Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Instant Access  (Read 3252 times)

Online Jonestown

Seems like the block on visitors to the site has been removed, together with the limit on how many threads a visitor could access before being prompted to sign in or register. Better for spreading the word I suppose, but it also gives lurkers and spies/quislings access to the Crown Jewels.

Offline geezer_breezer

I don't like this. It's safer, more discreet and wiser to have all this behind a login screen. Why has it been changed? Seems a crazy idea.

Offline southcoastpunter

When i logged in 10 mins ago, the message that new registrations are currently closed was still showing,  but checking it out by logging off and then coming back as a guest - yes i could access all the sections and it didn't seem to limit me.

But because the message is still showing, i wonder if this guest access is a system errror and not intended?

Offline Watts.E.Dunn

When i logged in 10 mins ago, the message that new registrations are currently closed was still showing,  but checking it out by logging off and then coming back as a guest - yes i could access all the sections and it didn't seem to limit me.

But because the message is still showing, i wonder if this guest access is a system errror and not intended?

I think it best if this forum is kept locked down and members only!

Offline rickyponting

Agree

Offline paper7

Yep, 'free access' to this site's content will cause a lot of problems.

Offline wolfiesmith69

Locked down needed-its like the freemasons its a secret society-hope this changes
Banned reason: Blatant tout, posting multiple reviews and starting a thread to advertise his reviews.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline HarryZZ

People drop off one end of the website and should be replaced at the other, I'm not more special or less weird in my lifestyle choices than anybody who hasn't joined up to today, obviously the greater the numbers the bigger the job, this is an excellent free resource and we should be aware of the amount of work that goes into this site, but there are some really strange reasons people are using for keeping it limited only to existing users.

Offline sensualencounter

Completely agree - the site needs new blood else it will die. At the same time I think only members should be able to view.

Offline Home Alone

Completely agree - the site needs new blood else it will die. At the same time I think only members should be able to view.

I totally agree with the first sentence of that, but I'm not sure how we'd attract new members if Guests couldn't get a feel for the ethos, style, wit & wisdom, etc of the Board. :unknown:

Offline Doc Holliday

I don't know the full history of this forum, but I'm sure in the past some sections have been accessible to view without logging in? Maybe not in the last 12 months though?

This limited viewing is I believe beneficial in attracting traffic and new members .. a minority of whom will start posting after joining.

The real issue is that, for technical reasons, new membership has been closed on and off for some time now. If that is not resolved the forum will gradually decline .. maybe already is?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:14:25 am by Doc Holliday »

Offline sensualencounter

I totally agree with the first sentence of that, but I'm not sure how we'd attract new members if Guests couldn't get a feel for the ethos, style, wit & wisdom, etc of the Board. :unknown:
Fair comment. Although I think everyone who comes here knows what it’s about so could join and then see what it’s all about. Not much but it’s one step of “security” and doesn’t allow the causal observer to see anything.

Offline Doc Holliday

Although I think everyone who comes here knows what it’s about so could join

But that's the point .. they currently cannot join.

Offline tynetunnel

Exactly. So what is the point of anyone who is not a member, being able to view posts? As a result I’ll be having less to say on the site. Some may see this is a positive!  :sarcastic:

Offline Doc Holliday

Exactly. So what is the point of anyone who is not a member, being able to view posts?

Possibly to drive more traffic to the site pending the reinstatement of the joining glitch? (assuming the open access is not itself a glitch?) You would have to ask admin?

Why would you stop posting? Anything you ever post on an internet forum such as UKP is always accessible to the public and the authorities via the membership if not directly. That's why you need to preserve your anonymity.

Offline anyfucker

there never was anything to stop our friends over on mumsnet or safe from signing up
for all you know i might be one of them  :sarcastic:
IMHO it would be good if new members had to wait several days before they could view or post.
but, the owners make the rules as they wish.

Offline tynetunnel

Possibly to drive more traffic to the site pending the reinstatement of the joining glitch? (assuming the open access is not itself a glitch?) You would have to ask admin?

Why would you stop posting? Anything you ever post on an internet forum such as UKP is always accessible to the public and the authorities via the membership if not directly. That's why you need to preserve your anonymity.

I’ll perhaps post less, or more carefully, not stop posting. I do my best to preserve my anonymity as I’m sure we all do. I know that anyone could apply to join, and then read everything. But then they could also have that ability revoked, and not remain totally anonymous, as a ‘guest’ can.

Offline sensualencounter

Sorry didn’t realise that.

Offline Doc Holliday

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 05:52:02 pm by Doc Holliday »

Offline Payyourwaymate

I'm sure the lurkers with no intention of joining the site must be popping champagne right now...even though I used to be a lurker before I joined  :sarcastic:.

Offline katmandu

I'm sure the lurkers with no intention of joining the site must be popping champagne right now...even though I used to be a lurker before I joined  :sarcastic:.
Same here. I think I lurked a bit on every forum before joining up. But when I did sign up I contributed as much useful info as I could and posted reviews. Posted a lot of drunken nonsense too probably but don't we all ?  :drinks:

Offline PatMacGroin

https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?topic=252893.msg2740792#msg2740792

It's open to guests with a limit on views. Normal registration should be restored soon

It should be obvious that the site can't survive if new membership registrations are switched off indefinitely. There are lots of member now, but without new blood that would eventually dwindle away (could take many years, but it would be inevitable). Although it will probably also lead to more work and headaches for the Mods and Admin team once registrations are re-opened.

