Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 'Why are so many nurses fat?'  (Read 1590 times)

Online Colston36

External Link/Members Only

What an absolute bell-end.

He might just as well ask why the British are the second fattest people in Europe.

(I was surprised to learn the biggest losers in that race are the Maltese).

Offline sparkus

He might just as well ask why the British are the second fattest people in Europe.

(I was surprised to learn the biggest losers in that race are the Maltese).

I'm not surprised at all, most of the ones I've met are pretty hefty.

Offline winkywanky

'Why are so many nurses fat?'

It pains me to say it, but this is something I have noticed before. There is more than a grain of truth in it. I've had more hospital procedures over the past few years than I care to mention, and also I've visited relatives in hospital too. These are many occasions, various hospitals. I would say for any given age (and often, relatively young) there are a large proportion of overweight and also very overweight nurses.

I couldn't read the whole Telegraph piece because it's behind a paywall, but I can guess it's written in a very unsympathetic tone. Bearing in mind how cherished the vast majority of NHS staff are to us, that's uncalled for  :thumbsdown:.

Because
- hospital food is cheap and fattening
- its difficult to buy and cook a healthy meal after a long shift, much quicker and easier to get a takeaway or open a can
- fattening food is comforting
- hard to go to the gym around long hours of work

Sorry to butt in and interrupt the argument about public schools.

All of the above.

I would add to that, if your sleep patterns are messed up (and therefore your quality of sleep) then you will put on weight more easily. That's now a known medical fact.

And yes, the added mental stress of messed-up sleep will also cause more comfort-eating, in addition to the above effect.

So rather than writing that piece in the Telegraph which is effectively critical of nursing staff, perhaps Mr. Moore would be better employed actually coming up with a few ideas about trying to help their situation. I don't know how much of this is due to crap staff canteen facilities, but I do know that in my former job for a large public service employer, the last 20yrs of my working career were accompanied by a steady decline in the quality of food provision for the staff. That's both the actual quality of the food, as well as the fact that if you worked funny hours, you'd be eating shit (heated up or otherwise) out of a bloody vending machine.

I think the nursing staff (and other medical staff) probably deserve better.

Offline sparkus

Well it's a question I'll ponder next time I'm laid on top of one after a drunken night out.

Offline willie loman

Disrupted sleep is a factor in obesity, but you will see obesity in nursing staff who work normal hours, not all nurses work shifts even in hospitals, i imagine, plus loads of nurses dont work in hospitals at all. I havent on the whole noticed too many overweight doctors.

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
Maybe there's a link between intelligence and body type.   :unknown:

That sounds just a silly. Anyone have any studies?

There is an association between deprivation and Obesity, see Public Health England recent report.

Offline Xtro

I would add to that, if your sleep patterns are messed up (and therefore your quality of sleep) then you will put on weight more easily. That's now a known medical fact.

A study to back up what you said - External Link/Members Only

This is labelled as a risk factor, along with many other things that people tend to do, or tend not to do.

If I see myself put on a bit of excess fat, I cut back. I've done shift work in my time, drunk alcohol, eaten chocolate & junk food and not exercised. I've also encountered stressful times during my life.
I fail to understand how many people, not just those in nursing or care work, can just let the fat pile on and seemingly not do anything about it.
Surely they can't all have mental/immune/hormonal issues; or simply put... Psychoneuroimmunoendocrinological problems!   :scare:

Psychoneuroimmunoendocrinology: clinical implications - External Link/Members Only

They conclude -
Diseases are the result of an alteration at the bio-psycho-social level that can indicate lifestyle changes that should be made in addition to appropriate medical management and treatment. Emotions and stress significantly affect health and one’s susceptibility to a pathology, as well as one’s ability to recover from an illness. Psychoneuroimmunology should provide knowledge about the biological dynamics of conventional and alternative medicines for fighting disease. The psychoneuroimmunological axis comprises several disease-producing mechanisms in which different disciplines of medicine interact, implying the need for an integrative approach. The science of psychoneuroimmunology must go hand in hand with health education and the promotion of healthy lifestyles in order to attain patient health.

