Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 2023-24 Football season  (Read 43205 times)

Offline Jomoore

He knows how to get clubs promoted from the Championship having done it twice at Norwich.  I expect with the parachute payments he will get Leeds back in the Premier league at the first attempt  .

Farke is good news for Leeds, but things are being left to the last minute, with the new ownership not approved by the EFL yet, not clear about which players leaving and staying, and no hint of new signings.  Things look tough at the top of the Championship, as always, so an automatic return is far from on the cards.

Offline mr.bluesky

Farke is good news for Leeds, but things are being left to the last minute, with the new ownership not approved by the EFL yet, not clear about which players leaving and staying, and no hint of new signings.  Things look tough at the top of the Championship, as always, so an automatic return is far from on the cards.

It is a tough league to get out of (as a Coventry fan we found last season  :cry:) a lot of big clubs will be in the mix this season,  Middlesbrough,  Blackburn, West Brom, Watford, Leicester City, Sunderland  and then there is always a surprise team every season who punch above their weight like we did last season.

Offline shed

External Link/Members Only

Let's all hope that EVS makes a full recovery. Not only was he a great keeper but he is also a very genuine person.

Offline mr.bluesky

External Link/Members Only

Let's all hope that EVS makes a full recovery. Not only was he a great keeper but he is also a very genuine person.

Yeah, sad news indeed,  fingers crossed for him on making a full recovery. Along with Schmeichel  has to rate as one of Man Utds best goalkeepers.

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
I see Newcastle's first 6 games of the season have all been selected for TV, including a now 4.30pm Sunday kick off away at Brighton. So much for considering the fans.

Offline mr.bluesky

I see Newcastle's first 6 games of the season have all been selected for TV, including a now 4.30pm Sunday kick off away at Brighton. So much for considering the fans.

Could be worse, it could be a mid weekgame   :dash:

Offline Drayki

Don’t know if I’m posting on right thread or not, does anyone watch The big match revisited on a Saturday morning on itv4, all the old games from the 70’s and 80’s pitches like farmers fields, my point is  the Goalies wearing the old green jerseys, proper kits, don’t know why they changed to the multi coloured crap they wear in todays games? Not as if they colour clash  ;)

Offline mr.bluesky

Don’t know if I’m posting on right thread or not, does anyone watch The big match revisited on a Saturday morning on itv4, all the old games from the 70’s and 80’s pitches like farmers fields, my point is  the Goalies wearing the old green jerseys, proper kits, don’t know why they changed to the multi coloured crap they wear in todays games? Not as if they colour clash  ;)

I remember Star Soccer in the Midlands on a Sunday afternoon.  Derby County's Baseball ground pitch in the winter had more sand on it than Blackpool beach. Cotton football shirts without advertising logos on them, foreign players a rarity , shirts numbered 1 to 11 so you knew who played where.( only 1 substitute no 12) Proper football played by hard men   :scare:  (come to think of it the football was bloody awful compared to today  :D) if I remember correctly only Goalies who had been capped by their respective countries could wear yellow shirts.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 05:10:27 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline mr.bluesky

England playing Spain in the Eufa U21final now on channel 4

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
England playing Spain in the Eufa U21final now on channel 4
They've played well throughout the tournament, would like to see them win.  They've had a couple of early chances.

Offline mr.bluesky

They've played well throughout the tournament, would like to see them win.  They've had a couple of early chances.

It will be interesting to see how many of this team go on to make the full England team  :unknown:

Offline willie loman

you cant have it both ways, its tv money that makes the english game what it is, there will come a day, when entry to football grounds will be free, as the real money is from the tv audience

Offline ulstersubbie

Haven't seen it. There was something similar years ago called Match of the Seventies, presented by Dennis (you're 'aving a laugh Arfur) Waterman. Good stuff and how the game was played back then.

