Author Topic: Video games and gaming  (Read 57201 times)

Online Rick2468

I have been playing Sifu for a few days and I think I love it. For the first hour I thought it was just a button mashing game, and it is exactly that but there is a real pattern to it which is really satisfying once you get a bit of rhythm going. It is hugely satisfying to go from a defensive stance to parrying an enemy and following up with a lightning fast combo which takes them down. It is so cool how you can instantly flick up poles or bottles with your feet to use as weapons, and adding skills where you can kick objects at enemies to stun them.

The game is set out in a way that makes me feel like I'm in my own kung fu film. Dialogue is minimal but effective, one cool bit was walking into an underground bookies to be told "All bets are off" but when I tried to continue into the arena the vendors suddenly come at me and I have to take them out. It reminds me a bit of Hotline Miami with the pacing and how you go in as a lone solider and take out entire floors of enemies. The gameplay is very different to Hotline Miami but it still has the same vibe.

The game got 'good but not great' reviews as far as I'm aware. I gave it a quick spin when it arrived on PS+ about a year ago but I wasn't sold. I gave it another chance this week and I'm glad I did.

I also played Robocop: Rogue City recently. Really enjoyed that too but it definitely had some limitations. On the plus side it was great fun playing as Robocop, the game follows it's own story but it is set in the same universe as the film trilogy so you see the same locations and characters and it has the same music and sound effects. The game mixes shooting sequences, detective work and has very basis RPG elements. The RPG benefits didn't add much but the balance between the genres felt quite good.

On the negative side, it's  a bit slower than your typical shooter although I guess Robocop is no ninja. The idea is you are heavily armoured and can take a lot of fire, you just need to take out the others before they wear you down. The RPG system was mostly pointless, some skills were good but most were useless so I stopped even spending my points in the end. You can level up your pistol quickly which makes the game easily. And perhaps worse of all I had a couple of moments where a story event bugged out meaning I couldn't trigger the next stage and had to restart the level, losing 30 mins of gameplay on one occasion. Looking online suggests this is a common bug with no fix other than to restart.

Offline Billy no mates

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,852
  • Likes: 55
  •  
  • Reviews: 67
Been a while since I posted in this thread, short update on what I’ve been playing.

Found my 3DS, and worked straight out of the box even tho it’s sat unused for multiple years, well done Nintendo, playing through a mix of games I either didn’t complete or missed completely, currently on Fire Emblem.

My sim rig is all setup after house renovation, so playing Asetto Corza Competizione online.

I stripped and repaired my Evercade (being retired gives one so much time), it really is a poorly made console, and would warn potential consumers about getting caught up in the hype for the new one with Donkey Kong 3D. On this I am now playing Dragon View which is a follow up to one of my all time favourites Drakhen (which is also on the console).

Finally on Steamdeck I am switching between ‘Nobody saves the world’ and ‘Curse of the golden idol’. I also managed to download for emulation Radiant Historia (3DS) which I missed originally and now copies sell for £120+, ouch.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2026, 09:17:24 am by Billy no mates »

Offline Paul9144


I also played Robocop: Rogue City recently. Really enjoyed that too but it definitely had some limitations. On the plus side it was great fun playing as Robocop, the game follows it's own story but it is set in the same universe as the film trilogy so you see the same locations and characters and it has the same music and sound effects. The game mixes shooting sequences, detective work and has very basis RPG elements. The RPG benefits didn't add much but the balance between the genres felt quite good.

On the negative side, it's  a bit slower than your typical shooter although I guess Robocop is no ninja. The idea is you are heavily armoured and can take a lot of fire, you just need to take out the others before they wear you down. The RPG system was mostly pointless, some skills were good but most were useless so I stopped even spending my points in the end. You can level up your pistol quickly which makes the game easily. And perhaps worse of all I had a couple of moments where a story event bugged out meaning I couldn't trigger the next stage and had to restart the level, losing 30 mins of gameplay on one occasion. Looking online suggests this is a common bug with no fix other than to restart.

Thanks for sharing Rick, I may purchase Robocop: Rogue City. Bit pricey on Playstation and Xbox Microsoft Stores though. For PC, the contrast in pricing is bonkers at only £3.29 if purchased from Loaded, considering that PC graphics are much better. But then, I may have to contend with controller compatibility issues if DS4 Windows doesn't work. I can't be playing games on a keyboard.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2026, 01:59:14 am by Paul9144 »

Offline Paul9144

EA Sports have selected me to playtest and feedback on FC27 prior to it's release on consoles and PC. Specifically, career mode. So that will be interesting. Metal Gear Solid (Vol 2) is on pre-order for PlayStation 5. I mean, as a die-hard MGS fan, I've only been waiting 18 years since MGS4's PS3 release :D GTA 6 is hopefully coming on the 19/11/2026 and Lemmy is working on modding in a new Europe map for Mount and Blade II Bannerlord on PC :)

Offline LLPunting

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 17,560
  • Likes: 192
  •  
  • Reviews: 360
Opinions, hopes and fears for hie Exodus and expanse are shaping up?

Anyone still playing BG3 and have any mods they recommend?

Keep seesawing on Warhammer: Rogue Trader, anyone have any pros or cons from playing that need bearing in mind?

Online Rick2468

I've been playing Dead Space Remake. It's good, I was loving it at first but now I'm getting towards the end of the game I'm ready for it to be over. It is very atmospheric and makes a good job of making you feel like you could be attacked at any moment with all the noises and shadows caused by your flash light. The weapons are good and I think the laser cutter is one of the best weapons in a game. My main issue is that all the areas feel the same. I understand that you won't experience lots of different cultures and colours on a space station but it just feels a bit samey.

I am playing on Impossible mode because if you complete it you get a 'foam finger' which I think is essentially a novelty weapon that fires unlimited rockets. I thought it could be fun to do a quick playthrough with that, or at least play for a bit. I am an average gamer but I have found Impossible mode ok. The enemy encounters are scary but are never hugely overwhelming. I find the game is getting easier as I get further in the game, the enemies are tougher but the equipment improves at a faster rate. I am making liberal use of save points and making frequent run backs to refill stasis charges (which slow down enemies) which is making it a lot easier.

Online mr.bluesky

EA Sports have selected me to playtest and feedback on FC27 prior to it's release on consoles and PC. Specifically, career mode. So that will be interesting. Metal Gear Solid (Vol 2) is on pre-order for PlayStation 5. I mean, as a die-hard MGS fan, I've only been waiting 18 years since MGS4's PS3 release :D GTA 6 is hopefully coming on the 19/11/2026 and Lemmy is working on modding in a new Europe map for Mount and Blade II Bannerlord on PC :)

FC27 will just be like FC26, FC25, FC24, Fifa23 and so on. Pro Evolution soccer had the best game play but unfortunately not the licences for realistic teams apart from a few leagues. If you could get them to combine both you'd have a decent football game.  :unknown:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2026, 02:08:27 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Paul9144

FC27 will just be like FC26, FC25, FC24, Fifa23 and so on. Pro Evolution soccer had the best game play but unfortunately not the licences for realistic teams apart from a few leagues. If you could get them to combine both you'd have a decent football game.  :unknown:

I playtested it, and It was abysmal. I've been playtesting them for a couple of years now, and EA don't appear to want to take mine and many others feedback onboard from what I can see by reviews of previous FC's and Fifa titles. I do put a huge amount of time, dedication and detail each year into my feedback reports (as I do with anything that I've got a care for and a keen interest in), but nothing changes from each year to year as you correctly mentioned. I certainly won't be purchasing it this year. I've totally lost interest and motivation with them now, and I've unsubscribed to receiving any future emails from them. Them older Pro Evolution Soccer games were brilliant though. Pro Evolution Soccer 5 was my favourite of them all on the PS2.

Hidden Image/Members Only

Online mr.bluesky

I playtested it, and It was abysmal. I've been playtesting them for a couple of years now, and EA don't appear to want to take mine and many others feedback onboard from what I can see by reviews of previous FC's and Fifa titles. I do put a huge amount of time, dedication and detail each year into my feedback reports (as I do with anything that I've got a care for and a keen interest in), but nothing changes from each year to year as you correctly mentioned. I certainly won't be purchasing it this year. I've totally lost interest and motivation with them now, and I've unsubscribed to receiving any future emails from them. Them older Pro Evolution Soccer games were brilliant though. Pro Evolution Soccer 5 was my favourite of them all on the PS2.

Hidden Image/Members Only

It's just a shame Pro Evolution didn't have the licenses for all the English league teams and the major European leagues, they would have outsold EA Sports Fifa titles as their gameplay was so much better. EA sports have got lazy and are just cashing in by recycling the same old game.

Offline Paul9144

It's just a shame Pro Evolution didn't have the licenses for all the English league teams and the major European leagues, they would have outsold EA Sports Fifa titles as their gameplay was so much better. EA sports have got lazy and are just cashing in by recycling the same old game.

Totally agree with all of that :drinks:

Offline Punting2022

Booked a week off on nov to play gta6

Online Rick2468

I playtested it, and It was abysmal. I've been playtesting them for a couple of years now, and EA don't appear to want to take mine and many others feedback onboard from what I can see by reviews of previous FC's and Fifa titles. I do put a huge amount of time, dedication and detail each year into my feedback reports (as I do with anything that I've got a care for and a keen interest in), but nothing changes from each year to year as you correctly mentioned. I certainly won't be purchasing it this year. I've totally lost interest and motivation with them now, and I've unsubscribed to receiving any future emails from them. Them older Pro Evolution Soccer games were brilliant though. Pro Evolution Soccer 5 was my favourite of them all on the PS2.

Hidden Image/Members Only

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 was my personal favourite. I used to upgrade to the latest PES every year but I was having so much fun with my Master League career in PES6 I never bothered upgrading after that and kept playing it for years. I used to like setting challenges like winning the world cup with Wales which I was usually able to do but it was no given so I had to concentrate. The game did not have online multiplayer but some whiz fanboy set up an unofficial server where people could play online so I used to play that sometimes too.

I took a break from gaming all together at some point to focus on my career. I got back into it but decided to play story driven games rather than sports games, because sports games felt like they never ended! I played one of the FIFA games which had the career mode in it with cutscenes etc which was fun for a bit.

Offline Paul9144

Pro Evolution Soccer 6 was my personal favourite. I used to upgrade to the latest PES every year but I was having so much fun with my Master League career in PES6 I never bothered upgrading after that and kept playing it for years. I used to like setting challenges like winning the world cup with Wales which I was usually able to do but it was no given so I had to concentrate. The game did not have online multiplayer but some whiz fanboy set up an unofficial server where people could play online so I used to play that sometimes too.

I took a break from gaming all together at some point to focus on my career. I got back into it but decided to play story driven games rather than sports games, because sports games felt like they never ended! I played one of the FIFA games which had the career mode in it with cutscenes etc which was fun for a bit. I've been getting on well with the MGS Vol 2 btw since it's release.

I used to love the PES Master League Careers. One of many things with PES that I liked is that you could create players, teams, kits, logos and leagues etc, and then add them players and teams into the master league. So, what I did once was create a league, all players and teams from the championship. It taken me almost a week to do it, but I did it. The amount of detail in the players, team logos, kits etc was ridiculous. Looking back, I'm not sure how I did it but I just did. I suppose having a passion for something when you're that young is what driven me to getting it done. I heard about them unofficial servers for multiplayer, but I never tried it :D For me, it was all about the Master League Career mode. Fair play to you for putting your career first, but gaming ultimately never leaves you, especially if you've grown up with it from a young age as I did. And yeah, story games are great. I've been getting on well with the MGS Volume 2 master collection btw.
 

« Last Edit: September 02, 2026, 03:33:47 pm by Paul9144 »

Online Rick2468

I used to love the PES Master League Careers. One of many things with PES that I liked is that you could create players, teams, kits, logos and leagues etc, and then add them players and teams into the master league. So, what I did once was create a league, all players and teams from the championship. It taken me almost a week to do it, but I did it. The amount of detail in the players, team logos, kits etc was ridiculous. Looking back, I'm not sure how I did it but I just did. I suppose having a passion for something when you're that young is what driven me to getting it done. I heard about them unofficial servers for multiplayer, but I never tried it :D For me, it was all about the Master League Career mode. Fair play to you for putting your career first, but gaming ultimately never leaves you, especially if you've grown up with it from a young age as I did. And yeah, story games are great. I've been getting on well with the MGS Volume 2 master collection btw.

I am an avid gamer but took two big breaks, one when I was doing my A-Levels and degree, but that wasn't to focus on study it was because I started going out and drinking! I took a break of about 6 years between 1999 and 2005, and it was a crazy time to take a break because gaming went on leaps and bounds in that time. During that time Deus Ex, GTA 3, Half Life 2 and Oblivion came out alongside many others.

After I was settled in my career and had money to spare I bought a top of the range PC and asked my Dad what was good and he sent me his copy of Half life 2. I knew it was a FPS so I was expecting a game like Quake, so I was absolutely blown away at how great it looked and how there was a story build closely around whatever you did, and the music reacting just has big battles were taking place. It was kind of worth having a break just to have that feeling of awe. Games have gotten better since Half Life 2 but I think that early 2000s early was possibly the fastest improvement in quality.

Offline Billy no mates

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,852
  • Likes: 55
  •  
  • Reviews: 67
I have to agree with Rick, certainly play a game that’s say ten years old and it doesn’t look as different as a game ten years apart 1995-2005.

Offline Paul9144

I am an avid gamer but took two big breaks, one when I was doing my A-Levels and degree, but that wasn't to focus on study it was because I started going out and drinking! I took a break of about 6 years between 1999 and 2005, and it was a crazy time to take a break because gaming went on leaps and bounds in that time. During that time Deus Ex, GTA 3, Half Life 2 and Oblivion came out alongside many others.

After I was settled in my career and had money to spare I bought a top of the range PC and asked my Dad what was good and he sent me his copy of Half life 2. I knew it was a FPS so I was expecting a game like Quake, so I was absolutely blown away at how great it looked and how there was a story build closely around whatever you did, and the music reacting just has big battles were taking place. It was kind of worth having a break just to have that feeling of awe. Games have gotten better since Half Life 2 but I think that early 2000s early was possibly the fastest improvement in quality.

I had to laugh at the honest bit in bold :D

It reads like you've been on quite some journey.

Some great classics mentioned there, especially GTA 3 which I recently played on the trilogy definitive edition.

I have to agree with Rick, certainly play a game that’s say ten years old and it doesn’t look as different as a game ten years apart 1995-2005.

I was playing MGS2 (Master Collection Vol 1) on PS5 a few months ago.

I believe Konami did update the graphics slightly in terms of increased resolution, but no major overhaul. I was thinking to myself, this a 2001 (US)/2002 (UK) game originally released on the PS2, yet the graphics to this day look so brilliant still.

Online Rick2468

I have to agree with Rick, certainly play a game that’s say ten years old and it doesn’t look as different as a game ten years apart 1995-2005.

I believe the engines used to build a lot of games today are largely the same as they were nearly 20 years ago. The graphics have improved as more powerful computers mean the graphics can project light and how it bounces around. For example, in the game Control which is already 6 years old, if you walk up to characters you can actually see your reflection in their eyes! The games do look better but it is much less noticeable. It also costs more to model graphics so accurately so even if the computing power is there developers may not bother as they got to make a profit.

Whenever I play an older game the main thing I notice is the menus or the HUDs look dated, but the actual graphics don't look dated. I played Dishonored a couple of years ago for the first time and I was really impressed how good the controls were and how good it looked. Similarly with the Mass Effect trilogy which I played recently.

It's all good. I'm not wishing for further advancements, I just like playing fun games. I typically enjoy a charismatic indie game with pixel-art graphics over a huge budget AAA+ game.

On the gaming front for me, I finished Dead Space a few days ago. It's a good game but despite being only 10 hours long I still felt it went on too long. The start and ending were good, but the middle bit was just going from end to end rerouting power. It was great fighting enemies and the bosses were cool but I feel they could have cut a lot of it out. I typically play games on PS+ meaning I paid no extra to play Dead Space, so getting value for money is less of an issue for me. I can understand if someone paid £60 on release they would be annoyed if the game took 5 hours.

There were lots of things in Dead Space that reminded me of Resident Evil but it lacked the 'fun', for example the stupid puzzles of  positioning paintings and opening up a huge secret passage to a high tech lab, then having to run through a sewer in high heels and a cocktail dress. Dead Space took itself too seriously although the setting wouldn't really suit a campy vibe anyway. It was a good game but I would have enjoyed a typical Resident Evil game more.

After that I picked up Citizen Sleeper 2. I'm a bit puzzled why because I didn't enjoy the first Citizen Sleeper as much as I was expecting. People were telling me it was the next Disco Elysium (which I adored) so I was excited to play it but all the things I loved about DE such as the music, the deep characters especially the self-depreciating inner monologue of the fucked up main character, the artwork and the setting. Citizen Sleeper had too much text for me, the music and backgrounds didn't change as you travelled to place to place.

