Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Advice on upgrading punting phone  (Read 2341 times)

Offline mcardle464

My punting phone is a tenner nokia. Served me well for over a year.

However with developments it seems that it would be good to have Uber and WhatsApp. So I need a smartphone.  I obviously want a cheap PAYG that will work but won't be a drain on the bank, and of course discardable at the worst case.  I'm not fussed about bells and whistles.  Have you any recommendations?

Offline george r

External Link/Members Only

no used it but at this price £25 I don't think you can wrong ?
I remember not many yrs ago how expensive even basic mobile phones were !!

Offline mcardle464

Thanks George,  I will take a look when I next go to tesco.

FootieMadJonny

I'd say just pick up a second hand iPhone 4 for about £80. iPhones are the best for the things you've said in my opinion. Then you can also take some decent photos if you want to :thumbsup:

Offline claretandblue

If you want a general mongering phone for meeting civvies I could understand an upgrade as conversing on whatsapp etc I'd understandable, in fact I used to have one before I decided to stick to punting only

If it's just for punting I don't really see any reason to ditch your Nokia  :hi:

Offline The_Don

If it's just for punting I don't really see any reason to ditch your Nokia  :hi:

+1 or just buy a non smart phone, basic calls and text is all you need.

FootieMadJonny

+1 or just buy a non smart phone, basic calls and text is all you need.
Not if you want to use what's app and other similar things

FootieMadJonny

You can pay £20 for a basic Nokia yes, but pay an extra £60 for a second hand iPhone or Samsung for example, and you'll get a much better phone with a camera etc.

You don't have to spend loads for a decent phone

Offline The_Don

The OP said they wanted a smart phone to use what's app and other similar things. You can't do this with a basic Nokia?

No and that's the point, basic phones are a safer option when it comes to protecting your real. ID

Spanky_bum_time

The alcatels are rubbish in my opinion.
Smartphones are useful because you can also use google maps which I use as a sat nav but equally useful if you have to park a bit away as can use the 'walking' sat nav option, Get a decent size screen and it's good for using aw and ukp on the go as well to make bookings and check reviews.
iPhone 4 is a good easy to use phone available cheaply from eBay, or also consider Samsung s4 or Sony Z3, 2nd hands good enough and if you buy from cex or game or cash converters or cash generator you get a guarantee.

Offline pewpewpew

no used it but at this price £25 I don't think you can wrong ?
I remember not many yrs ago how expensive even basic mobile phones were !!
Go with this one. You want cheap and disposable but can get apps like uber and whatsapp then this phone covers your needs. Can also get maps and web browser of course.

You don't need an iphone. Stick with tesco alcatel

FootieMadJonny

Go with this one. You want cheap and disposable but can get apps like uber and whatsapp then this phone covers your needs. Can also get maps and web browser of course.

You don't need an iphone. Stick with tesco alcatel
Ive used two alcatels in the past and they both broke on me within a matter of months :thumbsdown:

FootieMadJonny

No and that's the point, basic phones are a safer option when it comes to protecting your real. ID
That's fair enough but how can he do what he wants to do with a basic Nokia? He can't.

Online temptation

Perfectly adequate Vodafone smart phone £20 : if needed on another network unlock code is only £1 on eBay. 

Search 'Vodafone smart first 6' on Amazon.  £20 delivered.

Offline Dicky

Problem with using an iphone is that you cannot install an app without creating a whole new false identity.  Sure you can have a new email id, new name etc but your credit card details cannot be fudged. It can be tracked to you.  Many go lazy and use their exisng apple ids. That is the surest way to gettting caught as apple ids integrate all your activity including what you store in your address books. Facebook then pulls what you store in your address books and shows them as suggestions. Whatsapp still seems ok so far but anything else that uses a credit card is a no-no.

Offline claretandblue

That's fair enough but how can he do what he wants to do with a basic Nokia? He can't.
He says "it seems it would be good to have whatsapp " I disagree, punting is not dating, call/text fuck then leave, whatsapping back and forth is not necessary

Offline lostandfound

My punting phone is a tenner nokia. Served me well for over a year.

However with developments it seems that it would be good to have Uber and WhatsApp. So I need a smartphone.  I obviously want a cheap PAYG that will work but won't be a drain on the bank, and of course discardable at the worst case.  I'm not fussed about bells and whistles.  Have you any recommendations?

Maybe treat yourself to a new personal phone, and demote your current one to punting phone? Obviously requires your phone to be unlocked so you bung a PAYG sim in there.

Offline threechilliman

He says "it seems it would be good to have whatsapp " I disagree, punting is not dating, call/text fuck then leave, whatsapping back and forth is not necessary

Completely agree. I have a basic phone that calls and texts which is all that's required.

I can't help thinking that those that want smart phones to go punting with will eventually trip themselves up. I don't understand the technology but have heard enough tales of these things syncing with other devices to put me off. It only has to go tits up once and you'll have some explaining to do.

tcm

mikexxlong

Just keep it simple

Unless you know & fully understand all the functions and how the data, history etc. is stored/transferred & so on, and how to protect your ID & activity on the various smart phones etc. Not just think you do

Always best to use a cheap simple PAYG burner phone no unnecessary bells & whistles on the bloody thing

So if anything goes tits up, you can chuck the phone, better yet dismantle the phone then chuck

And no trace whatsoever can be made back to you, no email, credit card the list goes on and on. Everything leaves a trace but you don’t want it leading back to you

to be extra careful do not make calls from your home etc., switch of your phone well  before you get to your place of work or home etc.
As a phones position can be triangulated from the phone masts etc.

Technology exists that can switch on your phone remotely, to listen what’s going on also to triangulate the phones position etc. so remove battery

Although your phones number would have to of been connected to something quite serious for someone to do that,
 but consider this do you know everything what the WG’s phone is used for , who is she in contact with ,also what else could she be involved in/with etc., could be something pretty fucking dodgy & serious !

So just be aware & careful

Online jlike

I had a basic Samsung on Vodaphone PAYG,  text and call. When it died I got a Vodaphone Smart First 6 smart phone by cashing in my points. Transferred my old sim to it and just get a £10 PAYG bundle each month. This is my punting phone and does not relate to my private life in any way as I have a separate email account for punting as well so use that email address for anything punting related, no facebook either. I have found WhatsApp useful especially for one wg who I see who does not have a phone signal where she lives ( I know this is true as I do not have a signal there either) and can be contacted on WhatsApp quite easily. Also, suprising how many other wgs that I see are also on WhatsApp, there contact details transfer across from your contacts list when you install it.

Offline mcardle464

Thanks for the advice, guys.  A particular thank you to Temptation - the Vodaphone is incredibly cheap and seems the way to go.

Offline The_Don

I've tried all the big networks (London wise) and 3 mobile are by the the best all rounders IMO.

Good comparison of PAYG networks:

Cheapest is Three network:
3p / min, 2p / text, 1p / MB.

SIM usually costs £1 from newsagents
Minimum top-up is £10

Offline G.Raff

I agree re Nokia being a safe a good choice (plus it's small and easy to hide unlike the new smartphones)

However the OP specifically stated that he wants to upgrade to a smartphone.

I would not recommend the Alcatel as you will find it frustrating to use. (BTW you can get one in Argos including a £10 voucher from Lebara)

IMO the best option is to get a 2nd hand Motorola Moto G get the basic one, I've used it and works really well, on par as the more expensive smartphones.

Offline The_Don

I agree re Nokia being a safe a good choice (plus it's small and easy to hide unlike the new smartphones)

However the OP specifically stated that he wants to upgrade to a smartphone.

I would not recommend the Alcatel as you will find it frustrating to use. (BTW you can get one in Argos including a £10 voucher from Lebara)

IMO the best option is to get a 2nd hand Motorola Moto G get the basic one, I've used it and works really well, on par as the more expensive smartphones.

+1

Offline Gordon Bennett

Argos sell loads of unlocked SIM free phones. Moto E is good and battery life is brilliant..... Too many modern smart phones eat batteries!
An approach not mentioned is just to have a punting SIM that you can pop in your main (unlocked) phone - seems easiest solution, especially if you are a fairly infrequent punter. Easier to squirrel away a micro sim than an old Nokia I reckon.

Online dubs

Does anyone know if there's a phone which does not store deleted texts etc. There's free programs on the net that will show texts and numbers deleted months ago

Online temptation

Regarding my earlier post about cheap smart phone , here's a direct link

Offline mcardle464

I ordered one today, seemed too good a deal to miss.  Thanks again Mr T.  You can get up to two free sims on Vodaphone's site, it's right tthere on the front page.

pking_paul

I have a cleaned second hand iphone 4. No apps or anything and the camera matches the latest models when it comes to taking snaps if the WG lets you - if that's your thing like it is with me, it is fantastic bit of kit?

Offline mcardle464

I just got it today, seems perfectly fine, and apparently the battery life is good. one thing, it actually came with a sim.  For some strange reason it didn't mention it on Amazon so I took Temptation's advice and ordered 2 free ones from Vodaphone.  That means, if it becomes troublesome I can just jack the sim and put in a new one. Result.

I haven't actually tried it out as I want to buy a voucher and it was too damn parky today to bother going to the shops.

I will do a capsule review when I have got the hang of it because a £20 smartphone is a pretty amazing bargain in my view.

One thing, when I am at home I can log into the wi-fi network. That should be free?  I won't get charged vodaphone's rates for surfing the net?

Offline bluefinger

One thing, when I am at home I can log into the wi-fi network. That should be free?  I won't get charged vodaphone's rates for surfing the net?

Yes the wifi is free. and your better off doing your punting surfing on the punting phone and don't have to worry about clearing your history.

Offline mcardle464

Here's my capsule review of the Vodaphone Smart 6.  It's the shittiest piece of tech I have ever owned.  I am sending it back.  I am no technophobe but it is so awkward to operate I have started hitting it.

Offline wheeliebinwanking

Getting a punting Smartphone is a GOOD move in General but please DYOR about the MANY pitfalls of moving from Nokia Brick to a smartphone.

If you DYOR a Smartphone can end up being much more secure and really much more useful. I like the ability of sending messages via WhatsApp and Using Google Maps. But I cannot stress enough, please read all the the threads

In summary

- Use a dedicated throw away email address to setup the phone
- Do not install personal apps (FB, etc) I wouldn't even install Uber unless your single
- Switch off location history, web history, etc
- Don't share personal details

If you want a basic cheap one, my Vodafone Turbo whatever it is for 40 sheets was great. Alt pickup something used. Stay off wifi and just use data, Three have good value deals

WBW

Diehard

Someone at work clocked my tenner Nokia phone, it was dusty in my draw but my draw was open as I went to get something.

Immediately the person who saw it said, oooh not seen one of them for about a decade, that your hooker hotlist in there!!

So, I think upgrading not a bad idea as I guess having such an old phone can look a bit suspicious.

Offline claretandblue

Someone at work clocked my tenner Nokia phone, it was dusty in my draw but my draw was open as I went to get something.

Immediately the person who saw it said, oooh not seen one of them for about a decade, that your hooker hotlist in there!!

So, I think upgrading not a bad idea as I guess having such an old phone can look a bit suspicious.
At least you have identified a fellow punter at work, he probably posts on here

Offline The_Don

At least you have identified a fellow punter at work, he probably posts on here

Bet there are a few punter/colleagues around  :)

Bet there are a few punter/colleagues around  :)

Lol, I posted a topic a few months back. I do not trust guys in my office rocking brick phones. Way dodgier than sporting a modern second phone. I have two phones, one for Del Boy Buiying / Selling, my other for personal.

Both modern (android)

The guy in my office had a brand new iphone and then this teeny tiny old phone. A bit of a give away!

Diehard

Lol, I posted a topic a few months back. I do not trust guys in my office rocking brick phones. Way dodgier than sporting a modern second phone. I have two phones, one for Del Boy Buiying / Selling, my other for personal.

Both modern (android)

The guy in my office had a brand new iphone and then this teeny tiny old phone. A bit of a give away!

Yes...I hadn't thought about it until recently lol!

Offline CoolTiger

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 10
Whilst the good old basic Nokia phone has served it's purpose, it's getting to a stage where you dare not take it out in front of friends/work collegues in case you get such comments.

If asked, I have a good reason for keeping an old Nokia as a 2nd phone, but lately have thought about updating it to a BASIC smartphone, mainly for punting emails and whatsapp'ing, which is becoming increasingly popular for WGs to send photos.

Whilst the good old basic Nokia phone has served it's purpose, it's getting to a stage where you dare not take it out in front of friends/work collegues in case you get such comments.

If asked, I have a good reason for keeping an old Nokia as a 2nd phone, but lately have thought about updating it to a BASIC smartphone, mainly for punting emails and whatsapp'ing, which is becoming increasingly popular for WGs to send photos.

That's exactly it . . . . unless you collect old phones bringing out a 'hooker' phone is dodgy as.

I also have had some great banter on WA's with providers. Seems the Seeking Arrangements thread is full of members flirting away over WhatsApp

WBW

Offline claretandblue

If it's just for punting why would you get it out in front of friends or colleagues?

Mine stays locked in my draw, if I need to use it I put it in my pocket and call/text from somewhere discreet near work, it only becomes a problem if you want it to be one

Offline Malvolio

Very good point - if I'm punting after work my punting phone goes into my pocket when I leave home and only comes out when I'm on a break.

I also have a reputation as a tight sod so I doubt if anyone would be surprised to see me with a ten year old phone.

Offline sharpshoes78

I have a new simple nokia button phone. It has no internet but sd card support for listening to music
I use it as a gym phone and have a hidden sim around for punting