Offline mr.bluesky

you cant have it both ways, its tv money that makes the english game what it is, there will come a day, when entry to football grounds will be free, as the real money is from the tv audience

Unfortunately for the fans Sky pump millions into the game so they call the shots this is why no foreign clubs can compete with Premier league clubs when it comes to spending power on transfers or Wages. The Premier league is the land of milk and honey. I don't think entry to football grounds will ever be free unless the tv money is spread evenly to all teams which ain't never gonna happen.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 06:23:03 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Blackpool Rock

I remember Star Soccer in the Midlands on a Sunday afternoon.  Derby County's Baseball ground pitch in the winter had more sand on it than Blackpool beach. Cotton football shirts without advertising logos on them, foreign players a rarity , shirts numbered 1 to 11 so you knew who played where.( only 1 substitute no 12) Proper football played by hard men   :scare:  (come to think of it the football was bloody awful compared to today  :D) if I remember correctly only Goalies who had been capped by their respective countries could wear yellow shirts.
Obviously Derby won the league a couple of times in the early to mid 70's but by the time we got to the 80's there were as many Donkeys on the pitch too  :hi:

Offline Blackpool Rock

Haven't seen it. There was something similar years ago called Match of the Seventies, presented by Dennis (you're 'aving a laugh Arfur) Waterman. Good stuff and how the game was played back then.
Yeah no falling over a blade of grass and trying to feign injury back then as you'd have the piss taken for being a sissy  :dancegirl:

Offline willie loman

Unfortunately for the fans Sky pump millions into the game so they call the shots this is why no foreign clubs can compete with Premier league clubs when it comes to spending power on transfers or Wages. The Premier league is the land of milk and honey. I don't think entry to football grounds will ever be free unless the tv money is spread evenly to all teams which ain't never gonna happen.

some big televised matches , particularly european games dont sell out, yet for the spectacle you need the fans to make a noise, the way ahead will be free or subsidised entry, even paying for fans to come in, cannot be ruled out, free tickets have been given out in scotland for years.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 06:49:54 pm by willie loman »

Offline mr.bluesky

some big televised matches , particularly european games dont sell out, yet for the spectacle you need the fans to make a noise, the way ahead will be free or subsidised entry, even paying for fans to come in, cannot be ruled out, free tickets have been given out in scotland for years.

Giving out free tickets is false economy and pisses off the paying fans, The Rugby Union team Wasps tried this when they moved to Coventry, they were getting gates of 15,000 to 20,000 which looked good for a Rugby union team but a lot of those were free tickets and they soon stopped it when they were alienating the true paying fans
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 06:57:37 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline willie loman

Giving out free tickets is false economy and pisses off the paying fans, The Rugby Union team Wasps tried this when they moved to Coventry, they were getting gates of 15,000 to 20,000 which looked good for a Rugby union team but a lot of those were free tickets and they soon stopped it when they were alienating the true paying fans

the tv companies will decide on that, in many ways we are just at the beginning of this journey, you are still stuck in the era of the pie and the bovril, tv audience is in the the hundreds of millions, money through the gate is almost irrelevant.

Offline Blackpool Rock

England under 21's win with the keeper being the hero saving a penalty deep into injury time  :drinks:

Offline mr.bluesky

the tv companies will decide on that, in many ways we are just at the beginning of this journey, you are still stuck in the era of the pie and the bovril, tv audience is in the the hundreds of millions, money through the gate is almost irrelevant.

The smaller clubs still rely on gate money as tv money is not shared out equally.  Not every club plays in the Premier League. Do you honestly think a team like Raith Rovers could exist without gate money and handing out hundreds
of free tickets. Dream on :unknown:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 07:09:17 pm by mr.bluesky »

Online timsussex

Very poor ref (Norwegian) who missed so many niggling fouls and seemed to want to even up any red card by giving one to the other side.
Good to see Abel-Ruiz who won the penalty by lying in agony for 5 minutes then surprisingly leapt up to take the penalty make a hash of it
Great double save from Trafford though

Offline mr.bluesky

Well done to England's young lions on winning The Eufa U21 championship.  James Trafford the hero saving a very late penalty.  The referee was an absolute joke, no control over the game ,dishing out yellow and red cards willy nilly. England went through the tournament without conceding a single goal. A bad tempered tetchy game but England get the win  :yahoo:
Well done to coach Lee Carsley who used to coach Coventry City's U18 team so he's come from a good coaching background  :D
Daviemac will be pleased to see his man Gordon get the player of the tournament award. Should set him up for a good season with the toon.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 07:18:22 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Blackpool Rock

Very poor ref (Norwegian) who missed so many niggling fouls and seemed to want to even up any red card by giving one to the other side.
Good to see Abel-Ruiz who won the penalty by lying in agony for 5 minutes then surprisingly leapt up to take the penalty make a hash of it
Great double save from Trafford though
Indeed it was a great double save and thankfully the 3rd guy blazed it over the bar  :thumbsup:

Ironically the keeper is called Trafford but plays for City  :D

Offline willie loman

The smaller clubs still rely on gate money as tv money is not shared out equally.  Not every club plays in the Premier League. Do you honestly think a team like Raith Rovers could exist without gate money and handing out hundreds
of free tickets. Dream on :unknown:

you havent really grasped the point, raith rovers are irrelevant to this argument, the point is if tv companies requires an crowd and the they cannot get people to pay to enter, they will give places away for nothing, and yes come a day, people will be paid to go along, and even get free pies etc

Online timsussex

Even DM would surely wonder why Gordon got player of the Tournament instead of Trafford who never conceded a goal and finished with that double save.

Suppose it had been decided before that but all the same it always seems to be the attackers that get the credit.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 07:20:38 pm by timsussex »

Offline mr.bluesky

you havent really grasped the point, raith rovers are irrelevant to this argument, the point is if tv companies requires an crowd and the they cannot get people to pay to enter, they will give places away for nothing, and yes come a day, people will be paid to go along, and even get free pies etc

I think you've had too much whisky willie  :wacko: If that's what you think no wonder Scottish football can't be taken seriously
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 07:35:54 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline mr.bluesky

Even DM would surely wonder why Gordon got player of the Tournament instead of Trafford who never conceded a goal and finished with that double save.

Suppose it had been decided before that but all the same it always seems to be the attackers that get the credit.

Yeah Trafford would have been a more deserving winner as player of the tournament as he didn't conceed a single goal but like you say goalkeepers are often overlooked. It was a soft penalty to be awarded but it all ended well.

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
I'm not complaining, the point I was making is how many of Newcastle's games are televised, all but 2 in 2023 were televised and now the first 6 of this season.

The Brighton game could have been brought forward instead of putting it back which would have made it easier for the fans.

It makes no difference if it's on tele or not every game home and away will be a sellout.

Offline willie loman

I think you've had too much whisky willie  :wacko: If that's what you think no wonder Scottish football can't be taken seriously

in the sixties the various leagues opposed games being televised, live, and they were mean with the highlights, we couldnt even see scotland england games on the telly, if a football league game was being played that day, look how wrong they got that, i am astonished at your parochial outlook, a remarkable  inability to see into the future, its a tiny minority of football fans who actually go to the stadiums, and they are very age limited, on the whole its a young persons leisure activity, the overwhelming  majority of football fans havent been to a stadium in years, and thats not going to change, its a tv sport , get used to it.

Offline willie loman

I'm not complaining, the point I was making is how many of Newcastle's games are televised, all but 2 in 2023 were televised and now the first 6 of this season.

The Brighton game could have been brought forward instead of putting it back which would have made it easier for the fans.

It makes no difference if it's on tele or not every game home and away will be a sellout.

if you accept the football money, you accept their conditions, celtic rangers play at 1230, at the behest of the tv companies,

Online timsussex

if you accept the football money, you accept their conditions, celtic rangers play at 1230, at the behest of the tv companies,

I always thought that was to avoid fans spending 3 hours in the pub before old firm derbies

Offline mr.bluesky

I believe when Rangers played Celtic towards the end of the season which was shown on Sky there wasn't any away fans in the stadium
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 08:10:53 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline willie loman

I always thought that was to avoid fans spending 3 hours in the pub before old firm derbies

if you look at the six nations rugby tournament, you can see how the matches are arranged for tv, and ultimately for the benefit of the majority of fans who dont actually go near a stadium, you can if you wish spend hours watching one match after another.

Online timsussex

I wonder what the SKY economics are
Pay £x million for rights
recoup from
1) Home Sky fees  £50 a month ?

2) Pubs Sky fees   £1.1k a month for the smallest pub and £2.5k for the largest with multi screens ?

3) sales round the world inc live sat afternoon coverage ?

