Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: A Covid-19 vaccine at last!  (Read 96358 times)

Offline sanchez

The official guidance: External Link/Members Only

Your employer may have set their own criteria though.

The official guidance sets out when you can stop self-isolating but it seems your employer has their own criteria for returning to work.

Yea that’s my interpretation of it. Unless you have a fever or feel unwell then you can end isolation. It doesn’t mention having to provide a negative test.

Offline PatMacGroin

One of my questions is would a common cold be a 'tipper' ie prevent someone recovering from other ailments in the same way Covid-19 seems to tip patients over the edge.

Regards test kits, what on earth are people doing with them. Current kits are stick up nose swish, stick in solution swish around, 4 drops on test cartridge. On the other hand when kits were throat then nose I know someone who did that the other way around, however shouldn't result be the same? Extract mucus, snot, add reagent, mix, drop on test?

The home LFT's should really be inserted quite deep into the nose. To gather the mucus directly from the nasal cavity. Some guidelines I've seen suggest 2.5 cm should be enough.

I've seen people swirling the stick round just inside their nostril. You can till see that the wider tip of the stick hasn't been fully inserted into the nose. Sometimes I have seen people push really hard, so that you can see the nostrils pushed out of shape. It looks like they are trying to pierce their nostril from the inside. They are not gently locating the opening of their nasal cavity first.  Unsurprisingly the results were negative even though they had a positive PCR (not sure how they managed to do the PCR successfully, maybe the virus particles were picked up from their tonsils).

Offline petermisc

One of my questions is would a common cold be a 'tipper' ie prevent someone recovering from other ailments in the same way Covid-19 seems to tip patients over the edge.
Common sense suggests that your body will have a harder time fighting off two different infections at the same time, than just one.

For ailments or procedures that weaken your immune system, any infection poses a greater risk.  For example, even everyday infections that your body normally bats off without you noticing can be a danger for those taking chemo.

Offline petermisc

I see that IKEA have joined the list of companies who will be cutting the sick pay for unvaccinated staff who are having to self-isolate, paying just basic SSP.

It took awhile to get my head around the details, but it looks like they will still be paying full sick pay to all staff who test positive, whether vaccinated or not.  So this won't act as a disincentive to get tested.  It is only those who have come into contact with someone who has tested positive, and is required to self-isolate because they are unvaccinated, who will be affected.

Seems reasonable to me - why should IKEA take the financial hit that is a direct result of someone choosing not to get vaccinated?

Offline Gordon Bennett

This had limited reporting in the news...

ONS stats confirming how many covid deaths up to December 2021 in England and Wales due to covid using normal interpretations that would apply to recording deaths from something like say, flu.

Grand total is 17300ish. By comparison, over a similar period you'd expect at least 75000 flu deaths.

External Link/Members Only

Offline Doc Holliday

ONS stats confirming how many covid deaths up to December 2021 in England and Wales due to covid using normal interpretations that would apply to recording deaths from something like say, flu.

Grand total is 17300ish. By comparison, over a similar period you'd expect at least 75000 flu deaths.

Both the highlighted statements are incorrect. 17,300 is the number of death certificates where Covid is the SOLE cause of death on the certificate.

Both target predominantly those with comorbidities, so most certificate would record other conditions. Flu is even more unlikely to be recorded as the sole cause of death, without any other underlying or contributing cause.

Offline GingerNuts

The figures only go up to September 2021 and those with underlying causes who died probably wouldn't have died when they did without COVID. So why are you comparing COVID deaths with no underlying causes to the entire number of possible deaths involving the flu (a number you've pulled out of your arse anyway)?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 08:42:11 pm by GingerNuts »

Offline RedKettle

Perhaps next time you hear about something in the data has been under reported just pause and wonder if what you are thinking or being told passes a sense check.

