Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 2020/21 football season  (Read 20058 times)

Offline Digby232

Hope you’ve all bought your season tickets for this year. You’re not going to see anything. Wonder how many clubs will ask you to donate the cost to help run the club like Goodwood Racecoarse has done with their members. Help run the club? They care nothing for the supporters !
Banned reason: Troll
Banned by: daviemac

Offline JamesKW

The situation in football is quite serious generally,the Premiere League will be asked to pass down their TV rights proceeds to lower divisions.Most Leagues will not be able to survive without spectators passing through the gates,they will need the Government to bail them out.So the Government better start coming up with the cash if they want the hospitality sector (which employs a great many of our population) to survive.

Offline Gordon Bennett

The situation in football is quite serious generally,the Premiere League will be asked to pass down their TV rights proceeds to lower divisions.Most Leagues will not be able to survive without spectators passing through the gates,they will need the Government to bail them out.So the Government better start coming up with the cash if they want the hospitality sector (which employs a great many of our population) to survive.

Why would say, Burnley and/or tax-payers, be minded to provide a handout to say, Birmingham City who just sold Jude Bellingham for £30million or Exeter City who got £4million cut of the Olly Watkins transfer? The Football League is a hotch-potch of clubs..... Some well run and some poorly run. Some financially sound and some in a financial mire. The concept of dribbling some aid to that mess is fraught with pitfalls and difficulties that I think make it untenable to do.

Offline ratedj

Why would say, Burnley and/or tax-payers, be minded to provide a handout to say, Birmingham City who just sold Jude Bellingham for £30million or Exeter City who got £4million cut of the Olly Watkins transfer? The Football League is a hotch-potch of clubs..... Some well run and some poorly run. Some financially sound and some in a financial mire. The concept of dribbling some aid to that mess is fraught with pitfalls and difficulties that I think make it untenable to do.

Because the sport is faced with an unprecedented situation. The fact is that many, if not all the Premier League clubs can continue to exist without fans for the forseable future; the same cannot be said for many Football League clubs. The importance of the Football League will not be lost on many pL clubs.

Online lostandfound

Premier league will cough up in the end. It's an entertainment industry and it would be awful PR if they didn't. And £250 million - if that's what it takes - is a rounding error to the EPL as a whole.

Offline mr.bluesky

Premiership clubs are still spending silly money on transfer fees. Looks like the gravy train is still on track.  :dash:

Offline Blackpool Rock

Premier league will cough up in the end. It's an entertainment industry and it would be awful PR if they didn't. And £250 million - if that's what it takes - is a rounding error to the EPL as a whole.
Will this whole saga result in clubs finally starting to rein in on stupid transfer fees and wages, not at the moment perhaps but over the next few years  :unknown:

The big TV money has allowed big spending but a large amount of this money has simply lined the pockets of the top players and the agents whereas fans haven't necessarily benefitted.
Ticket prices for prem games are high when compared to other countries like Germany and while you used to be able to watch albeit a very limited number of games on TV for free you now have to pay eye watering amounts for a sky or BT package  :thumbsdown:

What happened to "the peoples game"  :unknown:

Online lostandfound

Will this whole saga result in clubs finally starting to rein in on stupid transfer fees and wages, not at the moment perhaps but over the next few years  :unknown:

The big TV money has allowed big spending but a large amount of this money has simply lined the pockets of the top players and the agents whereas fans haven't necessarily benefitted.
Ticket prices for prem games are high when compared to other countries like Germany and while you used to be able to watch albeit a very limited number of games on TV for free you now have to pay eye watering amounts for a sky or BT package  :thumbsdown:

I dunno - that's an interesting question.

I'm optimistic that the worst of the sickness and death is already behind us in the UK, and that life will begin to return to normal next year. I kind of expect it will be BAU for the EPL.

Offline Londonpunter30

Add up how much money has gone out of the game on agents fees.  That money alone could have kept the lower leagues going.

Transfer money stays in the game, agents fees leave the game and go into an agents pockets.

It’s high time plays paid for their agents , not getting the club to pay them instead

Offline ratedj

You could argue that the current pandemic has already seen clubs rein in their spending. Bar Chelsea, whose circumstances are completely different, many of the big clubs have arguably spent less than what they might have forecasted to spend in February. This has also extended to the continent, and if anything clubs are actually looking to balance the books.

