Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Stuff I miss and that's not around any more.  (Read 20724 times)

Offline WASA38

Anyone remember Timothy White's and Taylor's ?

Major high street pharmacists with hundreds of outlets nationwide.

They were the main competitor of  Boot's and got swallowed up by them in the '60s.

Don't recall ever entering one. Our local pharmacy used to be happy selling all manner of dangerous chemicals to young home chemists like me. Concentrated mineral acid and even sodium cyanide although he did make me sign a poisons form for the latter. I can't imagine why he stocked such things but he was mad as a hatter. Once got fined for flying his plane with his son between the towers of Tower Bridge !  His son expressed disappointment afterwards having expected to go under the roadway. :scare:

Offline Thephoenix

The old High Street Tailor's Shops:

Montague Burton
John Collier
Jackson's
Hepworths
Alexandre
Neville Reed
Dunns
Weaver To Wearer.

They seemed to vanish overnight.

Online Blackpool Rock

I miss proper, old fashioned hard seaside rock. The stuff thats hard enough to give your little brother a concussion when you hit him over the head with it, glass-like hardness, it would take an age to suck through (painting your face bright, sticky blue, red etc in the process) and it would invariably dissolve into sharp needle-like structures just to add an air of danger to the enjoyment.

At some point in the last 10 years (I don't get to the seaside often) they all seem to have been replaced with some soft, crumbly, alternative recipe. Pleasant enough but not really the genuine article at all.
I'm sure the new rock is the same but it does go soft with age so perhaps what you've had is old and a bit off / stale  :unknown:

Offline webpunter

The old High Street Tailor's Shops:

Montague Burton
John Collier
Jackson's
Hepworths
Alexandre
Neville Reed
Dunns
Weaver To Wearer.

They seemed to vanish overnight.

The clothes all seemed to look the same
Like Bob & Terry wore in The Likely Lads
Lots of browns

Foster Brothers, i had a many a pair of Jonathan jeans

Offline webpunter

but it does go soft with age so perhaps what you've had is old and a bit off / stale  :unknown:

thats not a very nice thing to say
what about the rock ?

Offline catweazle

#John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch!#

Offline WASA38

#John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch!#

Formerly traded as the Fifty Shilling Tailors.

As a kid i was always nonplussed by the absence of suits priced at £2.50 in their display windows.

Before the Trade Descriptions Act

Offline nwluvit

The clothes all seemed to look the same
Like Bob & Terry wore in The Likely Lads
Lots of browns

Foster Brothers, i had a many a pair of Jonathan jeans
Yep, i got a brown check lumberjacket from Hepworth's.

Are Dunn & co still around? Always had a cracking selection of flat caps.

Offline webpunter

Yep, i got a brown check lumberjacket from Hepworth's.

Are Dunn & co still around? Always had a cracking selection of flat caps.

Hepworth's + D&C, good shout  :hi:
Since their demise hopefully you;ve been getting plenty of the cat pussy flaps  ;)

Offline webpunter

Offline petermisc

KT & mangoes yabba dabba
Honestly?  If I had known about the ignore function back then, he would have been the first I would have used it on.  Little more than a stream of incomprehensible gibberish from a five year old in a sweet shop.

Online mr.bluesky

Honestly?  If I had known about the ignore function back then, he would have been the first I would have used it on.  Little more than a stream of incomprehensible gibberish from a five year old in a sweet shop.

And a cockney Wankchester Utd fan, the worse sort.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
And a cockney Wankchester Utd fan, the worse sort.
They're all cockneys aren't they? Isn't that why they all leave Old Trafford early when they're losing, to catch the train home.   :unknown:

Online mr.bluesky

They're all cockneys aren't they? Isn't that why they all leave Old Trafford early when they're losing, to catch the train home.   :unknown:

Very true,  they'll have less distance to travel than Coventry fans when we play them at Wembley in the FA cup semi final

Offline Dr Talueng

Don't recall ever entering one. Our local pharmacy used to be happy selling all manner of dangerous chemicals to young home chemists like me. Concentrated mineral acid and even sodium cyanide although he did make me sign a poisons form for the latter. I can't imagine why he stocked such things but he was mad as a hatter. Once got fined for flying his plane with his son between the towers of Tower Bridge !  His son expressed disappointment afterwards having expected to go under the roadway. :scare:

About 1/3rd of the way down External Link/Members Only ... a certain Frank Miller from Chingford!

Offline webpunter

What day is it today ?  ;)  :D

Offline petermisc

What day is it today ?  ;)  :D
In which case, you were 17 minutes too late.

Online mr.bluesky

Hidden Image/Members Only

Anyone remember these?

Yeah, shoe segments you put on the heel of your shoes to stop the heel wearing down. It was the craze when I was at school to have them on your shoes so they made that clicking noise when you walked.  Trouble is they were lethal on polished wooden floors ,  no grip whatsoever and you would often do the splits or go arse over tit  :scare:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 11:09:40 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline m4rmite

Anyone remember these?
Known round my area as dinkies,
Commonly fitted to and worn on slats(shoes)

Offline webpunter

Commonly fitted to and worn on slats(shoes)

Segs pour moi
You could get larger ones which went pretty much round the heel
& IIRC smaller ones which could be fitted front of your shoes at the toe area for full on clicking

Online Jonestown

Also known as Blakeys, after the original maker.

Offline hullad

School crossing patrols are vanishing due to the budget squeeze on schools and more kids arriving at the schools in cars. Two primarys and a senior near me no longer employ 'lollypoppers'  and it would see to be a growing trend. Just yesterday in the city a five year old girl was knocked down and killed by a lorry at a school gate. I am not saying this caused or was even a factor but penny pinching ideas like this can have tragic consequences.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 03:14:17 am by hullad »

Online george r

Also known as Blakeys, after the original maker.

Yes blakeys , segs were 4 sided and wider at one end than the other, both made a nice sound when walking , not used them in yrs not many leather soled shoes anymore

Online mr.bluesky

School crossing patrols are vanishing due to the budget squeeze on schools and more kids arriving at the schools in cars. Two primarys and a senior near me no longer employ 'lollypoppers'  and it would see to be a growing trend. Just yesterday in the city a five year old girl was knocked down and killed by a lorry at a school gate. I am not saying this caused or was even a factor but penny pinching ideas like this can have tragic consequences.

School not far from me still has a lollypop lady. Like you say with so many local councils in dire financial straits at the moment it's not surprising they are disappearing due to cut backs. Sad news about the little girl getting killed.

Offline Hoping

Offline WASA38

About 1/3rd of the way down External Link/Members Only ... a certain Frank Miller from Chingford!

That's the guy. Thanks Doc.; I tried for ages to remember his name.

Online mr.bluesky

Quote from: Thephoenix ⁹link=topic=349247.msg4056900#msg4056900 date=1713218290
Anyone remember these?

Knacker squeezers as used by  dominatrixes :scare:  :unknown:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 06:22:29 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline anotherwoody69

Anyone remember these?

I recall my mother had a set, for hooking your clothes out of the washing machine. The machine in question being a top loader, rather than front loader.

:lol:

Online timsussex

I recall my mother had a set, for hooking your clothes out of the washing machine. The machine in question being a top loader, rather than front loader.

washing machine ? - you mean the Poss Tub

But yes my mother then had a twin tub, small top loading washer and small spin dryer alongside and to save the hot water you used such tongs to transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer then wash some more while the first lot were drying. Final drying was on a clothes airer hoisted to the kitchen ceiling by a rope over a pulley
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 02:43:35 pm by timsussex »

Offline StingRay

I love front loaders, so much easier to unwrap the goodies!  :)

Offline radioman33

The original Swingball,metal pole,tennis ball and 100% concentration otherwise your getting a damaged face.

Online george r

Anyone remember these?

yes and the hand mangle to squeeze as much water out as possible  !!!

Offline anotherwoody69

But yes my mother then had a twin tub, small top loading washer and small spin dryer alongside and to save the hot water you used such tongs to transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer then wash some more while the first lot were drying. Final drying was on a clothes airer hoisted to the kitchen ceiling by a rope over a pulley

Thats exactly what we had, twin tub, but as I was around four or five years old at the time what it was called and its exact operation are beyond my recall.
I guess you have a couple of years on me and a better memory  :lol:

Offline webpunter

I reck nowadays kids could report their parents to social services for giving them this
I saw it in Waitrose, well i never
Who on earth buys it these days ?

Offline Ghost89

I reck nowadays kids could report their parents to social services for giving them this

I had some a little while ago expecting it to be terrible. I found it ok tbh. Better than i expected.

Online mr.bluesky

Anyone remember these?

Yes,  didn't they fire matchsticks  :unknown:
I used to have some model armoured cars / tanks * that did the same thing. Cut the head off a matchstick , slide it down the barrel and fire it.They used to have a simple spring firing mechanism but could shoot a matchstick quite a distance  :yahoo:

* I think they were made by corgi
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:07:58 am by mr.bluesky »

Online mr.bluesky

I remember having it as a kid, it was horrible.  I've seen other makes of instant mash made by other companies including Iceland who make their own version and its a lot nicer.
Cadburys made the original Smash, used to love the advert with the little metal aliens, that was a classic

Offline Thephoenix

Nope.

Is it a piece of military art?  :)

See #1045

Boys toys of the 1950s.  :hi:

Offline Bonker

Art-illery?
I know, it was a rubbish joke.