Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: How UKP Style Reviews Were Shared Before the Internet  (Read 763 times)

Offline PatMacGroin

External Link/Members Only

Just enjoyed this reading this link about the origins of the word hooker found on another thread. Especially this passage, a snippet of a 19th Century letter sharing advice on the best local talent:

"... it is reported to have been in use in North Carolina c. 1845 ("f he comes by way of Norfolk he will find any number of pretty Hookers in the Brick row not far from French's hotel. Take my advice and touch nothing in the shape of a prostitute when you come through Raleigh, for in honest truth the clap is there of luxuriant growth." letter quoted in Norman E. Eliason, "Tarheel Talk," 1956). "

Do you think it must be one of the earliest recorded WG reviews?  :unknown:

It made me think that it's good to know nothing changes that much really. Seems like guys have always tried to find a way to share their knowledge of SP's they've seen. Technology just makes some things easier.

Can you think of other ways to do it before the rise of the internet and the blessed UKP?

One that I'm reminded of was the "Call xxx xxx xxxx and ask for Nancy for a good time" scrawled inside public toilet cubicles.  :D

Or maybe there are examples earlier than the letter above. For example, I could even imagine one carved in hieroglyphics somewhere inside one of the pyramids!  :lol:

Offline Spacecowb0y

UKP and the interweb is just an extension to "word of mouth"
Only problem being we don't know each other personally but virtually.

Barry Shipton

This mentions guides going back to 1660 but the best seller was a regular guide published for 50 years in the 1700s called Harris’s List - a guide to every hooker in Covent Garden.

Think a couple of them listed are still on AW  :D

Offline PatMacGroin

This mentions guides going back to 1660 but the best seller was a regular guide published for 50 years in the 1700s called Harris’s List - a guide to every hooker in Covent Garden.

Think a couple of them listed are still on AW  :D

Great stuff!  :D

I'm sure this review made her a popular WG. Although sounds a bit like touting to me, a whore that often gives refunds because she likes you?  :lol::

“Jenny Nelson, St Martins Lane.
A jolly smart wench, a good companion at table; but particularly joyous in bed; there are few whores to be found so generous as she is, often restoring the money when she likes her man; but she drinks damnably, and is then too apt to be saucy.”

Offline MilleMiglia

Historically, probably the best known guide was one to the courtesans of Venice, which I think was mentioned by Brian Sewell.