Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: NHS barriers to STI clinics means - lack of access and increased risks to all.  (Read 1864 times)

Offline simon07

Covid has changed the health game with telephone triage being a way of avoiding seeing potential clients/patients.

On the one hand the public health guys worry about increasing prevalence of syphilis, HIV etc and on the other hand it is very difficult to get a face to face appointment. Of course this service has been passed from NHS to local councils who raided the money to balance their books and offer a crap service.

So when was the last time a punter or a WG had a proper check up? Two years or three years ago?
Is this spot testing and send via the post or health care by an app a proper way of managing STIs in the UK?
Is there a postcode lottery finding a decent STI clinic for face to face check up?

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
Covid has changed the health game with telephone triage being a way of avoiding seeing potential clients/patients.

On the one hand the public health guys worry about increasing prevalence of syphilis, HIV etc and on the other hand it is very difficult to get a face to face appointment. Of course this service has been passed from NHS to local councils who raided the money to balance their books and offer a crap service.

So when was the last time a punter or a WG had a proper check up? Two years or three years ago?
Is this spot testing and send via the post or health care by an app a proper way of managing STIs in the UK?
Is there a postcode lottery finding a decent STI clinic for face to face check up?

I had a full in-person screen end of last year, and at various points during the pandemic my next in-person (delayed by GUM staff illness) is next week. In the meantime I've supplemented this with postal kits some bought privately, some provided by NHS, some organised by sex work outreach projects. Since Christmas I've submitted several swab and blood tests. Also used home instant HIV test kits, the test is carried out with drop of blood results in front of you in 15 minutes, similar to the Covid-19 lateral flow kits. I had the foresight to schedule a full in-person screen as the first lockdown approached. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 09:53:12 pm by Strawberry »

Offline usroads

York & District NHS clinic - 3 days wait for an appointment - same day tests, diagnosis and antibiotic jab within 1 hour.

Offline Sedlmayer

I think this is a real issue which deserves to be highlighted (highlit?)
Does anybody know if GUM clinics are going back to walk-in sessions, and if so which ones? I have tried looking on NHS websites but I haven't found any so far
I'm thinking of the London area personally, but information on all areas will be of use to punters elsewhere.
I know you can get home tests through the post, but they will not be suitable for punters who have other halves, for obvious reasons.

Offline Mrcambridge69

I think this is a real issue which deserves to be highlighted (highlit?)
Does anybody know if GUM clinics are going back to walk-in sessions, and if so which ones? I have tried looking on NHS websites but I haven't found any so far
I'm thinking of the London area personally, but information on all areas will be of use to punters elsewhere.
I know you can get home tests through the post, but they will not be suitable for punters who have other halves, for obvious reasons.

ICASH Suffolk allow you to order home test kits to their clinics and people can pick them up from there if they don’t want it sent to the home address.

Offline hendrix

I used to use Dean Street Express, but have switched to private clinics now with same day testing and results usually available. Last one was 2 weeks ago and I aim to test every 3/4 months depending on how active I am.

Offline sensualencounter

There’s also this thread https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?topic=339829.0 where I’ve highlighted the issues I’ve had (insistence on non anonymity, no walk ups - all booked appointments but only if urgent, limited testing in the home kits). It’s a shit show round my way and a few others on the thread have highlighted similar issues in their areas.

Offline davy321

I was one holiday couple of weeks ago. So phoned Sheffield GUM for a standard routine check the Friday before and got an appointment for the Tuesday. Went, blood and urine samples taken. Got a text the following week to say I was all clear. Can't fault the service I've had from Sheffield over the last few years. All the people I've seen there have been really friendly.

Offline Sedlmayer

I used to use Dean Street Express, but have switched to private clinics now with same day testing and results usually available. Last one was 2 weeks ago and I aim to test every 3/4 months depending on how active I am.

Google "GUM Clinics London" for links for private clinics, in central London - it's not cheap for a private test at around £75.00, but if you can afford a punt you can afford a test, and it could save messing around home testing etc.
Obviously change "London" to "Manchester", "Birmingham", "Glasgow" as appropriate.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 08:57:48 am by Sedlmayer »

Offline hendrix

Could you provide links for a private clinic, preferably central London please?

This group has clinics all over London

External Link/Members Only

Offline Sedlmayer

Offline hendrix

Thanks for the link.

No problem, I've found them to be pretty efficient.

Offline extraa

I'm quite lucky in Wales that we can order home test kits for free. It seems easier now for me as previously the walk in here was limited to early morning's only so I was working and could never go.

Mind you, the home blood test for HIV/Syphilis, Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B is a right ball ache. I'd much rather pop in and have it taken out of my arm any day  :D

Offline Razor Boy

I'm quite lucky in Wales that we can order home test kits for free. It seems easier now for me as previously the walk in here was limited to early morning's only so I was working and could never go.

Mind you, the home blood test for HIV/Syphilis, Hepatitis C and Hepatitis B is a right ball ache. I'd much rather pop in and have it taken out of my arm any day  :D

Have you a link mate...I'm on the Welsh border and may sneak in if lucky.
My SH24 link for free home testing has gone to shit since the first lockdown and there seems no chance in my area now. Any other links for free home testing kits out there folks or is that clown BoJo keeping them all for himself?

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
My SH24 link for free home testing has gone to shit since the first lockdown and there seems no chance in my area now. Any other links for free home testing kits out there folks or is that clown BoJo keeping them all for himself?

Sorry that was SH24, I did find another I will find it again.

I did manage to get a HIV & syphilis test kit from External Link/Members Only even though most schemes including SH24 don't usually cover my area.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 11:30:58 pm by Strawberry »

Offline simon07

:hi: Many thanks for these links guys. very useful indeed.

Offline extraa

External Link/Members Only

Offline Lou2019

• Service Provider

I find ordering the SH24 in the middle of the night is the best way. I could be wrong but I think they only send a certain amount out each day or something as when I’ve tried to order say mid afternoon they wasn’t any available.

Offline Sedlmayer

No problem, I've found them to be pretty efficient.

I'll certainly give them a go.
Like you, I used to use Dean St - does anyone have any information about what they, and other London GUM clinics intend to do in the future? Are walk-ins gone for good?