As for increasing TV money lining the pockets of players, there will always be a correlation between the two. It's the same for the NFL, MLB and NBA. Agent's however, are a whole different breed, but whilst clubs continue to rely upon them they will continue to play a prominent role. 

In all fairness, we have not had live top flight football on free-to-air TV since the inception of the Premier League back in 1992 (apart from the games that the BBC aired at the end of last season). However, you are right when you intimate that action needs to be taken regarding the average price of tickets in this country.

Regarding the people's game, football sold its soul a long time ago! 

Offline Chorley

I feel bad for the lower league clubs, but quite frankly the Premier League has turned football into such as soulless money making machine I really couldn't give a toss any more.   :unknown:
The big boys will always be alright and won't give two fucks about smaller clubs going under  as they Co tinue to rake in the cash.  :thumbsdown:

Offline Gordon Bennett

I don't feel sorry for any I them. For years football clubs have peddled a myth that they are somehow "special" and not subject to the economics that apply to a normal business. Most of them are shockingly managed and continually and wilfully refuse to operate within a budget and live within their means. They've spent past few decades digging their own graves with their ridiculous approaches to budgeting and financial planning.

Offline mr.bluesky

Just watched the Spurs v Newcastle game and another ridiculous VAR penalty decision.  Im not a follower of either team but Spurs were robbed. The ball was played into the penalty area and was headed into the back of Dier's arm. The penalty kick was the only shot on goal Newcastle had in 90 minutes. No wonder Jose was fuming. It is time they got rid of this system as it seems to be getting more decisions wrong than right. People might say that over the course of the season Spurs will have a decision go their way  but it is a lottery.
SPOILER ALERT.  The Foxes giving Man City a tonking
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 06:19:12 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline ratedj

Just watched the Spurs v Newcastle game and another ridiculous VAR penalty decision.  Im not a follower of either team but Spurs were robbed. The ball was played into the penalty area and was headed into the back of Dier's arm. The penalty kick was the only shot on goal Newcastle had in 90 minutes. No wonder Jose was fuming. It is time they got rid of this system as it seems to be getting more decisions wrong than right. People might say that over the course of the season Spurs will have a decision go their way  but it is a lottery.
SPOILER ALERT.  The Foxes giving Man City a tonking

The problem is not with VAR. If anything, VAR has been working much better this season. The issue is with the new handball law, which is completely flawed. As for City, they best hope that Ruben Dias is a hybrid of Sergio Ramos and VVD, otherwise they have no chance.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 06:45:24 pm by ratedj »

Offline County Militia

Thread for the 2020/21 season.

In England the first round of league games have been played. The most noteworthy performance in the Premier League was surely by a team that lost: Leeds United going toe to toe with Liverpool?

Worst performance in the first week of the Premier League must surely be Spurs? Or West Ham?

Leeds will stay up without a doubt, they are a great club with class fans and a strong squad. West Brom might stay up if they fight for it but Fulham will definitely get relegated.

I feel Leicester has the potential to fight for a top spot this season, they were very unlucky last season. Very disappointed with the Blades so far though, last season they were the surprise package nobody expected to finish so high in the table. Chris Wilder is a top manager though and I'm sure he'll turn things around.

Offline advent2016

Once I pretended to be an Arsenal supporter to get a shag bit like when I pretended to be vegetarian I was found out. Not sure which was worse

Offline Blackpool Rock

Leeds have just got what was by all accounts a deserved draw with Man City who were at the start of the season even money favourites to win the Prem.
Looking at the latest odds City have drifted to 6/4 and Liverpool are now 4/5 favourites, i'm surprised City haven't drifted further as they are 5 points adrift after having played 3 games each

Offline paper7

Leeds have just got what was by all accounts a deserved draw with Man City who were at the start of the season even money favourites to win the Prem.
Looking at the latest odds City have drifted to 6/4 and Liverpool are now 4/5 favourites, i'm surprised City haven't drifted further as they are 5 points adrift after having played 3 games each
Leeds looked like they should have won that game. The played direct, fast football which MC couldn't cope with.

Are the days of 'tippy-tappy' football finished?

