a good rate.

When you order in advance and spend more that £750, you save big versus the walk up rate.  The difference has been as much as £200.

For a nominal fee, you can also guarantee that same exchange rate upon your return to convert the foreign currency you purchased back into Sterling.

You're talking about world currencies like Dollar and Euro right? You will only loose out by ordering Baht in the UK, why would you when there are several airport exchange booths at Bkk airport, change a small amount, then look for a better rate once in your destination.

Offline DipsyDoodle

I tend to use Travelex for all currencies.  My experience has been that the walk-up counter places are 10-20 points worse off than if you order in advance.  But I also watch the currency trading trends leading up to a trip, and purchase once I believe I've got a good rate.

Offline Jerboa

I tend to use Travelex for all currencies.  My experience has been that the walk-up counter places are 10-20 points worse off than if you order in advance.  But I also watch the currency trading trends leading up to a trip, and purchase once I believe I've got a good rate.

I will say again shall I, you are talking about world currencies, good luck getting a great rate on Thai baht in UK.

Offline DipsyDoodle

No, I'm not.  Current exchange is 42.9 Baht to Sterling.  That is just the market exchange rate and you'll get a much lower rate changing cash, especially at walk up counters.  Travelex is 41.2 Baht to Sterling if ordered on-line .

Just sharing my experience.  Do what you want to do.

Offline Jimmyredcab

No, I'm not.  Current exchange is 42.9 Baht to Sterling.  That is just the market exchange rate and you'll get a much lower rate changing cash, especially at walk up counters.  Travelex is 41.2 Baht to Sterling if ordered on-line .

Just sharing my experience.  Do what you want to do.

You are clueless sunshine, you will always get a better rate for Thai baht in Thailand.

Your "knowledge" seems to be around dollars and euros.

Offline Birdhunter

Superrich exchange Bangkok is 43.2 today, so your knowledge of exchange rates is pretty poor.

Hidden Image/Members Only

Offline Jimmyredcab

Superrich exchange Bangkok is 43.2 today, so your knowledge of exchange rates is pretty poor.

I would guess he has never been to Thailand.      :hi: :hi: :hi: :hi:

Offline David1970

Hidden Image/Members Only

Did Jimmy not say it was about 43 to the pound.
43.2 to the pound is about 43 in my book.

I disagree with Jimmy on many things but I trust his knowledge on this subject.

Offline Jerboa

You are clueless sunshine, you will always get a better rate for Thai baht in Thailand.

Your "knowledge" seems to be around dollars and euros.

Make me laugh when guys come out with nonsense, don't bullshit a bullshitter! As you say you'll never get a better rate of Baht in UK, than you will in LOS end of.

Offline Cactus

Just a note for Newbies.

I took a couple of hundred quid in Baht that I got changed at M&S with a preferential rate (as I have one of their Credit Cards) and I got a far worse rate than I did in Thailand.  I'm glad I had some Thai Baht in my pocket on arrival though, as a first timer I was glad of it, but wouldn't take as much next time.

Another point on cash was make sure it's English notes.  I had some Scottish twenties that I evenually got a worse rate for than the English notes, after being rejected at a few places first.  Some places also gave a better rate for £50's than £20's, what's that all about?

Taking cash out the machine wasn't a bother either, but take out a decent amout each time to keep charges to a minimum.  Say £300 a pop and then put it in your hotel safe.  I usually carried about £50 in cash with me and one (emergency) credit card, which I found plenty.

Offline Jerboa

I took a couple of hundred quid in Baht that I got changed at M&S with a preferential rate (as I have one of their Credit Cards) and I got a far worse rate than I did in Thailand.  I'm glad I had some Thai Baht in my pocket on arrival though, as a first timer I was glad of it, but wouldn't take as much next time.

Another point on cash was make sure it's English notes.  I had some Scottish twenties that I evenually got a worse rate for than the English notes, after being rejected at a few places first.  Some places also gave a better rate for £50's than £20's, what's that all about?

Taking cash out the machine wasn't a bother either, but take out a decent amout each time to keep charges to a minimum.  Say £300 a pop and then put it in your hotel safe.  I usually carried about £50 in cash with me and one (emergency) credit card, which I found plenty.

So Cactus how was your trip? When did you go then? do tell us how you got on.

Offline Cactus

So Cactus how was your trip? When did you go then? do tell us how you got on.

I went for 5 weeks in December/January, so about a year ago now. Was in Cambodia for 10 days and then the rest of the time was in Thailand.  Wasn't a punting trip in the slightest, but did bar fine a lass in Pattaya and one in Bangkok on my last night, both short time.  Was in a few go go's in Pattaya, visited Soy Cowboy & Nana Plaza in Bangkok as well as a wander through the red light areas in Sihanoukville in Cambodia and Ao Nang.

Was more of a tourist trip, really loved Thailand, especially Krabi Province & Chiang Mai.  I'd say Cambodia was even nicer though, best beaches I found on my trip was in Sihanookville , absolutely
stunning and Phnom Phen was a really cool place, but l liked the vibe in Siem Reap best. Middle all the usual tourist stuff, backpacking and crashing in hostels.

Pulled a couple of civvies on my trip, the highlight being a toss up between a Danish lass in Phnom Phen or a Welsh lass in Krabi Town, not the best looker, but fuck she was dirty.

Offline mattharding

Back on topic...

The other week went to the MBK centre and got a very nice black Samsonite 2 piece cabin spinner and document/laptop bag for around 2700 baht which is what, £60? I very much doubt I'd have got anywhere near that price in the UK for genuine Samsonite luggage. Also picked up some fake raybans for about a fiver which is standard - harder to get fakes in the UK so I usually buy whenever I'm abroad, Europe, Asia etc. I never buy actual genuine glasses cos they get lost or broke easily so...

Not a lot else that's worth spending money on in BKK IMO - product-wise.

Offline Marmalade

Most currency changing advice is necessarily country-specific. But I think there are a few general bits that apply most places. As Jimmy said, take nice clean, crispy English notes with no writing on them. £50s work well as a) they are easily recognised abroad b) they don't take up much space in a security wallet or however you carry them. £100s however rarely as good. They are not used to seeing them in many places. I rarely see them in this country. Don't take Scottish -- like the best whisky, it is for home consumption. Watch out for notes that have changed design: I've had old English notes refused in Europe when they didn;'t match the picture of the new ones. Most (not all) airports charge more for changing currency, so buy enough for a day or two then shop around in town at the destination. I buy Euros in advance, most other currencies when I arrive. (I try to familiarise myself with new currencies in advance by getting pictures from the Web.) I never put cash in checked in luggage. If I'm carrying a lot and don't have a big enough secure pocket I take one of those arm/leg-wallet things or similar. Unless you plan to return, get rid of all small bills and coins before you leave as they won't change them in the U.K. I always take backups, a couple of different credit cards (not so necessary for Europe but good for emergencies and remember not all credit cards will work in long-haul ATMs). I check forums (here and ISG) for local scams in new countries -- e.g. never use airport ATMs at Rio (they are regularly loaded to steal pins) Hope that helps.

Offline Jerboa

Most currency changing advice is necessarily country-specific. But I think there are a few general bits that apply most places. As Jimmy said, take nice clean, crispy English notes with no writing on them. £50s work well as a) they are easily recognised abroad b) they don't take up much space in a security wallet or however you carry them. £100s however rarely as good. They are not used to seeing them in many places. I rarely see them in this country. Don't take Scottish -- like the best whisky, it is for home consumption. Watch out for notes that have changed design: I've had old English notes refused in Europe when they didn;'t match the picture of the new ones. Most (not all) airports charge more for changing currency, so buy enough for a day or two then shop around in town at the destination. I buy Euros in advance, most other currencies when I arrive. (I try to familiarise myself with new currencies in advance by getting pictures from the Web.) I never put cash in checked in luggage. If I'm carrying a lot and don't have a big enough secure pocket I take one of those arm/leg-wallet things or similar. Unless you plan to return, get rid of all small bills and coins before you leave as they won't change them in the U.K. I always take backups, a couple of different credit cards (not so necessary for Europe but good for emergencies and remember not all credit cards will work in long-haul ATMs). I check forums (here and ISG) for local scams in new countries -- e.g. never use airport ATMs at Rio (they are regularly loaded to steal pins) Hope that helps.

Yes some good general advice there, you're correct about £50's some Thai exchanges will actually give a slightly better rate if you change £50's, and some of the exchange clerks can be fussy about taking torn or notes with marks on them, and very true in most destinations get your currency once you arrive, or you will get crap exchange rates.

Offline djs1969

Ive always bought tailored shirts etc out there as ima big fella and price/fit wise I cannot get near it hear.
A tailored shirt for roughly £12 amazingly cheap 4 me .
As to money -just take few hundred to get by on.
Rest in our money (clean unmarked notes) £50 better as thinner in wallet.
Get changed in local bank (passport needed)
Or kiosk -literally whoever offers best rate.

Offline Marmalade

Ive always bought tailored shirts etc out there as ima big fella and price/fit wise I cannot get near it hear.
A tailored shirt for roughly £12 amazingly cheap 4 me .
As to money -just take few hundred to get by on.
Rest in our money (clean unmarked notes) £50 better as thinner in wallet.
Get changed in local bank (passport needed)
Or kiosk -literally whoever offers best rate.

There is fantastic clothing to be had in BKK but the hassle -- like buying a lot of things there -- is not getting ripped off with second rate materials. It's nice that you can get made to measure done quickly. Also, the night market can have great bargains I've found too.

Bud$

JimmyRedCab's right - take cash, 50's make sure good nick, change at booths once there - airport basement booths give good rate - didn't even WANT to see my ID.  Some people who give out advice may not have even been to the place they're talking about. The way to tell is usually if they are full of dire warnings......armchair documentary travellers

Offline undercoverlover17

hmm so what i can see is that Your GBP will get better rates for Baht while in Thailand ? is it a significant difference or just slightly better on average ?

Offline Jimmyredcab

hmm so what i can see is that Your GBP will get better rates for Baht while in Thailand ? is it a significant difference or just slightly better on average ?

NEVER BUY THAI BAHT IN THE UK?

NEVER.

Offline Jimmyredcab

Think i understand now  :lol:

Some people think they will need some Thai baht when they first land ---------------- not so, the banks are open in the airport 24/7, once you pass through immigration you will see them---- just change enough for your first day.

turkmanstan

NEVER BUY THAI BAHT IN THE UK?

NEVER.

Its good advice and I never buy any foreign currency in the UK these days.Always save a bit from my last visit to tie be over and then shop around for the best deal in Exchange Shops or use an ATM after I know what exchange rate to expect