Offline Xtro

There is an association between deprivation and Obesity, see Public Health England recent report.

Good point!   :thumbsup:

I failed to think of that. 

Offline willie loman

today i read,, dont bother asking for a link, it will be in the daily mail, that analysis of hair cuttings from barber shops reveal that poor people eat more meat and less fruit and veg than better off folk, we all know this of course,but how to change it, is the problem.

Offline sub_marine

today i read,, dont bother asking for a link, it will be in the daily mail, that analysis of hair cuttings from barber shops reveal that poor people eat more meat and less fruit and veg than better off folk, we all know this of course,but how to change it, is the problem.

The meat industry pays plenty of lobbyists and party political bribes to ensure this continues, and as soon as we become Trumps little minion state the quality and will go right down. 

Offline winkywanky

If I see myself put on a bit of excess fat, I cut back. I've done shift work in my time, drunk alcohol, eaten chocolate & junk food and not exercised. I've also encountered stressful times during my life.
I fail to understand how many people, not just those in nursing or care work, can just let the fat pile on and seemingly not do anything about it.
Surely they can't all have mental/immune/hormonal issues; or simply put... Psychoneuroimmunoendocrinological problems!   :scare:

Psychoneuroimmunoendocrinology: clinical implications - External Link/Members Only

They conclude -
Diseases are the result of an alteration at the bio-psycho-social level that can indicate lifestyle changes that should be made in addition to appropriate medical management and treatment. Emotions and stress significantly affect health and one’s susceptibility to a pathology, as well as one’s ability to recover from an illness. Psychoneuroimmunology should provide knowledge about the biological dynamics of conventional and alternative medicines for fighting disease. The psychoneuroimmunological axis comprises several disease-producing mechanisms in which different disciplines of medicine interact, implying the need for an integrative approach. The science of psychoneuroimmunology must go hand in hand with health education and the promotion of healthy lifestyles in order to attain patient health.

Doc, you gotta believe me, I don't eat too much, it's me glands :rolleyes:  :D

Offline LLPunting

You might also want to consider the work environment :  People suffering, people dying, ungrateful people, scared people, demanding people, heart-breaking situations, people who are alone, people who have more support than the nurse has, kids who are very ill, kids who are terminal, highly traumatic injuries/disfigurements/disablements...

It's not just the quality of the food.

That said, the millenials are more body conscious (good mental health and body image or not) seem to be in better shape.  Didn't someone else mention that private health nurses are in better shape?

Offline winkywanky

You might also want to consider the work environment :  People suffering, people dying, ungrateful people, scared people, demanding people, heart-breaking situations, people who are alone, people who have more support than the nurse has, kids who are very ill, kids who are terminal, highly traumatic injuries/disfigurements/disablements...

It's not just the quality of the food.

That said, the millenials are more body conscious (good mental health and body image or not) seem to be in better shape. Didn't someone else mention that private health nurses are in better shape?

I think that's actually true.

Of the ops I mentioned earlier, many have been in a local Private Hospital which does lots of work for the local NHS Trust. I guess the nurses are mainly agency? Whether that's because they don't work as many hours, or perhaps agencies are a different 'culture' so to speak?

Offline RogerBoner

About 30 years ago I lived with a nurse and I used to enjoy eating in the canteen because it reminded me of public school dinners. I don't remember the nurses being fat in those days.

I know that nurses are heroes at this time but I have been shocked at how obese the majority of female staff is in the two hospitals in Nottingham are now. The can only move slowly. Too slowly to do their job efficiently. I have a male and a female nurse as friends and neither are fat.

To be controversial I suggest that they get advised to slim down within a year or lose their jobs. They shouldn't represent the front line as health workers because they unfit to be there.

Public school education means that I have no natural concept of family, love even friendship. On the other hand I think it installed an aura of confidence and determination to be the best in the world. But always detached.

Offline willie loman

I think that's actually true.

Of the ops I mentioned earlier, many have been in a local Private Hospital which does lots of work for the local NHS Trust. I guess the nurses are mainly agency? Whether that's because they don't work as many hours, or perhaps agencies are a different 'culture' so to speak?

You might also have noticed that the reception staff are better looking etc, lets stop making excuses, lots of people work shifts, have stressful lifes, if you want to keep your weight down, it can be done, in most cases.

Offline willie loman

The meat industry pays plenty of lobbyists and party political bribes to ensure this continues, and as soon as we become Trumps little minion state the quality and will go right down.

There is not an industry in britain or elsewhere that doesnt pay lobbysists, its not actually in the interests of "poor people" to tell them nothing is their own fault.

Offline winkywanky

You might also have noticed that the reception staff are better looking etc, lets stop making excuses, lots of people work shifts, have stressful lifes, if you want to keep your weight down, it can be done, in most cases.

I'm not making 'excuses' for anyone. You're right about the receptionists in the Private hospital though.

There must be a reason (or reasons) for a disproportionate number of nurses (and within that, perhaps NHS staffers in particular?) being overweight.

Offline willie loman

I'm not making 'excuses' for anyone. You're right about the receptionists in the Private hospital though.

There must be a reason (or reasons) for a disproportionate number of nurses (and within that, perhaps NHS staffers in particular?) being overweight.

Not saying you are, but are others are certainly doing so, the key really is, doctors are rarely fat,and some of them are doing 100 hours a week as juniors, and yes some nurses are indeed worked off their feet,

Offline Bonker

I think I've hit apon the truth.. rather immodestly..eureka!

Many men find nurses erotic (see threads on here and the popularity of uniforms on AW). So, their boyfriends/husbands come quickly when fucking them. Therefore nurses expend less energy and fewer calories. They jump straight off and tuck into the doughnuts.

QED. This will be my doctorate thesis.
Dr Bonker PhD

Offline king tarzan

They help  in need.. they do good... they mean no harm but only good.. respect to them  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Banned reason: Misogynist who gets free bookings from agencies for pos reviews.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline RogerBoner

This  :thumbsdown:
(I tried to upload a video but failed)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:15:36 am by RogerBoner »

Offline RogerBoner

« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 11:30:32 am by RogerBoner »

Offline Xtro

:thumbsup: :wacko:

Shocking!!!  ..... To say the least! 

Such a shame really, as people like her are generally in that business because they care about others.

Offline sub_marine

I think I've hit apon the truth.. rather immodestly..eureka!

Many men find nurses erotic (see threads on here and the popularity of uniforms on AW). So, their boyfriends/husbands come quickly when fucking them. Therefore nurses expend less energy and fewer calories. They jump straight off and tuck into the doughnuts.

QED. This will be my doctorate thesis.
Dr Bonker PhD

When I was student, there was a nurse in the flat abve and about 7am in the morning you would hear her getting pumped loudly in the kitchen, then about 1 min later, trot down the stairs and leave for work, so I imagine her boyfriend couldnt resist each morning and hammered her once she had the uniform on.

Offline sparkus

When I was student, there was a nurse in the flat abve and about 7am in the morning you would hear her getting pumped loudly in the kitchen, then about 1 min later, trot down the stairs and leave for work, so I imagine her boyfriend couldnt resist each morning and hammered her once she had the uniform on.

And who could blame him?
Though as we've identified, it may have been her up for being seen to before a day's drudgery.

Offline webpunter

He is an a-hole
Probably a large a-hole getting bum fucked as a fag

couldnt read the article as it was behind a paywall, he is an arsehole

I subscribe to the Torygraph
Free for a month then £30 ish
When you cancel its £12 a month on an offer for 6 months
Here is said article

"Shortly after reading Matt Hancock’s article about combatting obesity in yesterday’s paper, I emerged from a café to find my way virtually blocked by an enormously wide, youngish woman in a nurse’s uniform. It was a vivid reminder of a general fact about the National Health Service: many of its staff are fat.