Personally, I also think limited access to non-members is a good idea. Allow guests to get a taste, but not enough access for fulltime leaching/lurking. I thought that was available when I joined, but looking back at my first posts I realise it wasn't. The blind sign-up did put me off joining for a long time, so I probably would have contributed more reviews from that period if I had known more about UKP.

I suppose the main argument against limited access is that members only access deters curious browsers that find the site by accident, and could just be trouble makers (mums netters, etc). In theory, members only access should make new members more likely to be genuine punters determined to find good SPs.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:48:31 am by PatMacGroin »

Offline slippyin

Has anybody else noticed a drop in new reviews since instant access went live or is it just me? It might be that time of year or are OP's becoming more reticent. I have a new review TOFT that i was going to post but now going to leave it a while longer to put some time between posting and punting.

Offline Beamer

Has anybody else noticed a drop in new reviews since instant access went live or is it just me? It might be that time of year or are OP's becoming more reticent. I have a new review TOFT that i was going to post but now going to leave it a while longer to put some time between posting and punting.

Is this based on fact or your assumption?

Offline slippyin

Assumption - Was asking if anyone else felt the same.

Offline MrMatrix

I agree, this is a great result for the lurkers and people who arent committed to the ethos of the site :hi:
Also a lot of previously banned members must be rubbiing their hands :unknown:

Offline Clitheroelad

I think thats a good point. If you post a negative straight after a visit the SP will likely work out its you. That could cause problems. Having open access to the reviews section is a mistake in my opinion.

Offline RedKettle

I think people are overly excitable.  For most of the site's existence it has been open to non members to come in and have a look - indeed OldAdmin was always relaxed and just wanted people to be able to benefit from the contents.  It is only a group of members who get worked up about lurkers.

He would change access rights from time to time to deal with particular problems or reduce workload.

Anyone who posts on a forum needs to understand they are putting information into a public domain, whatever the access rules at that point.

As to the point about posting a negative straight after a meeting there is plenty of advice on here about how to cover your tracks.  In any case if you used a punting phone and/or punting email it should not matter - presumably you are not intending to revisit!!

Offline kuck

Good to see that google's crawlers are now up to date.  :thumbsup: :drinks:

Results from the last 24 hours:
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site:ukpunting.com&tbs=qdr:d

A review from yesterday:
External Link/Members Only

Offline millbush

Well I own a nche forum much like this size wise,because of the nature of the forum it does have a fair few idiots joining together with many  robotic "members" attemting to join.
I have at times closed registrations but this has a marked affect on forum posts as if it's just the old hands posting there's clearly little new to say,new members with their differing questions and opinions are the life blood of any forum.
A forum like UKP is always going to get a fair few idiots on it not really a lot that can be done.
Banned reason: Troll.

Online Jonestown

A forum like UKP is always going to get a fair few idiots on it not really a lot that can be done.

The Chinese have developed a brain scrambling death ray that can be delivered down the camera lens of a lap top, perhaps admin and the mods could persuade them to lease it for an extended field trial on UKP.

Offline Bogof60

The Chinese have developed a brain scrambling death ray that can be delivered down the camera lens of a lap top, perhaps admin and the mods could persuade them to lease it for an extended field trial on UKP.

Perhaps that's why my brain is a bit scrambled.
 :lol:
Banned reason: Abuse of a mod.

Offline PatMacGroin

Seems like the block on visitors to the site has been removed, together with the limit on how many threads a visitor could access before being prompted to sign in or register. Better for spreading the word I suppose, but it also gives lurkers and spies/quislings access to the Crown Jewels.

Just noticed the below while browsing, I assume it has something to do with the recent access rights changes. It's not surprising that non members visitors will show probably show as "Guest" on the pages they are viewing. But what does "(+1 Hidden)" mean?

Hidden Image/Members Only
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 12:49:13 am by PatMacGroin »

Offline Doc Holliday

But what does "(+1 Hidden)" mean?

It means just that. Admin will have 'manually' set that account username to not be visible.

Online Jonestown

Looks like a 20 topic limit per day has been set before you have to log in, that should quell the lurkers and quislings.

Offline B4bcock

Looks like a 20 topic limit per day has been set before you have to log in, that should quell the lurkers and quislings.

It is a good compromise IMO.  Gives a taste of what the site is about and prevents unlimited leeching whilst encouraging seriously interested (potential) punters to sign up for more.  That's what it made me do a couple of years ago, anyway.

Offline PatMacGroin

It means just that. Admin will have 'manually' set that account username to not be visible.

I figured it would either be intentionally set-up by the Admin team, or something triggered by a bit of playing about with the settings. 

If it is intentional, that does make me wonder... Who's been given "hidden" status? What real benefit do they get from it? Why would the Admin team grant it to them? :unknown:

Offline Payyourwaymate

If you use a VPN is it not possible to bypass that?

Offline Doc Holliday

I understand UKP does not allow access using a VPN?

Offline millbush

Doubt that will work.
Banned reason: Troll.

Offline daviemac

• Board Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
No access using a VPN, all you get is an error message.

Offline maxxblue

Well I own a nche forum much like this size wise

So you claim that you are doctor, and you claim that you own a forum the size of UKP - what else do you claim to do?  :sarcastic:

Offline Payyourwaymate

Doubt that will work.

I understand UKP does not allow access using a VPN?

No access using a VPN, all you get is an error message.

I see, thanks  :hi:.

Offline Moresomes

So you claim that you are doctor, and you claim that you own a forum the size of UKP - what else do you claim? :sarcastic:

He claims he's not a bullshitter.   :sarcastic: :sarcastic: