Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 100,000 Covid Test - reality check?  (Read 1403 times)

Offline Kev40ish

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
I am amazed at the amount of reaction this news story has received.
Reporters in a frenzy and opposition wanting to hold people to account for not achieving this total that seems to have been plucked out of the air.

How many people really need the test? How many people at the moment think they have symptoms?

I think the reality is a lot less than is portrayed and the cost alone for trying to implement this strategy is going to be exorbitant.

Say for example 1% of the Uk population of the Uk think they have symptoms in 6 days they will all have been tested...

The biggest benefits for this is for the companies who will be able to get their staff checked and back to work quicker.

Yes there is a need for testing but I’m not sure this is the right approach and sustainable.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:21:45 am by Kev40ish »

Offline Jerk Chicken

The testing strategy is more than just let's see who has it and who does not so basic decisions can be taken such as going back to work, get economy moving etc etc.

The data collected will, as I understand it, be used for infection rate modelling by the boffins at Imperial Colledge et al to inform ministers on the over repeated phrase "we will follow the scientific advice" mantra.

So if and it is a big if we really do test 100,000 people a day clear patterns will start to develop and that will no doubt be used to move on to phase 2 of the Covid-19 strategy not that they (Govt) know what that is at the moment but hey no surprise there.

Frankly the entire testing strategy has been an utter shambles and I expect Hancock to pay the ultimate price and be consigned to the back benches in the next cabinet reshuffle.
Banned reason: Previously banned (Sean70) - Pimp, dangerous and using UKP review threats to demand extra services
Banned by: Kev40ish

Offline Beamer

The testing strategy is more than just let's see who has it and who does not so basic decisions can be taken such as going back to work, get economy moving etc etc.

The data collected will, as I understand it, be used for infection rate modelling by the boffins at Imperial Colledge et al to inform ministers on the over repeated phrase "we will follow the scientific advice" mantra.

So if and it is a big if we really do test 100,000 people a day clear patterns will start to develop and that will no doubt be used to move on to phase 2 of the Covid-19 strategy not that they (Govt) know what that is at the moment but hey no surprise there.

Frankly the entire testing strategy has been an utter shambles and I expect Hancock to pay the ultimate price and be consigned to the back benches in the next cabinet reshuffle.

Please let it happen sooner rather than later.

Online lostandfound

100,000 a day by the end of April was plucked out of the air by Hancock. Which just makes him look even more clueless.

Boris was talking of 250,000 tests a day. Made a rod for their own backs.

Offline Jerk Chicken

100,000 a day by the end of April was plucked out of the air by Hancock. Which just makes him look even more clueless.

btw did you guys hear the latest spin from dumbo clueless twat Hancock ?

100,000 means capacity to test not actual tests :dash: So it follows he can't be blamed if the website crashes, the test car park is so full you have to wait 4 hours, so peeps get fed up n leave etc etc

Hancock looks twitchy whenever he is asked a half decent question, still can't tell us what da fuck has gone wrong with PPE ..just fire the cunt now!
Banned reason: Previously banned (Sean70) - Pimp, dangerous and using UKP review threats to demand extra services

Offline Kev40ish

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24

If the test were Antibody tests like in Germany I could understand the totals.
Just surprised that the media and opposition are not challenging the types of tests rather than the numbers..

Offline hullad

Testing is vital moving forward it will allow the boffins to see the spread and predict its future pattern of progress within the populationas. Tracing is also part of this, many countries with far lower mortality rates then ours like South Korea have used it successfully. The press only ask friendly questions like Kuensberg and Peston, they are not doing the job there supposed too because it's all controlled.

We where slow on testing, still are and we abandoned tracing wayou back at the start, we are now bringing get it back. More proof that this administration has and is still failing, leadership is lacking and they jump from one idea to the next before returning to the triedge and trusted that works. Matt Hancock is being set up as the fall guy to save Boris the buffoon when the country turns on them as this virus comes under control. Its been poorly handled from the start we are going to be second to the USA in deaths, the figures are false our total is far higher also.Truth is lacking in everything they say, they know it we know it, one day this is all going to paid for, Austerity 2 anyone?

This our 1940 Boris wants to be Churchill he is in fact Chamberlain.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:00:36 am by hullad »

Offline Hobbit

100,000 means capacity to test not actual tests :dash: So it follows he can't be blamed if the website crashes, the test car park is so full you have to wait 4 hours, so peeps get fed up n leave etc etc

Hancock looks twitchy whenever he is asked a half decent question, still can't tell us what da fuck has gone wrong with PPE ..just fire the cunt now!

These politicians really know how to dig a grave for themselves. I can't believe he actually tried spinning it by saying that.

When he said 100,000 tests a day we understood it clearly and that is what he meant. I can't believe he thinks we are stupid enough to believe that he meant capacity and not quantity.

I am losing faith in this Government and I think they clearly don't know what they are doing. I heard yesterday on the news that Boris Johnson now doesn't want the lockdown to end so quickly because of his personal experience with Covid-19. Because the experience has now made him realise how dangerous it is and therefore his thinking behind the lockdown is being influenced by his personal experience. I really hope that's not true because as a leader he needs to think clearly in an unbiased manner.

Offline Hobbit

External Link/Members Only

Interesting read. However, as much as they may be right. I don't really trust WHO any more. I have more faith in Doctor Who than WHO itself. :D  I think they have lost a lot of credibility with their poor handling of this virus.

If I could write a review for them it would certainly be a negative. :hi:

Offline Beamer

Another half truth at best.....
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said at today's daily press briefing that we’re approaching the testing levels that Germany undertakes".

But the facts are.......
"In the UK 37,024 tests were conducted over the past 24 hours. This is the highest daily testing figure the UK has achieved so far.

The UK’s daily testing average over the past week has been just shy of 23,000 tests a day. Germany has been carrying out 450,000 tests a week, according to its foreign minister, equivalent to 64,000 a day."

He keeps on getting facts wrong and simply cannot be trusted ........... :hi:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 07:59:02 pm by Beamer »

Offline Hobbit

Another half truth at best.....
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said at today's daily press briefing that we’re approaching the testing levels that Germany undertakes".

But the facts are.......
"In the UK 37,024 tests were conducted over the past 24 hours. This is the highest daily testing figure the UK has achieved so far.

The UK’s daily testing average over the past week has been just shy of 23,000 tests a day. Germany has been carrying out 450,000 tests a week, according to its foreign minister, equivalent to 64,000 a day."

He keeps on getting facts wrong and simply cannot be trusted ........... :hi:

+1 He certainly can't be trusted. The poor guy can't even add up. Maybe schools should reopen for him.  :lol:

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
Many promises have not been fulfilled I know the government want to reassure,  and try keep the population motivated but I've learned to get on and only believe it when it happens.

Offline Steelworker

The critical success ratio to assess in a country is %age positive tests. If it’s 1 to 3%, like Taiwan, New Zealand, country has epidemic under control and can test and trace (yep, will have to know where people have been  :scare:) while still being very careful but business can start or function. UK is 20% plus. Totally impossible to test and trace until real cases are massively down as result of lockdown and test numbers up. So, arbitrary targets on one side of that ratio like 100,000 are simply set out to drive big increases and try to reassure public that lots is being done. But the media do like a blame and villain story like a missed commitment rather than asking more insightful questions. And us public don’t trust politicians for good reason. It’s a noisy clusterfuck, yes. But actual infections down lots and tests up is only way to arrive at a more manageable new norm.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 10:31:12 am by Steelworker »

Offline mh

Many promises have not been fulfilled I know the government want to reassure,  and try keep the population motivated but I've learned to get on and only believe it when it happens.

This is (sorry to overuse the word) an unprecedented situation so I have sympathy for the government. But government held back too long on restricting movement. People voted with their feet - businesses moved staff to home working before it was mandated. Most places where people gathered closed before they were directed to. Government fucked up big time on PPE for health professionals. The only reason they are not recommending masks in public is because it will hurt availability in health situations further. They fucked up on testing and then switched to prioritising hitting an arbitrary target of a "capacity" to test rather than actually carrying out tests where needed. That is now being rectified but again late.

There's only one area where the government is doing relatively well in my opinion and that is support for business, though it still has big gaps. The furloughing has protected jobs so far. The payments to employers for the claims are being paid very promptly - an unusual success story from HMRC. I don't solely credit the chancellor here, who knows how much is his doing, but he is doing well. I don't think many other ministers are doing well at all. Next step needs to be to allow furloughed workers to return to work part time and not lose all the support. That would help a lot in the recovery phase.

The gaps in support are sadly inevitable unless you go for a universal income or universal business support. The first is anathema to the party of government, the latter too open to abuse. On balance they have got the support right but I feel for those in the gaps.

Offline Hobbit

One thing I don't understand is why fewer people seem to be recovering from COVID-19 in the UK than any other country. Why is that? Do they have better treatment in other countries than we do?

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
One thing I don't understand is why fewer people seem to be recovering from COVID-19 in the UK than any other country. Why is that? Do they have better treatment in other countries than we do?

It could be we have higher proportion of people with underlying health conditions, being supported by healthcare so the bucket is tipped very easily.

Offline mh

I don't think we have reliable and internationally comparable stats to determine that this is true, do we?  :unknown:

Offline Beamer

I don't think we have reliable and internationally comparable stats to determine that this is true, do we?  :unknown:

I think you are right here. It was stated yesterday, and not for the first time, that almost all countries have unique statistics making comparison difficult.

Offline B4bcock

There is strong evidence that obese people are around 10X more likely to die from the virus and the UK population is the fattest in W Europe.   It explains why Matt Hancock and Chris Whitty recovered quite quickly whilst Boris was seriously ill.

Offline tynetunnel

These politicians really know how to dig a grave for themselves. I can't believe he actually tried spinning it by saying that.

When he said 100,000 tests a day we understood it clearly and that is what he meant. I can't believe he thinks we are stupid enough to believe that he meant capacity and not quantity.

I am losing faith in this Government and I think they clearly don't know what they are doing. I heard yesterday on the news that Boris Johnson now doesn't want the lockdown to end so quickly because of his personal experience with Covid-19. Because the experience has now made him realise how dangerous it is and therefore his thinking behind the lockdown is being influenced by his personal experience. I really hope that's not true because as a leader he needs to think clearly in an unbiased manner.

Nobody does. This is a new and unique situation. Every country is “winging it” to a greater or lesser extent. There’s no Haynes Manual in how to deal with this. There’s a lot worse countries to be in than this one during this crisis.

Offline Beamer

Nobody does. This is a new and unique situation. Every country is “winging it” to a greater or lesser extent. There’s no Haynes Manual in how to deal with this. There’s a lot worse countries to be in than this one during this crisis.

Agreed. Watching Messrs Rabb and Starmer today at question time it was so pleasing to see two intelligent and articulate MP's having a sensible conversation. ......and no points scoring!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 12:43:34 pm by Beamer »

Offline The High Sparrow

Because they were until very recently only testing those who were ill enough to be in hospital therefore only those who were most severely affected were tested. many more people who had mild(er) symptoms, self-isolated and recovered at home are not counted in the numbers

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
Because they were until very recently only testing those who were ill enough to be in hospital therefore only those who were most severely affected were tested. many more people who had mild(er) symptoms, self-isolated and recovered at home are not counted in the numbers

Yes I know of people not in the stats, who have recovered and most likely to have had CV-19. Others who went into hospital were tested, 1 survived, one didn't.

Offline Steelworker

That’s incorrect, in my view. An example among several is Taiwan. Pandemic plan in place and executed quickly. New Zealand, South Korea are others among a few more. The key to early yet not complacent success is very rapid decision and action on suppression, building more testing capacity than infections and immediate use of testing and digital location information and tracers to isolate those who are infected or have recently been exposed. We are in a similar position from a loss of control of number of infections (not the overwhelming of health service as Italy) and death statistics as USA, Spain, France, Italy etc.

Offline Beamer

That’s incorrect, in my view. An example among several is Taiwan. Pandemic plan in place and executed quickly. New Zealand, South Korea are others among a few more. The key to early yet not complacent success is very rapid decision and action on suppression, building more testing capacity than infections and immediate use of testing and digital location information and tracers to isolate those who are infected or have recently been exposed. We are in a similar position from a loss of control of number of infections (not the overwhelming of health service as Italy) and death statistics as USA, Spain, France, Italy etc.

But look at the population
New Zealand less than 5m
Taiwan 21m
South Korea 50m

A lot easier to manage 5m rather than 60m+

Offline Blackpool Rock

So what about the Pandemic simulation that was done a few years back and recommended that we stock up on PPE etc, they ignored it and now we are way behind trying to buy stuff when the whole world demand has surged  :wacko:

Can't remember the exact details but I caught something on the news yesterday about the death rate now being higher than during the blitz FFS  :angry:

Offline Steelworker

But look at the population
New Zealand less than 5m
Taiwan 21m
South Korea 50m

A lot easier to manage 5m rather than 60m+

Agreed but it’s an easy excuse too. Early decision to lockdown accompanied by scaling up tests quickly is still the critical success factor. South Korea locked down much earlier, had a temporary spike where infections rose greater than testing capacity but early lockdown allowed it to be pulled back quickly. They now need far fewer than 100k tests across the 50 million to manage it. Here’s the bonus too: the tracking and tracing allows not only those with symptoms to be isolated but those who are likely to have been exposed to be tested before symptoms - and 40% of infections are believed to be caused by pre-symptomatic transmission.

UK continue to say ‘right thing at right time’. Well, we certainly should have been ramping tests up much earlier upon understanding this went human to human and out of China. Plus locking down 2 weeks earlier would have massively reduced deaths. When I remember them saying too early wouldn’t be sustainable it makes me shudder. That was one to two weeks before our long lockdown.

Offline hornyguylondon

There is strong evidence that obese people are around 10X more likely to die from the virus and the UK population is the fattest in W Europe.   It explains why Matt Hancock and Chris Whitty recovered quite quickly whilst Boris was seriously ill.

Not allowed to to state that as a fact, you'll be accused of Fatism - silly but true  :scare:

Offline hornyguylondon

Agreed. Watching Messrs Rabb and Starmer today at question time it was so pleasing to see two intelligent and articulate MP's having a sensible conversation. ......and no points scoring!

Sadly, it won't last long  :unknown:

Always liked, Keir Starmer he's respectful and controlled in his approach - shame he's in the wrong party  :yahoo:

Offline The Film Director

When I remember them saying too early wouldn’t be sustainable it makes me shudder. That was one to two weeks before our long lockdown.

.. and unfortunately Chris Witty - 6(?) weeks later was saying we will now have to have some form of lockdown until (at least) the end of the year.  What changed?  :dash: :dash:

Offline Hobbit

So are you saying website like these are providing inaccurate data? External Link/Members Only

If you look under the recovered tab for each country you can see that UK only have 813 recovered patients. Compare that to France who have 47,775 and Spain 123.903. Nearly every country has more recovered patients than in the UK.

Something surely is not right.  :unknown:

Offline hornyguylondon

.. and unfortunately Chris Witty - 6(?) weeks later was saying we will now have to have some form of lockdown until (at least) the end of the year.  What changed?  :dash: :dash:

The medical experts fucked up badly, too late to advise lockdown allowing the highly contagious virus to multiply quickly,. We're playing catchup now but the damage is done. They'll backtrack on masks soon.

Offline Doc Holliday

The critical success ratio to assess in a country is %age positive tests. If it’s 1 to 3%, like Taiwan, New Zealand, country has epidemic under control and can test and trace (yep, will have to know where people have been  :scare:) while still being very careful but business can start or function. UK is 20% plus. Totally impossible to test and trace until real cases are massively down as result of lockdown and test numbers up. So, arbitrary targets on one side of that ratio like 100,000 are simply set out to drive big increases and try to reassure public that lots is being done. But the media do like a blame and villain story like a missed commitment rather than asking more insightful questions. And us public don’t trust politicians for good reason. It’s a noisy clusterfuck, yes. But actual infections down lots and tests up is only way to arrive at a more manageable new norm.

This^

This^

Agreed but it’s an easy excuse too. Early decision to lockdown accompanied by scaling up tests quickly is still the critical success factor. South Korea locked down much earlier, had a temporary spike where infections rose greater than testing capacity but early lockdown allowed it to be pulled back quickly. They now need far fewer than 100k tests across the 50 million to manage it. Here’s the bonus too: the tracking and tracing allows not only those with symptoms to be isolated but those who are likely to have been exposed to be tested before symptoms - and 40% of infections are believed to be caused by pre-symptomatic transmission.

UK continue to say ‘right thing at right time’. Well, we certainly should have been ramping tests up much earlier upon understanding this went human to human and out of China. Plus locking down 2 weeks earlier would have massively reduced deaths. When I remember them saying too early wouldn’t be sustainable it makes me shudder. That was one to two weeks before our long lockdown.

.. and this^

There was a huge advantage in being 2or 3 weeks behind other countries and we squandered it. Sadly "it is what it is now" and the government finds themselves in an unenviable position in terms of the exit compared to other countries. Cases and deaths are still far too high with an apparent very slow rate of decrease. We also have hotspots within the hospital and care home settings which will delay that decrease in numbers even more.

The government experts consistently avoided giving an estimate of the 'R' value in hospitals when asked ... saying 'R' is declining rather than giving a figure.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 02:20:31 pm by Doc Holliday »

Offline Doc Holliday

So are you saying website like these are providing inaccurate data? External Link/Members Only

If you look under the recovered tab for each country you can see that UK only have 813 recovered patients. Compare that to France who have 47,775 and Spain 123.903. Nearly every country has more recovered patients than in the UK.

Unlike most countries the UK is not providing data for recovered cases. They were briefly but stopped. I have not been able to ascertain why? My local hospital has been providing some data to local media in terms of how many patients have been treated and discharged.

Offline Doc Holliday

Offline Steelworker

The medical experts fucked up badly, too late to advise lockdown allowing the highly contagious virus to multiply quickly,. We're playing catchup now but the damage is done. They'll backtrack on masks soon.

I think we will only know how the delayed decisions happened some way down the track and who was pushing what, what critical insight was ignored or which political pressures prevailed. It won’t just be us. Although the old adage, ‘issues are emotional, solutions are technical and decisions are political’ undoubtedly will play a part.

Agreed on the masks. Stopping a high proportion of the vast quantities of virus in sneezes or coughs in confined spaces from unknowingly infected people makes sense to most ‘successful’ countries and it’s easy to do. Most of the Asian countries with previous experience of outbreaks use them. And they certainly don’t have a false sense of security arising from use.

Offline hornyguylondon

I hope so but I doubt it?

They'll have to if they're going to open up and allow more people to travel on tubes and similar enclosed environments. That's where they are more useful to protect the individual plus of course protecting others from asymptomatic carriers. If they do nothing it could just return like Germany are seeing.

Offline tynetunnel

I agree South Korea seem to have done a cracking job, and much better than the UK and most of the rest of the world. Helped majorly by experience gained in dealing with the SARS epidemic in 2003 which hit the country badly. I’m not saying the UK has done a stupendous job, it’s obvious mistakes have been made in relation to testing and PPE availability. But like I said, there are many worse places in which to be self isolating than our country, and our government is leading the world in supporting furlowed workers, self employed, and business. I think we will be in a stronger position than most of the world at the end of it all

Offline Steelworker

I agree South Korea seem to have done a cracking job, and much better than the UK and most of the rest of the world. Helped majorly by experience gained in dealing with the SARS epidemic in 2003 which hit the country badly. I’m not saying the UK has done a stupendous job, it’s obvious mistakes have been made in relation to testing and PPE availability. But like I said, there are many worse places in which to be self isolating than our country, and our government is leading the world in supporting furlowed workers, self employed, and business. I think we will be in a stronger position than most of the world at the end of it all

I agree on both counts. Despite our situation compared with other faster countries, I’m happier having my movements restricted in UK than I would be pretty much anywhere else. And, it does seem that business support is good. Selfishly, very glad I’ve got a garden and enough money at this stage of my life not to have to worry about it. I’m dying for a horny shag though  :D

Offline hornyguylondon

I agree on both counts. Despite our situation compared with other faster countries, I’m happier having my movements restricted in UK than I would be pretty much anywhere else. And, it does seem that business support is good. Selfishly, very glad I’ve got a garden and enough money at this stage of my life not to have to worry about it. I’m dying for a horny shag though  :D

Please stop mentioning sex on this site - trying to take my mind off it  :lol:

Offline Doc Holliday

They'll have to if they're going to open up and allow more people to travel on tubes and similar enclosed environments. That's where they are more useful to protect the individual plus of course protecting others from asymptomatic carriers. If they do nothing it could just return like Germany are seeing.

No they won't.  ;) They keep procrastinating saying we are being advised by the scientists who are in turn continuing to review the science. Weeks ago they said a decision would be announced in a few days. To my knowledge they still have not said anything? The politicians keep saying we haven't seen the report from SAGE. There is very little science to review and little of it is recent. It is a very difficult are to carry out research.

It is controversial and does divide opinion. If you can be bothered click on the 'responses' tab in the article. My own view is they have their small part to play in an overall regime of best practice infection prevention. Their correct use though does require a degree of education. Instead of saying the public won't use them correctly so not worth bothering, why not attempt to just educate them instead .... although the government seems to think we are all too stupid.

Given that face coverings for the public are worn to stop you infecting others rather than the other way round, to be most effective everyone would need to wear them for the given situation eg on public transport.

If compliance is not at a high level then the effectiveness rapidly reduces. This means considering making use compulsory and I doubt we will see that in the UK?

Yes the situation in Germany is very concerning which just goes to show what a knife-edge we are on.

Offline hornyguylondon

No they won't.  ;) They keep procrastinating saying we are being advised by the scientists who are in turn continuing to review the science. Weeks ago they said a decision would be announced in a few days. To my knowledge they still have not said anything? The politicians keep saying we haven't seen the report from SAGE. There is very little science to review and little of it is recent. It is a very difficult are to carry out research.

It is controversial and does divide opinion. If you can be bothered click on the 'responses' tab in the article. My own view is they have their small part to play in an overall regime of best practice infection prevention. Their correct use though does require a degree of education. Instead of saying the public won't use them correctly so not worth bothering, why not attempt to just educate them instead .... although the government seems to think we are all too stupid.

Given that face coverings for the public are worn to stop you infecting others rather than the other way round, to be most effective everyone would need to wear them for the given situation eg on public transport.

If compliance is not at a high level then the effectiveness rapidly reduces. This means considering making use compulsory and I doubt we will see that in the UK?

Yes the situation in Germany is very concerning which just goes to show what a knife-edge we are on.

I do understand the current scientific position on masks and we've both stated where they would be most effective in this situation. It's just hard to see how they can relax rules without providing some level of protection (even if it's minimal). I do agree it would require public acceptance but we're definitely going to need that anyway given the current situation  :( 

Offline mh

Well, er, precisely. The site may be reputable but the data is clearly "inaccurate". Garbage in, garbage out.

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
This target is now in sight, wow!

Offline mh

This target is now in sight, wow!

If Priti Patel reads out the number of tests done then they will have far exceeded the target!

Offline Beamer

If Priti Patel reads out the number of tests done then they will have far exceeded the target!

She really is a liability and totally unbelievable.

Just seen Boris has said the UK was "past the peak" of the virus outbreak, but stressed the country must not "risk a second spike".

Let's hope it's for real.......

Offline hornyguylondon

Get your masks ready - what a surprising U turn   ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 07:42:37 am by hornyguylondon »

Offline Jerk Chicken

So Govt meets the 100,000 target???

Whatever!

Online WARSZAWA16

Another example of the check being in the post though by the look of it....