Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Travel insurance - single trip 60 day stay . Thailand  (Read 816 times)

Offline Dulmenite

Been doing the rounds looking for some decent travel insurance for a couple of months stay in Thailand next year . Sure , lots of different prices , levels of cover and loads of exclusion clauses . Any recommendations for a particular company ?  Or , even more important ones to avoid . 

Offline Jimmyredcab

I buy a yearly policy, the cost depends on your age. Check the small print because some have a 30 day limit on each trip.

Offline Dulmenite

Think you missed the point there Jimmy .  Single trip , long stay .

Offline Marmalade

I gave up looking for a reasonable insurance to cover long trips. Even yearly policies seem to draw the line at a two or three month stay abroad. Carry emergency medical supplies which include antibiotics and malaria treatment. Try not get beaten up, mugged, drugged, or conned. Calculate distance and time to nearest reliable medical facilities, understand reasonable precautions. If you can’t get insurance, try not to need it. I don’t go skiing and try not to carry enough to make robbery easy or worthwhile. Good luck.

Offline Jerboa

I've never stayed 60 days, have over 30, and just tweaked my policy, not sure if something like a backpackers insurance would be appropriate.

Offline Marmalade

I've never stayed 60 days, have over 30, and just tweaked my policy, not sure if something like a backpackers insurance would be appropriate.
As far as I know, no-one does them. Or if they did, they’d be extortionate. I’m not overly fond of paying insurance. Whether it’s to Al Capone or legit. Rather spend money on not needing it.

Offline Jimmyredcab

As far as I know, no-one does them. Or if they did, they’d be extortionate. I’m not overly fond of paying insurance. Whether it’s to Al Capone or legit. Rather spend money on not needing it.

Terrible advice, have a heart attack in America without insurance and you will be in big trouble.  :thumbsdown:

Offline Dulmenite

Thanks for the link Steve , as I take Omeprazole on a daily basis I have booked an appointment with the Doc to determine the exact pre medical condition to declare .  Apparently any pre existing medical condition that is not declared can give the insurer an avenue to refuse any claim .
Yes Jimmy , any punter over 60 going abroad without insurance is indeed playing Russian Roulette .

Offline Marmalade

Terrible advice, have a heart attack in America without insurance and you will be in big trouble.  :thumbsdown:

It’s not advice. It’s a) reality — insurance, as I said, is not offered for long trips abroad, and b) my policy in the face of reality. It is not “advice” Jim.

Offline Marmalade

External Link/Members Only
I often go for longer than that. Basically, living abroad for several months of the year.

Offline Bangers and Gash

Not riding a scooter reduces the need for medical insurance by at least 98%.   :rolleyes:

Offline Jimmyredcab

Yes Jimmy , any punter over 60 going abroad without insurance is indeed playing Russian Roulette .

Why over 60.   :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: :unknown: :unknown:

A few years ago I was on a Thailand flight when a man in his forties had a suspected heart attack, the plane diverted to India to offload him.    :thumbsdown:

Offline Marmalade

Not riding a scooter reduces the need for medical insurance by at least 98%.   :rolleyes:

Quite probably! Though I’ve happily ridden one in Bali and Koh Samui with near-empty roads and flow speeds.

If there is anything to be taken from my ‘no insurance’ policy for other people (who can and probably do get insurance for shorter trips and for which insurance is available) it is maybe this:

If you travel without insurance, you don’t assume someone else will look after you. Instead you think, “What is the worst that could happen? How will I handle it?” You become very aware of your own medical conditions if any, and the dangers of illness in specific countries. You fine tune your medicines kit. You know about symptoms to look out for. And what self-medicating treatments are possible. Before undertaking dangerous sports, you think more carefully about your individual capabilities and work out what know and don’t know how to accomplish. You learn to assess the local dangers carefully and expand your safety zone with equal care.

You can do all this of course and still take insurance, but you might do a more thorough job if you think to yourself there is no “somebody else” to call.

In thirty years of travelling or more, I’ve only been to a foreign hospital once (in Bangkok, I was still learning) and only had a semi-serious injury once (in the Amazon — sorted by common sense).

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve helped out panicking tourists on matters like security or simple medical emergencies. That’s another thing: think ahead and the chances are you will be able to think more calmly and logically if an emergency does arise. You’ve nothing to lose and a lot to gain — and remember, if you do have to claim on insurance it’s probably because you fucked up in some way or other. So travel safely, and know your limits.

Enjoy!

Offline MilleMiglia

When I went on my first holiday abroad to one of the Greek islands many years ago, we had an arrival brief by one of the reps, which I assume was standard practice. He mentioned that he'd had 3 scooter related fatalities that year, and was keen to avoid adding to the tally.

Offline BDiONU

Money Saving Expert site usually finds best deals:   External Link/Members Only