Offline anyfucker

Perhaps next time you hear about something in the data has been under reported just pause and wonder if what you are thinking or being told passes a sense check.
Of course everybody should try and think for themselves, also where figures have been over reported.
The figures quoted are from the Office of National Statistics ONS so probably pretty accurate.

an official site that shows date well is:

You can see that covid impacts those over 60 far more than the youngsters, in fact the average age of death from covid is 82.5 slightly over average life expectancy.

Offline GingerNuts

Of course everybody should try and think for themselves, also where figures have been over reported.
The figures quoted are from the Office of National Statistics ONS so probably pretty accurate.

No one has doubted the accuracy of the ONS COVID figues, the problem is what GB is trying to make of them.

You can see that covid impacts those over 60 far more than the youngsters, in fact the average age of death from covid is 82.5 slightly over average life expectancy.

The average 82.5 year old has an average life expectancy of 7-8 years.

Offline RedKettle

The ONS is fantastic and we are lucky to have them. I was not doubting their figures, they will be as good as you can get and their methodology is honest and free from undue influence.

It is how people try and interpret them that can be problematic. Sometimes just an honest mistake, many are not good with data, but sometime deliberate. GB has a habit of always misinterpreting data in one direction so I suspect is picking up his gems from a dubious source and might be wise just to pause and reflect on them.

Offline mradventures

number of deaths isnt the only factor, its hospital capacity is the main one and thats 18,500 people or so currently, out of i think, 140,000 beds

Offline Doc Holliday

So why are you comparing COVID deaths with no underlying causes to the entire number of possible deaths involving the flu (a number you've pulled out of your arse anyway)?

Like for like, the comparable number of deaths where influenza was the sole cause of death mentioned on the death certificate was 1598 in 2018 and 1223 in 2019. Deaths for Flu in the UK in 2020 will be greatly distorted downwards due to extremely low levels of the virus.

The data for Flu is complex as historically it has been grouped together with pneumonia. This takes the total numbers to 29,516 in 2018 and 26,398 in 2019.  Both of those years were above average flu years.

EDIT I should add ONS figures relate to England and Wales only.

So comparative figures for a two year period (using 2020 to date for Covid and 2018/2019 for Flu) are

Sole cause on certificate  Covid 17,300  Flu 2821

Bear in mind also that the mitigation factors during Covid have reduced the potential number of Covid deaths (and flu also) which did not apply in 2018/19 to affect Flu rates.

Edit. I should add that ONS figures relate to England and Wales only.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:02:45 pm by Doc Holliday »

Offline Gordon Bennett

I forgot to mention the average age of those 17K who really did die of covid during the pandemic was 81 and a bit, just a tad older than UK average life expectancy.

Offline GingerNuts

I forgot to mention the average age of those 17K who really did die of covid during the pandemic was 81 and a bit, just a tad older than UK average life expectancy.

You're an idiot who comes out more idiotic statements when the previous ones are shot down. Those who had underlying health conditions likely wouldn't have died when they did but for COVID. On average an 81 year old who died lost nearly a decade of life.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 07:12:30 pm by GingerNuts »

Offline PepeMAGA

number of deaths isnt the only factor, its hospital capacity is the main one and thats 18,500 people or so currently, out of i think, 140,000 beds
That's the thing I think isn't it. Regardless of their reason for being seriously ill with it, they still take up the same bed in hospital.
That being said (and I might be wrong as I don't watch a lot of msm) more could be made of the impact of poor nutrition and obesity on survival and hospitalisation.

Offline mradventures

yeah, but for many people they cant afford good food :(.

Offline Blackpool Rock

Define "Good food"  :unknown:

There are quite a few people who claim poverty yet they can seemingly afford to but takeaway food regularly and I don't mean as a weekend treat for Friday night.
People claim they can't afford fresh fruit and veg for their kids but give them McDonalds and a bag of Haribo instead.