I wonder what the percentages are between those 3

Offline Blackpool Rock

Correct, there are certain fixtures which are considered "High Risk" and I believe the police ask for the start time to be early to avoid too many fans being totally out of it by the time it gets going

The Old Firm games in Scotland and Liverpool / Man Utd also springs to mind

Offline willie loman

I believe when Rangers played Celtic towards the end of the season which was shown on Sky there wasn't any away fans in the stadium

that is true, but of no relevance to the argument, rangers and celtic decided that it suited them, but i suspect they will change their tune, these matches require hostile fans baiting each other

Offline willie loman

Correct, there are certain fixtures which are considered "High Risk" and I believe the police ask for the start time to be early to avoid too many fans being totally out of it by the time it gets going

while the police have an input on the timing of certain matches, the early kick off at rangers , celtic games, is entirely down to tv

Offline willie loman

recoup from

2) Pubs Sky fees   £1.1k a month for the smallest pub and £2.5k for the largest with multi screens ?

we can safely say that the figure surpasses the modest amounts that the match generates at the gate.

Offline Blackpool Rock

while the police have an input on the timing of certain matches, the early kick off at rangers , celtic games, is entirely down to tv
But in your previous post you said the kick off was early as it suited the clubs  :dash:

Offline willie loman

But in your previous post you said the kick off was early as it suited the clubs  :dash:

i said the exclusion of opposing fans suited both clubs

Offline Blackpool Rock

recoup from

The Sky economies only work due to so many people actually stumping up the extortionate amount each month.

If the people back in the early 90's hadn't paid up then Murdoch's business model would never have worked and we wouldn't be getting ripped off now  :thumbsdown:

Offline Blackpool Rock

i said the exclusion of opposing fans suited both clubs
Reading it back yes you did, my apologies  :hi:

Offline willie loman

The Sky economies only work due to so many people actually stumping up the extortionate amount each month.

If the people back in the early 90's hadn't paid up then Murdoch's business model would never have worked and we wouldn't be getting ripped off now  :thumbsdown:

if only murdoch would rip us off in all the other areas of british life, if only he could get interested in the nhs, schools , railways etc, i for one would welcome him, if it was nt for murdoch, english football would be  11 mediocrities kicking another ll, in empty stadiums
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 08:44:38 pm by willie loman »

Offline Blackpool Rock

if only murdoch would rip us off in all the other areas of british life, if only he could get interested in the nhs, schools , railways etc, i for one would welcome him, if it was nt for murdoch, english football would be  11 mediocrities kicking another ll, in empty stadiums
So basically the Scottish model then  :drinks:

Offline mr.bluesky

With the exception of Celtic and Rangers a lot like Scottish football then.
Strange but I thought teams like Man Utd, Liverpool, Newcastle were getting crowds of 40,000 or 50,000 before Sky became interested in English football.  :unknown:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 09:22:14 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline shed

Indeed it was a great double save and thankfully the 3rd guy blazed it over the bar  :thumbsup:

Ironically the keeper is called Trafford but plays for City  :D

Nope he now plays for Burnley

Offline shed

Why should any special consideration be given to Newcastle  :unknown: fixtures are re arranged throughout the season because of cup competitions and television rights. Something Newcastle will have to get used to.  Top clubs have been complaining and moaning about fixture arrangements for years. It's nothing new. The majority of top ten sides plus are fully booked home and away. Even teams in the championship are the same. True supporters don't care when the games are or at what time. Not in my experience anyway

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator

Why should any special consideration be given to Newcastle  :unknown: fixtures are re arranged throughout the season because of cup competitions and television rights. Something Newcastle will have to get used to.  Top clubs have been complaining and moaning about fixture arrangements for years. It's nothing new. The majority of top ten sides plus are fully booked home and away. Even teams in the championship are the same. True supporters don't care when the games are or at what time. Not in my experience anyway
FFS do people not read what is posted??? Where have I said Newcastle should have special treatment can you point it out?

I'm not complaining, I'm not expecting any special treatment, I made the statement that TV companies do not consider football supporters when scheduling kick off times and by that I mean any football supporters.

It just so happened I was talking about Newcastle and used the Brighton game as an example, a game that could have been moved to earlier and not later. It makes no difference to our supporters when the kick off is at any ground, the away end will be sold out.

In my post I said the game could have been moved, not should be moved.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 10:07:17 pm by daviemac »

Offline martini2429

• Temp ban until
    27/02/24 @ 16:24
  • Reviews: 0

Both of the games between Huddersfield and Leeds this season have already been moved to a 12.30pm kick off at the request of West Yorkshire Police, very rarely have these games kicked off at a time other than this, fans still get pissed up and fight, always have, always will

:drinks: