Author Topic: Parking ticket in Brussels  (Read 1824 times)

Offline Steve2

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 9,530
  • Likes: 40
  •  
  • Reviews: 97
I got a parking ticket in Brussels back in June and binned it. I've never had one chased up but this week I got a letter from a UK based company with all the pics of the street and car asking for £19. I binned it too but now thinking that Brussels have passed the details on and this company will continue to chase for the money.

Anyone else had a similar experience ?

Offline Jerboa

That's surprising mate, it must cost them more than £19 to chase you up, if it's a private parking company then bin it, they have no power to enforce, and as it was abroad it won't go to court.

Offline Steve2

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 9,530
  • Likes: 40
  •  
  • Reviews: 97
That's surprising mate, it must cost them more than £19 to chase you up, if it's a private parking company then bin it, they have no power to enforce, and as it was abroad it won't go to court.

Thats my thinking J

will wait and see

FredW

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Guest
Thats my thinking J

will wait and see

It's a civil debt which the parking authority has passed on. They can go to County Court and if they do that costs can start being allocated against you. It could also affect your credit rating if you get a CCJ.

Think carefully.

FW

Offline Absolutman

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • *
  • Posts: 101
  • Likes: 1
  •  
  • Reviews: 4
Also got one on rue Aerschot. Got back to car as ticket being posted. Could not talk my way out of it though was told with the fine I could now stay for as long as I want and that you need to pay 24/7 on that street. :angry:
Banned reason: No reply when questioned about reviews
Banned by: Iloveoral

Offline Steve2

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 9,530
  • Likes: 40
  •  
  • Reviews: 97
It's a civil debt which the parking authority has passed on. They can go to County Court and if they do that costs can start being allocated against you. It could also affect your credit rating if you get a CCJ.

Think carefully.

FW

Thanks Fred. Is it really worth their while for £19?

I am sure they will have to send a reminder or 2 before going to small claims court

tonibell99

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Guest
I'm a fucker for parking tickets, always appeal (and more often than not get away with them) - however if this was me, for 19 quid I'd just bite the bullet.  :hi:

Offline Jerboa

It's a civil debt which the parking authority has passed on. They can go to County Court and if they do that costs can start being allocated against you. It could also affect your credit rating if you get a CCJ.

Think carefully.

FW

It never goes as far as court, as it will cost the company, the snotty letters are sent to intimidate you into paying, just use the letter to wipe your bum, now if it was a local council parking enforcement, that's a different matter.

FredW

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Guest
They may give up, they may not.

I know of an instance where Norwegian parking fines were chased up in the UK right to the end, with the final fines something like 8 times the original ticket. And being Norway that wasn't cheap!

With many northern European countries, parking fines are not viewed as a way of raising money, but as a way to put you off breaking parking rules. For that reason many do not apply just a financial cost analysis, it is about sending a message.

Also, was it your own car in Belgium? If your own you could have issues if you go back with it.

FW

Offline Steve2

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 9,530
  • Likes: 40
  •  
  • Reviews: 97
Yes it's mine Fred

I will wait and see what the next letter brings

I doubt that I will take this one back to Brusels

Speedy

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Guest
Yes it's mine Fred

I will wait and see what the next letter brings

I doubt that I will take this one back to Brusels

Ignore it mate, they probably sold the debt to the UK company for next to nothing. They will go away if you ignore them. You can't enforce Belgian traffic laws in a UK court.

Offline Steve2

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 9,530
  • Likes: 40
  •  
  • Reviews: 97

Offline Jerboa

I got a couple letters from a parking company, after I parked in a hotel car park for a punt, use them to wipe my arse.  :P

Offline mh

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 4,000
  • Likes: 33
  •  
  • Reviews: 53
Thanks Fred. Is it really worth their while for £19?

I am sure they will have to send a reminder or 2 before going to small claims court

I would ignore, but note that they will add their costs to the amount being demanded, it does not come out of the fine amount...

Offline Mr Farkyhars

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Banned
  • Posts: 1,337
  • Likes: 1
  •  
  • Reviews: 4
Banned reason: Nothing in. 7 years
Banned by: Iloveoral