Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Are WG's feeling the pinch?  (Read 24387 times)

Offline akauya

FT piece here - free to read: External Link/Members Only

Interesting article...

These two bits stood out for me:

"Campaigners say it is more important than ever to review laws that govern the industry, although there is a split between those who want to fully decriminalise it and those who want to outlaw the buying of sex. They all argue that sex work is a part of society that cannot be quietly ignored: the ONS estimates it contributed £4.7bn to GDP in 2021, while one in 10 men in Britain say they have paid for sex."

That's a hefty amount to add to GDP.

I don't believe only 1 in 10 men have paid for sex. That's probably 1 in 10 who admitted doing so.

And this....

"In 2016, the UK parliament’s home affairs select committee found in an inquiry into prostitution laws that sex workers faced “considerable risk” by working alone. It found no evidence that the criminalisation of soliciting was reducing demand, though it did appear to increase women’s exposure to abuse and violence by pushing their activities underground.

The report recommended that “at the earliest opportunity, the Home Office change existing legislation so that soliciting is no longer an offence” and to update brothel-keeping legislation to allow independent sex workers to share premises."

Offline Marmalade

Interesting article...

These two bits stood out for me:

"Campaigners say it is more important than ever to review laws that govern the industry, although there is a split between those who want to fully decriminalise it and those who want to outlaw the buying of sex. They all argue that sex work is a part of society that cannot be quietly ignored: the ONS estimates it contributed £4.7bn to GDP in 2021, while one in 10 men in Britain say they have paid for sex."

That's a hefty amount to add to GDP.

I don't believe only 1 in 10 men have paid for sex. That's probably 1 in 10 who admitted doing so.

And this....

"In 2016, the UK parliament’s home affairs select committee found in an inquiry into prostitution laws that sex workers faced “considerable risk” by working alone. It found no evidence that the criminalisation of soliciting was reducing demand, though it did appear to increase women’s exposure to abuse and violence by pushing their activities underground.

The report recommended that “at the earliest opportunity, the Home Office change existing legislation so that soliciting is no longer an offence” and to update brothel-keeping legislation to allow independent sex workers to share premises."

yes the other 9 have burner phones  :D

But seriously, parliament seldom seems to take much notice of these consultation committees. If they did we would have legal marijuana and legalised assisted suicide.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 04:01:33 am by Marmalade »