You can buy 5Kg of spuds for less than £2 but guess what they need peeling / chopping / cutting / mashing / cooking etc, the same with carrots and some other veg
In short it takes some forethought / preparation and effort but even if you can't be arsed peeling shit you can but a Kg of frozen peas / sweetcorn for about a quid and microwave it hot

Offline andy172

The number of times I see an interview of a Mum (usually single) saying she can't afford to feed the kids, but manages to pay for fags, booze, phones and sky etc.. Also, have you seen the size of some them? Can't afford to eat? You don't get that large on fresh air.

Offline Marmalade

+1 last two posts, Andy&Blackpool.

While Kings & Queens can play the pauper if they choose, the reverse isn’t true. The pauper then tries to ‘prove’  she’s really a princess with hundreds of likes on her social media, other fat cunts who agree with her. Attention seeking slobs basically.

Ditto fattists, incels, religious nuts, anti-vaccers. They collect pseudo-science or pseudo-ethics to ‘justify’ the fact that they should be allowed (metaphorically) to ‘drive on the wrong side of the road’. Anti-establishment cunts whose ideology is not to make a better world, a better society, simply to demand public opinion revolves around their fucked-up lazy shit-head thinking.

Offline PepeMAGA

Not wholly their own fault, in that they may not know how to shop/cook healthy within a budget, but that's the great thing about having the Internet... Everyone has to take responsibility for their own health. Even if it's starting today.
That aside, the government could either suggest or provide supplements. Around 45% of the population are vitamin D deficient, around 75 in minority groups.

Offline Thephoenix

+1 last two posts, Andy&Blackpool.

While Kings & Queens can play the pauper if they choose, the reverse isn’t true. The pauper then tries to ‘prove’  she’s really a princess with hundreds of likes on her social media, other fat cunts who agree with her. Attention seeking slobs basically.

Ditto fattists, incels, religious nuts, anti-vaccers. They collect pseudo-science or pseudo-ethics to ‘justify’ the fact that they should be allowed (metaphorically) to ‘drive on the wrong side of the road’. Anti-establishment cunts whose ideology is not to make a better world, a better society, simply to demand public opinion revolves around their fucked-up lazy shit-head thinking.

Don't be so restrained and reticent. :D

Offline mradventures

Define "Good food"  :unknown:

There are quite a few people who claim poverty yet they can seemingly afford to but takeaway food regularly and I don't mean as a weekend treat for Friday night.
People claim they can't afford fresh fruit and veg for their kids but give them McDonalds and a bag of Haribo instead.

You can buy 5Kg of spuds for less than £2 but guess what they need peeling / chopping / cutting / mashing / cooking etc, the same with carrots and some other veg
In short it takes some forethought / preparation and effort but even if you can't be arsed peeling shit you can but a Kg of frozen peas / sweetcorn for about a quid and microwave it hot

healthy, nutricious food is what i mean by good food. yes, some fruit and veg is cheap, but there can be issues with storage or having electric to cook. its not just coincidence that poor people often eat bad food... its cheaper. more so in america, probably, but can be true here.
and when your stressed, you crave high suger, high fat, high salt foods. guess whose often stressed?
also poor people cant afford to bulk buy.

its partly circumstances and "personal responsibility", both are there.

Offline Blackpool Rock

healthy, nutricious food is what i mean by good food. yes, some fruit and veg is cheap, but there can be issues with storage or having electric to cook. its not just coincidence that poor people often eat bad food... its cheaper. more so in america, probably, but can be true here.
and when your stressed, you crave high suger, high fat, high salt foods. guess whose often stressed?

Simply not true, people need to stop apologising for others and instead tell them to take some responsibility

Offline Aldebaran

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of heading to Spain for a holiday. Up to now, you just needed to be double jabbed, but the Spanish are now insisting visitors must also have had a third booster vaccination. The UK may be easing off on restrictions, but looks like a few other countries are digging in for a long haul.

Offline RedKettle

Just a heads up for anyone thinking of heading to Spain for a holiday. Up to now, you just needed to be double jabbed, but the Spanish are now insisting visitors must also have had a third booster vaccination. The UK may be easing off on restrictions, but looks like a few other countries are digging in for a long haul.

I am not sure that is "digging in".  I think most countries will be relying on vaccination programmes as the first/only line of defence as they free up and remove all other restrictions and get to the point where we are living with Covid.  I suspect anti vax people will find it increasingly hard to go out of the country to the main holiday destinations.

Perhaps after a certain date we should only allow people who could have been jabbed in 2021 to get vaccinated for the first time if they sign an apology for the problems they caused.   :D :D

Online gbyld87

Sounds like a reasonable point of view to me.

Offline Gordon Bennett

These CDC findings from November are interesting, again mostly ignored by the access media.

Anyway, their study found that it was a complete waste of time to vaccinate someone who'd previously caught covid - doing so had zero effect on the chances of hospitalisation or death thereafter.

It's very detailed and longwinded and does include reasonable statistical adjustment to account for real world demographics. As with all CDC stats it's a rock solid impartial data driven report.

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
These CDC findings from November are interesting, again mostly ignored by the access media.

Anyway, their study found that it was a complete waste of time to vaccinate someone who'd previously caught covid - doing so had zero effect on the chances of hospitalisation or death thereafter.

It's very detailed and longwinded and does include reasonable statistical adjustment to account for real world demographics. As with all CDC stats it's a rock solid impartial data driven report.

I heard about this via Dr J C's report he agrees, but of course things are changing all the time. A couple of people I know who ended up in ICU with Covid were incredibly eager to have their vaccination ASAP afterwards, the ICU stays were just as vaccines were being rolled out, they caught it before they were able to receive vaccine. Their experiences had a huge impact (still has), they'd do anything to avoid that again.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:06:22 pm by Strawberry »

Offline GingerNuts

Your lack of response to the replies made to your earlier posts speaks volumes.

Anyway...

CDC released a statement on the findings, noting important caveats - namely that the analysis was conducted prior to the spread of Omicron and before widespread implementation of booster doses, and also that the data set did not include information on severity of initial infection among those who were previously infected.

They cited a recent study that found that "with increasing time since prior infection, vaccination provides greater protection against COVID-19."

As initial infection among unvaccinated individuals "increases risk for serious illness, hospitalization, long-term sequelae and death," they concluded that "vaccination remains the safest and primary strategy to prevent SARS-CoV-2 infections, associated complications, and onward transmission."
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:37:43 pm by GingerNuts »

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
Your lack of response to the replies made to your earlier posts speaks volumes.

Anyway...

Thank you yes the opinion was the evidence stood in the 'age of.....variant', but may not apply to the age of Omicron and on.

Also that seeking infection as a route to immunity is 'unwise'.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 12:42:41 pm by Strawberry »

Offline Marmalade

New report on vaccine mandates…

In August Quebec’s government said that it would restrict access to bars and gyms for unvaccinated citizens. As other Canadian provinces followed suit, they created a natural experiment. Researchers estimate that 287,000 more people were vaccinated within six weeks as a result of the additional restrictions. Another study finds that France, Germany and Italy not only increased jab uptake by introducing stricter rules but also prevented 46,000 hospital admissions, €9.5bn ($11.2bn) in economic losses and 6,400 deaths.

Offline PepeMAGA

Thank you yes the opinion was the evidence stood in the 'age of.....variant', but may not apply to the age of Omicron and on.

Also that seeking infection as a route to immunity is 'unwise'.
Yes, trying to catch covid... To get immunity from covid is unwise. However, if you've already had it, it doesn't make sense to get vaccinated soon afterwards.
Though anecdotally, it seems the original wuhan strain offers less protection against the later mutations

Offline mradventures

ive seen that arguement put forward by anti vaxx'ers  :lol: :crazy:

anyone got thoughts on england easing travel restrictions ?
on a personal level it means i could travel again, on the other it probably means getting on a aircraft full of people who have dodged doing a test, so they can fly in ignorance, so can definitely get home... which i guess would be my plan too :(

would be interesting to know the hit rate too, how many people did get positive test results from these travel testing regimes
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 03:06:02 am by mradventures »

Offline RedKettle

I am so surprised another post from you that is anti vaccine, how amazing.  Oh well at least we will get a detailed response to anyone who has the good grace to reply to you.

The study was before the delightful new Omi darling and if you complete your reading you will see how weak the previous infection protection is against the new variant. Vaccines are also weaker but remain the best defence.

It is not that proper media sources ignore these things but that they know they are one part of a picture which they understand and you do not.

Offline anyfucker

Yes, trying to catch covid... To get immunity from covid is unwise. However, if you've already had it, it doesn't make sense to get vaccinated soon afterwards.
Though anecdotally, it seems the original wuhan strain offers less protection against the later mutations
Anecdotally i had the original Wuhan strain then nothing despite plenty of close contact with  Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta strains caught nothing until recently with Omicron.
Realised my zinc dosage was too low and probably also vit D3
From what I read it looks like the Omicron strain provides immunity against the Delta strain - that's another reason why it is out competing it.

Offline anyfucker

New report on vaccine mandates…

In August Quebec’s government said that it would restrict access to bars and gyms for unvaccinated citizens. As other Canadian provinces followed suit, they created a natural experiment. Researchers estimate that 287,000 more people were vaccinated within six weeks as a result of the additional restrictions. Another study finds that France, Germany and Italy not only increased jab uptake by introducing stricter rules but also prevented 46,000 hospital admissions, €9.5bn ($11.2bn) in economic losses and 6,400 deaths.
just for you Marmalade, recording of Tess Lawrie zoom call Andrew Hill covering up Ivermectin

But let's not be too harsh, if i had $40m from Billy Gates maybe I'd be happy to have 500k people die ?

FWIW
Israel Flag of Israel today: Approved the 4th shot for the entire adult population.

Also Israel Flag of Israel today: Broke a new record for most daily cases in the world.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 11:38:06 am by anyfucker »

Offline PatMacGroin

just for you Marmalade, recording of Tess Lawrie zoom call Andrew Hill covering up Ivermectin

But let's not be too harsh, if i had $40m from Billy Gates maybe I'd be happy to have 500k people die ?

FWIW
Israel Flag of Israel today: Approved the 4th shot for the entire adult population.

Also Israel Flag of Israel today: Broke a new record for most daily cases in the world.

I couldn't see what the twitter video was supposed to be revealing. I found this article which includes sections of transcripts of the whole conversation. Very interesting:

The transcripts of the discussion does appear to show that key medical researchers are being influenced to delay or prevent the approval of medical treatments that could be an alternative to vaccines.

(P.S. I'm not familiar with the world tribune, or know if it has any particular bias or recognised agenda.)

Offline mradventures

i looked last week for the nhs ivermectin trial results and couldnt find them.. which leads me to believe its marginally effective (if it was very effective they could clearly see that, and end the trial early) and also if it did nothing or made things worse, they could tell that in a medium length of time.

Offline catweazle

(P.S. I'm not familiar with the world tribune, or know if it has any particular bias or recognised agenda.)

World Tribune is a Soka Gakkai Nichiren Buddhist publication, from the SGI -  from their website.  I have no idea what political leanings Buddhist publications  may have,  though

Offline Doc Holliday

World Tribune is a Soka Gakkai Nichiren Buddhist publication, from the SGI -  from their website.  I have no idea what political leanings Buddhist publications  may have,  though

That's a different World Tribune and is a respectable publication. The US one linked to by Pat has a 'fringe' political agenda. External Link/Members Only

Offline hawai5o

Interesting article on Covid data and its possible manipulation in China .

