Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: PAYG Punting phone  (Read 1087 times)

Offline Laid_back_bloke

After a bit of advice.
I’ve just upgraded my Punting phone from an old basic Vodafone Nokia to a iPhone 4s (acquired free, so no real choice).

It’s on EE, & can’t really go getting it unlocked. What’s best PAYG deal out there.

Thanks

Offline Steve2

After a bit of advice.
I’ve just upgraded my Punting phone from an old basic Vodafone Nokia to a iPhone 4s (acquired free, so no real choice).

It’s on EE, & can’t really go getting it unlocked. What’s best PAYG deal out there.

Thanks

If you can't get it unlocked then you are stuck with EE.

JamesFD

If you can't get it unlocked then you are stuck with EE.

Not strictly true as you could maybe use an MVNO that uses the EE network:
External Link/Members Only

Offline Waterhouse

Could always contact them and ask for unlock code if available. Most likely a charge for this though if they can provide one.

I was always baffled by the fact that Apple would allow what is in essence a third party to mess with their own firmware.  :unknown:

Offline Avg_Joe

i think the asda 50p pay as you go sims are on EE, for 50p you have nothing to lose, they come with 5 mins and 5 texts with which you could test it
Banned reason: White knight.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline mrfishyfoo

I use 3 as there's no time limits on the credits and it can all be done with cash.

Offline Avg_Joe

asda ones can all be done with cash, but there is a minimum use policy, one call to the speaking clock or a text every 3 months takes care of that

Offline mrfishyfoo

asda ones can all be done with cash, but there is a minimum use policy, one call to the speaking clock or a text every 3 months takes care of that

No minimum use on 3 as long as the phone gets turned on every so often.

Offline Laid_back_bloke

Kinda stuck with EE, as it’s a old work handset from my company that I should of returned 12 months ago. They ain’t asked, so I’ve managed to wipe it to factory settings. So it’s like out the box. My issue is that the phone going to want data! As well as text/calls.....

Just after a sim I like the vodafone one I got from a news agent. Cost me £1. I can then top up cash too....

Want same for the iPhone. No traceable card Amounts on my bank etc.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 03:51:15 pm by Laid_back_bloke »

Offline Waterhouse

Would also throw in the smart phones prob not best suited for P.phone if you want to easily remain anonymous.  Old Nokia candy-bar handset still the best for anonymity in my view.

JamesFD

Kinda stuck with EE, as it’s a old work handset from my company that I should of returned 12 months ago. They ain’t asked, so I’ve managed to wipe it to factory settings. So it’s like out the box. My issue is that the phone going to want data! As well as text/calls.....

Just after a sim I like the vodafone one I got from a news agent. Cost me £1. I can then top up cash too....

Want same for the iPhone. No traceable card Amounts on my bank etc.

As already suggested above, try an Asda Mobile SIM as they use the EE network.

Offline Avg_Joe

Would also throw in the smart phones prob not best suited for P.phone if you want to easily remain anonymous.  Old Nokia candy-bar handset still the best for anonymity in my view.

agreed, but fuck me it's sooooo slow texting   :lol:

Offline Grenadier36

Absolutely spot on. Got a Nokia 3330 from ebay for exactly this purpose, I don't want "apps" or other shite tracking where I've been whilst punting

Offline Waterhouse

agreed, but fuck me it's sooooo slow texting   :lol:
Even with predictive text enabled...  :lol:

Offline Bigwilts

I was always baffled by the fact that Apple would allow what is in essence a third party to mess with their own firmware.  :unknown:
It’s not a third party messing with the firmware, locking to a provider is programmed into the firmware of providers.  Most iPhones up until recent years would lock to the operator of the first sim used irrespective of whether the provider wanted that or not.

It’s also been commonplace for UK mobile providers to subsidise the costs of handsets in contracts  but it’s now more widely known how much you are paying for the phone and also to have the option of buying the phone at full price upfront

Offline Waterhouse

locking to a provider is programmed into the firmware of providers.
My point exactly. Why would a company like Apple who is particularity careful re. their IP allow a third party (i.e. Vodafone, EE, O2 etc.) to change or add to the already factory installed h/w based Apple proprietary firmware?

I know it was commonplace on Nokias, Motorola etc. back in the day, but given Apple are extremely  careful re. their h/w and s/w, why allow another company to change with it?

Not 100% sure if it is accurate or not, but I heard a couple of weeks ago that providers are no longer supposed to lock supplied handsets nowadays?

Offline Bigwilts

My point exactly. Why would a company like Apple who is particularity careful re. their IP allow a third party (i.e. Vodafone, EE, O2 etc.) to change or add to the already factory installed h/w based Apple proprietary firmware?

I know it was commonplace on Nokias, Motorola etc. back in the day, but given Apple are extremely  careful re. their h/w and s/w, why allow another company to change with it?

Not 100% sure if it is accurate or not, but I heard a couple of weeks ago that providers are no longer supposed to lock supplied handsets nowadays?

It’s not propriety firmware, apple program it in as a feature that can be activated by providers.

I’m not aware of anything that phones should be sold as unlocked, but most providers have moved to unlocking for free. 
A few years ago I did find that CarPhone warehouse were selling phones on ‘locked’ contracts/PAYG deals that were in fact unlocked.  The stock of phones were not locked to allow them to be sold on unlocked deals but they were not activating any locking on specific sales

Offline Waterhouse

It’s not propriety firmware, apple program it in as a feature that can be activated by providers.

I’m not aware of anything that phones should be sold as unlocked, but most providers have moved to unlocking for free. 
A few years ago I did find that CarPhone warehouse were selling phones on ‘locked’ contracts/PAYG deals that were in fact unlocked.  The stock of phones were not locked to allow them to be sold on unlocked deals but they were not activating any locking on specific sales
Cherrs for the clarification.

Offline Waterhouse

After a bit of advice.

Thanks
OP...

Found this article on uswitch, there is a section on how to unlock phones and in your case, specifically what EE's policy is.

Offline socksfellan2

I hear what you're saying but these old dumb phones aren't encrypted or even password protected. So you're replacing potential tracking by apps you could uninstall or minimise the risk of with something anybody could turn on and read through...

Personally, I'd recommend an android phone with at least version 6 (marshmallow) where you uninstall and disable everything. Since it's V6, it's already encrypted. Plus, never connect it to WiFi or 4g so your device can't ping Google or Facebook or whatever. Works best  :drinks:

Offline Laid_back_bloke

Intention is not to have any apps running. Data switched off. Just for calls & texts...

Texts are the only reason I want rid of the Nokia. Using the predictive text is painful. 🥴

Offline Waterhouse

I hear what you're saying but these old dumb phones aren't encrypted or even password protected. So you're replacing potential tracking by apps you could uninstall or minimise the risk of with something anybody could turn on and read through...

Personally, I'd recommend an android phone with at least version 6 (marshmallow) where you uninstall and disable everything. Since it's V6, it's already encrypted. Plus, never connect it to WiFi or 4g so your device can't ping Google or Facebook or whatever. Works best  :drinks:
On my old Nokia you can set up an additional security code along with locking the handset with the usual pin, so no worries about it being broken into.

Re. Encryption, you'd only be using it for sms texts, so it would exactly the same as any fancy smart phone... AFAIK they only encrypt messaging like whatsapp and email depending on the app that you use, which not not be a feature of an old Nokia phone.

Offline Stiltskin

I don't use a pin code on my punting phone. I just hard reset after every punt, so no need for encryption. I only punt once a month at most though.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 03:48:37 pm by Stiltskin »

Offline advent2016

I have a $50 cubot Nova. two users, normal user and punting user. It's dual sim.