Despite all that, so far I am enjoying CS2. It is very similar to the first game and I realise I did actually enjoy rolling the dice in the first game after all, it was just that I was expecting a different game. It is also less overwhelming that the first game as I understand how it works. Looking forward to playing through the rest.

Offline Billy no mates

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,852
  • Likes: 55
  •  
  • Reviews: 67
Control is a superb game, I’m not sure about the outdoors ness of the next one.

Around 2-3 yrs ago I saw Kingdoms of Amular remastered for sale on one of the in game stores, it was released approx 5 years ago. I was bored and thought I would buy it and play through again, having played the original in 2012. Before making the purchase I went to see if I had the disc still and I did, so I put that in and played what would have been a 10-12 year old game at that point and it looked great.

Likewise Skyrim earlier this year, but that was the anniversary edition or something so it probably had been tweaked.

Offline RyanM92

Anybody here getting Wolverine on the ps5 next week? I was pretty excited about the game leading up to reviews as I’ve been a fan of the Ratchet & Clank series and Spider-Man series. However, the reviews that dropped last Thursday are very mixed..  :(

Offline WDFORTE

StarWars Zero Company. Got over 45 hours out of it by completing every side quest possible. Enjoyable. Well worth the money. Don't feel the need to replay it at the moment. Sometime next year maybe, I'll choose different characters next time though.

Offline WDFORTE

Anybody here getting Wolverine on the ps5 next week? I was pretty excited about the game leading up to reviews as I’ve been a fan of the Ratchet & Clank series and Spider-Man series. However, the reviews that dropped last Thursday are very mixed..  :(

It's not sand box but linear gameplay, around the 12 hour mark.  Buy it on release, finish it by the weekend and sell/chop it in to CEX for max money back.

Offline RyanM92

It's not sand box but linear gameplay, around the 12 hour mark.  Buy it on release, finish it by the weekend and sell/chop it in to CEX for max money back.

This is exactly why I love physical discs and not digital! Hopefully getting it tomorrow and then completing it by the weekend. Straight to CEX!

Offline RyanM92

Any gamers here seen the new Resident Evil movie? If so, what did you think?

Offline Billy no mates

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,852
  • Likes: 55
  •  
  • Reviews: 67
Any gamers here seen the new Resident Evil movie? If so, what did you think?

I have not, but you made me try to consider what is the best game to movie, I think there are plenty of good tv shows, even in recent years but movie wise less so.

Mario made a lot of money, but I’m taking about something that players or the game would enjoy.

The only thing I can think of personally, speaking for myself, the street fighter 2 anime movie from the 90’s

Online Rick2468

I have not, but you made me try to consider what is the best game to movie, I think there are plenty of good tv shows, even in recent years but movie wise less so.

Mario made a lot of money, but I’m taking about something that players or the game would enjoy.

The only thing I can think of personally, speaking for myself, the street fighter 2 anime movie from the 90’s

That's an interesting topic! The Street Fighter 2 anime was great! My personal pick would be the original Resident Evil film, me and my mates really enjoyed it whilst acknowledging it was silly and a little bit shit. I tend to watch all the Resident Evil films, never expecting anything special but just a bit of silly fun.

For a bit of balance, I saw House of the Dead by Uwe Boll and it is one of the worst films I have ever seen. Uwe Boll has a reputation for making awful movies and it lived up to it, wasn't even a case of being so bad it's good, it was just bad. I only watched it because I had a LoveFilm subscription where you made a list of films you wanted to see and LoveFilm would pick a couple and send them through the post, after being a member for over a year I was running low on ideas so added House of the Dead to the list. Cancelled my subscription shortly after.

I haven't seen them, and they are TV shows rather than films, but The Last of Us and Fallout are supposed to be good.

Offline Billy no mates

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,852
  • Likes: 55
  •  
  • Reviews: 67
Lovefilm, now you’re stirring some memories  :drinks:

Fallout is pretty good, Last of Us is ok.

Offline Frostingthebowl

Anyone getting ace combat 8 when it comes out next friday?

Looks pretty good and you have a squad that you manage like in ace combat 5 unsung hero.

Offline Paul9144

Any gamers here seen the new Resident Evil movie? If so, what did you think?

I didn't know about a new one until seeing your post here :unknown:

External Link/Members Only.

