Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Punting Phone/ SIM  (Read 10514 times)

Offline enzio

I am thinking of getting a punting phone/ SIM.

I am not sure whether to get a separate punting phone or just a separate sim which I can swap into my non punting mobile (which is SIM unlocked).  Not having researched the matter, these are my musings and I would appreciate enlightenment on the subject.

The advantage I see of getting a phone is that I can keep all my punting texts, phone calls, browsing separate completely.  Also when I am away punting, I can forget my real phone at home and just have the punting phone with me, therefore, the wife would not be able to get in touch.  The disadvantage is that I do like to be contactable by work when away from home.  Also with the punting phone I would not be as bothered to delete all messages, phone calls etc.  If found, therefore, it would have a lot of incrementing evidence on.  Even if I did delete everything it might look a bit suspicious if the wife found I had two phones.

A punting SIM on the other hand is much smaller and it would not be as easy to get to the incriminating evidence on the SIM.  It would be easier to hide.  I would also make sure I delete all the evidence on the phone.  However, I worry a bit about constantly fiddling with swapping SIMS on the back of my phone to go from punting to non punting phone.

What is the best phone, Phone/sim combo or just SIM for punting?  Ideally I would like to pay for the minutes/ texts in advance and have use of those minutes/ texts for the longest period of time possible (i.e. they should not expire after a month).  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline AnthG

A punting SIM on the other hand is much smaller and it would not be as easy to get to the incriminating evidence on the SIM. 

What is the best phone, Phone/sim combo or just SIM for punting?  Ideally I would like to pay for the minutes/ texts in advance and have use of those minutes/ texts for the longest period of time possible (i.e. they should not expire after a month).  Any help would be appreciated.
You need to remember that some phones store the SMS messages and contacts on the phone and not the Sim.

The Iphone and Blackberry are two I know do this.

If you are wanting a Sim only deal this one is pretty good

External Link/Members Only

If you are going for a separate phone I would go for an el-cheapo phone

As a suggestion you could always make up a problem with your phone to excuse carrying the cheap one around as backup.

Today I was in an important call and the phone just cut out. Today that damn phone cut out on me again, you know I am going to buy a cheap phone just to carry around as a backup for if this happens again....

Banned reason: To much drama, account closed
Banned by: Iloveoral

Offline enzio

If you are wanting a Sim only deal this one is pretty good

Thanks for all that; some interesting thoughts.

I think that deal has now expired.  Would it have been that I would have had to pay £7.82 per month even if I did not use the SIM?

SteveNova

If you want a cheap solution try a pay as you go phone.  Ebay has many examples such as this new Nokia for £15.  If you don't  need to access the web it makes an ideal standby/punting phone.  I only have one phone for all my needs but our circumstances are all different.

Offline Jerboa

Yes just get a Pay as you go SIM, If you have a unlocked old phone use that, or get a cheap one at a supermarket.

Offline workinallweek

I have two phones but wipe all texts and calls straight away do have numbers though.
the battery on its pretty crap so most of the time it wont fire up anyway,and its in the glovebox as an emergency or e bay phone ..

Can you still get phones to take two sims ??
Banned reason: Offering glowing positive reviews for free bookings.
Banned by: daviemac

Jacob

Just get a cheapish PAYG and use it for all calls/texts/pictures/video and keep it in the car, as for browsing the web I wouldn't bother with that and just use whatever you normally would. Don't mention the phone and if asked it can either be for 'emergencies' or something you found and picked up in a car park yesterday. Maybe something with removable storage that can easily be removed and anything you want to retain can be moved to that.

James999

Just get a cheapish PAYG and use it for all calls/texts/pictures/video and keep it in the car, as for browsing the web I wouldn't bother with that and just use whatever you normally would. Don't mention the phone and if asked it can either be for 'emergencies' or something you found and picked up in a car park

And make sure you use the "phone / sim lock" and then if found (by spouse) you simply say, "I found it and was meaning to hand it in, but forgot" And of course as it's not YOUR phone you will have no idea what the code is so any texts / numbers on the phone are not visible to the other half.

REMEMBER to lock the Sim as well otherwise it can simply be put in another phone and read  :cool:

Offline Jimmyredcab

I use Virgin mobile on a very old Nokia, I am not on contract and there is no time limit on the top ups, Tesco do some very cheap phones, under £20 -------- just make sure you don't have to use the credit within a certain time.  ;)

ollie1960

I bought  cheap £15 phone from asda £10 top up and no time limit if it runs out just buy a top card , cheap call minutes and I did'nt register the phone as I don't want it traced to me , find it perfect  keep it in my car boot on charge so it never runs down  lucky to have a charging point in the boot , but most modern cars do , suits all my requirements

Offline Daffodil

I picked up a dirt cheap phone at Tesco and just went with their PAYG service. I seem to have really landed on my feet with it...I topped up £20 initially and they gave me an extra £20 of texts/calls that had to be used in one month. I'm now 3 months down the line and I still haven't used any of the credit I paid for...despite, I'm sure, using up all the extra credit they gave me and certainly outside the one month period. Result  :yahoo:

Offline smiths

I picked up a dirt cheap phone at Tesco and just went with their PAYG service. I seem to have really landed on my feet with it...I topped up £20 initially and they gave me an extra £20 of texts/calls that had to be used in one month. I'm now 3 months down the line and I still haven't used any of the credit I paid for...despite, I'm sure, using up all the extra credit they gave me and certainly outside the one month period. Result  :yahoo:

I have benefited in the same way with another provider and with mobile broadband in terms of remaining data being carried over on PAYG which isnt supposed to happen. Its always good to get something extra above what is on offer. ;)

Offline enzio

Found an old phone; will go to the Virgin mobile shop tomorrow and see if I can get a PAYG sim tomorrow similar to Jimmys.  Thanks for the advice.

Offline Jimmyredcab

Found an old phone; will go to the Virgin mobile shop tomorrow and see if I can get a PAYG sim tomorrow similar to Jimmys.  Thanks for the advice.

I am not a "phone person" and my phone is never switched on.
That old phone may be locked to a certain provider such as Vodaphone, no doubt the Virgin shop will be able to tell you.

Offline workinallweek

aLL CARPHONE WAREHOUSE PAYG MOBILES ARE UNLOCKED TO ANY PROVIDER
Banned reason: Offering glowing positive reviews for free bookings.
Banned by: daviemac

Rayban

Can anyone recommend a good Pay As You Go sim? I have an old Nokia 2630 and a Tesco PAYGO sim.

I didn't use all the credit on the card - phone kept for one thing, short calls and texts. Anyway the card recently just stopped working 'Sim card registration failed' and I suspect that it's either (a) been switched off because I'm not topping enough for them or (b) is faulty. 

I can't do anything with the phone and card at the moment - e.g. can't add money or get a note of the balance so I think it's probably time to change.

Any recommendations for a good sim which doesn't expire and where you can buy it for cash - I'm not an expert at these things so any help would be great.

Offline Corus Boy

Can anyone recommend a good Pay As You Go sim? I have an old Nokia 2630 and a Tesco PAYGO sim.

I didn't use all the credit on the card - phone kept for one thing, short calls and texts. Anyway the card recently just stopped working 'Sim card registration failed' and I suspect that it's either (a) been switched off because I'm not topping enough for them or (b) is faulty. 

I can't do anything with the phone and card at the moment - e.g. can't add money or get a note of the balance so I think it's probably time to change.

Any recommendations for a good sim which doesn't expire and where you can buy it for cash - I'm not an expert at these things so any help would be great.

Small print normally requires you to make a chargeable call every 90 days, just topping up is not enough.

If you don't do this the SIM is suspended.  If you have credit on it you may be able to get it re-connected if you visit a phone shop within a month of suspension.

kenw1

As far as I am aware all PAYG SIMS you have to make a chargeable call every so often, often every 3 months to keep the credit.

rogerc23

I have a basic nokia punting phone,was £20 including £10 credit and is a  unregistered payg.I will browse these forums on my main smartphone but only in incognito mode in chrome.
I guess what you do depends on when and where you punt,mine are always in the week during workhours so i keep my batphone hidden within a draw in my desk.There is zero chance of my other half turning up at my work unannounced and even if she did she wouldnt see the phone....

Offline CBPaul

My advice, always use a separate punting phone, don't swap sim cards about. Just too much of a risk of something being left on the phone rather than the sim card.
My punting phone is a crappy old Nokia, used to be my main phone before I got a smart phone. Just hived it off in the excitement of getting a shiny new toy. As with Roger's it now lives locked away and turned off in my desk drawer at work. I top up when necessary by voucher and pay cash. In the unlikely event of Mrs CBP turning up at work, which does happen occasionally, I keep the call logs and message logs cleared.
If I'm don't punt for a bit I make sure I turn it on, charge it up and make an outgoing call once a month as Vodafone locked it out once after 6 weeks of no use and were cunts at giving me the credit back.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:51:57 pm by CBPaul »

Offline Taggart

For anyone using an iPhone + punting SIM and not tech savvy, you need to delete any texts from the SMS log, and also any calls from the call log, so there's no incriminating evidence. Also worth switching Location data to off too, so as to halt GPS logging. And remember to delete any cookies/browsing history, or use Chrome, but select incognito pages.

Others may have other advice.

Roland D Hay

I use the giffgaff network for my punting phone. Top ups are as cheap as they come.

Rayban

Cheers. A lot of good advice. Appreciate it.

Didn't know about the usage thing - I'm away on work a lot and use the phone in spurts (as it were) when I get time off. Someone mentioned Vodafone had a no disconnect policy but that might be a rumour.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 08:46:12 pm by Rayban »

jcdmj12

I've just posted this on another thread, but it seems relevant here:

It's amazing what one can accomplish with determination and skill. Within half an hour of finding the phone, I had managed to break the code. It was simple really as he had purchased a pay-as-you-go phone, which was unregistered, naturally. Getting the pin was easy as a result. I would have thought him cleverer than this but that just goes to show how unbelievably confident he was that he wasn't going to be found out. The thing about deception is that eventually the lies will surface and usually when you least expect them to. He later told me that he had always kept the phone in the safe in his office but that lately he had become a little blase and that he would sometimes keep it in his car, which is where I had found it, while randomly searching for something else.

Always clear your phone.  Assume that one day it will be found. Then take every step to make sure it isn't.  Change phones regularly. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:43:10 pm by jcdmj12 »

Offline Corus Boy

Cheers. A lot of good advice. Appreciate it.

Didn't know about the usage thing - I'm away on work a lot and use the phone in spurts (as it were) when I get time off. Someone mentioned Vodafone had a no disconnect policy but that might be a rumour.

They do!

Offline wristjob

Separate phone is the only way to go - then there is really no risk or something unexpected happening.

I splashed out on a  new Nokia for a tenner a while back - better battery life (less need to charge) and smaller than older phones. I also keypad lock it so nobody can easily see anything on it. Nothing stops you removing the SIM whenever you aren't using it but a SIM with prossy numbers on would be hard to explain. You could do a factory reset and full wipe after each punt. If it's ever found you could say you found it in the street and tossed it in the car and forgot about it.

I have vodafone and haven;t been disconnected despite sporadic use. I just top up a tenner anyway so if they did I just get a new SIM and lose a few pennies.

Someone on here suggested storing all numbers as postcode/name which has worked well for me, especially when looking for a plan B.

Offline akauya

I use a dual sim phone and keep all the prossie numbers on the sim card rather than the phone memory. When the punting sim is off it's like it doesn't exist. When I want to phone a prossie I deactivate my usual sim and activate the punting sim. Saves me carrying two phones around or hiding the punting phone.

Offline Urban_G

I've got an old phone lying about, how can I tell if it's unlocked or not? :unknown:

Offline Steve2

For a punting sim go to External Link/Members Only

A one-off payment of £15 and you get 300 mins and 300 text and data each month and it just tops up to the original balance

NOTHING MORE TO PAY

You can also get a sim for IPAD with loads of data for the same price
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:44:05 pm by Steve2 »

Curious6705

For a punting sim go to External Link/Members Only

A one-off payment of £15 and you get 300 mins and 300 text and data each month and it just tops up to the original balance

NOTHING MORE TO PAY

You can also get a sim for IPAD with loads of data for the same price

Looks a great phone plan thanks  :drinks:, and I keep meaning to get around to ordering a Sim.  :thumbsup:

A small point, but isn't it a one off payment of £20 now?  :hi:

Quote from: Ovivo website
Freedom 0  - You pay £20 today, and we give you £15 of free credit once you've activated your SIM card. The remaining £5 will cover the SIM card and our administration costs

I bought a smartphone for punting, but I like it so much I'd prefer to use it as my personal phone.

I also bought a pay-as-you-go Vodafone 354 in 2012 for punting -

Hidden Image/Members Only

I feel I ought to make an effort to get it unlocked and try it with an Ovivo sim, but slightly worried I might cock it up and brick the phone. Although, I'm punting most weeks now and getting through £10 credit on pay-as-you-go each month, so it's got to be worth trying to unlock it.