Offline webpunter

+1

Other than watching Super Leeds [SL] my interest in other matches is seeing teams like:  City, Chelsea, Spurs, Liverpool & more recently Wolves & Everton against each other
Check on the results & watch if the scum or Arsenal look like they could get beat  :lol: :yahoo:

Ben White has either given up on his chance for playing for England for a good while or is looking for a big money move at the end of the season
Pleased SL didn't waste £45m on him.  Koch isn't that far behind him & will develop.  At 1/3rd of the price

Norwich started well last year so too early to say on Leeds etc. Hope they do well though. Needs teams like that with history and passionate fans. Rather see them than teams like Brighton just taking the place of decent teams😂 Liverpool v Leeds was interesting. Liverpool v Brighton. Who cares except the two teams involved fans.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 01:20:47 am by webpunter »

Offline Littlefoot

The hammers giving Leicester a thumping. 4 - 0 against wolves also. May be they should leave Moyes at home permanently  :unknown:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 01:43:38 pm by Littlefoot »

Offline threechilliman

The hammers giving Leicester a thumping. 4 - 0 against wolves also. May be they should leave Moyes at home permanently  :unknown:

One wonders how Moysie would have done if he'd managed Man U from his armchair...... :lol:

Offline Blackpool Rock

Fulham (Bottom and 0 points), Sheffield Utd (Next to bottom and 0 points) and West Brom (4th from bottom and 1 point) all lost again today, i'd say it's not looking good for any of them this season after only 4 games  :cry:

Meanwhile at the other end of the table Man City have misfired as have Man Utd who are currently 3-1 down at home to Spurs and have just had a man sent off for an off the ball incident  ;)
Chelsea are still a work in progress and Leicester fluffed a chance to go top and Arsenal look to have improved, the surprise package this season is Everton so far

Liverpool are away to Villa later and I have to say that if they win that one then all the challengers must already be wondering how or if they can even be caught this season  :unknown:

Offline Gordon Bennett

The football fixture programme is literally insane. Clubs in European Competitions will be playing twice per week until season ends at end of April. The only "breaks" are for internationals so their players won't actually get a rest. It strikes me that if Covid wipes out just 1 or 2 scheduled matchdays the whole programme becomes virtually impossible to re-jig as there is virtually no wriggle room.
Anyway, with Everton not involved in Europe they possibly have a significant advantage in keeping their squad match-fit and relatively fatigue-free - maybe they can sustain a major tilt for the top spot?

Offline webpunter

5-1 now
Brilliant watching the scum getting ripped to pieces
We want 6 

Lamela must have needed to see the club doctor at half time after such a serious incident
Him hitting the deck after being assaulted  :lol:
Best to see his hairdresser too just in case a few of his locks have been messed up

Meanwhile at the other end of the table Man City have misfired as have Man Utd who are currently 3-1 down at home to Spurs and have just had a man sent off for an off the ball incident  ;)

Offline Blackpool Rock

5-1 now
We want 6 

Lamela must have needed to see the club doctor at half time after such a serious incident
Best to see his hairdresser too just in case a few of his locks have been messed up
6-1 final score, according to 5 live it's the worst home defeat for Utd since 1955  :scare:

I had been looking on line to see what their worst results were and found this, perhaps needs updating now  :unknown:
External Link/Members Only

Offline mr.bluesky

5-1 now
We want 6 

Sending off incident was a joke. They both should have been sent off but talk about making a meal of it. It was almost comical. The big girls blouse wouldn't last 10 seconds on a rugby pitch.

Offline Londonpunter30

Sending off incident was a joke. They both should have been sent off but talk about making a meal of it. It was almost comical. The big girls blouse wouldn't last 10 seconds on a rugby pitch.

Isn’t this what VAR is for ? Watch the clip and then see they are both guilty.

Didn’t effect the result as we were terrible and shows how far the team has fallen

Offline Littlefoot

Villa 4  Liverpool 1 latest. Just WTF is going on with the prem this year. It’s utter madness!

Offline webpunter

Its bonkers
Well done The Viller
Lots of fun

Wonder if JT is gonna celebrate ?
Maybe bang one of the player's OH
Or buy his mum some stuff so she doesn't have to go shop lifting
 :lol:

Villa 4  Liverpool 1 latest. Just WTF is going on with the prem this year. It’s utter madness!

Offline willie loman

I don't feel sorry for any I them. For years football clubs have peddled a myth that they are somehow "special" and not subject to the economics that apply to a normal business. Most of them are shockingly managed and continually and wilfully refuse to operate within a budget and live within their means. They've spent past few decades digging their own graves with their ridiculous approaches to budgeting and financial planning.

The majority of football clubs are well run,by extremely shrewd businessmen yes they buy for silly money, but they also sell for silly money, its amazingly cheap to watch soccer online, a development i have predicted  for 30 years or so, it still hasnt hapenned, is that entry to football will be free, what is killing the game this season is lack of crowds. the average brit now sees way more hours of football per year, than they did in the preceding 30.

Offline ratedj

As Fergie once said one glorious day in May 1999, 'Football, bloody hell!'

Offline Littlefoot

7 - 2  :scare:

15 mins left. Villa missed a hatful as well.

Patrice Evra was nearly crying earlier at Man U’s hammering. Wonder if Grahame Souness will be crying after this slaughtering  :D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:05:50 pm by Littlefoot »

Offline threechilliman

Offline County Militia

The fixtures this weekend have been insane. Liverpool and United getting hammered you just love to see it. Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher must be crying their eyes out!  :D

Offline Digby232

No crowds at football is brilliant. More matches on tv and no crowd intimidating referees or players.  Now we’re getting results you’d never get if a crowd was there!

Offline HERTSBLUE

No crowds at football is brilliant. More matches on tv and no crowd intimidating referees or players.  Now we’re getting results you’d never get if a crowd was there!
No it's not :dash:

Offline mr.bluesky

No crowds at football is brilliant. More matches on tv and no crowd intimidating referees or players. 

Yeah it must be tough beeing a modern day footballer on a hundred grand + a week and having opposition fans calling you a wanker or giving you the v sign throughout the game. My heart bleeds for them.

Offline ratedj

It really isn't. As good as it is to have more football on TV, nothing quite beats the experience of live sport.

Online WARSZAWA16

Crowds/fans are an integral part of football and indeed every sport. I much prefer actually going to games rather than watching the generally hyped up nonsense on tv.

Offline County Militia

Digby has probably never even been to an actual football match. I bet he's just a typical armchair supporter.

Having fans in the ground means they can sing and get behind the team regardless of the performance on the pitch. Especially if your team is losing its important for fans to sing loud and proud because that's when the players need you the most. There's that old saying of it's easy to sing when your winning.

Having been to dozens of different grounds around the country over the years for away days I can always recognize which stadiums are a library and which ones are vocal and electrifying.

Offline County Militia

Eye watering price? Hardly! I pay an average of £30 per month for access to Sky Sports channels and a non contract monthly pass for BT Sports channels was around £25 I believe. It's really not as much as your making it out to be.

"The peoples game" Football is all commerical nowadays and no longer a working mans game and hasn't been for years. Not that it mattered to me so much as I earn enough to attend as many matches as I wanted before the pandemic hit. But yeah at least I can understand how alot of fans feel that they are being priced out of attending matches because of high ticket prices.

It's also the result of why alot of modern stadiums, while they may look good on TV, many if them have non existent atmospheres, effectively a library filled with fake, plastic "fans" and tourists. The Emirates and Old Trafford, King power to name a few although I think the London Stadium tops the lot as it's not designed for football. I went there for an away day and it was shocking.

Offline ratedj

Eye watering price? Hardly! I pay an average of £30 per month for access to Sky Sports channels and a non contract monthly pass for BT Sports channels was around £25 I believe. It's really not as much as your making it out to be.

"The peoples game" Football is all commerical nowadays and no longer a working mans game and hasn't been for years. Not that it mattered to me so much as I earn enough to attend as many matches as I wanted before the pandemic hit. But yeah at least I can understand how alot of fans feel that they are being priced out of attending matches because of high ticket prices.

It's also the result of why alot of modern stadiums, while they may look good on TV, many if them have non existent atmospheres, effectively a library filled with fake, plastic "fans" and tourists. The Emirates and Old Trafford, King power to name a few although I think the London Stadium tops the lot as it's not designed for football. I went there for an away day and it was shocking.

One thing: I'm not sure I would class Old Trafford as a modern stadium. Whist it may be lacking in atmosphere at times it is a stadium full of history and prestige (not accounting for the post-Fergie years, of course!)