I doubt if there are any statistics on this subject, but perhaps there should be. Mr Hancock wrote that “if you have a BMI [Body Mass Index] of between 30 and 35, your risk of death from coronavirus goes up by at least a quarter”. If you approach most nursing stations in most hospitals, you will see at least one person sitting there who appears to be in this “at risk” category.

That matters, not only for the health of the NHS staff involved, but also for the effectiveness of any anti-obesity campaign. If the public are being urged to lose weight, they will not take the message seriously if they notice that a substantial proportion of those caring for them are not doing so. It reminds me of the days when lots of doctors still smoked.

In his article, the Health Secretary also mentioned “stark inequalities in our nation’s health”. These are apparent within NHS staff. Sightings of fat NHS doctors are definitely unusual these days. Nurses and ancillary staff, on the other hand, are often disproportionately tubby.

Why should this be? My guess is that the NHS, as a collectivity, is not a very health-conscious employer. What sort of food is served to hospital staff? Are they discouraged from eating too many American-style muffins? Certainly most hospital food for patients remains fattening and unappetising. Most hospital public coffee-shops groan under the weight of buns and fizzy drinks.

How extensive are the NHS workplace opportunities for exercise? Are the staff getting (I quote Mr Hancock again) “much more direct communication and support from [their] GP”, including health education about obesity? I suspect hospitals are so dominated by trade unions that if doctors were to tell staff to shape up and slim down, “industrial action” would result"

Offline LLPunting

Not so many fat care workers and worth a watch for all reasons around CoVID

Offline LLPunting

He is an a-hole
Probably a large a-hole getting bum fucked as a fag

Keep your homophobia to yourself if you wish to continue contributing.

Offline Xtro

Cheers.   :drinks:

I like these guys. Always interesting to watch.   :thumbsup:

Offline sparkus

A number of the ones I've seen while visiting relatives are hefty.

Offline LLPunting

A number of the ones I've seen while visiting relatives are hefty.

Tell them to get admitted to UCLH, some tasty nurses and consultants there, although the "price" of admission may be a bit excessive.

Offline willie loman

obesity in britain is a class issue, visit the council estates, and its a mobility scooter rally

Offline bhudda

apparently in 2016 26% of adults in the UK were obese. In 2017 this increased to 29%. The figures for later years don't appear to be available but are unlikely to have declined - the trend seems to be they are increasing rapidly. Some of these people will be nurses. Factor in the other issues already raised and it is inevitable that there will be plenty of fat nurses, as well as plenty of fat everything elses. Obesity is not just a problem within the nursing profession, or the council estates.

I should know cos I'm a lard arse myself! and I'm neither a nurse nor an inhabitant of a council estate. I am about 2 stone lighter than I was 6 months ago though  :)   

If I lose the same again I'll only be over-weight  :yahoo:

Offline LLPunting

apparently in 2016 26% of adults in the UK were obese. In 2017 this increased to 29%. The figures for later years don't appear to be available but are unlikely to have declined - the trend seems to be they are increasing rapidly. Some of these people will be nurses. Factor in the other issues already raised and it is inevitable that there will be plenty of fat nurses, as well as plenty of fat everything elses. Obesity is not just a problem within the nursing profession, or the council estates.

I should know cos I'm a lard arse myself! and I'm neither a nurse nor an inhabitant of a council estate. I am about 2 stone lighter than I was 6 months ago though  :)   

You'll have to change your handle then.  Good luck "Hemsworth".

Offline bhudda

You'll have to change your handle then.  Good luck "Hemsworth".

I'm sure that's witty but lost on me I'm afraid ... Hemsworth?  :unknown:

Offline king tarzan

Keep your homophobia to yourself if you wish to continue contributing.

we all have our likes and dislikes in life old fox  :hi: :hi: :hi:
Banned reason: Misogynist who gets free bookings from agencies for pos reviews.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline Xtro

Well done bhudda.   :thumbsup:

Now you have to eat even less since your body mass has reduced or you might find your weight beginning to plateau.
Consider weights or resistance exercises too because some of the weight you are losing might be lean tissue, which isn't a good idea especially as we age.