Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 2023-24 Football season  (Read 42751 times)

Online WARSZAWA16

FA Cup replays to be scrapped from the first round onwards from 2024-5 season:
External Link/Members Only

Offline JontyR

Thats sad news. Folks talk about how the magic of the cup has been dissapated over the years, I've not really concurred with this but I missed the fact that replays used to be on the Tuesday or Wednesday immediately after the original tie. This gave an added frisson to the games where bad feeling or injuries were still impactful. To lose them altogether, not a fan.

I don't think many think that penalties are a great way of deciding a tie, but this makes it much more likely.

Offline threechilliman

From the 2021-2 season. Always thought it was a good rule myself, but that's UEFA for you with all their unnecessary meddling..
I guess penalty shoot-outs are more televisually appealing and therefore more money making than the away goals rule as a way of deciding the outcome of a game and UEFA will always opt for the money option rather than what might be fair.

Offline timsussex

there is to be a new independent Football regulator - fancy the job of chairman ?

£130k a year for 3 days work a week

Oh and its based in Manchester so that will preclude most ManU fans  :rolleyes:

The independent regulator’s main tasks will be to license professional clubs to take part in the top-five leagues on the basis that they can demonstrate their financial sustainability. It will oversee owners’ and directors’ tests and ratify takeovers of the clubs.

The regulator will also enforce a new financial settlement from the Premier League to the EFL — something that top-flight clubs have so far refused to agree to.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 02:45:17 pm by timsussex »

Offline southcoastpunter

there is to be a new independent Football regulator - fancy the job of chairman ?

£130k a year for 3 days work a week

sorry - can't afford the drop in salary! haha

Offline lostandfound

It's about the influence not the salary.  ;)

Online mr.bluesky

I guess penalty shoot-outs are more televisually appealing and therefore more money making than the away goals rule as a way of deciding the outcome of a game and UEFA will always opt for the money option rather than what might be fair.

The away goals rule has now been scrapped in most cup competitions. If it had still been in use then Man City would have qualified for the Champions league final last night.
Like you say penalty shoot outs are more dramatic
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 05:28:07 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline timsussex

but its only 3 days a week so leaves 4 days to have a proper job !
and think of all the hospitality on match days and then there is the Sepp Blatter example

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

Fucking hell the French must hate Emi Martinez!

We were second best tonight but over two legs they could not put us away, Martinez is the best keeper in the world and I’m beginning to dream!

UTV

Offline timsussex

Fucking hell the French must hate Emi Martinez!

We were second best tonight but over two legs they could not put us away, Martinez is the best keeper in the world and I’m beginning to dream!

UTV

Not sure if Martinez is the best keeper in the world but he would probably my choice for penalties

Offline radioman33

I reckon Cov are in with a good chance of beating Man Utd on Sunday,they have Simms + Wright scoring a lot of goals.
An good story about mark robbins on bbc website today,I watched Southend v Coventry at Roots Hall,they have come a long way.

Mr Blue Sky did you get your hands on a ticket?

Offline silverspoon

FA Cup replays to be scrapped from the first round onwards from 2024-5 season:

Killing the lower leagues for the bigger teams in Europe ,what a fucking Joke,rich getting richer just like every walk of life

Offline nwluvit

Should have kept replays up to the 3rd Round. That would have given non-League sides chances in Round 1, 2 and 3 to earn extra dosh. There are some "big" clubs in League 1 and 2 and of course Championship and PL clubs enter at Round 3.

Should have kept replays up to the 3rd Round. That would have given non-League sides chances in Round 1, 2 and 3 to earn extra dosh. There are some "big" clubs in League 1 and 2 and of course Championship and PL clubs enter at Round 3.

729 teams entered this year’s competition and this decision has virtually been made by 20 teams. It’s wrong and if they carry on like this the next thing to go will be promotion and relegation. Football these days is about protecting the elite clubs at the expense of all of the others.

Offline threechilliman

They'll kill the magic of the FA Cup doing this.

Online mr.bluesky

729 teams entered this year’s competition and this decision has virtually been made by 20 teams. It’s wrong and if they carry on like this the next thing to go will be promotion and relegation. Football these days is about protecting the elite clubs at the expense of all of the others.

:thumbsup: exactly that.

Online mr.bluesky

Mr Blue Sky did you get your hands on a ticket?

Unfortunately unable to attend. I will watch it at home with plenty of snacks and plenty of booze, to celebrate or drown my sorrows  (probably the latter).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 04:48:45 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline timsussex

very true - but virtually every season there is a big team who escape with a draw away at a minnow then thrash them in the replay.
Next season could see ManUre or {insert most hated team here} go out on penalties - that at least will raise a smile or two.
The other 709 teams should change the rules to go straight to penalties after 90 minutes. Extra time only favours the bigger sides with large squads and better trained players and of course ET doesnt raise any extra cash.

Online webpunter

very true - but virtually every season there is a big team who escape with a draw away at a minnow then thrash them in the replay.
Next season could see ManUre or {insert most hated team here everywhere} go out on penalties - that at least will raise a smile or two.
The other 709 teams should change the rules to go straight to penalties after 90 minutes. Extra time only favours the bigger sides with large squads and better trained players and of course ET doesnt raise any extra cash.

Good call, other than for a minor correction

Online webpunter

Was in the motor & listening to TalkSport
The PL & FA aint exactly saying it as it is
They announced that discussions on the change discussed / agreed with the EFL
To which the EFL have responded like fuck it was

Thought Monkey [on Talk Sport] was v.good highlighting that the FA Cup has always been about the smaller teams / minnows having the opportunity to take on the big / bigger teams
Describing how The Arse nearly got beat against Port Vale, only going thru on the replay after pens  :thumbsup:

There are two scenarios when it comes to the teams lower down [LD] draw against a higher up in the 1st leg
If the LD team are at home in the 1st leg & get a draw the replay is a big earner for them on the replay as gate receipts split
& fans, especially younger ones get to go to a stadium they only usually see on TV
If the 1st leg is away & the LD team get a draw there is a higher prospect of a giant killing
At home, usually a smaller compact stadium with fans making it noisy & intimidating
& a match the fans will remember for a long long time, especially if they win

The PL & FA are under pressure from the self serving Prem teams as supposed fixture congestion
This is bollox as over the summer they go on tours [only one reason ££]

IMO the EFL teams should boycott the competition
Announce it on their websites / in the media
Somewhere in there an ambiguous statement not making this 100% binding
Other teams jump on the bandwagon & it wont take long for the FA Cup to be watered down so significantly it becomes an embarrassment
The likes of Sky TNT Amazon C4 C5 anyone showing matches will go off at the deep end, oh dear

The PL & FA are a bunch of self serving cunts
Lets not forget that the tosspot FA decided themselves to change the england flag on shirts with Nike in cahoots
Inclusivity bollox yet again  :dash:
Oooh a little bit of pink, in the euros the fans in Germany could get the piss ripped out of them by other countries fans
I cant imagine the LGBGT fans who travel Germany [in their droves  :rolleyes:] knowing the words to Five German Bombers !

Online mr.bluesky

So Aston Villa are the "last man standing" ( just) in Europe this season. It must be a long time since a lack of English teams in the semi finals of the major European competitions. The Hammers came close to achieving what no team has so far done this season and beat the unbeaten Bayer Leverkusen. What a remarkable job Xabi Alonso has done there,  taking them to the Bundesliga * title and still in both Cup competitions,  no wonder he's in demand.

* stopping Bayern Munichs run of 11 consecutive league titles in the process
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 07:33:05 am by mr.bluesky »

Online stampjones

I dont think that was alonso, more harry kane  :wacko:

So Aston Villa are the "last man standing" ( just) in Europe this season. It must be a long time since a lack of English teams in the semi finals of the major European competitions. The Hammers came close to achieving what no team has so far done this season and beat the unbeaten Bayer Leverkusen. What a remarkable job Xabi Alonso has done there,  taking them to the Bundesliga * title and still in both Cup competitions,  no wonder he's in demand.

It’s incredible to think that it’s just 5 years since the Villa beat Derby in the Championship play off final and 6 years since we lost to Fulham in the previous season’s play off final. At that point we were on the verge of going out of business until our fantastic owners stepped in. I’m still in dreamland and in many ways I’m waiting for the wheels to come off, but that’s just my natural Brummie pessimism!

Good luck tomorrow Mr Blue Sky, I hope your boys do you proud. Sorry to read that you aren’t going but enjoy your day either way.

Online mr.bluesky

It’s incredible to think that it’s just 5 years since the Villa beat Derby in the Championship play off final and 6 years since we lost to Fulham in the previous season’s play off final. At that point we were on the verge of going out of business until our fantastic owners stepped in. I’m still in dreamland and in many ways I’m waiting for the wheels to come off, but that’s just my natural Brummie pessimism!

Good luck tomorrow Mr Blue Sky, I hope your boys do you proud. Sorry to read that you aren’t going but enjoy your day either way.

:drinks: cheers Jumping Jack. Villa have certainly come a long way in a few seasons , Unai Emery must surely be manager of the year in what he has achieved with the club.( and to think Gerrard almost took you down ) It will be some achievement if he gets them into the Champions league spot and Final of the Europa Conference 42 years after winning the European Cup.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 08:06:05 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline ulstersubbie

What a remarkable job Xabi Alonso has done there,  taking them to the Bundesliga * title and still in both Cup competitions,  no wonder he's in demand.

I'm getting on the blower to the chairman at Patrick Thistle, surely Xabi would swap the Bundesliga for rainy dark nights at Firhill.    :D

Online mr.bluesky

Game on !
Even Homer Simpson is supporting us.

Hidden Image/Members Only

PUSB  :yahoo:
It will probably end in tears like our last visit to Wembley

May have to go for a pre match punt to steady the nerves.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 07:24:14 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Private Parts

Game on !
Even Homer Simpson is supporting us.

PUSB  :yahoo:
I just hope it doesn't end in tears like our last visit to Wembley

Mr Blue Sky. Good luck Today. I’m an honorary SkyB through my dear father in law.
You have suffered in silence as fans for too long. Let’s get you through and into the ‘home’ dressing room.
So you can wear your famous colours and watch the northern lot struggle in their chocolate/green/red pyjamas!
As a long suffering villain who watched the ‘82 European cup final stuck in a restaurant in central France, I can feel the anticipation.
UTV :hi:

Online mr.bluesky

:drinks: it's certainly been tough following the Sky Blues these last 7 or 8 seasons but now we're on an upwards trend and there's light at the end of the tunnel.
Nice photo  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 08:01:09 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Private Parts

Mr Bs (excuse the abbreviation and nothing intended)
17 in the squad. Not a make up artist in sight. Proper football team.

Online mr.bluesky

Mr Bs (excuse the abbreviation and nothing intended)
17 in the squad. Not a make up artist in sight. Proper football team.

:drinks: by the way love your avatar picture  :thumbsup: always used to read Roy of the Rovers when I was a young kid ( a long time ago I know :rolleyes:) we need a Roy of the Rovers performance today from somebody.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 02:19:09 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Blackpool Rock

:drinks: by the way love your avatar picture  :thumbsup: always used to read Roy of the Rovers when I was a young kid ( a long time ago I know :rolleyes:) we need a Roy of the Rovers performance today from somebody.
Shame you couldn't make it today but save it for the final, perhaps  :unknown:

One thing is for sure that 99% of Neutrals will be willing on the sky blues  :drinks:

Offline Blackpool Rock

That 2nd goal just before half time means the mountain is far higher in the 2nd half for Coventry, at 1-0 they may have stood a chance and the team talk now has to be rapidly changed
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 04:42:49 pm by Blackpool Rock »

Online mr.bluesky

« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 05:32:16 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Blackpool Rock

Well at 3-0 Coventry were dead and buried so I switched over to a different game on the radio and they said Coventry had got a consolation goal 3-1 then 3-2 then controversy with a penalty going to VAR so I switched back over to watch it go to extra time  :scare:

Even if they lose at least they will have a day to remember where they fought rather than getting stuffed  :thumbsup:

Offline Private Parts

You couldn’t write the script.
Fantastic and now extra time. 👍

Online mr.bluesky

You couldn’t write the script.
Fantastic and now extra time. 👍

I think I've aged 20 years watching this game.

Offline timsussex

I think I've aged 20 years watching this game.

I went to walk the dog at 3 nil - reckon you owe me a pint if they win! :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 05:49:33 pm by timsussex »

Online webpunter

On other matters its kicking off with VAR

I hope they do sue the PGMOL

VAR are beyond shite, they've got slo-mo, numerous camera angles & they still consistently fuck it up with amazing ease

Watching it on sky with a couple of replays & its obvious to everyone

However i would like to see Luton stay up & Forest are FFP cheats

Online webpunter

I went to walk the dog at 3 nil - reckon you owe me a pint if they win! :rolleyes:

My dog is exceedingly fucked off, i've delayed walkies to watch extra time

Or is this a euphemism ?

Online mr.bluesky

If they win I'll buy you 20 pints  :drinks:

Online webpunter

If they do ETH could buy you a pint, his diary will suddenly be clear

Online mr.bluesky

My dog is exceedingly fucked off, i've delayed walkies to watch extra time

Or is this a euphemism ?

If he knows the route sending him out on his own   :D

Offline Blackpool Rock

Fuck me Coventry hit the bar with 5 minutes to go  :scare:

Offline Blackpool Rock

Taxi for Ten Hag  :yahoo:

Actually looks offside  :thumbsdown:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 06:09:57 pm by Blackpool Rock »

Offline timsussex

Damn VAR cost me 20 pints !

apparently lots of ManU "fans" left as soon as the ball went in the net

Offline Blackpool Rock

Damn VAR cost me 20 pints !

apparently lots of ManU "fans" left as soon as the ball went in the net
I was in a pub for the CL final in 99 when they were 1-0 down and fans were leaving after only 20 minutes  :thumbsdown:

Online mr.bluesky

Bugger  :dash: Wembley and penalties don't go hand in hand for Coventry.  But what a game, what a comeback by the Sky Blues , nearly climbed that mountain Blackpool Rock  :cry:
Bloody VAR.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2024, 06:28:29 pm by mr.bluesky »