Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Premium Bonds ?  (Read 6503 times)

Offline standardpostage

Premium Bonds. I've had some for 46 years [ less than £200 worth]. Never won a bean.
Don't know anyone who has won on them either  :unknown:
Anyone here had any luck with them ?
I think they were very popular at one time, before the Lottery was invented.

Offline myothernameis

When I was 10 years old, I won a £1000 prize, which my parent invested in a saving account

Offline robsmith149

I've had them for about 3 years, got the max amount in there, averaging about £125 a month in prizes at the minute.

Offline standardpostage

When I was 10 years old, I won a £1000 prize, which my parent invested in a saving account
:thumbsup:
Good parents.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 03:44:50 pm by standardpostage »

Offline standardpostage

I've had them for about 3 years, got the max amount in there, averaging about £125 a month in prizes at the minute.
I think, if I won, I would most probably, punt more  :)
If I won big, I would help my children, with a house deposit  :)
PS Had to google max amount.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 03:42:22 pm by standardpostage »

Offline RandomGuy99

I win about £150 a month. Had them for 20 years and just reinvest the winnings.

Online Squire Haggard

I've also got the max amount. Recently, its not been good. I'm getting less than you on average. Its about to get better, starting on Tuesday.  :mad: :angry:

Offline standardpostage

Well done.

Offline RandomGuy99

Well done.
The odds are 24,000-1.

The max holding is £50,000.

So if you have the max holding you should win at least 2 prizes a month.

You're unlikely to win big with a small holding in Premium Bonds.

External Link/Members Only

98.1% of people who have put £50,000 in premium bonds over 1 year win more than £750.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 03:57:38 pm by RandomGuy99 »

Offline Blackpool Rock

Both parents has either the max or just shy of it and seemed to get a couple of £25 wins each most months.

I've got 4 that were bought by grandparents etc when I was born or a couple of years old, I did win a £50 prize about 25 years ago and my sister was like fuck as she's never won fuck all  :yahoo:
Lost track of where they are, they will still be registered to a house I lived in over 20 years ago so I may have another unclaimed prize  :unknown:

Offline Harry Monk

Had varying amounts over the years and as you might imagine the more you have the more chances therefore often get more prizes.
Quite often 1 or 2 £25s most months with some gaps.

This year has started off the best ever with over £500 already but I do have the max amount.
Would be fantastic to win on of the bigger prizes but quite content with the return.

Offline Mr Rollison

I've had a £1000 for just over 3 years.
Won nothing.

Offline standardpostage

I've had a £1000 for just over 3 years.
Won nothing.
Hope ERNIE picks your numbers, soon.

Offline standardpostage

Just had a quick google.
They came out in 1956.
Not long after I was born, yes I am that old  :)

Online willie loman

the size of the prize fund depends on interest rates, so at the moment if you have a fair amount, you will win most months.

Offline RandomGuy99

Hope ERNIE picks your numbers, soon.
ERNIE doesn't know anything about the numbers.

It generates random numbers. Some map to bond numbers. Some don't so they keep going until they get enough matches.

Offline RandomGuy99

Lost track of where they are, they will still be registered to a house I lived in over 20 years ago so I may have another unclaimed prize  :unknown:
Try External Link/Members Only to trace them down.

Offline cmspunk

I have the max amount in from middle of last year and won every month on average £200 but didn’t win anything this month just gone. Hope that was a one off!

Online WARSZAWA16

Have got £3,000 worth. Had them for around 10 years or so. Won £25 the very first month, and a few £25 prizes subsequently.

Offline standardpostage

I have the max amount in from middle of last year and won every month on average £200 but didn’t win anything this month just gone. Hope that was a one off!
Well done  :thumbsup: Good contribution to our hobby / pastime.

Offline standardpostage

Have got £3,000 worth. Had them for around 10 years or so. Won £25 the very first month, and a few £25 prizes subsequently.
Nice one  :thumbsup: You've got to be "in it to win it".
Quote nicked from somewhere else.

Offline Payyourwaymate

I had the max amount once, didn't really win much during that time it was at that amount but odds and all I guess.

Offline kuck

Consistently £150? You seem to be consistently very lucky, considering the interest rate (and payout) has only recently gone up.

I think for the max investment of 50k, the expected return would be £125 with the current rate of interest. This has been my return, more or less. The good thing about it is that it is not taxable.

Offline RandomGuy99

I had the max amount once, didn't really win much during that time it was at that amount but odds and all I guess.
At one point the odds were 35,000-1. Much better odds now.

Offline Payyourwaymate

At one point the odds were 35,000-1. Much better odds now.

Ah yes you're right. I do remember NS&I were increasing their rates due to the BOE interest rate rises. I don't have 50K cash anymore though so yeah, that will be pending in my case for me to see how that could pan out when I get the max amount again.

Offline robsmith149

Just checked the big winners for this month, nothing above 5k for me but someone who has held a £2 bond since 1957 has won 5k, hope they're still alive lol.

Hidden Image/Members Only
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 03:50:26 pm by robsmith149 »

Offline RandomGuy99

They have a prize checker app now too which makes it easy to track your winnings.

Online Squire Haggard

Just checked the big winners for this month, nothing above 5k for me but someone who has held a £2 bond since 1957 has won 5k, hope they're still alive lol.

Hidden Image/Members Only

I noticed that as well. I keep a look out for that kind of win, just out of curiosity. I've got about 3 from 1969, but they are listed as 1957. They have not won anything.

Offline RandomGuy99

Online WARSZAWA16

Nice one  :thumbsup: You've got to be "in it to win it".
Quote nicked from somewhere else.
Indeed. As opposed to the Eskimo lottery, where you have to be Inuit to win it... :rolleyes:

Offline RandomGuy99

Just checked my winnings for this month. Got £100

Offline Blackpool Rock

You mean you got a 30 minute punt  :yahoo:

Offline standardpostage

Indeed. As opposed to the Eskimo lottery, where you have to be Inuit to win it... :rolleyes:
:lol:

Offline standardpostage

Well done   :thumbsup:

Can I borrow £50  :)

Offline RandomGuy99

Well done   :thumbsup:

Can I borrow £50  :)
Takes my average winnings down to £125 a month.

Offline kuck

I won £0 :D
I suppose bad news for some local SP :(

Offline pythondan

I bought £2000 worth about 28 years ago after my mum won £500 on them from a £3k holding.

I never won anything for years then had a burst of wins. These became more frequent when the minimum prize went from £50 to £25.

I had my biggest win this month - £100.

I have always had the automatically re-invest winnings setting enabled and my holding has grown to £3,300.

If my calculations are correct the growth represents approximately 1.8% interest over the term they have been invested. Not great but by no means the worst investment I have made.

Offline RandomGuy99

I bought £2000 worth about 28 years ago after my mum won £500 on them from a £3k holding.

I never won anything for years then had a burst of wins. These became more frequent when the minimum prize went from £50 to £25.

I had my biggest win this month - £100.

I have always had the automatically re-invest winnings setting enabled and my holding has grown to £3,300.

If my calculations are correct the growth represents approximately 1.8% interest over the term they have been invested. Not great but by no means the worst investment I have made.
Interest rate equivalent should be 3.30% in the long term.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 01:41:59 pm by RandomGuy99 »

Offline pythondan

Really? - I guess my luck is below average then  :(

Offline robsmith149

Online timsussex

Thats the rate now - it has been lower over the last few years
It was less than 2% from Dec 2008 until Oct  2022  and has been as low as 1% so 1.8% is actually quite lucky
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 02:30:06 am by timsussex »

Online Jonestown

Best I ever had was £500 ten years ago, best routine prize was £125 made up wins on four individual bonds.

This month it was £100 from two bonds

Offline standardpostage

Best I ever had was £500 ten years ago, best routine prize was £125 made up wins on four individual bonds.

This month it was £100 from two bonds
If you keep winning, you may have to change your username, to James Bond  :)

Offline RandomGuy99

Apparently premium bonds are bad and you be investing in these instead:

NS&I savings accounts – and what you should buy instead

Account type   Interest rate                                   What you should get instead

Premium Bonds   3.30pc annual prize fund rate   Easy-access account paying 3.71pc with Chip (app only)
Green Savings Bonds   4.20pc Issue 4, 3-year fixed   Three-year bond paying 5pc with Isabank
Direct Saver   2.85pc   Easy-access account paying 3.71pc with Chip
Direct ISA   2.15pc   Variable Isa paying 4pc with Marsden Building Society
Junior ISA   3.40pc   Junior Isa paying 4.15pc with Coventry Building Society
Guaranteed Income Bonds   3.90pc gross/3.97pc AER Issue 70, 1-year fixed   One-year bond 4.81pc with Vanquis (interest paid monthly)
Guaranteed Growth Bonds   4.00pc Issue 70, 1-year fixed   One-year bond paying 5pc with Isabank
Income Bonds   2.85pc gross/2.89pc AER   Easy-access account paying 3.71pc with Chip (interest paid monthly)

Source: Moneyfacts

Offline Malvolio

Yes, but it's the very slim chance of scoring a big win that keeps us holding them.

Online Jonestown

Yes, but it's the very slim chance of scoring a big win that keeps us holding them.

And that premium bond winnings are tax free.

Online Squire Haggard

And that premium bond winnings are tax free.

........and with a bit of luck you can beat the interest rate from a bank over lets say, a year. Mine have done that in the past, but not in recent months. :angry:

Offline radioman33

Apparently premium bonds are bad and you be investing in these instead:

NS&I savings accounts – and what you should buy instead

Account type   Interest rate                                   What you should get instead

Premium Bonds   3.30pc annual prize fund rate   Easy-access account paying 3.71pc with Chip (app only)
Green Savings Bonds   4.20pc Issue 4, 3-year fixed   Three-year bond paying 5pc with Isabank
Direct Saver   2.85pc   Easy-access account paying 3.71pc with Chip
Direct ISA   2.15pc   Variable Isa paying 4pc with Marsden Building Society
Junior ISA   3.40pc   Junior Isa paying 4.15pc with Coventry Building Society
Guaranteed Income Bonds   3.90pc gross/3.97pc AER Issue 70, 1-year fixed   One-year bond 4.81pc with Vanquis (interest paid monthly)
Guaranteed Growth Bonds   4.00pc Issue 70, 1-year fixed   One-year bond paying 5pc with Isabank
Income Bonds   2.85pc gross/2.89pc AER   Easy-access account paying 3.71pc with Chip (interest paid monthly)

Source: Moneyfacts

The whole point of buying them is you can win a million ££ and your money is safe .Coventry BS are offering good rates.

Offline robsmith149