Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: PAYG punt phones. No more paying via cash points. What are your options?  (Read 593 times)

Offline PapaSmurf

I've been out of the loop for some time, and recently decided to top up my phone via the usual method of cash point payments. To my surprise there wasn't a singe cash point outlet that would allow me to top up my phone.

It was a easy quick and simple method for me. I know I have the option to pay with my bank card, but I try and limit the amount of time I put my card details online.

Am I the only one in a similar situation? Is everyone just topping up with there bank cards or are there other methods? I remember a time when you could pay over the counter. Not sure if that's still an option.

Offline anonyorks

can still pay over the counter cash in the majority of shops

Offline MME

Yes, it's been stopped since May I think which is a shame.

Pay over the counter at most shops, they'll ask which network, you hand over the cash and the voucher is printed. You use the unique voucher number to add the credit to your phone.

Offline daviemac

• Board Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Does paying via your bank account not defeat the object of having a totally unrelated punting phone.   :unknown:

Offline PapaSmurf

Does paying via your bank account not defeat the object of having a totally unrelated punting phone.   :unknown:
It's not quite the same as sending your back numbers into the ether. Pop you're card into the machine and type your phone number when prompted. It's less about the connection to my punt phone and more about just controlling my day personal information. It was also quick and easy.

No big deal either way.

Offline PapaSmurf

can still pay over the counter cash in the majority of shops

Thanks  :hi: :thumbsup:

Is there a specific reason that banks stopped doing the phone top up? Seems a bit random.

Can't find an answer online. I'm guessing it's some upper management, tax related type shit. Banks maybe wanting a percentage of the mobile providers money.  :unknown:

Offline fisherofsouls

As ever, it depends on who your adversary is likely to be:

1) State actor e.g. police or shady govt dept: you are being tracked in 100 different ways already, no point in trying to hide your punting activity, they will find you whatever you do !!

2) Serious organised criminals (a possibility when punting): your account details including your credit card and home address (and your personal details from a number plate) are readily available for cash from suborned individuals in every major mobile firm & DVLA, so good to buy punting phone for cash and top up for cash and take the bus to the punt !

3) Vindictive prossie: generally too stupid to cross the road unaided, but don't lend her a hand by casually sharing personal IRL details

My assumption is that 99% of the time I am dealing with (3) but I assume I might need to be prepared for (2) thus I keep my various online IDs separate, pay cash for my punting phone, top up with cash and don't drive to punts...

Offline Jerk Chicken

Cash over the counter is live and kicking with zero issues. No need to worry about online payments.
Banned reason: Previously banned (Sean70) - Pimp, dangerous and using UKP review threats to demand extra services
Banned by: Kev40ish

Offline nbarnes

I'm on tesco mobile.

You can just pay cash vouchers over the counter.
I got the phone cash too - total burner, completely anonymous.

Prices Slashed

I bought a new payg sim a few days ago from Tescos and was offered the opportunity to buy the top up  at the self-checkout. Not sure if it was just because I bought the sim.

Prices Slashed

External Link/Members Only

[Giffgaff] Buy top-up voucher at Tesco's self-checkout

Offline Malvolio

I use Boot's - hand over a tenner every few months for a printed voucher.