I love the games, and purchased them all when on sale between PS5 and PC.

Although, I do need to crack on with RE6 which I've been meaning to do for an age.

My personal pick would be the original Resident Evil film, me and my mates really enjoyed it whilst acknowledging it was silly and a little bit shit. I tend to watch all the Resident Evil films, never expecting anything special but just a bit of silly fun.

I can see where you're coming from regarding the silliness 💯

Overall, I feel that they're good films though.

Online Rick2468

I finished Citizen Sleeper 2. Enjoyed it and felt it was better than the first game. The additional mechanics were fairly minor but did add to it. I felt the story was better as well and didn't just have a binary choice right at the end to get the good, bad or neutral endings (like what happened in the first game). The game basically revolves around rolling dice to fill up dials but the presentation around it made it a fun game. It ended at the right time as I would have got bored playing much more, but if they released a Citizen Sleeper 3 in a few years that would be long enough for me to want to play again.

I then started and finished The Rogue Prince of Persia. A lightweight but decent Rogue-like game where you restart the game each run but unlock upgrades to make future runs better. I enjoy these games, this was noticeably easier and shorter than others which had pros and cons, but I think I enjoyed having a fairly chilled game to play through.

The upgrade system was good and I felt there was always an upgrade I wanted to unlock which gave every run a purpose. Combat was very quick and smooth once you got some experience and found your rhythm. Game is fairly big on platforming as well as combat, there is a cool 'wall-run' mechanic which flows nicely, but I felt the controls could fail you in some sections where the character delays slightly meaning you run into spikes and lose crucial health at a certain time.

Towards the end game I was able to complete the run easily each time, and sometimes I got insanely strong synergies with the builds (reliant on RNG to what items drop) meaning I was melting the bosses in seconds which meant it was easy but still satisfying. By that point the runs lacked purpose so I decided to drop it.

Unsure what to play next, possibly Chained Echoes.

Has anyone played Final Fantasy XVI? It's on PS+ and I added it to my shortlist, but I'm a bit unsure whether to play it. I heard it drags in places and gets repetitive which really puts me off given it's a 60 to 70 hour game. I really enjoyed the original VII, VIII and IX and also the VII remake games (I'm in the 'FFVII is incredible' group). I'm currently thinking that if I play a long RPG I'd rather play Deliverance Kingdom Come 2.

Offline The0neAnd0nly

Has anyone played Final Fantasy XVI? It's on PS+ and I added it to my shortlist, but I'm a bit unsure whether to play it. I heard it drags in places and gets repetitive which really puts me off given it's a 60 to 70 hour game. I really enjoyed the original VII, VIII and IX and also the VII remake games (I'm in the 'FFVII is incredible' group). I'm currently thinking that if I play a long RPG I'd rather play Deliverance Kingdom Come 2.

Played the FF16 demo last year. Gave me knock off Game of Thrones vibes and not in a good way so decided to give it a miss which means its the first Final Fantasy game ive not played since FF5.

Currently playing FF7 Rebirth and was really enjoying it... now just to Costa Del Sol and hit a wall. Too... many... minigames

My favourite is FF8 and its also the first one I ever played... apparently the theory is your first one is always your favourite.

If you havent given Final Fantasy Resonance demo a try yet id highly recommend it. Old school FF feel. Game comes out October

Online Rick2468

Played the FF16 demo last year. Gave me knock off Game of Thrones vibes and not in a good way so decided to give it a miss which means its the first Final Fantasy game ive not played since FF5.

Currently playing FF7 Rebirth and was really enjoying it... now just to Costa Del Sol and hit a wall. Too... many... minigames

My favourite is FF8 and its also the first one I ever played... apparently the theory is your first one is always your favourite.

If you havent given Final Fantasy Resonance demo a try yet id highly recommend it. Old school FF feel. Game comes out October

Thank you. I was definitely leaning to giving FFXVI a miss but had a horrible feeling I would be missing out, so to have some confirmation that's the right decision is great!

I played FF7 on release. It was the first game I bought with my own money so I made sure I got my money's worth. I was at school so I had time to work out which elements worked best against each enemy. Poured hours into it. I never actually finished it on that first playthrough, but years later I got a PS1 emulator and played it on PC using the original discs and played all the way through to the end. I was deeply in love with the story, the music and the characters. My favourite substories were the lady at the station and the failed Rocket Town launch. The periodic flashbacks to face offs with Sephiroth were all incredible too.