I need VPN on mobile internet, which is specifically disallowed on Ovivo, so I'll have to stick with a "normal" provider for that.

Offline Steve2

My 1st one was £10 and the 2nd £15. £20 is still great value

Not sure what VPN is but their sim works fine in my Ipad for data

Unlock Vodaphone 354 for 99p on ebay

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:35:57 pm by Steve2 »

Offline Ali Katt

• Board Moderator
  • Reviews: 28
I've got an old phone lying about, how can I tell if it's unlocked or not? :unknown:
Insert a sim card from another network or try two different network sims.

Offline Corus Boy

1.  Try a couple of different network SIMs in it and see if they work.

2.  Go to your local phone shop.

Rayban

The ovivo deal looks excellent but it looks like you need to give name and address details to get it?

Some good phones out there.  It's too rich for me, but for the well heeled punter...

Offline Urban_G

Insert a sim card from another network or try two different network sims.
Thanks, but I don't have any other sims and it's not worth buying one just to find out.

1.  Try a couple of different network SIMs in it and see if they work.

2.  Go to your local phone shop.
Thanks, good idea. I may take it to one of those guys with the makeshift kiosks you see around town.

Offline wristjob

Thanks, but I don't have any other sims and it's not worth buying one just to find out.

You can get them form 50p or a quid - trivial in the scheme of things.

Offline captaincrunch

Use an old phone an Nokia if you don't have one use ebay to buy it for "emergencies" if anyone is interested why. Lots of stores have phones for FREE (entry level, must top up £10) but they require your home address etc.

As for the sim - supermarkets from tesco to the coop still sell SIM cards for cash without the need to register your address. I like three it's 3p/m on calls and 2p per text

Glader

dont be a cheap ass.

CPW sell phones with £20 credit for around £20-25. you just need texting and calling. Convert the calling credit into a bundle or just pay as you ho...

dump phone in nearest river after use.

Offline akauya

dont be a cheap ass.

CPW sell phones with £20 credit for around £20-25. you just need texting and calling. Convert the calling credit into a bundle or just pay as you ho...

dump phone in nearest river after use.

So you're the one who's polluting the local rivers  :wacko:

Offline Urban_G

You can get them form 50p or a quid - trivial in the scheme of things.
Care to share where I can get a sim for such a small price? What network would these be on?

Offline Corus Boy

Care to share where I can get a sim for such a small price? What network would these be on?

My local corner shop has a sign advertising any network SIM for 99p.

circusbizarre

cheap 20 quid phone on pay as you go does me for punting

Offline CBPaul

The main reason for a punting phone is to avoid getting caught, balance getting caught against a trip to Tesco and spending a tenner on a phone. No contest
Average 120 quid for an hours punting, 10 quid for a phone - no contest

Tesco do a Samsung E1200 and a Nokia 100 both for £9 PAYG. SIMs are £1 as others have said. Pay cash, job done. Cheap basic phones but you don't need anything more.

Without my punting phone I would have been in serious trouble a couple of times.

Offline akauya

Most pound sops sell sims for different networks, they usually place them by the tills - not that I ever visit poundshops of course   :blush:

Offline tel_house

If you want to save money I know that the 99p shop sells them by the tills. I've seen them when I walk past.

Online Anadin

You can buy sims from ebay preloaded with more credit than the cost of the sim

Offline Jerboa

If you have a iphone as a punting phone, and say set up a separate apple account for it, bloody apple still want card details on signing up! Any suggestions?

Offline CoolTiger

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 10
If you have a iphone as a punting phone, and say set up a separate apple account for it, bloody apple still want card details on signing up! Any suggestions?

PAYG Credit Card??

LycaMoney or CashPlus. You would still need an address as to where the card is sent to, so it could be tricky. You then only top-up the required amount.

At one point, it used to be easy, as you could buy a card from a newsagent, etc then top it up.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 04:12:11 pm by CoolTiger »

Offline akauya

Don't use Apple's stuff but this page says something about joining iTunes without a credit card...

HTH

Offline CoolTiger

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 10
Don't use Apple's stuff but this page says something about joining iTunes without a credit card...

HTH

I know of a friend who has an apple account on i-store and has topped up his account using the i-tune vouchers bought from any major supermarkets, so that he has not had to use a debit or a credit card so far.