Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Passing of an era, time for a republic?  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Kev40ish

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Now the old birds gone it's time to get rid of the lot of them, interestingly the firm had a jolly in London today, we saw the queue from above and by far the majority of everyone under 30 I was with  could not give a toss so there's hope for the future

Really???
A jolly standing in front of a coffin whilst you grieve with the world watch you..

Online Watts.E.Dunn

Now the old birds gone it's time to get rid of the lot of them, interestingly the firm had a jolly in London today, we saw the queue from above and by far the majority of everyone under 30 I was with  could not give a toss so there's hope for the future

So what were you in the queue too?...

Offline Kev40ish

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24

I doubt it watching it on YouTube so they don’t have to pay the licence fee..

Offline Marmalade

Notice how from how all the protestors are dressed and conduct themselves. Clearly hard-working, dutiful tax-paying respectable citizens making a contribution to society. One wonders how terrible it must have been for them to take time off from their jobs.

Errrr... probably not.

Online akauya

It's sort of a good point. I suppose the logical objection is that gun control would lessen similar killings, which are the cause of the suffering, and banning discussion of gun control is generally not seen as sympathetic to those grieving. Republicans, as you are suggesting, are being disingenuous rather than really caring about people's feelings. Bereaved parents are usually the ones that call for gun control. i.e.banning discussion = less gun control = more suffering.

The opposite is true with 'banning' (although I don't think that's the correct thing) discussion of a republic while people are mourning. The only way that interrupting mourning with discussion of a republic – with a republic negating the monarchy – would be to lessen mourning of future sovereigns by not having any sovereigns. A bit like stopping school shootings by abolishing schools.

There could be a lot of word play here. So feel free to turn the analogy on its head!  :D The mods haven't banned the thread, nor should they. Any opposition to the discussion has simply been I think that maybe the timing was in bad taste?

Sorry, no solution to the dilemma with the wife.  :scare:

I understand what you mean and I do respect people's wishes/desire/right to grieve and to do so in peace. I also respect people's right to free speech. We live in a democracy (or a semblance of one at least) and one of the pillars of a democracy is free speech. As such there isn't a "time and a place" for freedom of speech (or at least there shouldn't be) otherwise it would be "controlled" speech.

I was troubled when protestors were arrested for holding "Not my king" signs (or something alike). If we, as a mature democracy, allow that to happen or become the norm then we become a spurious democracy where we only allow "freedom of speech" as long as that speech agrees with us.

I believe people must be prepared to have difficult conversations, the very fact that those conversations are difficult means there will probably never be a "right time" to talk about them.

So, going back to the question on this thread. I don't really have a solution or answer whether this is the time to discuss the end of monarchy or not. 

Personally, I don't think it will happen the way hardcore republicans want it to happen. I think Charlie boy will never have the same gravitas his mum had, also the rest royal family are seen less and less dignified or "royal" for a better word that at one point in future their role will become so minimal that it won't matter whether they exist or not.

In the meantime my quest for the perfect shoot down phrase for when my wife tries to talk uncomfortable shit with me continues  :D

Offline timsussex

no he's a pigeon - he did say from above

Offline Marmalade

I understand what you mean and I do respect people's wishes/desire/right to grieve and to do so in peace. I also respect people's right to free speech. We live in a democracy (or a semblance of one at least) and one of the pillars of a democracy is free speech. As such there isn't a "time and a place" for freedom of speech (or at least there shouldn't be) otherwise it would be "controlled" speech.

I was troubled when protestors were arrested for holding "Not my king" signs (or something alike). If we, as a mature democracy, allow that to happen or become the norm then we become a spurious democracy where we only allow "freedom of speech" as long as that speech agrees with us.

I believe people must be prepared to have difficult conversations, the very fact that those conversations are difficult means there will probably never be a "right time" to talk about them.

So, going back to the question on this thread. I don't really have a solution or answer whether this is the time to discuss the end of monarchy or not. 