When FFV8 came out, I remember being annoyed it had new characters rather than Cloud and company. So I had no interest in playing it. I eventually played it during COVID and it was amazing. Ended up playing original FF7 again afterward, and then FF9. I really really enjoyed FF8, FF9 was good but I didn't rate it as much as 7 or 8. I know a lot of people think FF9 is the greatest, but as you say it can depend on when you play it and whether it's your first one.

I played the original FFVII again during COVID and had a great time
« Last Edit: September 23, 2026, 07:45:06 pm by Rick2468 »

Offline The0neAnd0nly

I tend to play FF8 every year or so, the storyline characters and Triple Triad keep me coming back. Although Gwent in The Witcher is right up there too.

Yeah agree about FF9 - was too childish for me do didnt take to it that much. Plus Beatrix should have joined your party fully lol

I might end up giving 16 a chance some time down the line... but definitely not before FF7-Revelation

Offline eagle999

Any gamers here seen the new Resident Evil movie? If so, what did you think?

I'd be interested to hear thoughts as well as initial critic reviews are very good. Apparently it has no ties to the games though.

Offline nbarnes

Played the FF16 demo last year. Gave me knock off Game of Thrones vibes and not in a good way so decided to give it a miss which means its the first Final Fantasy game ive not played since FF5.

Currently playing FF7 Rebirth and was really enjoying it... now just to Costa Del Sol and hit a wall. Too... many... minigames

My favourite is FF8 and its also the first one I ever played... apparently the theory is your first one is always your favourite.

If you havent given Final Fantasy Resonance demo a try yet id highly recommend it. Old school FF feel. Game comes out October

I'm playing FF7 Rebirth through as we speak. The minigames are damned annoying, i gave up on catch Chocobos in particular.
But the experience in general has been pretty enjoyable.

I also loved FF8, but it's the ugly duckling of the series, no chance of it getting remade apparently.
I have played FF7, 8, 10 and 15. By and large, they are all great.

Online Rick2468

I've been playing Chained Echoes. I was a bit unsure about it at first, the pixel art graphics were great but the combat felt a bit simplistic at first with the first couple of boss battles involving just pressing attack enough times (with the odd heal) until the enemy was dead. But now I'm a bit further in the game I am now thinking this is a very good game.

It turns out the combat system is much better than I initially thought, and synergies between buffs and attacks between party enemies are very important. I came up against an optional boss which was absolutely annihilating me very quickly so I decided to leave it until I had levelled up. I discovered a particular synergy in another battle by accident which I thought would work well against the optional boss, so I went back and beat it absolutely no sweat. It was very satisfying. RNG certainly plays it part though, if the enemies do certain combos I can't see anyway to survive, I think this is true in all RPGs but it feels more obvious on Chained Echoes.

I love the game, but the atmosphere is a bit too light hearted for me with all the characters, even the baddies, making little jokes. I'm sure many people will like this and I guess I'm just a misery guts, but I loved how dark Final Fantasy VII was when it felt like it was your small group of friends against the entire government.

Offline Billy no mates

  • Age Check : 18+
  • Forum Helper
  • ****
  • Posts: 1,852
  • Likes: 55
  •  
  • Reviews: 67
I did play this (Chained Echos) a couple of years ago, I also enjoyed it. I did fall off the game before the end and I cannot remember why.

Offline RyanM92

I'd be interested to hear thoughts as well as initial critic reviews are very good. Apparently it has no ties to the games though.

I did end up going to see it and had a great time with it! I should preface that this movie does not take itself seriously throughout the movie. It clearly sets up in the beginning that the character we are following is not a Leon hero type of character, he's more of an average joe who's just trying to get through the night and the comedy all stems from that. However, it does have AMAZING horror moments for sure. If you watch it in IMAX half way through the movie at a pivotal scene the aspect ration expands (won't spoil why) but it stays like that till the end - pretty neat!

I should mention that anybody who's played any of the REs will recognise moments from the game i.e. EVERY door being locked.. pretty funny throughout the movie or finding a shotgun and the shells being in a totally different room or floor  :dash:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2026, 05:49:53 pm by RyanM92 »

Offline Punterperson1971

I’ve started playing resident evil requiem and loving it the more I go further in to the game