Offline webpunter

As quoted in the media at least the simulated crowd noise for matches @ The Emirates is better than the real thing  :lol:

Tottenham's stadium is pretty impressive.  As for the 'wall' - superb idea.  The route to make wildly expensive stadiums pay to get multi-use, so Spurs should be good for concerts when these happen there in due course

Reckon The Millennium / Principality stuffs both Twickenham & Wembley - much steeper stands so you feel closer to the pitch.  And its in the middle of town so pre & post match is ace with no ball ache travelling [well apart from having to travel to & be in Wales  :)]

Offline Digby232

On the contrary I was a season ticket holder at Southampton until 2 years ago and also travelled to watch England. Then you realise what a complete waste of money it is. In the lower leagues clubs respect their fans. As soon as they get to the premiership you don’t matter. It’s all tv money and sod the supporter. We used to have scarves but now they have brainwashed you to buy ridiculous looking copy shirts at £60 plus each. Nothing worse than a 50 year old fat man in a slim fit football shirt.😂.

Offline mr.bluesky

On the contrary I was a season ticket holder at Southampton until 2 years ago and also travelled to watch England. Then you realise what a complete waste of money it is. In the lower leagues clubs respect their fans. As soon as they get to the premiership you don’t matter. It’s all tv money and sod the supporter. We used to have scarves but now they have brainwashed you to buy ridiculous looking copy shirts at £60 plus each. Nothing worse than a 50 year old fat man in a slim fit football shirt.😂.

What is it with Southampton's shirt this season.  :unknown: Teams like Southampton, Sunderland, Newcastle, West Brom have always worn stripes.  Now Southampton have a plain shirt with a diagonal Sash. West Broms shirt looks like a barcode. Oh for the days of sticking to traditional designs.

Offline paper7

What is it with Southampton's shirt this season.  :unknown: Teams like Southampton, Sunderland, Newcastle, West Brom have always worn stripes.  Now Southampton have a plain shirt with a diagonal Sash. West Broms shirt looks like a barcode. Oh for the days of sticking to traditional designs.
Answer - Money, money. and yet more money.  The only way for supporters to show their displeasure is not to buy them.

Offline County Militia

Then don't buy them? It's not like their forcing you to anyway.

It also sounds like you have no faith in your club anymore which is sad because true fans stick by and get behind their team regardless of their current situation. I remember Southampton barely scraping themselves of several relegation battles the last few years and even getting hammered 9-0 by Leicester last season. Did you turn up and show support then? I doubt it.

However I do agree that football, particularly the premier league is all commerical nowadays and merchandise and tickets do seem too high for some fans hence the feeling of being priced out of attending.

No matter what you should always make an effort to turn up and support your team though. I've been supporting Crystal Palace for over a decade and had a season ticket for 8 years. The only reason I don't now is due to the fact that I live in Hampshire and was unable to attend every match. Even before the pandemic hit I was still travelling 80+ miles to Selhurst Park to support my team whenever I could and travelling around the country for away matches.

Offline Blackpool Rock

So the latest plan for fans as they still can't attend matches is to show every game on Sky / BT, great in principle until you hear that games not already scheduled to be shown will be PPV at £14.95 each

Also bear in mind the fee is on top of your normal subscription charges  :thumbsdown:

Perhaps i'm just tight but why is it that all these things seem to be overpriced  :unknown:
Personally i'd be prepared to pay £5 to watch a game however it would still need to be a game that I specifically wanted to watch.
OK so £15 isn't so bad if an entire family sit down to watch it or if a load of mates pile round with cans and snacks etc but i guess that isn't possible either due to mixing households.
Looks like i'll be listening to matches I want to follow on the radio again

If it's your team playing then obviously you will want to watch or as someone also posted earlier on this thread matches where top teams are playing each other but looking at some of the PPV games how many neutrals will be prepared to stump up £15 to watch Sheffield Utd Vs Fulham; West Brom Vs Burnley; Fulham Vs Crystal Palace; Brighton Vs West Brom; Wolves Vs Crystal Palace or Fulham Vs West Brom  :unknown:

Personally i'd like to see a system where season ticket holders got a way to watch the game for free

External Link/Members Only

Offline Gordon Bennett

Well EFL supporters have been having to fork out a tenner to watch amateurish feeds of their games on the clunky Ifollow platform so I don't see why Prem supporters should get a special advantage.
Anyway, I reckon clubs like Liverpool will be streaming all their games on their own PPV platform within 5 years and hoovering up millions of quid every game - we may as well get used to paying through the nose to sit on our arse following our club from the comfort of our couch I suppose