Personally, I don't think it will happen the way hardcore republicans want it to happen. I think Charlie boy will never have the same gravitas his mum had, also the rest royal family are seen less and less dignified or "royal" for a better word that at one point in future their role will become so minimal that it won't matter whether they exist or not.

In the meantime my quest for the perfect shoot down phrase for when my wife tries to talk uncomfortable shit with me continues  :D

So just out of interest, if we agree they have the rights — or at least or especially if they weren’t arrested (law differs England and Scotland)  — but even if they had the moral right and the interpretation of their rights by the police was wrong, did they show bad taste?

That was the point I heard mostly. They may have had the tight, but it was inappropriate IMO  to exercise it.

Alternatively…

Rights are bound up with duties. Rights to free speech are already limited by laws against hate speech, the duty to refrain from hate speech or, in the present case, to refrain from engaging in acts or speech that risk disturbing the peace.

These don’t have to be tested for an arrest to be made. For instance a person disrupting an officially sanctioned public event.

What I noticed in Wales was that the ‘republicans’, were cordoned off. They could whistle and make a noise, wave their banners, but their small group was not mixed in with the massive group of supporters. They had a greater appearance of a legitimate protest.

Btw I don’t have strong feelings for or against the monarchy: the position I have taken on this thread, which is largely pro the event, is the same as if I were at anybody’s funeral, even that of someone I hated. I think showing sympathy at such a time is good manners; also, as there is a political angle, I feel it is patriotic at this time to do so.

Thank you for expressing a contrary view in a gentlemanly manner though: there is always room for polite difference of opinion.

Offline Stevelondon

Everything gets overthought and complicated.
Marmalades analogy when he mentions simply good manners sums it up enough for me.
I’m neither for or against the monarchy.
I’m definitely for free speech but think also a time and place enters into the equation.

Offline smokey

I could have joined on Thursday v close to millennium bridge but certainly had no intention to do so

Offline smokey

I doubt it watching it on YouTube so they don’t have to pay the licence fee..
Certainly not watching TV at the moment, perhaps Tuesday onwards, licence fee not sure I get value from or not...

Offline tp69

There is a world of difference between a funeral and a coronation.

It should be patently obvious which one is the better choice for a protest.

Doing so at a funeral is extremely disrespectful and callous. And doing so under the banner of free speech is pathetic.

Offline Marmalade

Doing so at a funeral is extremely disrespectful and callous. And doing so under the banner of free speech is pathetic.

Dunno why they don’t just stay at home and play God Save The Queen (Sex Pistols) until their eardrums burst. Not a bad song. Anarchy for the U.K. was better.

I remember managing to get the album out of a second hand shop. Got stopped in the street by some guy offering many times what I’d paid for it. Tosser. Why would anyone sell it.  :dash:

But every cnut has its day.  :cool:

Online akauya

So just out of interest, if we agree they have the rights — or at least or especially if they weren’t arrested (law differs England and Scotland)  — but even if they had the moral right and the interpretation of their rights by the police was wrong, did they show bad taste?

Most definitely. I am a firm believer of the "read the room" maxim. The protestors either didn't read the room or didn't want to. Unfortunately by protesting and ignoring what the rest of the people are feeling they only antagonise the opposition (as if they weren't antagonist already) which leads to conflict. Then what gets reported - and enhanced - is the conflict more than the message.

Quote from: Marmalade
That was the point I heard mostly. They may have had the tight, but it was inappropriate IMO  to exercise it.

Agreed. Unfortunately all sides have some firebrands who think by exercising their rights in an inappropriate manner will have more coverage than by other methods.

Alternatively…

Rights are bound up with duties. Rights to free speech are already limited by laws against hate speech, the duty to refrain from hate speech or, in the present case, to refrain from engaging in acts or speech that risk disturbing the peace.

These don’t have to be tested for an arrest to be made. For instance a person disrupting an officially sanctioned public event.

Indeed. I don't think the limitations of free speech when it comes to hate speech are into question here. I think we all agree that is correct.

What I noticed in Wales was that the ‘republicans’, were cordoned off. They could whistle and make a noise, wave their banners, but their small group was not mixed in with the massive group of supporters. They had a greater appearance of a legitimate protest.

I saw that too and it got reported but it didn't have as much impact (as far as I could see anyway) as the "inappropriate" protest. So, if one wanted more coverage to their protest, one can see why they would choose to make themselves a nuisance to achieve it (see my two previous answers above.)

Aside of all that, I think it's very important for people to be heard. Quite a lot of problems can be sorted, misunderstandings cleared or conflicts defused just by listening to people. I happen to do that at work a lot (listening to people having a rant) once they have said their peace they feel better knowing that they are not being ignored and someone has listened to their concerns. Sometimes they don't really want an action or outcomes - they just want to say their piece.

I'm sure a lot of republicans feel like that (I could be wrong of course) they know the UK will, probably, never be a republic but they just want to voice their opinion about it.

Thank you for expressing a contrary view in a gentlemanly manner though: there is always room for polite difference of opinion.

Likewise.

I despair when I see opposing sides trying to "own" the other. Social media is full of that. It achieves nothing, solves nothing, the division gets bigger and no one wins. So everyone ends up in their own echo chambers slagging off the opposition without the slightest effort to start a reasoned dialogue. 

Having said that, and although dogma almost always beats reason, sometimes there are people willing to engage in civilised dialogue which is good for everyone.

Offline sir wanksalot

This thread is fun, reminds me of those extremist US Republicans who go "Now is not the time to discuss this!! Have some respect for the dead/grieving!!!" They usually use that phrase to shoot down any talk of gun control after school shootings.

It's a great phrase, it quashes any opportunity to talk about the uncomfortable things people (maybe?) should talk about.

For ages I've been racking my brains to find a similar phrase for when my wife tries to talk about uncomfortable shit with me!  :D

Why not try....."Darling, this isn't the time. I am trying to calculate whether it might be better to change our mortgage to save us a considerable amount of money each month".

It would be more effective if you had a piece of paper in your hand..............at all times (just in case).

Online akauya

Why not try....."Darling, this isn't the time. I am trying to calculate whether it might be better to change our mortgage to save us a considerable amount of money each month".

It would be more effective if you had a piece of paper in your hand..............at all times (just in case).

Nice one  :thumbsup:

Offline VolapUK

the UK will, probably, never be a republic

Anything is possible in this century, if you ask me. Even that.

Offline Lewwy

This is precisely the point.

We have a problem in that it appears that lots of people have been conditioned to believe that a "right", especially the one to free speech, is an absolute which cannot be impinged upon and which they can execute whenever and wherever they like. This, quite frankly, is bollocks.

No right is an absolute right. Those who think it is are generally the most self-centered, arrogant and objectionable types of people. Every right has its limits both legally and ethically. The right of free speech is no different. There is no such thing as free speech; the right to speaking freely has lots of restrictions and limits in both civil and criminal terms. People get sued for defamation all the time and if you make false police reports you might go to jail, for instance.

Just because we have a right to make our political views known to others and to campaign for things to change, there is no reason as to why this form of speech cannot be limited, and limited under criminal penalty under certain circumstances. There are some things and events where political campaigning or protesting is simply inappropriate and it is entirely reasonable and proportionate that they be restricted. Funerals are one of these, in my opinion. If legislation were passed creating a criminal offence of making political statements at funerals then I would be entirely supportive of it.
Banned reason: Offered free booking because he wouldn't post details.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline spiralnotebook

Talking of conditioning, here’s a clue -  royalty.

Offline Marmalade

One way is to look at it purely in economic terms. The claim is that they generate more for the economy than they cost us. Most of their cost is self-generated anyway. Add to that the vast international prestige. Nope. Economically it doesn't make sense to get rid of them.

Offline stormbringer

Perhaps someone older and respected could fit the bill as elected Head of State?

President Carole Kirkwood could reinvigorate interest in the democratic process...

Very nice lady… worked for her on a few occasions :hi:

Offline timsussex

Famously when kicked out of Egypt King Farouk said
"soon there will only be 5 Kings left, the Kings of England, Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts and Spades"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 11:04:43 pm by timsussex »