Offline Squire Haggard

An arsehole called Joe Rogan has a huge following amongst the hard of thinking, on Spotify. Their motto is, ''if its a conspiracy theory, it must be true.''

''In an open letter to his manager and record label this week, Neil Young demanded that his songs be removed from the streaming platform, after he accused Rogan of spreading vaccine misinformation, as well as other conspiracy theories.'' Well done to him.

''Young is not the only one complaining about Rogan.
Just a few weeks back, 270 doctors, scientists, healthcare professionals and professors wrote an open letter to Spotify, expressing concern about medical misinformation on his podcast.
The Joe Rogan Experience is the most popular podcast on Spotify, and the American commentator penned a $100m deal back in 2020 that gave it exclusive rights to his show.''

Offline JamesKW

An arsehole called Joe Rogan has a huge following amongst the hard of thinking, on Spotify. Their motto is, ''if its a conspiracy theory, it must be true.''

''In an open letter to his manager and record label this week, Neil Young demanded that his songs be removed from the streaming platform, after he accused Rogan of spreading vaccine misinformation, as well as other conspiracy theories.'' Well done to him.

Just a few weeks back, 270 doctors, scientists, healthcare professionals and professors wrote an open letter to Spotify, expressing concern about medical misinformation on his podcast.
The Joe Rogan Experience is the most popular podcast on Spotify, and the American commentator penned a $100m deal back in 2020 that gave it exclusive rights to his show.''

Personally I have never heard of Joe Rogan,but I am not sure how much control Neil Young has over his catalogue as he sold 50% of it to a venture capitalist.I have heard most of Neil Young's catalogue and have always wondered how he has obtained so much credibility with music journo types.

Offline Marmalade

Personally I have never heard of Joe Rogan,but I am not sure how much control Neil Young has over his catalogue as he sold 50% of it to a venture capitalist.I have heard most of Neil Young's catalogue and have always wondered how he has obtained so much credibility with music journo types.

He was pretty influential back in the day… .

He’s also a purist. Sunk a big chunk of his personal fortune in developing and trying to get recording companies to buy into a purer digital sound. Those who remember vinyl on a top notch system know that the best digital stuff is far less rich. His invention was successful yet they didn’t buy into it. But respect to him persevering.

Offline catweazle

Met a guy the other day, who refused to be vaccinated  as he " didn't  believe  in it". He got covid-19 badly last Spring, (hospitalised bad).

Recovered, decided against  vaccination as he " thought he had immunity  having contracted  it".

Tested positive  on New Years Day.

Now wants a vaccination but has to wait 28 days after the end of his isolation  period.

Offline Squire Haggard

I must listen to some Neil Young. I'll probably remember some from way back. Bob Dylan sang......''and listen to Neil Young''.... therefore worth investigating IMO.

Offline Steelworker

Met a guy the other day, who refused to be vaccinated  as he " didn't  believe  in it". He got covid-19 badly last Spring, (hospitalised bad).

Recovered, decided against  vaccination as he " thought he had immunity  having contracted  it".

Tested positive  on New Years Day.

Now wants a vaccination but has to wait 28 days after the end of his isolation  period.

It’s amazing how emotional arguments win over solid data. It was ever thus. I’ll never forget a woman doing a detox from cosmetics and all the nasty chemicals in them doing a video diary saying how much better she felt while drinking a big glass of wine and smoking a fag.

Offline PepeMAGA

Rogan is a cool guy.
He advocates vulnerable people having the vaccine,
Chose another route for himself which was equally effective.
He's had both pro and anti vax people on his show.

Online badsin

Rogan is a cool guy.
He advocates vulnerable people having the vaccine,
Chose another route for himself which was equally effective.
He's had both pro and anti vax people on his show.

Totally agree. At the beginning of this JR had guys on who were completely opposite opinions to Dr Malone.
I'd say JR is actually a refreshing source of media, he's quite happy to discuss and debate from differing opinions and views, on all sorts of issues.